Colo. gay discrimination alleged over...

Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

There are 56152 comments on the Denver Post story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake. In it, Denver Post reports that:

Engaged gay couple Dave Mullins, second from left, and Charlie Craig, left, were joined by a small group of supporters in Lakewood on Aug. 4, 2012 to protest and boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop at 3355 S. Wadsworth Blvd. The couple went to the cake shop, and the owner turned the couple away saying he would not make them a rainbow-themed wedding ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Post.

The Goo Fighter

Honolulu, HI

#2410 Jun 23, 2014
NO MORE of this in Colorado
I'm in Hemet CA.
and YES, I am insecure in the presence of people who have no soul.
I make BAAAAD things happen to them and then I feel secure.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#2411 Jun 23, 2014
The Goo Fighter wrote:
NO MORE of this in Colorado
I'm in Hemet CA.
and YES, I am insecure in the presence of people who have no soul.
I make BAAAAD things happen to them and then I feel secure.
Relax tough guy.
Yeshet Eddie

Denver, CO

#2412 Jun 24, 2014
Being a Bi-Sexual woman and hoping to made a nice Ethiopian lady one day I think it is wrong to discrimate against gays, I also go by Yeshet Gobena, I am out of the closet
Yeshet Gobena

Denver, CO

#2413 Jun 24, 2014
Dan wrote:
This is the only bakery in Denver?
Go to another one, buy the cake and enjoy it.
I bake your cake if they don't
YorWorkIsDOcUmEn Ted

Honolulu, HI

#2414 Jun 24, 2014
Been crying like nut crazy stupid person from JOY!!!
NOW that cake in Colorado WILL EXIST.
And that LAW in California WILL STAND.
I was the Goo Fighter. So was This Aircraft back in WW2
May You FLY with GOD!
YorWorkIsDOcUmEn Ted

Honolulu, HI

#2415 Jun 24, 2014
I got to see this in person soon after returning safely to Cali.
https://www.youtube.com/watch ...
During the wing-over maneuver I thougt he was going to fall from the sky. He was straight above me and I actually started runnin' for my life!
The plane then swooped the grocery store in front of me before I got very far!*s-ss-Spectacular*!!!
They were there to love and protect us all.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2416 Jun 24, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>You are consistent within your own argument, but it doesn't make you any less wrong. The long and the short of it is that you make qualifying statements that you support marriage equality, but then instantly reverse your position by arguing that people should be able to refuse service to such couples on the basis of their free exercise of religion. You couldn't be more wrong. In no way does providing a service (baked goods, flowers, photography, etc) infringe upon the religious freedom of the vendors in question.
The courts in the several states where this question has been raised have consistently ruled against your position, and the issue has been appealed as far as the US Supreme Court, which refused to hear the case.
Respect71 wrote, "Government forcing him to provide a wedding cake to support and participate in the event violates his belief that marriage is only between a husband and wife."

Of course, you misinterpret the issue. The government did not force him to do anything. They held that IF he chooses to bake wedding cakes, that he must do so for ANY client who chooses to order one. They also left him the ability not to offer the service, which similarly satisfies the non-discrimination question. To allow him to refuse service on the basis of sexual orientation is no different than refusing service because one doesn't like Jews, black people, or idiots.
I think it is terribly curious that some people are actually arguing in favor of discrimination on the basis of religious belief. That seems fundamentally anti-American.
Respect71 wrote, "Government forcing him to use his talents to provide a wedding cake to a gay couple is marginalizing the bakers religious views, and i understand that is hard for you too understand because of your distain."

No, it isn't. It is the enforcement of anti-discrimination laws, which have regularly been upheld as constitutional.
A business is an economic engine, which exist to provide a service to generate a profit. It is not a ministry, or a mouthpiece to spread one's religious moral beliefs. If they have a strong objection, then they are free not to provide the service of baking wedding cakes. They don't have the right to make customers comply with the religious beliefs of the owner in order to obtain service.
Respect71 wrote, "You marginalize, ridicule, and demonize a person because of their belief in what marriage is and your desire to use government to force them to believe as you is wrong."

No, I don't. Actually, it is the baker who is marginalizing, ridiculing, and demonizing the homosexuals. No judgment of the baker has taken place, in fact the couple in question has paid homage to their skills and reputation by selecting that baker to provide services.

You see, Respect, the person who actually takes the action, in this case denying service, is the one marginalizing, ridiculing, and demonizing. The baker has no right to project their religious beliefs onto others.

Your argument is extremely poorly reasoned, which is why it has CONSITENTLY failed in various courts of law.
Then you agree in prosecuting the gay graphic designer who denies services to Westboro baptist church for discrimination.
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2417 Jun 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you agree in prosecuting the gay graphic designer who denies services to Westboro baptist church for discrimination.
How many times do you have to be told the difference between the customer and content before you understand it?

If the graphic designer made a cool "Garage Sale" sign last week and sold it to someone, and the WBC comes in today and wants the same sign, the designers cannot refuse to serve them because of their religious beliefs.

However, if they ask for a "God hates f***" sign, the graphic designer can refuse, because he is refusing on the basis of the content being requested, not the customer's religion.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2418 Jun 24, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>How many times do you have to be told the difference between the customer and content before you understand it?

If the graphic designer made a cool "Garage Sale" sign last week and sold it to someone, and the WBC comes in today and wants the same sign, the designers cannot refuse to serve them because of their religious beliefs.

However, if they ask for a "God hates f***" sign, the graphic designer can refuse, because he is refusing on the basis of the content being requested, not the customer's religion.
Explain the meaning of a wedding cake. To discriminate service for any reason is against Colorado law. So says you and your friends. I stand for freedom for all Americans, Christian bakers and gay graphic designers. Their talents are not the governments to be forced.
Level 4

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2419 Jun 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain the meaning of a wedding cake.
A wedding cake has no inherent meaning. It is simply a cake that is served at a wedding.
Respect71 wrote:
To discriminate service for any reason is against Colorado law. So says you and your friends.
False. Anti-discrimination laws protect people based on certain traits like race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. They do not cover "any reason".
Abrahammock Religions

Philadelphia, PA

#2420 Jun 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You predictably have confused love (marriage) for hate (homophobic performance art.)

You're very sick, it pleases me to note. And there's no place in educated society for trash like you.
Abrahammock Religions

Philadelphia, PA

#2421 Jun 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain the meaning of a wedding cake. To discriminate service for any reason is against Colorado law.
You're sick, and lying about the law. You're lying about the law despite the additional fact that you are incapable of understanding the law.

A graphic designer may not refuse service to all Christians just because they are Christians.

The sexually sick, hypocritical christianist - who bakes wedding cakes for co habitating couples, divorced people who are re marrying, couples who commit the sin of coveting - refuses service to an entire protected class of persons.

He's a stu pid bigot who does not follow scripture. He has a homosexual fixation, as you do.
igotta ASK

Honolulu, HI

#2422 Jun 24, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain the meaning of a wedding cake. To discriminate service for any reason is against Colorado law. So says you and your friends. I stand for freedom for all Americans, Christian bakers and gay graphic designers. Their talents are not the governments to be forced.
Ok, you know those signs up in some businesses that say
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" ?
Did the bakery have one of those signs and
and if so how has that worked out for the baker?
What is the CURRENT status of this issue ?
Abrahammock Religions

Philadelphia, PA

#2423 Jun 24, 2014
igotta ASK wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, you know those signs up in some businesses that say
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" ?
Cletus, here's a helpful hint:

You don't get to rewrite laws (that you don't understand in the first place) by putting up a sign in your business with a different law.

Tee baggrz! Yeehaaw!

Now, any business can throw out an unruly or non paying customer. A business cannot refuse service to an entire class of persons who are protected in the law simply on the basis that they are in that group. So you can't throw all black people out of your business...though I bet you'd like to.
Git

Honolulu, HI

#2424 Jun 24, 2014
Don't call me anything, You're a psycho and YOU'RE NOT HELPING
I have NO political affiliation.
GO to the Nob Hill Inn at 420 e Colfax and ask Angie about the sign in the bar and speak to her like a piece of shit like you spoke to me just now c*cksucker.
U ain't got no group you're in 'cuz you're so DISRESPECTFUL you're stupid with it, and I won't bother with trash like you again. If you have anything else to puke or shit outta you, I'm in Hemet CA.
Abrahammock Religions

Philadelphia, PA

#2426 Jun 24, 2014
Git wrote:
Don't call me anything,
Excuse me, sexually sick trash, you don't understand the law. As I said the presence of some sign like that has no bearing on the issue at hand. I explained the difference, but as usual the tee baggrz, who "have no political affiliation," except ignorance, misogyny and homophobia, could not avail themselves of actual information.

lides

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2427 Jun 25, 2014
Respect71 wrote:
No, moron, as I have pointed out time and time again, that is a different issue.

"Finally, Respondents argue that if they are compelled to make a cake for a
same-sex wedding, then a black baker could not refuse to make a cake bearing a white-supremacist message for a member of the Aryan Nation; and an Islamic baker could not
refuse to make a cake denigrating the Koran for the Westboro Baptist Church.
However, neither of these fanciful hypothetical situations proves Respondentsí point. In
both cases, it is the explicit, unmistakable, offensive message that the bakers are asked
to put on the cake that gives rise to the bakersí free speech right to refuse. That,
however, is not the case here, where Respondents refused to bake any cake for
Complainants regardless of what was written on it or what it looked like. Respondents
have no free speech right to refuse because they were only asked to bake a cake, not
make a speech."
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/asse...

You look positively mindless, when you routinely raise this argument, not acknowledging that it has already been addressed as a matter of law, and it doesn't pass the lowest levels of judicial scrutiny.
ZZZzz

Honolulu, HI

#2428 Jun 25, 2014
Abrahammock Religions wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, sexually sick trash, you don't understand the law. As I said the presence of some sign like that has no bearing on the issue at hand. I explained the difference, but as usual the tee baggrz, who "have no political affiliation," except ignorance, misogyny and homophobia, could not avail themselves of actual information.
...SNORT!..*-Huh?
...ya woke me up -
oh,...ZZZZZzzz
mmm...dreaming

i'm not in Colorado,....
ZZZZZZzzzz
ZZZzz

Honolulu, HI

#2429 Jun 25, 2014
-A Beautiful Spanish Fairytale to Enjoy with that Cake-
Some beautiful Spanish folks in Denver raised me up to be a REAL gentleman and CURED me of any misconceptions about sexual morality/immorality These folks gave me an old 'codex'-'it' grabbed me and showed me where I really come from. It and THEY also explained everything i'd ever been taught - AND a LOT I had not - about manners, public conduct and the VALUE of a good name; RESPECT for your reputation IS respect for yourself.
jackpot!
I was in a relationship with James. He and his sister Pat saved me from MYSELF by teaching me "Grace". NOW I feel like this all the time without fear of mistreatment or abuse from anyone. They showed me to my "true self", and THAT guy is NOT playin' because he/I is kind, beautiful and strong
just like James n Pat. No one brings ugliness to this place of grace. They just KNOW not to. They also gave me a treasure map to the most ASTOUNDING story ever told. There is a shade of "reddish blue" on this map that lead me to an ethereal place that's REAL.(seen it on Google Earth, it's real; won't say where to protect it) The color also lead me to Revelations 21:20 TOUCHDOWN!!!
That place had a king a1000 years ago that started it. Saw his picture up close - HE wasn't playin' either - now I know what i'm gonna look like when I'm 70.
Yes, that was me just over a year ago in Denver. I would have married him, but brothers cannot be lovers too.
His love has delivered me home to Hemet, with the map - and a Message of a kind of Divinity or something that brought me to the Hemet-Ryan airfield to see that P-38 Lightning I keep flying around this forum. The Beautiful Isreali Woman Yeshet Gobena said she will make the cake -
FABULOUS!
ZZZzz

Honolulu, HI

#2430 Jun 25, 2014
Yeshet Gobena wrote:
<quoted text> I bake your cake if they don't
Yeshet Eddie wrote:
Being a Bi-Sexual woman and hoping to made a nice Ethiopian lady one day I think it is wrong to discrimate against gays, I also go by Yeshet Gobena, I am out of the closet

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court appears favorable to Secret Servi... (Mar '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 26
Men wearing panties and bra and sex with women (Jul '16) 3 hr Jill 22
Are you ready? Fri tbird19482 3
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) Fri tbird19482 30,003
Male on Female Facesitting topix? (Nov '16) Sep 22 Girl-seat 19
News PHOTOS: Historic 150-ton Kirkland Museum moves ... Sep 21 Culture Artist 2
Denver Health Medical Center, place of horrors (Jul '13) Sep 21 Tilly 39

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages