Store uses scorpions to protect valuable jewelry

Jul 14, 2007 Read more: KUSA Denver 15
Burglars won't be running into one Michigan jewelry store if they know what's good for them. Read more
thief

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Jul 14, 2007
That scorpion is not deadly. It's called Pandinus imperator a.k.a Emperors. They are not supposed to be in sand because they're not desert species. They should be kept in moist and humid environment. You can actually handle that scorpion species without worrying about it's venom. Just my 2 cents.
Onitram

New Lenox, IL

#2 Jul 14, 2007
Pandinus imperator

Habitat:
Tropical forrest and Rainforrest. Humid environment. Lives in empty or self-made burrows up to 30 cm in lenght.

Mildly venomous, but painful sting. Harmless for healthy humans. Note that they have very strong pedipalps, which can give very painful pinches. Will rarely sting, but young individuals and females with scorplings can be more prone to stinging.
lychas

Brisbane, Australia

#3 Jul 14, 2007
why doesnt he replace them with some parabuthis lol

“Does not play well with others”

Since: Apr 07

Longmont, CO

#4 Jul 15, 2007
Nobody said they were deadly, just that a would-be thief would think twice before reaching a hand into the display.

Deadly or not, I really wouldn't want to get stung or pinched anyway.
HAHA

Lyons, CO

#5 Jul 15, 2007
This wouldn't stop any one, think about it, if someone was going to rob the place, they would not be afraid of the owner having a gun, so some silly scorpions would be brushed aside.

Sounds like a way to get some free advertising, and it worked.
Dale_ C

United States

#6 Jul 15, 2007
I think it's a great idea. Rattlesnakes would also work well----a snake for a snake!
bugguy

Denver, CO

#7 Jul 15, 2007
RAID!!!!!!!
holyguacamole

Pleasanton, CA

#8 Jul 15, 2007
that is great marketing. Now if they could fit a couple nude chicks (in hot shape) in the display , they would really be in business.
Gary Hempel

Zimmerman, MN

#9 Jul 15, 2007
They can safely remove the jewelry because those are Pandinus imperator scorpions . Very docile and very mild sting if they ever tried to sting you. There is nothing dangerous about those scorpions at all. Now if they want it dangerous they can get some Leiurus quinquestriatus quinquestriatus AKA Israeli Death Stalkers...they dont look very scary but can kill you ...
thief

Ottawa, Canada

#10 Jul 15, 2007
if i'm robbing that store and I have a gun. I would just shoot that scorpion point blank then take the jewellry. Even a bb-gun will take that scorpions life away.
plasmo

Evergreen, CO

#11 Jul 15, 2007
PIT BULLS!

Fill the display with pit bulls. No one in their right mind would attempt to steal something. On second thought - no one in their right mind would own a pit bull in the first place so maybe that won't work.

“I'm 100% American & Proud”

Since: Apr 07

TiJuana, Co (Denver)

#12 Jul 15, 2007
The crooks just need to bring a bottle of RAID. The best security is a shotgun, just shoot the theives.
Just me

United States

#13 Jul 15, 2007
thief wrote:
That scorpion is not deadly. It's called Pandinus imperator a.k.a Emperors. They are not supposed to be in sand because they're not desert species. They should be kept in moist and humid environment. You can actually handle that scorpion species without worrying about it's venom. Just my 2 cents.
But there is one draw back the food they like is Crickets and if you drop the Crickets or they jump out of the container before you get them in to the Terrarium! They will drive you nuts! There are some that are poisonous to humans look here for more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion
John

Golden, CO

#14 Jul 16, 2007
That's a pretty funny story as the species of scorpion in the jewelry case is a harmles species. Its sting is no worse than that of a bee. If they keep the scorpions on sand they will soon die as that is a species from the jungles of central Africa. Silly publicity stunt showing the general ignorance regarding scorpions.
emmanuel

Makati, Philippines

#15 Jul 20, 2007
they should have placed Death stalker, Leiurus quinquestriatus instead...hehehehe...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 36 min lides 19,173
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 1 hr Reverend Alan 2,612
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 5 hr scirocco 17,401
Colorado Law Enforcement Switches Message in Th... 13 hr Culture Auditor 1
News 2 men in flaming car ram Glasgow Airport; suspe... (Jun '07) 17 hr joec106 6
You rule the planet. How do you save the human... (Dec '12) 19 hr Respect71 1,312
~:Any Word:~ (Sep '13) 21 hr Red_Forman 104
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]