Stupidity in the Airlines

Stupidity in the Airlines

Posted in the Denver Forum

Since: Oct 07

Denver, CO

#1 Apr 23, 2008
How is it that airlines are loosing money? I travel a lot for work & I have yet to be on a plane this year that was not overbooked. They say fuel prices are killing their profits.

With the demand for air travel, why don't they raise prices? They may loose some of the overbookings, but the planes will still be full.

Overbooking is another stupid thing. They sell some one a ticket. Then they offer a free ticket if they give up thier seat for a later flight. So you get 2 trips for the price of one. If they are worried about cancelations, change your policy. No refunds two weeks prior to departure. Let people buy travel insurance for unforeseen cancelation reasons.

2 years ago, I took 5 free trips from one ticket that I didn't even have to pay for. I

“Who likes shots & has 2 thumbs”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

BOULDER

#2 Apr 24, 2008
I think if you can lose billions of dollars you are pretty cool. I never will. =)

“Does not play well with others”

Since: Apr 07

Longmont, CO

#3 Apr 27, 2008
They're not "losing" money in the sense that you and I would be.

Airlines, and most large corporations, project how much money they're going to make in a certain period of time. To use round numbers, they may project that they will make 1 million dollars this quarter. At the end of the quarter, they've only made 900,000. In their eyes, they've "lost" 100,000.

Using this logic, I'd like to say that this year I will make 1 million dollars...if I fall short of that, maybe the government can bail me out too!

“Who likes shots & has 2 thumbs”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

BOULDER

#4 Apr 29, 2008
CAUTION wrote:
They're not "losing" money in the sense that you and I would be.
Airlines, and most large corporations, project how much money they're going to make in a certain period of time. To use round numbers, they may project that they will make 1 million dollars this quarter. At the end of the quarter, they've only made 900,000. In their eyes, they've "lost" 100,000.
Using this logic, I'd like to say that this year I will make 1 million dollars...if I fall short of that, maybe the government can bail me out too!
Good idea. I am game!=)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 47 min Freedomofexpression 53,931
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 1 hr Respect71 29,674
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Tue Television Engineer 740
Nicole DuBois Savage (Feb '17) Sun Jamie Dundee 19
last post wins! (Feb '11) Aug 18 Princess Hey 26,389
Taylor Swift touched or not touched Aug 18 Assquatch 3
Respect71 is a hypocritical LOSER (Dec '15) Aug 17 Avid reader 16

Denver Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Denver Mortgages