“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10655 May 29, 2013
Study: Republicans are “the less credible party”

Many politicians stretch the truth or obfuscate to some degree or another — but does one party do it more than the other? According to a new study from the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University the answer is an unequivocal yes. Parsing 100 statements evaluated by the fact-checking website PolitiFact between Obama’s second inauguration and this month, the researchers found that claims from Republican officials were labeled as “false” or “pants on fire” by a 3-to-1 margin, compared to claims from Democratic officials. Conversely, half as many Republican claims were labeled “entirely true.”

“While Republicans see a credibility gap in the Obama administration, PolitiFact rates Republicans as the less credible party,” said CMPA president Robert Lichter in a press release. An earlier study from the CMPA found the website rated the Romney campaign worse than the Obama campaign during the 2012 election. Not surprisingly, Michele Bachmann is one of the most poorly rated politicians on PolitiFact.

Undoubtably, Republicans would blame this on “bias,” accusing the fact checkers of operating as little more than Democratic Party shills.“We’re not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers,” Romney pollster Neil Newhouse famously declared last summer after the campaign got whacked for running nakedly false ads.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/28/study_republi...

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#10656 May 29, 2013
Fascinating also to see Bob Dole speaking out about this mutant version of the GOP...Actually suggesting that they close for repairs...and that Ronald Reagan would'nt recognize or feel comfortable, with these republicans.....Wonder what effect, Fox has had on the honesty and manufactured outrage associated with the far right....

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10657 May 29, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then they will conveniently forgot who when asked directly.
Americans deserve better.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-02-23...

"Reagan said ``I don`t recall`` or ``I can`t remember`` 88 times in the eight hours of testimony taken Feb. 16-17 in Los Angeles."

Worked for Reagan..lol.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#10659 May 29, 2013
District9 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Reagan said ``I don`t recall`` or ``I can`t remember`` 88 times in the eight hours of testimony taken Feb. 16-17 in Los Angeles."
Worked for Reagan..lol.
You’re kidding right? Ronald Reagan was 79 years old and what was Reagan suffering from? Alzheimer’s… So whether you like it or not, he very well may have NOT recalled or remembered much of anything at that point… Plus the evidence that was found in investigation didn’t show he had knowledge of the transactions, however, was deeply criticized and should have known.

Regardless, Benghazi, the IRS, and the AP scandals are substantial and the American public deserve answers. Our president had clear intelligence on where Osama Bin Laden was, was able to put him down, and now you choose to believe he believed the attack in Benghazi was a protest about a Youtube video? He’s the smartest president we have had so far yet he reads about the IRS targeting in the paper like the rest of us? Looking at the few facts in these cases it is illogical to even think about that conclusion.

Obamacare is coming are you ready for the IRS to dig into your insurance and medical history to see if you need to be taxed or not, especially after targeting political and religious groups?

If you want a government that can pick and choose instead of adhering to the law of the land then you are a sorry excuse for an American

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10660 May 29, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re kidding right? Ronald Reagan was 79 years old and what was Reagan suffering from? Alzheimer’s… So whether you like it or not, he very well may have NOT recalled or remembered much of anything at that point… Plus the evidence that was found in investigation didn’t show he had knowledge of the transactions, however, was deeply criticized and should have known.
No, I'm not kidding. Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1994. Five years after he left office. Stop making excuses for him. I remember Iran-Contra very well when it happened. Maybe you should ask Barry Seal what he thinks about Ollie North and his orders from a "higher authority". Read up on it.

BTW, the IRS will not have access to your medical records. Another scare tactic from the right.
and so what

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10661 May 29, 2013
District9 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not kidding. Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1994. Five years after he left office. Stop making excuses for him. I remember Iran-Contra very well when it happened. Maybe you should ask Barry Seal what he thinks about Ollie North and his orders from a "higher authority". Read up on it.
BTW, the IRS will not have access to your medical records. Another scare tactic from the right.
You have been diagnosed as a liar and an unemployed loser, how is that unemployment line working out for you in Paragould Ar.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#10662 May 29, 2013
District9 wrote:
<quoted text>
History is what it is. You obviously prefer to revise just like with the current administration that you favor.

This administration is lying to America, and you love it… Why do you tell us all what’s to stop the IRS from accessing our insurance info when it’s the prerequisite for taxing Americans as a mandate?

Tell us how awesome “Fast and Furious” was… Tell us how our state department knew the 911 attack was because of a video. Tell us how obama got elected while the IRS targeted conservatives so their funds were tied up and unable to allow election efforts. Tell us how justified our government was to do what they did to the AP.

Now that your side is neck deep in all their lies all you can do is propitiate their lies by lying yourself. You’re not a American.
mmkedu

Kansas City, MO

#10663 May 29, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Fascinating also to see Bob Dole speaking out about this mutant version of the GOP...Actually suggesting that they close for repairs...and that Ronald Reagan would'nt recognize or feel comfortable, with these republicans.....Wonder what effect, Fox has had on the honesty and manufactured outrage associated with the far right....
Dole has been irrelevant for over 10 years. Like Carter, yet you demturds hang on to his every word.
mmkedu

Kansas City, MO

#10664 May 29, 2013
District9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Worked for Reagan..lol.
Said the DNC tool.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10665 May 29, 2013
District9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Worked for Reagan..lol.
That's because he was not calling the shots his wife and staff were covering up the fact that he was in the end stages of Alzheimer's disease.Good chance he did not know where he was either.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#10666 May 30, 2013
mmkedu wrote:
<quoted text>Dole has been irrelevant for over 10 years. Like Carter, yet you demturds hang on to his every word.
Mutant Reich are too dysfunctional to learn from their elders......
Tizzy

Denver, CO

#10667 May 30, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Mutant Reich are too dysfunctional to learn from their elders......
You must be referring to Debbie Wasserman Schultz? Claire Mccaskill? Eric Holder?

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10668 May 30, 2013
mmkedu wrote:
<quoted text>Said the DNC tool.
It is a fact about Reagan, one that you don't seem to like.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10669 May 30, 2013
Respect71 wrote:
<quoted text>
History is what it is. You obviously prefer to revise just like with the current administration that you favor.
I'm not re-writing anything. Again, Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1994. Did you see it that time? Five years after he left office and four years after he testified. From his testimony it seems he had selective memory loss.

"JUDGE HAROLD H. GREENE: Good morning. The witness from whom we will hear this morning is the former President of the United States, Ronald W. Reagan.

THE CLERK: Would you please state your full name and spell your last name for the record.

THE WITNESS: Ronald Reagan, R-e-a-g-a-n.

Direct Examination

By Mr. Beckler

General Recollection

Q. Now, just in a very general sense, Mr. President, I take it you have some recollection of the events that led up to what is now called, for lack of a better word, the Iran-contra affair or the Iran-contra event?

A. Yes. Did you --

Q. Yes. I was just asking if you had some general recollection about the event.

A. Yes. It was a covert action that was taken at my behest.

Q. Can you tell the ladies and gentlemen of the jury what you understand - what you understood the Iranian initiative to be? This was the initiative that started - by the U.S. Government - in early 1986.

A.... There once was at the time of the Shah a very fine relationship between our two countries. With the Khomeini in office, that had gone by the boards. And so a delegation of ours - I believe it was all from the National Security Council - journeyed to that third country to meet with these people. That third country had advised that in their opinion these people were responsible and sincere in what they were seeking.

That third country that I have mentioned is Israel, and they did vouch for the individuals who had come to their country. Obviously, those individuals could not come on the errand that they were on unless it could be kept secret because I am quite sure they would have faced execution by the Government of Iran, had they been exposed.

Q. So, one of the things then that you always felt about this initiative both starting with the Israeli portion of it and then when it became a U.S. initiative that it was important to keep it secret; is that correct?

A. Yes, very much so.

Q. Later on as 1985 went on, do you recall getting some of your top advisers together -Secretary Weinberger and Secretary Shultz - and discussing in a little more depth this Israeli initiative to send weapons overseas to Iran?

A. Yes.

Q. Maybe you could tell the jury a little bit about what you recall about those meetings and the fact that there was disagreement and so on?

A.... I made the decision that there was one thing upon which we could base selling them this single order [of TOW antitank missiles]... if they would use their efforts to get our hostages freed....

If you want the disagreement that occurred between our people, some of our people said that this would - they didn't say it was trading for hostages 'cause it wasn't. My answer - they said it would be made to appear that way if it ever came to light. My answer to that was that if I had a child kidnapped and held for ransom, and if I knew of someone who had perhaps the ability to get that child back, it wouldn't be dealing with the kidnappers to ask that individual to do that. And it would be perfectly fitting for me to reward that individuals for doing this. So, that was my position with regard to what they were asking and what they were doing....

People Working on Project

Q. Did you at any time recall being informed by Admiral Poindexter as to who some of the people were that were working on this Iranian missile project, if you will?

A. The only name that I recall being involved out at that end of it was Colonel North.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10670 May 30, 2013
Q.... Do you recall being told that there were certain private individuals who were also working on that project under the coordination of Oliver North?

A. No, I don't. I wouldn't --

Q. Does the name General Secord mean anything to you at all?

A. Yes. I had heard that name and heard that he had as I understood it, that he had some kind of an aero business, a delivery business, and that he might have been involved with delivering some aid to the contras when it was legal to provide such aid.

Q. We will talk about the contras later. In other words, you remember more in the context of the contras, the freedom fighters, rather than with regard to the missiles, I take it?

A. That's right. Yes.

Q. Do you have any recollection as well in 1986 of Admiral Poindexter briefing you about the fact that there were going to be some Hawk missile spare parts sent to Iran under this continuing initiative?

A. The only thing that I am aware of, and I cannot remember any meeting on this or not, was I do have a memory of learning or hearing that the Israelis, prior to these other things, had sent some of their Hawk missiles to Iran evidently in that sale.

Q. Did you and Admiral Poindexter, Mr. President, discuss how the United States at that time in the early part of November 1986 should react to the disclosure about the trip to Iran, what position the U.S. should take?

A. Well --

Q. In terms of disclosure?

A. Well, there was never a time when I believed that we could endanger the people that we were dealing with. And to this day, I couldn't name them, and I don't know what might have taken what might have happened to them.

Q. Do you recall having any discussion with Admiral Poindexter about having him try to get people together to kind of reconstruct what had happened so that if the time came to make certain disclosure, you would have some kind of a story together?...

A. I don't recall. I don't recall that.

Q. Did there come a time at all when you and Admiral Poindexter met with other Administration officials or members - as well as members of Congress and try to relate to them what had gone on?

A. I don't recall anything having to do with the Congress in that sense.

Q. Do you recall in 1986 meeting at all with Mr. Meese and asking him if he can lend a hand in straightening out the recollections of various people?

A. No. My memory of Mr. Meese's participation was when, after all of that thing had broken, that he was the one who located a piece of paper in some office that indicated that there was additional money. And that was - his participation was as Attorney General in case there was something untoward that was waiting there to haunt us. And that was where I got the knowledge about the extra money, and that is the only thing that I remember about from him.

Casey Testimony to Congress

Q. Mr. President, do you recall that the late Mr. Casey had to go up there to Congress and testify on Nov. 21 about this meeting - about what he knew about these missile shipments?

A. I wasn't aware of that. No....

Q. Do you recall, Mr. President, then that Admiral Poindexter on that same morning, Friday, Nov. 21, that he himself met with members of the House Intelligence Committee and members of the Senate Intelligence Committee over in the White House? Do you recall discussing that with Admiral Poindexter?

A. No. But I have to point out that this continued saying of ''I don't recall,'' that so many meetings - and I have been told by statisticians that my average of meetings with people was about 80 a day for eight years - that I don't recall these meetings. And not because they weren't important, and I am sure that I dealt with things at the time.

Q. Now, did there come a time, Mr. President, in 1984 - early 1984 - when it looked like funds that Congress had provided for contra support were running out? Do you recall that time frame?

A. Yes.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10671 May 30, 2013
Instructions on Contra Aid

Q. Do you recall what your instructions were to your top people at that time as to what ought to be done about this?

A. Yes. My instructions were that whatever we did in trying to maintain the existence of the contras should be done within the law. I emphasized that at every time. And I knew that there were groups of citizens who were on the side of the contras and who were soliciting funds to be of help to the contras. And I told them that maybe some of these citizens, these people, wouldn't know who to contact or how to contact the proper people to deliver the aid that they had raised for them. And that I did not believe it was violating the law if our people who knew, and the answer to those questions, would tell them, inform them as to how they could make contact. But, again, I emphasized no solicitation.

Q. And is it fair to say, Mr. President, that the discussion at this meeting with regard to getting third country funding or funding from individuals was one that you wanted to keep secret; is that correct?

A..... Washington is a sieve. And I found in eight years it was virtually impossible to find out who was doing the leaking and shut them up. And so, I said that last line, and I was talking about if we ever get our hands on the people who are doing the leaking of this various secret information that - that we'd be hanging by our thumbs in front of the White House until we found out who did it.

Yes, I said this. I felt very strongly about this.

Attitude on Boland Amendment

Q. Was it your belief - what was your belief as to what the effect of the Boland Amendment [which prohibited Federal agencies from providing military aid, directly or indirectly, to the Nicaraguan rebels] was on you and Admiral Poindexter when you were in the White House back there in late '84?

A. Well, my answer to that is if that - if this was - the Boland Amendment was doing what I recall it was doing and shutting off aid to them, that my feeling was that it was a disaster.

Q. And what effect, if any, did that have on your efforts to seek third-country support or support from private individuals?

A. Well, I think by that time we were already - we had already taken action in letting people know that we thought that they ought to help the contras.

Q.... Do you recall having an opinion as to whether or not the N.S.C. was covered by the Boland Amendment?

A. I remember being told that there were certain levels of government or agencies and so forth that were not prohibited by the Boland Amendment, and I remember that. And this was in connection with my telling us that we must stay within the law and so forth. And I never challenged or questioned what I was told about that or something else because, not being a lawyer myself, but being surrounded by a number of them in government, I figured that I was hearing the truth when they told me that something could be done and still be exempt from the Boland Amendment.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10672 May 30, 2013
Q. Mr. President, I am going to show you a memorandum which was prepared for you in 1985. It concerns a report on a Central American trip that was made by General Vessey.

Could you explain to the members of the jury who General Vessey was?

A. Oh, dear. I could ask for help here. The name I know is very familiar. I am wondering if --

Q. This is in connection with a trip by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

A. Well, that - I don't - I don't think this was my military aide, but obviously he was in a position to do this if he was the Chief of Staff.

Well, this report by General Vessey apparently was to Secretary Weinberger, Secretary of Defense, and all....

Honduras and the United States have had a military thing in which we have used their country at their permission for the training of some of our forces in jungle warfare. And so it doesn't surprise me at all to - about communications there with General Vessey and talking about Honduras. We had frequent contact with them.

Assignment to Poindexter

Q. Now, one of the first assignments that Admiral Poindexter received from you was to make a trip down to Central America himself....

Do you recall at all what Admiral Poindexter reported to you, just in a very general sense, when he returned from Central America?

A. No.

Q. This would have been now in January of '86.

A. No. I couldn't bring that to mind with all of the meetings that we had and all of the things, the constant information we were getting. So, I couldn't specify particularly what that was.

Q. Do you recall any discussions that he may have had with you about the construction of an airstrip down there in Central America?

A. Well, I did hear - we had learned that there was a rather primitive lane in there in the jungle near the border of Costa Rica, and that was then being put into better shape as a usable airstrip.

North's Job at the White House

Q. Could you please describe to the jury what you know about Oliver North and what his job was when he was working the White House.

A.... It was my impression, not from any specific reports or anything, that in through all of this that he was communicating back and forth between on the need for the support of the contras and so forth.

Q. When you say ''communicating back and forth between,'' could you be a little more explicit for the jury? Even though you and I might know --

A. Yeah.

Q.-- maybe you can explain to the jury what you are referring to?

A. Well, between the contras and their situation and ourselves and the things that we must do for them....

You have to have people that can be available to make contact with the leaders of the contras and so forth, sometimes closer than just writing a letter. And it was my feeling and my understanding - I did not meet individually with him to any extent at all. But it was my understanding because his name would crop up in memos and so forth that that's what he was doing.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10673 May 30, 2013
Cross-Examination By Mr. Webb

False Testimony to Congress

Q. Let me ask you this question based on your role as Chief Executive of this nation, Sir. If the information that Robert McFarlane provided to Congress in 1985 was false, contained lies, and deceived and obstructed Congress, would it still be your belief that John Poindexter should readopt those false statements in responding to Congress on July 21, 1986?

A. Well, I simply - no, I did not have this information, but I have a great deal of confidence in the man who was quoted as sending these letters, McFarlane....

Q. I understand. But I am just asking you, as I understand it - am I correct, Mr. President, that the letter that you are looking at there from John Poindexter dated July 21, 1986, you, yourself, actually did not approve and authorize those letters at the time that they were sent; is that correct?

A. I have no recollection of doing so.

Q. O.K.

A. But that could be my memory. I don't remember.

Q.... My question to you is, Sir: If you knew that the previous information provided to Congress by Mr. McFarlane was false, would you authorize John Poindexter to reaffirm that false information in these letters?

A. No.

Swiss Bank Accounts

Q. As I understand, on direct examination, you related to some extent that your Attorney General Ed Meese on or about Nov. 24, 1986, after making some type of evaluation and inquiry into the Iranian arms sale initiative advised you that he had discovered that there was some Swiss bank accounts involved, and that money out of the Iran arms sales appeared to have gone in some way to assist the contras.

Do you recall that?

A. What I testified is that that's what was being published and carried on by the press. But to this day, all I know is that some sum of money over and above the $12.2 million purchase price appeared in a Swiss back account in which it was said that account had been used on another occasions to provide help to the contras.

And to this day, I still with all of the investigations that have been made, I still have never been given one iota of evidence as to who collected the price, who delivered the final delivery of the weapons, or what was -whether there was never more money in that Swiss account that had been diverted someplace else. I am still waiting to find those things out and have never found them out.

Q. And when the Attorney General told you about these residual proceeds, was that the first time that you knew about it?

A.... that is when I appointed a Tower Commission to see if they could find out where, what was the source of the other money, was any of it diverted. All I knew was the figure that was given me of the money that was in the separate bank account.

I had no knowledge then or now that there had been a diversion, and I never used the term. And all I knew was that there was some money that came from some place in another account, and that the appearance was that it might have been a part of the negotiated sale.

Q. At any time, Sir, while you were President, did you ever approve or give authority to John Poindexter to obstruct or impede any Congressional committee inquiry into events relating to the Iran-contra controversy?

A. No, I don't --

Q. And at any time did you ever approve or give authority to John Poindexter to make any false or misleading statements to any Congressional committee regarding events related to the Iran-contra controversy?

A. No. And I don't think any false statements were made.

Q. You are aware that the Boland Amendment became law; is that correct, Mr. President?

A. Yeah.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10674 May 30, 2013
Q. Once that happened and the ability of your Administration to continue to fund assistance to the contras for military and paramilitary activities, once that happened, you did not - am I correct, you never authorized the National Security Council, your National Security Council, to continue to aid the contras militarily and paramilitarily in the same way that the C.I.A. had done; is that correct?

A. Apparently so.

Recess until 9:45 A.M., Saturday, Feb. 17.

Q. Who told you that the allegations in the press about North being involved in assisting the contras was false or incorrect?

A. Well, here again, to try and remember such a thing in the position that I was in and with all that was going on, no. There were any number of people who could have provided that answer. It could have been Bill Casey, the late Bill Casey from C.I.A. It could have been Admiral Poindexter. It could have been some people from the Defense Department, or all of the people that were involved in some way and to some extent about what was going on and our trying to get the Congress to support us in that activity. But right now, for me to put my finger on who told me something, no.

Authorization to Aid Contras

Q. Mr. President, did you ever authorize Oliver North or the National Security Council to use Richard Secord or Albert Hakim to assist in providing financial and military support for the contras?

A. No. I had heard reports about them in connection with some of the private groups that were trying to reach the contras with aid and so forth. I knew very little about either one of them or - but I had heard their names connected with such things.

JUDGE HAROLD H. GREENE:... The letter from Mr. McFarlane apparently indicates that no effort has been made or will be made to provide military or paramilitary -support for military or paramilitary operations in Nicaragua. The Tower Commission report appears to indicate that Colonel North did make expenditures for contra military equipment, supplies, and so on.

Do you find that the two are consistent with each other, or if they are inconsistent, do you find that the second one brands the first one as a falsehood?

I think that is what he is trying to find out.

A. Well, I have to say there's - in the wording of all of this, possible there is a - it could be interpreted that other way. I had not because I am remembering my telling those same people to be helpful to private citizens who were trying to do something that the Congress of the United States refused to do and abandoning its responsibility.

Q. Do you remember that Mr. McFarlane, the man who sent the letter, has pled guilty in open court to withholding information from Congress in connection with that letter?

A. No, I was not aware of that.

Q. Now, at any time prior to November of 1986 while the Iranian initiative was going on, do you recall any conversation with your national security adviser, John Poindexter, in which he in any way hinted or suggested or in any way told you anything about these excess profits and the diversion to the contras?

A. There was never any such conversation because the only information we had was that there was money in excess over the twelve million two that had been deposited in a Swiss Bank account.... That this money that was in that account, to my knowledge, is - could very well be just the total amount that was ever in there.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Location hidden

#10675 May 30, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/23/us/excerpts...

You can read the complete word for word testimony he made there.

You get the idea. He clearly was in shape and had selective memory.

One thing is for sure, if Obama testified to Congress and used "I don't recall", "I don't remember" or "I wasn't aware of that" the Republicans would he calling for his head on a platter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teacher back in class after Bush-Hitler comparison (Mar '06) 12 min Swedenforever 96
Review: Exotlcas Exotic Dancer Store Of Conveni... 4 hr Reynaldo 1
last post wins! (Feb '11) 5 hr NotaGoth 24,875
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 10 hr Jonah1 6,131
drugs and dealers Fri Reyna lokita 2
Denver tar? (Aug '11) Fri Reyna lokita 6
Housewife convicted of frying husband (Mar '07) Fri DILF 69
Denver Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Denver News, Events & Info