Experts increasingly contemplate end of smoking

Feb 9, 2014 Full story: Sacramento Bee Newspaper 74

In this Wednesday, May 20, 1998 file photo, Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski, right, stands with school children in an anti-tobacco rally on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Feb 10, 2014
Restrictions of freedom, are never worthy of contemplation.....

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#2 Feb 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Restrictions of freedom, are never worthy of contemplation.....
Too bad. Smokers are going the way of the dinosaur.

Level 7

Location hidden

#3 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad. Smokers are going the way of the dinosaur.
It's hugely destructive, way, way more than pot....but it's freedom, should'nt be denied.....let it die naturally...

Location hidden

#4 Feb 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> It's hugely destructive, way, way more than pot....but it's freedom, should'nt be denied.....let it die naturally...
freedom for smokers is taking away freedom for non smokers. Nonsmokers are a larger group.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#5 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
freedom for smokers is taking away freedom for non smokers. Nonsmokers are a larger group.
What freedom is a non-smoker deprived of when a smoker has theirs?

Location hidden

#6 Feb 10, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What freedom is a non-smoker deprived of when a smoker has theirs?
The ability to be able to go anywhere without being assaulted by toxic second hand smoke. For many non smokers, smoke inside a restaurant removes the choice of going inside because cigarette smoke negatively impacts them. Smokers, being the selfish, idiotic, addicts that they are, think it is okay to breathe in hot, toxic gasses. They think that nobody else is bothered by second hand smoke "Well gee, I've been breathing secondhand smoke AND smoking for years and look at me- I'm still OK."

So, sit and look at the world through smoke and tar covered glasses. The rest of us are not putting up with your addictions any longer. Not being able to smoke inside of someplace does not mean you cannot go inside. If you REALLY cannot go for the length of a meal or a drink without having a cigarette and are unable to step outside to have one, then your addiction is so bad you might as well contemplate putting a bullet in your brain.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#7 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
The ability to be able to go anywhere without being assaulted by toxic second hand smoke. For many non smokers, smoke inside a restaurant removes the choice of going inside because cigarette smoke negatively impacts them. Smokers, being the selfish, idiotic, addicts that they are, think it is okay to breathe in hot, toxic gasses. They think that nobody else is bothered by second hand smoke "Well gee, I've been breathing secondhand smoke AND smoking for years and look at me- I'm still OK."
So, sit and look at the world through smoke and tar covered glasses. The rest of us are not putting up with your addictions any longer. Not being able to smoke inside of someplace does not mean you cannot go inside. If you REALLY cannot go for the length of a meal or a drink without having a cigarette and are unable to step outside to have one, then your addiction is so bad you might as well contemplate putting a bullet in your brain.
You aren't being prohibited from going places where you won't be exposed to SHS.

What an odd statement from you.

If I am smoking outside, 5 miles from you, this somehow nullifies your ability to go somewhere where someone ISN'T smoking? I don't get that.

Also, going to a restaurant that allows smoking is somehow a person simply taking refuge from the outdoors?("....smoke inside a restaurant removes the choice of going inside...")....and given this (faulty) premise, you'd deny the smoker the same refuge?

Very confusing, Bud.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#8 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
".......They think that nobody else is bothered by second hand smoke...."

Um, there isn't any freedom from being bothered by other people.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 10, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't being prohibited from going places where you won't be exposed to SHS.
What an odd statement from you.
If I am smoking outside, 5 miles from you, this somehow nullifies your ability to go somewhere where someone ISN'T smoking? I don't get that.
Also, going to a restaurant that allows smoking is somehow a person simply taking refuge from the outdoors?("....smoke inside a restaurant removes the choice of going inside...")....and given this (faulty) premise, you'd deny the smoker the same refuge?
Very confusing, Bud.
A smoker can take refuge inside a restaurant- they just can't smoke there.

I'll bet your parents told you you were "special"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#10 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what restaurants are for.

My parents assuredly didn't tell me that I'm special to the degree that I can conform society to my wishes. That seems to be the lecture you got from Mr. & Mrs. Bud Sr.

Location hidden

#11 Feb 10, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
".......They think that nobody else is bothered by second hand smoke...."
Um, there isn't any freedom from being bothered by other people.
Um
Being bothered by second hand smoke is not being bothered by other people. It is the inability to breathe well. It is eyes burning. It is getting sick upon exposure to second hand smoke. And fortunately for the non smoker and unfortunately for the selfish, idiotic, addicted smoker- More and more laws are being put into place to protect non smokers.

Smokers are really sad examples of human beings. They cannot go through a meal without having to have a cigarette. They are too selfish to step outside, away from the majority of people who do not smoke, to have that cigarette that they are so addicted to.

There really is no difference between banning smoking at a restaurant table and banning having sex on that same table. Of course, YOU would say that we are discriminating against people who have sex by not allowing them to copulate on the table.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#12 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, if I'm smoking outside 5 miles from you, how does that impact your freedom to go somewhere where no one's smoking?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#13 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Um
Being bothered by second hand smoke is not being bothered by other people. It is the inability to breathe well. It is eyes burning. It is getting sick upon exposure to second hand smoke. And fortunately for the non smoker and unfortunately for the selfish, idiotic, addicted smoker- More and more laws are being put into place to protect non smokers.
Smokers are really sad examples of human beings. They cannot go through a meal without having to have a cigarette. They are too selfish to step outside, away from the majority of people who do not smoke, to have that cigarette that they are so addicted to.
There really is no difference between banning smoking at a restaurant table and banning having sex on that same table. Of course, YOU would say that we are discriminating against people who have sex by not allowing them to copulate on the table.
Yeah, it's being bothered by other people, as the cigs don't smoke themselves.

You don't get sick walking by a smoker, nor do you get sick sitting in a room with them for the duration of a meal, a cocktail or a few frames of bowling. You may cough, but you don't become ill. You just don't. It's not mustard gas.

As for the rest of your post, you're simply using the AS talk track: dehumanizing people, etc. You can run that at your club meetings or whatever. It's a poor surrogate for an argument. So is the "analogy" of tabletop copulation at a restaurant.

Location hidden

#14 Feb 10, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it's being bothered by other people, as the cigs don't smoke themselves.
You don't get sick walking by a smoker, nor do you get sick sitting in a room with them for the duration of a meal, a cocktail or a few frames of bowling. You may cough, but you don't become ill. You just don't. It's not mustard gas.
As for the rest of your post, you're simply using the AS talk track: dehumanizing people, etc. You can run that at your club meetings or whatever. It's a poor surrogate for an argument. So is the "analogy" of tabletop copulation at a restaurant.
You rode the short bus to school, didn't you?

Level 7

Location hidden

#15 Feb 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
You rode the short bus to school, didn't you?
Can't defend you position, just man up and admit it....

Location hidden

#16 Feb 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Can't defend you position, just man up and admit it....
I don't have to defend my position to you. You are such an addict that God himself could come here and tell you how bad cigarettes were and you would still believe Marlboro. The number of places you can smoke is down and the cost of smokes is up. It will only get worse. Must suck to be a smoker today.

Level 7

Location hidden

#17 Feb 10, 2014
There's no man there, at all......

Location hidden

#18 Feb 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
There's no man there, at all......
Yup
Exactly what your wife says. You know what smoking does to an erection.
d pantz

United States

#19 Feb 10, 2014
I actually agree wit Blue for once.
d pantz

United States

#20 Feb 10, 2014
That is a nice lookin pup.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISSL - Bushes legacy. What is the lure? 1 hr Bev Jamison 2
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Terra Firma 3,301
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 3 hr Go Blue Forever 12,540
Denver Dispatch'Awesome' Michelle Obama Thrills... 3 hr disgruntled reader 1
Play the "end of the word" game (Jul '11) Wed sss 4,216
Old evidence at new trial (May '06) Wed Dad 1,110
Review: Amerimax Windows (Jul '10) Wed Jon 33
•••
•••

Denver Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Denver People Search