CONSUMER REPORTS: Bright energy savers

Full story: KUSA Denver 21
Consumer Reports, with the assistance of an outside lab, just tested hundreds of compact fluorescent lights . Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ron

Parker, CO

#1 Sep 22, 2007
I am sure excel will charge more to make up the difference, you still will have the same amount to have to pay, it is all a scam.
Mike

Littleton, CO

#2 Sep 22, 2007
We changed every light bulb in the house to these last winter - probably about 40 bulbs in all. I haven't noticed any change in my electric bill.
CO Mommy

Denver, CO

#3 Sep 22, 2007
Mike wrote:
We changed every light bulb in the house to these last winter - probably about 40 bulbs in all. I haven't noticed any change in my electric bill.
Same with us. I'm not noticing a difference in ours either. Makes you wonder if it's even worth paying the extra.
BAC

Boulder, CO

#4 Sep 22, 2007
And what do they mean "have to be disposed of properly"...
these bulbs contain MERCURY, people.
Anyone else heard the story of the woman in Maine who broke one in her home... and $2,000 later she "properly" disposed of it?
tom

Berthoud, CO

#5 Sep 22, 2007
i can buy 4 60 watt reg bulbs @ wallgreens for aroud .99....sounds like a "wash" to me...just more environmental bulls%$t.....
Butthead

Littleton, CO

#6 Sep 23, 2007
BAC wrote:
And what do they mean "have to be disposed of properly"...
these bulbs contain MERCURY, people.
All fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, not just these compact ones. The 4' ones in the shop light in your garage, to the ones lighting almost every commercial building.
Blueberry Pie

Greeley, CO

#8 Sep 23, 2007
They are a waste of money. The package says that they will work for 5 years of so. Nonsense. You're lucky to get 1/2 of a year.
Don

Littleton, CO

#9 Sep 23, 2007
I've never heard of how to "dispose of properly". Just what is the proper procedure and why doesn't 9News ever mention this in their commercials?
Bright_light

Denver, CO

#10 Sep 23, 2007
I cannot see any real savings. What is the point if I save $5 a year (if I ever do with these bulbs) and Excel ups the bill $15. So I saved 5 but I hardly use any now. I think the potential savings comes form the long term "on all the time" lights which most homes and people don't use them that way.

Do we really think Xcel will cut back on staff and executive pay if we all conserve and use less energy costing less in overhead for them. NO! I got the flyer with my bill about $1 light bulbs at Home depot but when I went there they knew nothing about the offer.
tried that

Pueblo, CO

#11 Sep 23, 2007
They will work for 5 to 10 years if used very sparingly. The old fashioned ones will too.
So Will

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 23, 2007
Just not turning on lights and running around with a candle.

“Managing Internal Chaos”

Since: Jul 07

Denver

#13 Sep 23, 2007
I have worked in the Energy industry for years. CFL's do save money by using less electricity to put out the same amount of lumins. Those of you who haven't noticed the difference in your excel bills should take note of the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour and compare that to last year. Had you not put in CFL's your 'difference' would be a marked increase rather than no difference at all. It is hard to realize $ savings when the bottom line is constantly going up. You should instead be paying attention to the energy consumption totals.

How they work: Traditional lightbulbs, which essentially havent changed much in design since Thomas Edison invented them, convert 5% of their energy into light and convert 95% of their energy into wasted heat. CFL's convert a full 25% of their energy into light, lessening the waste to just 75%. You can still touch them after they have been on for hours.

Many cities have a recycling system that usually consists of drop-off days. Contact your local city government to find out when and where to take your used CFL's in with your used paint cans, etc. Yes, all flourescent lights contain mercury and always have. If you are worried about forgetting about this danger, make a note on a piece of tape or a label and place it in your light fixture where you will be reminded when you change that CFL sometime after 2012. Happy illuminating!
yamon

Helena, MT

#14 Sep 23, 2007
I have used these for a number of years now. I dont know if they save on my electric bill or not but Im saving on light bulbs. They do last longer. I have one in the kitchen that has lasted for at least 8 years. My electric bill ranges from a low of $60 to a high of 130 /mo. and my house is 2300sq feet. I do heat with wood.

“'Facts are stubborn things'-RR”

Since: Jul 07

Boulder, CO

#15 Sep 23, 2007
Craazy wrote:
I have worked in the Energy industry for years. CFL's do save money by using less electricity to put out the same amount of lumins. Those of you who haven't noticed the difference in your excel bills should take note of the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour and compare that to last year. Had you not put in CFL's your 'difference' would be a marked increase rather than no difference at all. It is hard to realize $ savings when the bottom line is constantly going up. You should instead be paying attention to the energy consumption totals.
How they work: Traditional lightbulbs, which essentially havent changed much in design since Thomas Edison invented them, convert 5% of their energy into light and convert 95% of their energy into wasted heat. CFL's convert a full 25% of their energy into light, lessening the waste to just 75%. You can still touch them after they have been on for hours.
Many cities have a recycling system that usually consists of drop-off days. Contact your local city government to find out when and where to take your used CFL's in with your used paint cans, etc. Yes, all flourescent lights contain mercury and always have. If you are worried about forgetting about this danger, make a note on a piece of tape or a label and place it in your light fixture where you will be reminded when you change that CFL sometime after 2012. Happy illuminating!
While interesting, the biggest drawback to these things is that they cannot be dimmed. It's either on or off. Nothing in between.

And, as one poster noted, they seem to make more sense in 24x7 applications like apartment/hotel complex EXIT signs and security lighting.

I have a few installed in medium usage locations where they are turned on and off many times a day. After a while, they eventually don't startup as fast - taking many minutes to reach full brightness. By that time, I'm exiting the room and turning it back off again.....

And with the message that these things are "so energy efficient" bombarding consumers continually, IMO, there appears to be an upcoming generation that simply leaves lights on in every room of the house, whether someone is present or not, especially with the full-illumination delay noted above...

No thanks. They still seem to be a bit overrated.
Tricky

United States

#16 Sep 23, 2007
Read the packaging-If used 4 hours will equel condescend bulb @ 4 hours., so if the fluorsent bulb ueses more energy to start up, and turned off with in 4 hours-[you have wasted energy],bathroom 15/20 minutes--kitchen 30 minutes? I could use 1, if it worked with a dimmer ,not yet? I put the old bulbs back in.
Klabdak

Armstrong, TX

#17 Sep 23, 2007
Of course they don't tell you the CFL is also a huge environmental issue because they contain mercury, which ends up in landfills and groundwater. Anyone remember the gasoline additive MTBE? It was hailed as the magic ingredient to make smog a thing of the past. Congress mandated it's use and patted itself on the back. The thing is politicians make lousy scientists and there was untold damage to our groundwater. Congress sheepishly and darn near silently passed a law banning its use.

No matter how much things change do they remain the same. CFL's are no different than MTBE.
All IDIOTS

Milliken, CO

#18 Sep 23, 2007
You guys actually pay for light bulbs???....what a waste...we always have...and always will...use candles.
Butthead

Littleton, CO

#19 Sep 23, 2007
All IDIOTS wrote:
You guys actually pay for light bulbs???....what a waste...we always have...and always will...use candles.
Thanks for the insight, Jebediah. We'll be sure to watch out for your horse and buggy when you're on the road...
chuckie

Littleton, CO

#20 Sep 23, 2007
What a bunch of blow hards! Get off your horse and get with it! The world is moving away from incandesant. Join the crowd! TRUTH is they simply use less electricity that incadesant bulbs, If you don't see a huge drop in your bill it's because your not using your brain!

Most people get up in the morning and go to work, come home in the evening and turn on a few lights until they go to bed-- about 5 hours a day--maybe much less if you live a modern always busy lifestyle. Your simply not going to see the drop on your bill from that. However your refrigerator, waterheater, furnace/air conditioner cyle on and off all day long. Add that with rising cost of energy and you stand here surprised that your bill didn't drop?!!

Having these bulbs does make your bill drop, just not as much as you might think at first.
Babe

United States

#21 Sep 23, 2007
Ron wrote:
I am sure excel will charge more to make up the difference, you still will have the same amount to have to pay, it is all a scam.
Of course, everything they come up with is to save them money. And I am not into mercury. Think about how many people will just toss them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drugs and dealers 11 min Reyna lokita 2
Denver tar? (Aug '11) 26 min Reyna lokita 6
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 43 min KiMerde 6,101
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 4 hr mjjcpa 14,385
Housewife convicted of frying husband (Mar '07) 6 hr DILF 69
good strip clubs? 17 hr mmmm 1
Nude photos of 12-year-old girl circulated via ... (Feb '10) 18 hr Paula 311
Denver Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Denver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Denver News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Denver

Personal Finance