German police say 10 killed, several injured, in school shootin...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Police say a gunman dressed in a black combat uniform opened fire at a high school in southern Germany on Wednesday, killing at least 10 people and injuring others before fleeing the scene.

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 113 of113
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bryan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Bill K wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful of the freedom notion because the freedom you have here is the freedom to conform. Guns may give you an illusion of something else, but is is just an illusion.
So none of us have freedom. we are all slaves to the federal government? That is probably true with the way the government currently works, but there was a time when the bill of rights and the American ideals of freedom meant something.

Now we only have the privledges granted by the governmant.
Bryan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Bill K wrote:
<quoted text>
No, and I have never made any claims for promoting being a good citizen (nor have I made any claims opposing being a good citizen). This is merely being sensible in this modern society at this time.
So if a politician could garuntee personal saftey and financial security if we only repealed the bill of rights and gave up our freedoms - this would be sensible for our modern society?

Thanks I think I understand the mindset of the liberal a little better.
Thomas

Winnenden, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Bill K wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, you ask?(You've been spared having to read all the nonsense here.) Let me summarize the most common reasons: one, to prevent your wife and daughters from being raped, two, to stop people from breaking into your house and stealing your property, three, to defend yourself from an oppressive government (sort of Ruby-Ridge like).
Well, that's the way the americans think, and I'm fine with that I don't care. But honestly, in Germany you don't think like that. Non of my friends or my family (even my extended family) owns a gun. If people in Germany do own one, then just because they're in a shooting club or they're hunters, but not because of defending themselves or their family. That's just not the idea behind it(in Germany).
Nevertheless, I know what the idea of having a gun at home is about, but still I do not share this line of argumentation.
Bill K

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Bryan wrote:
<quoted text>
So none of us have freedom. we are all slaves to the federal government? That is probably true with the way the government currently works, but there was a time when the bill of rights and the American ideals of freedom meant something.
Now we only have the privledges granted by the governmant.
You're like totally wrong. You are not a slave to the government, you are a largely controlled (although in a very indirect way) by the capitalist system by which the government is also controlled. The "slavery" notion is just the wrong paradigm for something far more ethereal.
Bill K

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Bryan wrote:
<quoted text>
So if a politician could garuntee personal saftey and financial security if we only repealed the bill of rights and gave up our freedoms - this would be sensible for our modern society?
Thanks I think I understand the mindset of the liberal a little better.
Your mind is in looneyland. I tend to doubt there being any rational hope for your recovery soon.
Bryan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Bill K wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mind is in looneyland. I tend to doubt there being any rational hope for your recovery soon.
You are the one calling freedom an illusion. Ok I'll drink the cool aid and say ok ban guns. there are no societal issues just bad tools.

Now I bet you'll say that I am rational.
Bill K

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Bryan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one calling freedom an illusion. Ok I'll drink the cool aid and say ok ban guns. there are no societal issues just bad tools.
Now I bet you'll say that I am rational.
You think conformity is freedom. You don't know even what you don't know.
Bryan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Bill K wrote:
<quoted text>
You think conformity is freedom. You don't know even what you don't know.
Actually having the ability to conform or not conform (as long as non-conformity doesn't endanger or hurt others) is freedom. Right now standing up for the 2nd amendment rights and opposing punitive progressive taxes is non-conformity (ie the 84% tax rate of the late 60s).

There is much more pressure to conform to a liberal view point than there is to a conservative or (gasp) a libertarian point of view.

Trust me my view point on firearms has been shaped by being exposed to the sport of shooting, hunting, as well as gun violence (a childhood friend was killed in a shooting). I have also read the past and current pending legislation on firearms as well as the VPC and Brady positions.

How was your view point about the 2nd amendment shaped by reading the Tribune,the VPC website and watching CNN?
Bill K

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Bryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually having the ability to conform or not conform (as long as non-conformity doesn't endanger or hurt others) is freedom. Right now standing up for the 2nd amendment rights and opposing punitive progressive taxes is non-conformity (ie the 84% tax rate of the late 60s).
There is much more pressure to conform to a liberal view point than there is to a conservative or (gasp) a libertarian point of view.
Trust me my view point on firearms has been shaped by being exposed to the sport of shooting, hunting, as well as gun violence (a childhood friend was killed in a shooting). I have also read the past and current pending legislation on firearms as well as the VPC and Brady positions.
How was your view point about the 2nd amendment shaped by reading the Tribune,the VPC website and watching CNN?
In a large society like this there are always going to be multiple tendencies, often conflicting, and any individual can more or less choose the group with which he wants to align himself, and conform. He can conform to his heart's content and still consider himself a non-conformist. He can play the maverick game. And there will be plenty of people stupid enough to buy it. Nearly half the people that bothered to vote last year voted for that "maverick," John McCain.(Sorry, it's late and I'm too tired to finish the rest of the thought. Respond, and I may be better able to finish it tomorrow.)
Dylan

Fairfield, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

he is crazy and he is like another hitler if he thinks its fun why don't we blow him up
Bill K

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Bryan wrote:
<quoted text>
I re-read what you wrote the other day and it seems you have simply driven your logic off a cliff. The subjective feel of the group actually determines the degree to which one's actions are conformity or not. For example, most inner-city youths are not violent criminals. However, the average non-violent joe is made to feel as a non-conformist by his rejection of common violent criminality.
Citizen

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
There are so many falsified stories about gun violence within city limits too. The administration tells us we are safe but the papers tell us otherwise. I think I believe our Lord Daily on this one.
Seriously though, my heart goes out to the families of those killed. What brings someone to do this? Also, This used to be an American phenomenon, now it seems to be happening all over the world. This is one of our trends I wish nobody picked up on.
In the sixties a man in Germany entered a school and killed several students with a flame thrower; he burned them to death. I forgot how it ended; he was probably killed. Google the Bartsch case in Germany; this guy killed several children over a period of time in a sadistic manner. This kind of thing has been going on. Violence was not started by Americans. Look what's happening right now in Iraq, Israel, look at what happened in Germany during the Nazi regime. Please, violence was not started by Americans.
Citizen

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Bill K wrote:
<quoted text>
I re-read what you wrote the other day and it seems you have simply driven your logic off a cliff. The subjective feel of the group actually determines the degree to which one's actions are conformity or not. For example, most inner-city youths are not violent criminals. However, the average non-violent joe is made to feel as a non-conformist by his rejection of common violent criminality.
You are exactly right. A few years ago I met a woman form the inner city who had several sons. All of her sons were in jail; mostly on drug charges. She had one son who was about 17 at the time, still at home. This woman was telling me that she did not let her son go to school. When I asked her why she would not let her son go to school, she told me that he is being harassed and threatened by the other boys in school to join the gang and get involved in illegal activities. The stories she told me were harrowing. I felt very sorry for her; it seemed she and her son had no recourse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 113 of113
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stuttgart, Germany Discussions

Search the Stuttgart, Germany Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is bloody mary real? (Jan '08) Apr 6 selena 635
Stuttgarter Hofbrau Beer Now available in the USA (Nov '08) Mar 24 raymond valliere 107
First Porsche car unveiled after more than a ce... Jan '14 Sam 1
First Porsche car unveiled after more than a ce... Jan '14 This is critical 1
Court won't allow DaimlerChrysler suit in Calif. Jan '14 Anti-Kartoffel 4
Germany's Brain Drain Is Turkey's Net Gain Dec '13 Winston Churchill 4
Work starts on new schools in Stuttgart Dec '13 Guest 4
•••
•••
•••
•••