Many of Germany's Catholic church mem...

Many of Germany's Catholic church members, dismayed by sex abuse scandal, vote with their feet

There are 8 comments on the Amherst Daily News story from May 29, 2011, titled Many of Germany's Catholic church members, dismayed by sex abuse scandal, vote with their feet. In it, Amherst Daily News reports that:

Catholic church , Mainz University , The Associated Press , Germany , Vatican , Rome AUGSBURG, Germany - A year after a widespread sex scandal rocked Roman Catholics in Pope Benedict XVI's homeland, German intellectuals and faithful alike are turning their backs on the church, urging change or simply leaving the congregation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Amherst Daily News.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1 May 30, 2011
Leaving Roman Catholicism for less than 5% of proven accusations is ridiculous.It is the message of Roman Catholicism that is most important;not the messenger?KEEP in mind,the majority of the perpetrators of the Holocaust were Roman Catholics who left the Faith."Those who will not remember the past history;are doomed to repeat it."

Sol

Location hidden

#2 May 30, 2011
STEPHMAR wrote:
…less than 5% of proven accusations…
WTF? So, then, what about the other 95% of the "proven accusations"?
It is the message of Roman Catholicism that is most important…
And THAT message (compared to _God's_ message in Scripture) is...WHAT?(i'm being charitable here and giving you first-shot at the answer)
KEEP in mind,the majority of the perpetrators of the Holocaust were Roman Catholics who left the Faith.
Seriously, stephmar: don't do drugs and THEN do Topix.

Location hidden

#3 May 31, 2011
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF? So, then, what about the other 95% of the "proven accusations"?
<quoted text>
And THAT message (compared to _God's_ message in Scripture) is...WHAT?(i'm being charitable here and giving you first-shot at the answer)
<quoted text>Seriously, stephmar: don't do drugs and THEN do Topix.
There ARE NO other 95% of the "proven accussations?"There are ONLY less than 5% of the accussations that have been proven.I DO NOT use any street drugs!

Sol

Location hidden

#4 May 31, 2011
Whatever.

So how about your clarification of what you believe the "message" of roman catholicism is (compared, again, to _God's_ message in Scripture)?

Location hidden

#5 Jun 1, 2011
Sol wrote:
Whatever.
So how about your clarification of what you believe the "message" of roman catholicism is (compared, again, to _God's_ message in Scripture)?
The most important message of Christianity (Catholicism)is Salvation and Forgiveness via Our Lord,The Son of God.If you read the O.T.,you will find that God,The Father was not very forgiveing?Study the History of our Brothers and Sisters of the Hebrew Race?

Sol

Location hidden

#6 Jun 3, 2011
It is the message of Roman Catholicism that is most important…

The most important message of Christianity (Catholicism)is Salvation and Forgiveness via Our Lord,The Son of God.
Hmmm... you were very specific about "the message of roman catholicism" - and then hedged by putting it in parentheses.

I wasn't aware that the roman church believed it owned the trademarks on John 3:16 & Romans 10:9 & Ephesians 2:8-9, et.al.- the messages of CHRISTIANITY, not the sect catholicism.

Location hidden

#7 Jun 4, 2011
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm... you were very specific about "the message of roman catholicism" - and then hedged by putting it in parentheses.
I wasn't aware that the roman church believed it owned the trademarks on John 3:16 & Romans 10:9 & Ephesians 2:8-9, et.al.- the messages of CHRISTIANITY, not the sect catholicism.
I must clarify!The Eastern Orthodox,while It broke with Rome;is in a unique position.This Church is considered Catholic;but,not Roman Catholic.Most of the other Christian,non-Catholic Denominations BROKE AWAY from Roman Catholicism.They are in fact still considered Roman Catholic;because as former members of Roman Catholicism,They chose to accept the lifetime Membership;hence,they never did have the right to break away.They are welcome to re-enter Roman Catholicism at any time without the need for "repatriation."Here is an analogy:After the Battle of Gettysburg during the US Civil War,both sides realized that the defeat of the Confederacy was just a matter of time?The Lincoln Administration began to discuss Terms of Repatriation for the Confederate States.When asked,President Abraham Lincoln stated"there is no need for repatriation since the Confederate States never left the Union;they always were and are now part of the Union,because they NEVER had the right to leave the Union.
Conservative Realist

Monroe, CT

#8 Jun 4, 2011
Congratulations. A little wordy, but you've made your church sound like TimeLife Corporation - THEY never consider a customer "gone" either.
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>I must clarify!The Eastern Orthodox,while It broke with Rome;is in a unique position.This Church is considered Catholic;but,not Roman Catholic.Most of the other Christian,non-Catholic Denominations BROKE AWAY from Roman Catholicism.They are in fact still considered Roman Catholic;because as former members of Roman Catholicism,They chose to accept the lifetime Membership;hence,they never did have the right to break away.They are welcome to re-enter Roman Catholicism at any time without the need for "repatriation."Here is an analogy:After the Battle of Gettysburg during the US Civil War,both sides realized that the defeat of the Confederacy was just a matter of time?The Lincoln Administration began to discuss Terms of Repatriation for the Confederate States.When asked,President Abraham Lincoln stated"there is no need for repatriation since the Confederate States never left the Union;they always were and are now part of the Union,because they NEVER had the right to leave the Union.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mainz, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Merkel's party suffers drubbing in German state... Mar '16 Ron 1
News Satellite data reveal silver lining of Middle E... (Aug '15) Aug '15 SpaceBlues 1
News ALABC showcased three 48V hybrid demonstrators ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Solarman 1
News Legendary Nibelung Treasure May Have Been Found... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Seggie Slave 1
Mainz University Housing Area (Apr '08) Jan '14 Clifton and Victo... 6
News Mount A physicist part of $50M investment by th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 dasd 1
News German Catholics call for reform, many leaving (May '11) Aug '11 DNF 75
More from around the web