The Italian government wants European...

The Italian government wants European support to abolish the de...

There are 11 comments on the Deutsche Welle story from Jan 4, 2007, titled The Italian government wants European support to abolish the de.... In it, Deutsche Welle reports that:

The Italian government has said it will campaign to abolish the death penalty worldwide, using its position as one of 15 UN Security Council members.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Deutsche Welle.

william

Washington, UK

#1 Jan 4, 2007
I can see the Italian government has started to walk backwards again!
pete

Toronto, Canada

#2 Jan 5, 2007
how do u figure backwards?
John

UK

#3 Jan 7, 2007
Well it is backward, the death penalty should be the punishment for all major crimes like, murder, rape. Why do you think murder rates are soaring in the EU. But you are right thay took the step back 60 years ago when they abolished it!
william

Lytham, UK

#4 Jan 8, 2007
John wrote:
Well it is backward, the death penalty should be the punishment for all major crimes like, murder, rape. Why do you think murder rates are soaring in the EU.
Well done, John! I knew someone would find it backwards too.

The death penalty was abolished in most countries on 'progressist' grounds by s0-called liberal politicians. Ordinary folks have never been consulted. In most countries, a referendum would return a huge majority in favour of capital punishment. But we won't be consulted, I guaranty you that!

Since: Dec 06

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Jan 11, 2007
The Italians are best warned to stay out of this one in the USA. There is nothing in our laws prohibiting Italians from hanging here.
Syed Nouman Hassan

Rawalpindi, Pakistan

#6 Jul 18, 2007
Dear Italian government
I am working in Multinational Telecom industry in Pakistan. So I am not feeling secure in Pakistan due to the back clashes between government and judiciary. So i want to leave this country. I need your favor for arrangement of my job and sort of accommodation on urgent basis.
Thanks for your kind support in advance
Looking forward to here from you
Regards
Syed Nouman Hassan
willow

Como, Italy

#7 Jul 18, 2007
John wrote:
the death penalty should be the punishment for all major crimes like, murder, rape.
Who said that? IMHO punishing a murderer with death means getting back to Hammurabi code.
"Eye for an eye tooth for a tooth"... that's backward thinking.
What's the purpose of shedding other blood? Revenge? Sooner or later we all will die. And I guess that getting jailed for a lifetime can turn into a very harsh punishment. Then, for those who "trust in God" (not my case), there's always the divine justice, that never fails...
Regards.
william

Stroud, UK

#8 Jul 18, 2007
willow wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that? IMHO punishing a murderer with death means getting back to Hammurabi code.
"Eye for an eye tooth for a tooth"... that's backward thinking.
What's the purpose of shedding other blood? Revenge? Sooner or later we all will die. And I guess that getting jailed for a lifetime can turn into a very harsh punishment. Then, for those who "trust in God" (not my case), there's always the divine justice, that never fails...
Regards.
The death penalty is s stronger detterent than a life sentence.

Life sentence can always be 'reviewed' later, and transformed in time term. Vey few 'lifers' finish their life in prison; they are freed, or on economic ground, or on compasionate ground.

There is no revision possible, or softening of the sentence if society kills the culprits!!
Big Ted

Orpington, UK

#9 Aug 13, 2007
What happens when the courts get it wrong? oops sorry but we just murdered what we thought was a murderer, but new evidence has come to light. Oh well never mind nothing we can do now. ;)
American

Mount Vernon, MO

#10 Aug 26, 2007
Well looks like the Romans are needed in Italy again, and Europe and America for that matter. The knew how to deal with criminals and terrorists.

BLT

Since: Apr 07

Holland, MI

#11 Aug 26, 2007
American wrote:
Well looks like the Romans are needed in Italy again, and Europe and America for that matter. The knew how to deal with criminals and terrorists.
I agree with you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dresden, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weird Animals Jun '16 Abrahammock Relig... 1
News Why has xenophobia risen in Germany? (Jan '15) Jun '16 Der Punisher 3
News Anti-Immigrant Protests Grow as Refugees Flood ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Frank Toledo 1
News German government steps up criticism of anti-Is... (Oct '15) Nov '15 Bigkahuna9242 2
News Tensions in Germany rise amid flood of asylum-s... (Nov '15) Nov '15 TRUMP 4
News Dutch firebrand vows to show Muhammad cartoons ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 The_Prophet_Not_C... 2
solution centre (May '15) May '15 ROSE HOWARD 1
More from around the web