Europe's 1st Lunar Mission Reaches Moon

Europe's 1st Lunar Mission Reaches Moon

There are 22 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 2, 2006, titled Europe's 1st Lunar Mission Reaches Moon . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Europe's first spacecraft to the moon ended its three-year mission Sunday with a planned crash that scientists hoped would provide clues to the geological composition of a volcanic plain called the Lake of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kearney

Columbia, MD

#1 Sep 3, 2006
Congratulations. It's a very exciting time.

But I know some will say, but why is it important especially since the USA has all ready done it?
tater slocum

Pflugerville, TX

#2 Sep 3, 2006
three years to get to the moon. not too swift.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#3 Sep 3, 2006
It takes time to build a space craft that will crash into the noon. After all your talking European space craft. They, as you have heard, don't work too hard at things, I mean three or four coffee breaks and day, working 30 hour weeks some time, many, many strikes, two hour lunches and maybe a nap after. For a few there is a romp in the hay with a mistress to consider also. So I think they did pretty good in getting it off the ground at all.
Bill R

Lebanon, OR

#4 Sep 3, 2006
EASY MONEY wrote:
It takes time to build a space craft that will crash into the noon. After all your talking European space craft. They, as you have heard, don't work too hard at things, I mean three or four coffee breaks and day, working 30 hour weeks some time, many, many strikes, two hour lunches and maybe a nap after. For a few there is a romp in the hay with a mistress to consider also. So I think they did pretty good in getting it off the ground at all.
LOL, Easy. Now ... my apologies because this is
really too easy ... who did the French surrender
to?:-)
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#5 Sep 3, 2006
Congratulations. Three posts and each one without a single optimistic or insightful remark. Not a single apparent piece of knowledge about this project or indeed Europe either wholly or as individual nations.

You live down to the arrogance and ignorance expected of you, not up to the achievements of your country's past. Truly, congratulations - your country must be so proud to have you as ambassadors.
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#6 Sep 3, 2006
Four posts, make that four posts and no insight or optimism but this time perhaps the single item every American seems to know about Europe.

I ask you a question then Bill - what does one do when an enemy armed with technology before never seen in war on any great scale (ie. tanks) bypasses the traditional flow of battle in a way never before possible and takes your capital while the bulk of you army is deployed? You got a better idea than surrender? Perhaps 'die' is your suggestion?

Does any American who brings up the French defeat in WWII actually know anything about it? Do they bother to think how it happened? Or do you just chortle to yourselves and pat yourself on the back for never engaging in a single military blunder on the scale of, say, Iraq, Vietnam or letting Israel smuggle the technology for nuclear weapons out of your country? Were you aware that no other country has unwillingly and unwittingly supplied nuclear technology to a country it had previously refused to supply to? Not one.

How does that rank against losing to the Germans? Unwittingly supplying nukes to a fundamentalist country like Israel? Coz I hate to dump sh1t on people unless they've set themselves up for it but you know, that would kinda burn me - being tricked like that.

So off topic I'm even annoyed with myself - but God Damn you guys are such a cliche. Grow up and educate yourselves.
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#7 Sep 3, 2006
Oh yes, I'd like to also point out that NASA has 'misplaced' the original footage of the moon landing. And almost all other original recordings. I'm really not sure how something like that happens - one would think it'd be the Shroud of Turin of the astrology world.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#8 Sep 3, 2006
Danniboy wrote:
Congratulations. Three posts and each one without a single optimistic or insightful remark. Not a single apparent piece of knowledge about this project or indeed Europe either wholly or as individual nations.
You live down to the arrogance and ignorance expected of you, not up to the achievements of your country's past. Truly, congratulations - your country must be so proud to have you as ambassadors.
Go away little boy. How can you be optimistic or excited about something that was done on more than one occasion, including walking up there. Just what is being accomplished by crashing into the piece of rock? Your damn right there is arrogance by Americans, we do it, we don't sit around sipping coffee or tea, talking about how to do it. Europe is a nothing group of rag tag class conscious countries that can't figure out how to blow their nose without America. By the way just what have you done, not the country, but what have you yourself done about anything except talk about all of the ills of the world? Finish school and get out there and do something, try it on your own, not on papa's shirt tails..Have a nice day!
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#9 Sep 4, 2006
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, Easy. Now ... my apologies because this is
really too easy ... who did the French surrender
to?:-)
Bill, this kid has been coddled so much by mom and dad that he's lucky he can make it across the street alone. He's been places you know, only because dear old dad was working there, but zip otherwise. I'm not sure but I think the reason he is so enamored with Europe is because he likes the socialist, get away with doing nothing life style.

Answer to your question. Which Time?
Bill R

Lebanon, OR

#10 Sep 4, 2006
Danniboy wrote:
Four posts, make that four posts and no insight or optimism but this time perhaps the single item every American seems to know about Europe.
I ask you a question then Bill - what does one do when an enemy armed with technology before never seen in war on any great scale (ie. tanks) bypasses the traditional flow of battle in a way never before possible and takes your capital while the bulk of you army is deployed? You got a better idea than surrender? Perhaps 'die' is your suggestion?
Does any American who brings up the French defeat in WWII actually know anything about it? Do they bother to think how it happened? Or do you just chortle to yourselves and pat yourself on the back for never engaging in a single military blunder on the scale of, say, Iraq, Vietnam or letting Israel smuggle the technology for nuclear weapons out of your country? Were you aware that no other country has unwillingly and unwittingly supplied nuclear technology to a country it had previously refused to supply to? Not one.
How does that rank against losing to the Germans? Unwittingly supplying nukes to a fundamentalist country like Israel? Coz I hate to dump sh1t on people unless they've set themselves up for it but you know, that would kinda burn me - being tricked like that.
So off topic I'm even annoyed with myself - but God Damn you guys are such a cliche. Grow up and educate yourselves.
Geez, I was about to make a remark about you not
having any sense of humor ... my post was clearly
intended to be something of a cliche, you fool ...
and then you spoil it all with your little swerve
into an anti-Israel rant.

Yeah, Israel has nukes. And yeah, I'm glad they
got 'em. And yeah again, they are fundamentalist ...
fundamentally for their right to exist, or to protect
their borders against a bunch of countries and
terrorist surrogates whose stated objective is to
destroy them.

But fundamentalist as you seem to imply? Better do
some reading and learn a bit about the Jewish faith
and the breadth of how it is practiced before you
use a term that doesn't fit.

As for France, my friend, even the French are in on
the joke ... so lighten up and enjoy the ride.

EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#11 Sep 4, 2006
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, I was about to make a remark about you not
having any sense of humor ... my post was clearly
intended to be something of a cliche, you fool ...
and then you spoil it all with your little swerve
into an anti-Israel rant.
Yeah, Israel has nukes. And yeah, I'm glad they
got 'em. And yeah again, they are fundamentalist ...
fundamentally for their right to exist, or to protect
their borders against a bunch of countries and
terrorist surrogates whose stated objective is to
destroy them.
But fundamentalist as you seem to imply? Better do
some reading and learn a bit about the Jewish faith
and the breadth of how it is practiced before you
use a term that doesn't fit.
As for France, my friend, even the French are in on
the joke ... so lighten up and enjoy the ride.
Off Topic, Bill, I saw that they have three more bank bombers with more arrests to follow, like I said that's if they have not gotten across the boarder. They were paid 2000 baht to take the bombs to the banks, most were locals but there were unamed others. The plot is underfoot, Watson!
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#12 Sep 4, 2006
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, I was about to make a remark about you not
having any sense of humor...so lighten up and enjoy the ride.
Then I apologise Bill - I was just coming back in here to say how I'd failed to offer a hell of a lot of optimism myself. But Ole Easy there truly gets my goat - largely because he's not joking.

Don't testify to my life Easy you've got no idea. Let's see, what have I done for myself? I have a degree in law and another in psych which I paid for myself as much as I could and then went into hoc for the rest. I have postgrad qualifications in law and am a Barrister and Solicitor to the Supreme Court of the ACT. I have worked since 13 and variously laboured on highway construction, owned my own cleaning business, worked in butchers shops, driven heavy machinery and travelled to well over 20 countries not including transit countries. I have also paid for the vast majority of my overseas trips myself (being a lawyer helps that). I have slept in Greek ports with gypsies and in resorts on Carribean Islands. I speak 2 and a half languages and I instruct Tae Kwon Do because I have been studying it for well over a decade.

Since we're getting to know each other - what have you done Easy?
Bill R

Lebanon, OR

#13 Sep 4, 2006
Danniboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I apologise Bill - I was just coming back in here to say how I'd failed to offer a hell of a lot of optimism myself. But Ole Easy there truly gets my goat - largely because he's not joking.
Don't testify to my life Easy you've got no idea. Let's see, what have I done for myself? I have a degree in law and another in psych which I paid for myself as much as I could and then went into hoc for the rest. I have postgrad qualifications in law and am a Barrister and Solicitor to the Supreme Court of the ACT. I have worked since 13 and variously laboured on highway construction, owned my own cleaning business, worked in butchers shops, driven heavy machinery and travelled to well over 20 countries not including transit countries. I have also paid for the vast majority of my overseas trips myself (being a lawyer helps that). I have slept in Greek ports with gypsies and in resorts on Carribean Islands. I speak 2 and a half languages and I instruct Tae Kwon Do because I have been studying it for well over a decade.
Since we're getting to know each other - what have you done Easy?
Danniboy: This is actually a good bit of fun. My
wife says I speak 2-1/2 languages .... 1/2 English,
1/2 Spanish, 1/2 ... you get the idea.:-)

Seriously, or not so seriously, your apology is not
required, but appreciated.

I'll let Easy respond to the portion of your post
that was meant for him.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#14 Sep 4, 2006
Danniboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I apologise Bill - I was just coming back in here to say how I'd failed to offer a hell of a lot of optimism myself. But Ole Easy there truly gets my goat - largely because he's not joking.
Don't testify to my life Easy you've got no idea. Let's see, what have I done for myself? I have a degree in law and another in psych which I paid for myself as much as I could and then went into hoc for the rest. I have postgrad qualifications in law and am a Barrister and Solicitor to the Supreme Court of the ACT. I have worked since 13 and variously laboured on highway construction, owned my own cleaning business, worked in butchers shops, driven heavy machinery and travelled to well over 20 countries not including transit countries. I have also paid for the vast majority of my overseas trips myself (being a lawyer helps that). I have slept in Greek ports with gypsies and in resorts on Carribean Islands. I speak 2 and a half languages and I instruct Tae Kwon Do because I have been studying it for well over a decade.
Since we're getting to know each other - what have you done Easy?
Danniboy, I'm pretty sure that I owe you an apology. It seem that I have been mistaken and thought that you were another poster that went by the same sign in. If I were you I would keep the lawyer thing quite but having done the things you have stated, not bad.

Me, I spent 20 years in the military, been more places than I like to remember, part of the time that you were getting that degree I was getting my ass shot at, worked in Saudi for three years, lived in England two years, and as I stated to class conscious for me but not as bad as Europe, flown around the world twice once east once west for thirty days each time for something to do. Never had to sleep on any beach.

I just went back and reread your post and maybe I really don't owe you anything. I'll ponder that!

My feelings about Europe and Europeans stands as stated. Do not forget that I see the best they have to offer here, every year. Along with a bunch of yours.
Bill R

Lebanon, OR

#15 Sep 4, 2006
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
Off Topic, Bill, I saw that they have three more bank bombers with more arrests to follow, like I said that's if they have not gotten across the boarder. They were paid 2000 baht to take the bombs to the banks, most were locals but there were unamed others. The plot is underfoot, Watson!
What's your theory on the bombings? Is it an emerging
problem or an attempt to gain some notoriety?

It appears, by the way, that my daughter, her husband,
and their daughter may be headed to Thailand in
December if all the essential arrangements both
here and there can be coordinated successfully.
I am not sure how much of it is being coordinated
by the princess, but it is at least in part a bit
of a courtesy or returned favor for the services
my daughter provided in making arrangements for her
U.S. visit a little while back.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#16 Sep 4, 2006
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your theory on the bombings? Is it an emerging
problem or an attempt to gain some notoriety?
It appears, by the way, that my daughter, her husband,
and their daughter may be headed to Thailand in
December if all the essential arrangements both
here and there can be coordinated successfully.
I am not sure how much of it is being coordinated
by the princess, but it is at least in part a bit
of a courtesy or returned favor for the services
my daughter provided in making arrangements for her
U.S. visit a little while back.
My guess, if they have been invited by the Princess things would be taken care of. May I ask if the invitation was a verbal one or was it in writing and did it have specific dates?
The problem going on down south has been going on for a long time, like thirty years or longer and has stayed down there. I don't foresee any problems here in the city or places like Hue Hin or Phuket. Is there any sort of itinerary? The reason I ask is that its not like, hey! come on over for hot dogs and hamburgers Sat night kind of place. There really isn't that sort of spontaneity through out the country.
I would not worry for a second about your family coming here. The new airport may be a little confusing, only because I'm sure that they won't have all of the bugs worked out but then again your family my be met there and whisked away without any problem. Drink only bottle water, Montezuma is not here but we have another guy just as bad. I really don't want you to go into spifics on this, but try to give me a little more info. Like are you buying the tickets or are they provided? That will tell me a little more how thing should go on when they get here.
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#17 Sep 4, 2006
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
Danniboy, I'm pretty sure that I owe you an apology. It seem that I have been mistaken and thought that you were another poster that went by the same sign in.
No it's the same person, same DB with the folks in various warzones. We just got off on the wrong foot to begin with. These are just the dangers of getting all het up about things or making assumptions about people - we none of us know the least about each other unless we've read it so assumptions are tempting. And you know what they say, first we make an ass, then we make an umption.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#18 Sep 4, 2006
Danniboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's the same person, same DB with the folks in various warzones. We just got off on the wrong foot to begin with. These are just the dangers of getting all het up about things or making assumptions about people - we none of us know the least about each other unless we've read it so assumptions are tempting. And you know what they say, first we make an ass, then we make an umption.
You can be whatever you want to be on this, but there are little tell tail signs that just don't seem right. Also, try telling the truth always, it's easier to remember. Have a good day!
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

#19 Sep 5, 2006
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
You can be whatever you want to be on this, but there are little tell tail signs that just don't seem right. Also, try telling the truth always, it's easier to remember. Have a good day!
Eh? Telltale signs of what? Not quite following you there matey but you seem to think I'm not telling the truth. I assure you I have no need to lie about what I do - my life's interesting enough. I travel (unfortunately with less freedom as a govt lawyer than a labourer or uni student), I am a martial arts instructor, I've slummed it through various countries as a teenager and now I don't have to slum it. I give legal and policy advice to the the Attorney-General on justice systems and I have a passionate interest, family history and future career path in developmental aid and world politics. I see nothing inconsistent in my posts at all - nor would I given its my life.

You don't know me Easy. So ease up on the assumptions mate.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#20 Sep 5, 2006
Danniboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh? Telltale signs of what? Not quite following you there matey but you seem to think I'm not telling the truth. I assure you I have no need to lie about what I do - my life's interesting enough. I travel (unfortunately with less freedom as a govt lawyer than a labourer or uni student), I am a martial arts instructor, I've slummed it through various countries as a teenager and now I don't have to slum it. I give legal and policy advice to the the Attorney-General on justice systems and I have a passionate interest, family history and future career path in developmental aid and world politics. I see nothing inconsistent in my posts at all - nor would I given its my life.
You don't know me Easy. So ease up on the assumptions mate.
What you do down under is your business, what I referred to was the way you phrase things that give you away when posting a different tone. I believe I said that after rereading one of your posts I wasn't too sure.
Although you feel that you were not inconsistent in your post, believe me you were. Why else would I reread, something didn't seem right to me, can't tell you what it was, but there was something. You have a good day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darmstadt, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Comet lander Philae connection lost after download (Nov '14) Nov '14 SpaceBlues 7
News What does a comet sound like? It sounds like this (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Countdown nears for Europe's 10-year odyssey to... (Nov '14) Nov '14 SpaceBlues 4
News Space probe lands on comet (Nov '14) Nov '14 Triface 2
News Final countdown nears for 1st comet landing (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 6
News Europe ready to land 1st probe on streaking comet (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 4
News US warships in & headed to Russia's Black Sea N... (Mar '14) Mar '14 just a guy i knew 6
More from around the web