Missing Link? Darwinius Masillae Tran...

Missing Link? Darwinius Masillae Transitional Fossil Has Human-Like Nails And Opposable Big Toes

There are 8 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from May 19, 2009, titled Missing Link? Darwinius Masillae Transitional Fossil Has Human-Like Nails And Opposable Big Toes. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

The discovery was made at Grube Messel, near Darmstadt, Germany, where primates are rare and only fragmentary specimens had been located before.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

post-Ida

Kayseri, Turkey

#1 May 19, 2009
Sweet Ida :)

Since: Apr 07

Miami

#2 May 20, 2009
Too cool.

I wonder how the creationists will spin this story.
Chimney

UAE

#3 May 20, 2009
Unfortunately I read of this discovery in some other publications where it was described as the "long sought after missing link between apes and humans".

This kind of ignorance in science reporting really grates...the writers obviously had no idea that a 47 million year old fossil has nothing to do with the human /ape linkage, although Masillae may be an ancestral type to both (and to monkeys).

Creationists will delight in this kind of misreporting and quote forevermore that evolushunists think DM is THE "missing link".

Fantastic discovery though!

Miami

#4 May 20, 2009
Chimney wrote:
Unfortunately I read of this discovery in some other publications where it was described as the "long sought after missing link between apes and humans".
This kind of ignorance in science reporting really grates...the writers obviously had no idea that a 47 million year old fossil has nothing to do with the human /ape linkage, although Masillae may be an ancestral type to both (and to monkeys).
Creationists will delight in this kind of misreporting and quote forevermore that evolushunists think DM is THE "missing link".
Fantastic discovery though!
Excellent point. Moreso considering the whole notion of a "missing link" is misleading. We've discovered tons of transitional fossils, there really is no missing link.

“Got Science?”

Location hidden

#5 May 20, 2009
Yes, I saw the rather exaggerated accounts also. Even Google fell prey to it, changing their logo to be a picture of the little lemur that could.

It is an important discovery, to be sure, but there is no magic bullet in science. Some people will never believe in evolution just like they never believed in germs. There's too much money tied up in denying evolution for anyone to nod their heads over a fossil, no matter how transitional it is.
Adrian in Tacoma

Federal Way, WA

#6 May 20, 2009
It was just the hype of NYC, just as they couldn't identify AirForce One flying around - was a shadowy fossil figure of a tree dweller in the "Big Apple" of all places...

FRONTIERSMAN

“FREEDOM”

Since: Dec 08

Bethel NY

#7 May 20, 2009

This may take years to verify...I for one want that mystical discovery to be so..Altho it will not change the minds of those who believe one way or the other....it may take a future humanoids to know the truth.

However ,we should not forget the "Piltdown" caper,and the crude "Cardiff Giant" sensation.It seems every generation comes up with their answerers,only to perpetuate the mystery.Often in a fraud of some kind!

it very well be we have not gone down that road of evolution too far yet...I'm reminded of a picture of an intelligent Chip Contemplating a Lap top.........Just like my friend POO POO,MOJO,
Mr-bill,Wyojake,and of course myself.especially my self.
One conjecture kicking around,was that very early humanoids,mated with chimps to create man..US!!!...in Africa...soon to travel the world.
DNA of we,chimps and humans is very close!

As I look around and see the monkey faces,and the who's ..it may be true.

so far our other cousin the Neatherandal,are not involved with us..they think?? And thats the fascination. many now think they are!.I'd rather be related to a Nearthandal than to be a descendant of a chimp!

All of us are like that chip looking at a lap top,or trying to invent a helicopter,or a printing press...the answers are right in front of us..but we cannot grasp it!! just like the Chimp.

If this human race survives to evolve further,,and Darwin is correct,and he is,its mind blowing to think some day ,some life will find my skull,and we all,and knows what it is ,and does not guess like we do.Us,.poor dumb chimps and Baboons,and Humans,in an evolutionary trip...The stuff of ..a Big headach!!..because our brain is not up to that point yet!!!

Its Banana break fellow chimps!! UGGA UGGA BOO A BOO BOO UGA!.........LOL!!

Our life is made by the death of others.
Leonardo DA Vinci
mayo420

Baltimore, MD

#8 May 20, 2009
Looks like both extreme camps of opinion bought the headlines hook,line and sinker. Considering the homage paid(+&-) and the value of the commodity I'd say the recession is nearing an end.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darmstadt, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Comet lander Philae connection lost after download (Nov '14) Nov '14 SpaceBlues 7
News What does a comet sound like? It sounds like this (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Countdown nears for Europe's 10-year odyssey to... (Nov '14) Nov '14 SpaceBlues 4
News Space probe lands on comet (Nov '14) Nov '14 Triface 2
News Final countdown nears for 1st comet landing (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 6
News Europe ready to land 1st probe on streaking comet (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 4
News US warships in & headed to Russia's Black Sea N... (Mar '14) Mar '14 just a guy i knew 6
More from around the web