Gay Games Drug Testing Causes Concern...

Gay Games Drug Testing Causes Concern Among AIDS Advocates

There are 14 comments on the EDGEnewyork.com News Feed story from Jun 1, 2010, titled Gay Games Drug Testing Causes Concern Among AIDS Advocates. In it, EDGEnewyork.com News Feed reports that:

For the first time in its history, all participants in Gay Games VIII this summer in Cologne, Germany, will be subject to random testing for performance-enhancing drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGEnewyork.com News Feed.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 2, 2010
Good.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#3 Jun 2, 2010
Klaus wrote:
Filthy AIDS infested pigs.
As a person of German descent, I can say that I resent your repetition of a cliched phrase, used to describe so many groups deemed "less than" by people like you in Berlin.

Gays are no less filthy than you are, Klaus. Grow up and learn.

“IBM had it right: "Think"”

Since: Mar 07

SF Bay Area Suburbs

#4 Jun 2, 2010
Political correct dingbats.

Performance enhancing drugs have nothing to do with AIDS, unless the athletes share needles for their steroids.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jun 2, 2010
Gary47 wrote:
Performance enhancing drugs have nothing to do with AIDS, unless the athletes share needles for their steroids.
All-around incorrect dingbat.

Performancing enhancing drugs are found through testing, and those test may pick up any HIV or AIDS medication that the athelete is taking as a PED. They might be indistinguishable on the test, which would cause these people to be diqualified from the competetion that was made for them to compete in.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Etobicoke, Canada

#6 Jun 2, 2010
Gary47 wrote:
Actually, many if not most poz guys take supplemental testosterone either as a gel or injection, and deca, as a therapy to combat lypoatrophy.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#7 Jun 2, 2010
snyper wrote:
Good.
Yeah except for the fact that people like me with HIV who previously had a massive brain tumor that damaged my pituitary and so I must take Testosterone, a banned substance.

I have competed in the 2 previous Gay Gaymes, in which I medaled (Silver and Bronze in Cycling) and no, I am prevented because I take a medically prescribed drug that is also banned.

Eric
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Etobicoke, Canada

#8 Jun 2, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah except for the fact that people like me with HIV who previously had a massive brain tumor that damaged my pituitary and so I must take Testosterone, a banned substance.
I have competed in the 2 previous Gay Gaymes, in which I medaled (Silver and Bronze in Cycling) and no, I am prevented because I take a medically prescribed drug that is also banned.
Eric
hi, Eric.

Longtime fan and first-time caller...

In your opinion, what should be done? Does this mean poz people are yet again marginalized from activity because of necessary pharma? Should there be a Poz Games? Or a second category of contender in the Gay Games?

Chris
Marc

Bordeaux, France

#9 Jun 2, 2010
Please read the article. And the policy online.

As a rule, HIV-specific treatments do not use prohibited substances.

Prohibited substances may be used for related conditions. But ALL medically prescribed substances are allowed, for whatever the reason.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 2, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric
I understand that, Brother. It is a complex area. "PED"s are needed for HIV treatment in many cases to counter wasting and other related conditions. It needs to be discussed. Too many of the youngsters think that the crisis is over. It brings the subject into the light of reality. It can't be often enough. That is what is meant by "Good".

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#11 Jun 3, 2010
Marc wrote:
Please read the article. And the policy online.
As a rule, HIV-specific treatments do not use prohibited substances.
Prohibited substances may be used for related conditions. But ALL medically prescribed substances are allowed, for whatever the reason.
Agreed, there is a way out, but while I'm not competing this year, I did register and I was in contact with the Federation and the head of Cycling competition for the Gay Gaymes-Koln - and the process to be able to compete, was not easy and made several positive athletes I know, not want to register.

It's a tough issue and if I really wanted to be there, I would have. Your point is well taken and thank you.

Eric

“IBM had it right: "Think"”

Since: Mar 07

SF Bay Area Suburbs

#13 Jun 6, 2010
Are you banned from the Games? As i read the article, it says they will review any "positive" drugs tests against legitimate medical use and thresholds for prescribed medical use of drugs that apparently are banned even under legitimate use.
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#14 Jun 6, 2010
Gary47 wrote:
Are you banned from the Games? As i read the article, it says they will review any "positive" drugs tests against legitimate medical use and thresholds for prescribed medical use of drugs that apparently are banned even under legitimate use.<quoted text>
Technically - I would be banned. Technically.

I wrote the FGG and the head of the Cycling events in January, 2010, for clarification and never got a response to the official policy and what would or would not be necessary for me to get a legit medal.

Several other HIV+ athletes I know received news of the policy AFTER paying registration and it was off putting to them. Some are going, most I know, are not. Many HIV+ athletes on on testosterone HRT and some are also getting medically prescibed HGH and other banned substances.

When I say that HIV meds act as an anchor on our performance, it's true. So when we medal in competition, we've really worked for it and earned it.

Regardless, I wish all the athletes at this years Gay Gaymes, much success and joy! If you've never been - as a spectator or competitor - GO!!! It's amazing. In Sydney and Chicago, India and Pakistan walked in hand in hand, together - so did Israel and Palestine. Imagine that.

Eric
Marc

Bordeaux, France

#16 Jun 7, 2010
Eric:

I'm a bit surprised by your post, since the opening of registration, there has been notice that drug testing would take place. As details of implementation have been posted, these have made the policy progressively less restrictive. So I just don't see how anyone can say this is a surprise.(I'll note that drug testing has been part of the last two Outgames and the last World Masters Games.)

If you wrote to the FGG, I would have seen it. You may have written to the host organization, and if you didn't receive a response, I apologize on their behalf.

As to the types of drugs people are taking and the reasons they are taking them: all medically prescribed treatments are allowed. I don't know how to be clearer than that.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#18 Jun 9, 2010
Marc wrote:
Eric:
I'm a bit surprised by your post, since the opening of registration, there has been notice that drug testing would take place. As details of implementation have been posted, these have made the policy progressively less restrictive. So I just don't see how anyone can say this is a surprise.(I'll note that drug testing has been part of the last two Outgames and the last World Masters Games.)
If you wrote to the FGG, I would have seen it. You may have written to the host organization, and if you didn't receive a response, I apologize on their behalf.
As to the types of drugs people are taking and the reasons they are taking them: all medically prescribed treatments are allowed. I don't know how to be clearer than that.
I did not say I was surprised by testing. I'm not. I knew that FGG was considering it and I was informed of the policy by there email to people on their mailing list.

I wrote FGG specifically asking what restrictions HIV+ athletes would experience and what, if any, exemptions for UCI banned substances (Cycling being my sport) HIV+ athletes could get and what documentation would be needed for permission to compete - and got no response. That was my 2nd email to FGG.

My first email was boilerplate saying that FGG was reviewing the policy in consideration of athletes who were taking medically prescribed banned substances, especially those who are HIV+(because we take some meds that are banned).

I support FGG and OutGames. I believe the split in 2006 was unnecessary and lead to needless discontent and division, however. I'm also okay with mandatory drug testing, with the acknowledgement that it must also take into consideration medical issues.

I thoroughly enjoyed my participation in Sydney and Chicago and regret I cannot be in Koln.

Eric

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cologne, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In Europe, skylines reflect the rise of Islam (Jul '07) Fri Jesus is 4,314
News Turkey's Erdogan is a goat f*cker, jokes comedi... Apr '16 anonymous 1
News Donald Trump wants us to fear immigrants. We ca... Feb '16 Moonbeam sux 10
News Sex Crimes Across Germany: The Coverup Unravels (Jan '16) Feb '16 alexandre 4
Cologne Music Forum (Dec '12) Feb '16 iN aRe A 11
News Quotables (Jan '16) Jan '16 APOCALYPSE 9
Jacob Cassel, father of Sir Ernest Cassel (Oct '07) May '15 Barbara Tenenbaum 15
More from around the web