First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Noel

Killeen, TX

#1 Jan 6, 2009
Please don't think I'm stupid, but my husband just found out that we will be PCS to Baumholder in June/July and in my research I really have not been able to get a clear picture of where actually we will be. What I'm looking for is where are the major cities are around Baumholder, or am I shooting in the dark and this place really is in the middle of nowhere? Any useful information would be great..thanks
trieste

Lawrenceville, IL

#2 Feb 17, 2009
Hi, I was stationed there back in the early 80's. The town of Baumholder is great. And so are the people. There is a bus system you can ride to the different towns. I went to ( will be spelled wrong) Ider Oberstien on the bus. Some of the units when I was there actually had weekend trips that the services people and there spouse can go on. I went to Trier, and Garmish. They also had shopping trips to Paris. I am partial to Germany becasue I was born in Stuttgart, my younger brother was born in Frankfurt. Besides being stationed in Baumholder I was also stationed in Weisbaden. You are in for a great time. If I could I would go back in a heart beat. My dad was also in the Army. And I am named after a town in Italy. There is also the train. My ex-husband and I go married in Denmark back in 84. At that time Baumholder was called the Rock. Congrats you will love it.

Trieste
MandyS

Trier, Germany

#3 Mar 29, 2009
I am sorry to disagree with you,but Baumholder is anything but nice.
The On Post living yes,but boy,when it comes to the downtown part..it sucks.They are NOT FRIENDLY or helpful.All they care for is your money.And trust me I know what I am talking about I have been living there for nearly 7 years.I hated every day of it too.
Germans as well as lots of other nations that reside there are rude and think they are better than the rest.
I know that at least 60% of us dont like it there.
I wouldnt do it again,for no money in the world.
Lesa

Trier, Germany

#4 Mar 31, 2009
I love Germany..Baumholder is ok you need to get out and TRAVEL...Ramstein is 30 min away (AF base) and Vogelweigh is 45min also known as Kaiserslaturn (my spelling isnt so great)If you show that you are friendly then the local nationals will be in return. Golden Rule...Oh yeah it rains alot and the sun doesnt like to come out...We are on the mountain..enjoy your time here it doesnt last.
Would live there forever

Glasgow, KY

#5 Apr 18, 2009
Lived in BHR for from 2002-2005 and loved it. Nestled in a beautiful section of Germany, you can have breakfast in France, lunch in Belgium, Dinner in Luxembourg, and be back home in time for bed. There are several great restaurants in/around the small town itself. Like everywhere else, it is what you make of it.
Lentz

Garden Grove, CA

#6 May 5, 2009
I agree. I was also stationed at the "rock" from 1983-1986. I loved the town and people around it including Idar-Oberstein down hill. It might have change since then but it was once a place to re-enlist to stay which I did.
trieste wrote:
Hi, I was stationed there back in the early 80's. The town of Baumholder is great. And so are the people. There is a bus system you can ride to the different towns. I went to ( will be spelled wrong) Ider Oberstien on the bus. Some of the units when I was there actually had weekend trips that the services people and there spouse can go on. I went to Trier, and Garmish. They also had shopping trips to Paris. I am partial to Germany becasue I was born in Stuttgart, my younger brother was born in Frankfurt. Besides being stationed in Baumholder I was also stationed in Weisbaden. You are in for a great time. If I could I would go back in a heart beat. My dad was also in the Army. And I am named after a town in Italy. There is also the train. My ex-husband and I go married in Denmark back in 84. At that time Baumholder was called the Rock. Congrats you will love it.
Trieste
Fr Matthias

Oberkirch, Germany

#7 May 17, 2009
I'm one of the locals and I really hope you'll like it there. Baumholder has not been doing very well in terms of economy, and I guess that's on some people's minds, but as was mentioned earlier, I'm sure almost everybody will respond to your kindness in a kind way.
Enjoy your stay

Fr Matthias
Cheryl

Cedar Park, TX

#8 Jun 1, 2009
Noel wrote:
Please don't think I'm stupid, but my husband just found out that we will be PCS to Baumholder in June/July and in my research I really have not been able to get a clear picture of where actually we will be. What I'm looking for is where are the major cities are around Baumholder, or am I shooting in the dark and this place really is in the middle of nowhere? Any useful information would be great..thanks
Baumholder is located about 2 hours southwest of Frankfurt, Germany. Europe is not like the U.S where there are major cities all over the place it is divided up into a lot of small towns. Kaiserslautern (or K-Town as you'll come to know it) is about 45 mins west of Baumholder (or the Rock) Trier is about 45 mins East. Idar Oberstein is a quaint little town which has a gem mine under the city and a church built in the wall of a hill..........lots of shopping trips get planned to Poland, Chech Republic, and other wonderful areas. Volkesmarches are set up every weekend throughout Europe their like a "walking" tours of the towns and each one has a "prize" at the end :) I have quite the collection of beautiful beer steins..........have fun there I am jealous
Kindra

Lake Worth, FL

#9 Jun 13, 2009
Hi, I'll be spending July and August in Baumholder and am looking forward to it. I've heard a lot of different ideas about the weather. Does anyone know what the temperatures are like during these months. I also heard there's a train going from Baumholder to Paris. Is there access to the train station in Baumholder?
Thanks you :-)

Since: May 09

Offenburg, Germany

#10 Jun 13, 2009
Temperatures during July and August can be anywhere from the upper sixties all the way into the upper eighties. Right now it's very nice, sunshine and temperatures around 70F.
There are currently no trains into Baumholder, but the train station Neubruecke is only about 10miles away. From there you can get to Paris with changing trains only once in Saarbruecken, Germany, right on the Frensh border. It should be possibile to get to Paris within four hours.
Enjoy your stay,

Fr Matthias
CaptRon

United States

#11 Jun 27, 2009
I was stationed in Baumholder in 1970-1972. Money situation was much better then but still a wonderful place to be. I married a german girl in 1971 and go back often. I will be going on July 1 to stay the summer.
Having read some of these posts I would like to offer a little fatherly advice (no offence Fr Matthias). As with most things in life, what you get out of it is a result of what you put into it. When you understand that you are visiting their country and should act accordingly and respectfully, you will find that they are very warm and friendly people and once you earn their trust, are lifelong friends. Arrogance and rudeness are not good traits to earn their friendship.
As for travel, you can get to anywhere in a short time from Baumholder. There are always weekend trips and local activities available to you and you should take advantage of them. The countryside is beautiful and the weather is usually nice during the Summer months. There are festivals almost every weekend within a short distance from Baumholder and you will be welcome if you act nice.
I am not an expert on Baumholder but if you have any question and can't find an answer you can find me at the Golf Course almost every day and I will be glad to talk to you.
Good luck and enjoy.
CaptRon

Germany

#12 Jun 30, 2009
I couldn't agree with you more - no offence taken.
Yours

Fr Matthias
CaptRon wrote:
Having read some of these posts I would like to offer a little fatherly advice (no offence Fr Matthias). As with most things in life, what you get out of it is a result of what you put into it. When you understand that you are visiting their country and should act accordingly and respectfully, you will find that they are very warm and friendly people and once you earn their trust, are lifelong friends. Arrogance and rudeness are not good traits to earn their friendship.
As for travel, you can get to anywhere in a short time from Baumholder. There are always weekend trips and local activities available to you and you should take advantage of them. The countryside is beautiful and the weather is usually nice during the Summer months. There are festivals almost every weekend within a short distance from Baumholder and you will be welcome if you act nice.
I am not an expert on Baumholder but if you have any question and can't find an answer you can find me at the Golf Course almost every day and I will be glad to talk to you.
Good luck and enjoy.
CaptRon
Reg

Seattle, WA

#13 Jul 1, 2009
Just wanted to say the I was a pre teen, teenager when my father was stationed in Baumholder and it was the greatest time in my life. I am so sad that given my age did not appreciate it at the time and wish that i could go back and live there again. We did all the traveling and Volkesmarches and saw all the sights. One of the fondest memories was once a month eveyone would go "junking". You will love the food. Just remember to enjoy and appreciate it and take in all the Germany has to offer.
Fr Walker

Woodbridge, VA

#14 Aug 11, 2009
Hello.... I'm quite late on this post but I can tell you, the only people who leave negative reviews are those who are set in their ways and not open to new cultures. You will love Europe, big culture shock but totally worth the experience :)
Army Wife

Pompano Beach, FL

#15 Sep 3, 2009
My husband got his orders for Baumholder Germany. I am excited and yet nervous. Can anyone truthfully explain if it is better to live on or off post....what to do and is is a long waiting list for on post living? any info is greatly appreciated
pubtech

United States

#16 Oct 1, 2009
I was stationed in Baumholder 1970 - 1972 and loved it. We lived in Ruckweiler a small friendly town. We (my wife, my son and I)loved Ruckweiler and living off base. God's speed to you and your family.
Linda Burt

United States

#17 Oct 25, 2009
My daughter and her husband are on their way to Baumholder, Germany as I write this. When she got her orders. She was very excited. What I want to know is: Her orders are for three years in Baumholder, Germany. Is it possible she will be sent somewhere else during those three years, or will she serve her three years there?
fll

Kenosha, WI

#18 Nov 12, 2009
i was in bhr from 77-80 does anyone know if the small italian ice cream shop is still open also what about the chuckwagon

Offenburg, Germany

#19 Nov 13, 2009
Both shops are still open, much to the excitement of the local community.

Yours

Fr Matthias
Long ago

Hazard, KY

#20 Jan 4, 2010
I was stationed in Baumholder from 72-74..I was too young to fully enjoy being atationed there.I think in the near near future I would like to travel back to Germany and visit Baumholder,,I do have fond memories of being stationed there..I loved the locals and all the local activities.When I was there I was with te 1/39th inf. I think that unit was disbanded.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baumholder, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1 ST. Bn.13 th inf (Mar '08) Mar '15 comctr 21
Looking for Anyone from old 257th Personel Company (Nov '12) Nov '14 brian 2
I lived in Baumholder 1997-2000 (Jun '09) Apr '14 Sgt Neal 14
16th inf (Apr '13) Apr '13 charles ingle 1
Let's Keep The Baumholder Talk Going (Jan '13) Jan '13 tessie 1
wassup (Sep '12) Sep '12 spcburk93 1
Moving there ithis summer 2012 Help? What to take? (Jan '12) Jun '12 Kerry Clement Ft... 2
More from around the web