As U.S. Army closes bases, Germans bid sad farewell

Oct 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The State

Sixty-two years after they arrived in this medieval village - and 17 years after it ceased to be the front line in the Cold War - U.S. troops are leaving and preparing to hand their base back to the town.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Sep 24, 2013

“IRONEA 338 B.C.E. ”

Since: Mar 10

Solun, Occupied Macedonia [+]

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Till the next war, bye!
Gholbulu Haftaz Mutlu

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

greex been geys is it Jalali bro!

“IRONEA 338 B.C.E. ”

Since: Mar 10

Solun, Occupied Macedonia [+]

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Greex been Afropitecus mongrels bro:

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/greece/TURUK...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Send them to Australia! We'll have them...
serena

Pensacola, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

the army spent alot of money over there . and the germans looked forward to that extra income . i was there for 13 years . and worked in frankfurt . but now all those base where given back to the germans . and how hi the euro is right now . the cost of living is very high now in germany . alot of businesses had to close . because of the euro . noone can afford to go out . I mean the locals.
John Kato

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

I do not see this as a bad thing. At some point in time, the smaller bases will have to close. As it stands some larger bases have to close as well.

As someone who was stationed in Germany back from 1979 to 1981, I know what it was like to live on an Army base in Germany. Although it was not an unpleasant experience; the assignment was work related and there are drawbacks living in that type of environment.

We had a real function. Standing ground in a manner that can be described as defensive and as a level of deterrence. There is no denying that that effort was successful when one considers the fall of communism in 1989.

As it stands today, the function that had us stationed in Germany has ended. Although there are new challenges, the maintenance of some of those bases is now an unnecessary expense.

I understand how many see this closing and those like it as a sad thing. I see this as an end chapter to a job well done.

I cherish my memories of Gelnhausen and Coleman Kasserne. But it was for a purpose and that purpose is a matter for history.
Anti-Kraut

Ingelheim, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Good Lord, now that American bases are closing in Germany, who will keep the boring, sterile, anally retentive Germans alive?
Germs are bad

Ingelheim, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

serena wrote:
the army spent alot of money over there . and the germans looked forward to that extra income . i was there for 13 years . and worked in frankfurt . but now all those base where given back to the germans . and how hi the euro is right now . the cost of living is very high now in germany . alot of businesses had to close . because of the euro . noone can afford to go out . I mean the locals.
I wonder if the Americans realise that Germany will have to be re-occupied again anyway sooner or later.... Maybe next time it will be Russia or China who occupies Germany... who knows....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany Discussions

Search the Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's victims 7 hr Vvy 1
Stuttgarter Hofbrau Beer Now available in the USA (Nov '08) May '14 rob 110
Maria Sharapova Celebrates 27th Birthday at Ger... Apr '14 cloudweller 1
Luckenbach is 'Pickin' for the Record' (Aug '09) Apr '14 John Michon 10
After 60 years, U.S. hands over Babenhausen (Sep '07) Mar '14 Parker 269
Breast cancer treatments could increase risk of... Feb '14 Linda 1
1941 Nazi-era postcard stirs Holocaust memories... (Aug '13) Feb '14 taylor smith 55
•••
•••