AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
dt tech

United States

#1502 Mar 20, 2009
What is the starting pay for a prem tech with telephone experience in the chicago area ibew? Also does anyone know what the medical benefits are? what the company pays and what the employee pays as far as a prem tech. what is top pay for a prem tech? any overtme?
Who Me

Seattle, WA

#1503 Mar 20, 2009
CT PREM TECH wrote:
its not lookin good boys
Right you are CT, but it's not over yet.
The employees are the heart and soul of at&t not some over paid CEO. The managers are getting nervous that we may go out. It's going to be over their heads in 24 hours when we go out. A strike does wonders for the arrogant attitudes of upper management. Prem Techs remember how long it was before you felt like you started to understand your job completely? Well 4 days training does not make a manager a Prem Tech. Be strong, be united and we'll all get through this. 30 years behind me and another dozen to go.
mbr

Sacramento, CA

#1504 Mar 20, 2009
Who Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Right you are CT, but it's not over yet.
The employees are the heart and soul of at&t not some over paid CEO. The managers are getting nervous that we may go out. It's going to be over their heads in 24 hours when we go out. A strike does wonders for the arrogant attitudes of upper management. Prem Techs remember how long it was before you felt like you started to understand your job completely? Well 4 days training does not make a manager a Prem Tech. Be strong, be united and we'll all get through this. 30 years behind me and another dozen to go.
Well said! How many managers can do your job? a handful if that! Lets stick together, and lets fight for everybody!
Who me

United States

#1505 Mar 20, 2009
CWA District 9/AT&T West Bargaining Bulletin #18 Friday, March 20, 2009

Company and Union met again today in Formal session. The Company started with an overview of the trends and outlook for the wire line. They tried to portray a Company need to change the way they do business and why they need take-backs. Tom Runnion, our bargaining Chair, responded by reminding the Company we are not bargaining a cable contract. That this Company is still extremely profitable and that our members expect and deserve to share in those profits. We then received a package on our request of data for new technology which we will review and address as necessary. The Company then passed a revised proposal on Pay for Performance.

The Company still continues in a very retrogressive manner. We need our members to let management know THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS BEHAVIOR. We need to let them know WE WILL NOT ACCEPT TAKE-BACKS.

The Union and Company are taking the weekend to review and formulate responses for numerous proposals. Our next Formal session is scheduled for Monday March 23rd. Our next report will follow that session.

mercy on us ALL

Austin, TX

#1506 Mar 21, 2009
mbr wrote:
<quoted text>Well said! How many managers can do your job? a handful if that! Lets stick together, and lets fight for everybody!
And don't forget the loyal customers, the ones who use AT&T. They have a good job for now !!!!
I say LAY-OFFs, so they can hire some NEW BLOOD..
happy i read this

Owings Mills, MD

#1507 Mar 21, 2009
I live in Maryland and I work for Verizon or should I say Verizon Connected Solutions. I was looking at a job in Georgia as a premise technician and MAN am I happy I looked at this blog before applying to this job. It seems to me that premise technicians are going through the same thing as FiOS techs were going through in the Patomac Region. This includes having another side of the company (core) make double your pay while doing about half the work. This includes also forced overtime, unrealistic production expectations and above all a lack of a true bridge to the other side of the company. Now I thought I had it bad but after reading over this blog AT&T premise techs have it worse than we do. All I can say from my end is don't be afraid to strike. I only wish we had done more with our negotiations. Instead all they did was fight for core and use us, VCS, as pawns to fight for their cause. In the end there was no gain for us but more benefits for them. I hate feeling as though it is us v. them because we all work for the same company. Sometimes I just wish our union had the balls to fight for us the same way they fight for core.
Just another Tech

Boca Raton, FL

#1508 Mar 21, 2009
happy i read this wrote:
I live in Maryland and I work for Verizon or should I say Verizon Connected Solutions. I was looking at a job in Georgia as a premise technician and MAN am I happy I looked at this blog before applying to this job. It seems to me that premise technicians are going through the same thing as FiOS techs were going through in the Patomac Region. This includes having another side of the company (core) make double your pay while doing about half the work. This includes also forced overtime, unrealistic production expectations and above all a lack of a true bridge to the other side of the company. Now I thought I had it bad but after reading over this blog AT&T premise techs have it worse than we do. All I can say from my end is don't be afraid to strike. I only wish we had done more with our negotiations. Instead all they did was fight for core and use us, VCS, as pawns to fight for their cause. In the end there was no gain for us but more benefits for them. I hate feeling as though it is us v. them because we all work for the same company. Sometimes I just wish our union had the balls to fight for us the same way they fight for core.
You read my mind man...
Thanks for saying it out loud. Sadly the company is taking advantage of how the job market is right now and in all this negotiation BS Prem Techs are going to be the loosers. Yes, go ahead and strike.... guess what? there's people waiting in line to get a chance to say " I'm a prem tech for AT&T!" and guess what? They're going to be hired at the same ridiculous wages than most of us got hired and hoping and waiting for the next contract to come by and hearing them say : "We are brothers (forgetting about the sisters), we'll fight for you Prem Techs even I believe that you are a threat to my long stand position as Core tech... HA, ha,ha. Good luck! I'm OUT!!
Tech in Texas

Lubbock, TX

#1509 Mar 22, 2009
Folks there is a very important key that you are forgetting about and that is AT&T WANTS to pay ALL of it's hourly employees 16.58 an hour, or less. The Union does not have the power, without prem techs, to last through a strike. The minute it looks like we prem techs are getting crossed by the union then we cross the line and go back to work. The ace in the hole for the Union during these labor negotiations are Prem Techs. We prem techs are working in the biggest money making group of the company and the Union can not afford to double cross us if they want their strike to get off the ground and be of consequence to the company.

The people that really need to be concerned about their futures with this company are the lazy hourly employees under the core contract. For the last eight to ten years they have sat on their butts allowing the company implement TFT's, which has placed hourly full time employees in the workforce that have not one shred of protection from the Union, in regards to long term employment and job security with this company. They have let the company pad their own benefits and hourly rates at the expense of future employees. What they have done is set their own jobs up for surplus so that a new workforce, within the company, I.E. Premise Technicians now have their job scope to be increased by the company, that encompasses traditional I&R work and for these Craft 1 jobs to be surplussed and done away with.

I KNOW that for the last two years PT's have felt they have had absolutely no control over their futures. No control of harassment by the company management and misleading interpretations of appendix J that simply screws the PT's over. However, as soon as we go on strike the tables will be reversed for PT's. As long as PT's let their union stewards and local union leadership know, that they as PT's are the key and that we WILL hold the union accountable for the negotiations that affect PT's, then we will get a fair shake at a righteous contract.
Rico357

Cleveland, OH

#1510 Mar 22, 2009
Tech in Texas wrote:
Folks there is a very important key that you are forgetting about and that is AT&T WANTS to pay ALL of it's hourly employees 16.58 an hour, or less. The Union does not have the power, without prem techs, to last through a strike. The minute it looks like we prem techs are getting crossed by the union then we cross the line and go back to work. The ace in the hole for the Union during these labor negotiations are Prem Techs. We prem techs are working in the biggest money making group of the company and the Union can not afford to double cross us if they want their strike to get off the ground and be of consequence to the company.
The people that really need to be concerned about their futures with this company are the lazy hourly employees under the core contract. For the last eight to ten years they have sat on their butts allowing the company implement TFT's, which has placed hourly full time employees in the workforce that have not one shred of protection from the Union, in regards to long term employment and job security with this company. They have let the company pad their own benefits and hourly rates at the expense of future employees. What they have done is set their own jobs up for surplus so that a new workforce, within the company, I.E. Premise Technicians now have their job scope to be increased by the company, that encompasses traditional I&R work and for these Craft 1 jobs to be surplussed and done away with.
I KNOW that for the last two years PT's have felt they have had absolutely no control over their futures. No control of harassment by the company management and misleading interpretations of appendix J that simply screws the PT's over. However, as soon as we go on strike the tables will be reversed for PT's. As long as PT's let their union stewards and local union leadership know, that they as PT's are the key and that we WILL hold the union accountable for the negotiations that affect PT's, then we will get a fair shake at a righteous contract.
Lazy? WTF are you talking about! that's the kind of talk that will divide us all, I'm all for Prem-Techs to be paid more and made part of the core contract, but when some a-hole that's been with the company less than 3yrs and puts himself on-high then that needs to be addressed. First off you would not have a JOB or be able to do an install if it was not for a Splicer doing the fiber and copper at the VRAD, conditioning the f-2 pairs and rehabing neighborhoods, I know you would like to think that the signal that you need just magicked it's way there for you but it don't work like that my young padawan.So cross the picket line and ask for a raise and see how your treated by the company then.
SA Tx Strong

San Antonio, TX

#1511 Mar 22, 2009
I agree with Rico,talk like that divides,one Union one fight,If Prem. Tech suffers,guess what all suffer,it is called breaking the union up people,tactics of the company. I attended a big rally in Dallas,Tx. and you know what I saw,unity,strength and above all one goal, to show this company that we are very strong in numbers. If we stay strong,together,the strike has a 100% chance of working,do we deserve a pay raise,yes,and a huge one,good benefits,better working conditions,job security, and above all respect from the company and our fellow peers in the wire line, I think we have earned that
Tech in Texas

Lubbock, TX

#1512 Mar 22, 2009
Rico357 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lazy? WTF are you talking about! that's the kind of talk that will divide us all, I'm all for Prem-Techs to be paid more and made part of the core contract, but when some a-hole that's been with the company less than 3yrs and puts himself on-high then that needs to be addressed. First off you would not have a JOB or be able to do an install if it was not for a Splicer doing the fiber and copper at the VRAD, conditioning the f-2 pairs and rehabing neighborhoods, I know you would like to think that the signal that you need just magicked it's way there for you but it don't work like that my young padawan.So cross the picket line and ask for a raise and see how your treated by the company then.
Look man I am in no way saying that all is hopeless and that we should go back to work as soon as the strike is called. But your response is one of the biggest problems. You think that because you have worked at this company more than three years you should be treated specially. Well bud, here is your pat on the back thanks again for being apart of a Union that has allowed the company to create the TFT issue and done NOTHING. Thanks again for watching out for the interests of your children and possibly maintaining a Union that could influence their lives when they get old enough to need a GOOD job. Thanks again for being apart of a Union that did NOTHING to prevent such addendum's to the core contract the likes of Appendix J.
You folks under the core contract just keep looking down your noses at us Premise Techs. Because if the Union is unable or unwilling to get Premise Technicians a contract that is equal to Craft 1 in every way, then YOU folks will be out of a job as fast as the company can fill out the paperwork to surplus your departments. If you don't believe that, then you might want to use your superior Jedi Master see the future skill or call any of these TFT I&R or Construction employees that got job completed and are now working as premise technicians.

And one A-hole to another, I do not put my self on high, but I will not cower before the likes of this company, its managers, or some guy that thinks that since I have less than 4 years service in this company, that I have nothing to say about how I am treated. I am a member of this union. And I have been since I was a TFT three and a half years ago. I stand with ALL my brothers and sisters of this union and will until the last "SCAB" is shouted. However, knowing how much the Union did NOT do for me as a TFT I will be vocal, watchful and vigilant.

Since: Mar 09

Lubbock, TX

#1513 Mar 22, 2009
SA Tx is right we have to stay strong. Thats the only way for us to get what we ALL deserve PT's included. I think we can all see that if PT's are left out and kept under the same pay we can kiss core jobs good bye. In that regard Tech in Texas is right. And he is also correct in that PT's are the key. If we cross the line then the negotiations are over and done. Why would the company care two cents when the group that is actually making the money for the company is back to work and for less pay then they have to pay the core employees?

Sure the core people are imperative to provisioning copper and fiber but the thing is we prem techs can learn how to do your job just as well as you did. That and there is always contractors for the stuff that might be out of our reach.

And that is what the company is wishing for. But know full well that at least the PT's in Dallas and Lubbock KNOW our importance to these issues and we are not going to cross. We will stand because a lot of us have decided if we do not get treated as equals in regards to craft 1, then the companies gonna be hiring a bunch of PT's after the negotiations, because half or more will not report back to work.
mbr

Sacramento, CA

#1514 Mar 22, 2009
Tech in Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Look man I am in no way saying that all is hopeless and that we should go back to work as soon as the strike is called. But your response is one of the biggest problems. You think that because you have worked at this company more than three years you should be treated specially. Well bud, here is your pat on the back thanks again for being apart of a Union that has allowed the company to create the TFT issue and done NOTHING. Thanks again for watching out for the interests of your children and possibly maintaining a Union that could influence their lives when they get old enough to need a GOOD job. Thanks again for being apart of a Union that did NOTHING to prevent such addendum's to the core contract the likes of Appendix J.
You folks under the core contract just keep looking down your noses at us Premise Techs. Because if the Union is unable or unwilling to get Premise Technicians a contract that is equal to Craft 1 in every way, then YOU folks will be out of a job as fast as the company can fill out the paperwork to surplus your departments. If you don't believe that, then you might want to use your superior Jedi Master see the future skill or call any of these TFT I&R or Construction employees that got job completed and are now working as premise technicians.
And one A-hole to another, I do not put my self on high, but I will not cower before the likes of this company, its managers, or some guy that thinks that since I have less than 4 years service in this company, that I have nothing to say about how I am treated. I am a member of this union. And I have been since I was a TFT three and a half years ago. I stand with ALL my brothers and sisters of this union and will until the last "SCAB" is shouted. However, knowing how much the Union did NOT do for me as a TFT I will be vocal, watchful and vigilant.
All right, lets think about this for a second? When was the prem tech postion added into the contract? New postion, right? New title? What is hard to understand is that the company wants to keep you at the level where you are, not the union! What the company did is pay prem techs compared to the rest of the competition. And they pay them more in my area, plus benefits. I am not saying you guys do not bust your ass, i know you do. I give credit where it is do. But i do not like someone trying to rag on my job, lets go do some f*ck up pole transfer, lets dive into a pulp cable, trust me that my job is hard and demanding as well! You may be the final step in the fastest growing part of the company but core does everything else first to get to that point. And oh yeah, you are not going to learn what i do or know in a couple of classes from the company. But enough of the this and that, i will go to bat for all of you, i understand your frustrations. But lets remember there is only two sides at contract time, company and union. I know i hear a lot of whining and crying from my fellow members but i never see them at the meetings, never really voice their opinion to the people that matter. So lets stick together, dont fall for the propaganda from the company(or the union as well sometimes). FYI, i do not look down at anybody trying to make a living.
mbr

Sacramento, CA

#1515 Mar 22, 2009
LubbPremTech wrote:
SA Tx is right we have to stay strong. Thats the only way for us to get what we ALL deserve PT's included. I think we can all see that if PT's are left out and kept under the same pay we can kiss core jobs good bye. In that regard Tech in Texas is right. And he is also correct in that PT's are the key. If we cross the line then the negotiations are over and done. Why would the company care two cents when the group that is actually making the money for the company is back to work and for less pay then they have to pay the core employees?
Sure the core people are imperative to provisioning copper and fiber but the thing is we prem techs can learn how to do your job just as well as you did. That and there is always contractors for the stuff that might be out of our reach.
And that is what the company is wishing for. But know full well that at least the PT's in Dallas and Lubbock KNOW our importance to these issues and we are not going to cross. We will stand because a lot of us have decided if we do not get treated as equals in regards to craft 1, then the companies gonna be hiring a bunch of PT's after the negotiations, because half or more will not report back to work.
Here we go again. Are you really aware of how this company relies on the core? You really think that there is that many qualified contractors out there? I have been on both sides of the fence and trust me the company can not last that long. All of this we make the money for this company, blah, blah! Dont get the big picture? Dont realize how everybody plays a part in it? Prem tech is the last step in the process. None are more important than any other group cuz without one group it wont work! You want more money, better benefits, and security? Than stick together. Enough of the i do more, i work harder, my dept. makes the money. The same could be said about any work group.
PAIR CHANGER

Conyers, GA

#1516 Mar 22, 2009
Ok its getting kinda crazy in here. I see alot of good points from everyone in this latest round. Everyone knows the PT is underpaid. It's not the core guys fault or the unions though. My general understanding is that Att brought this title to the union, the union said "your gonna pay them what, I don't think so!" and Att said well screw you were doing it anyway. It's not the unions fault, actually they were trying to look out for this title or put it on hold and negotiate it into the contract. The main thing is that everyone needs to stick together. The Premise Tech definitely needs to be added into the core and everyone knows that including the union. But seriously, when it does everyone needs to fill out that blue form, pay your dues and be a part of the union.
Tech in Texas

Lubbock, TX

#1517 Mar 23, 2009
mbr wrote:
<quoted text>All right, lets think about this for a second? When was the prem tech postion added into the contract? New postion, right? New title? What is hard to understand is that the company wants to keep you at the level where you are, not the union! What the company did is pay prem techs compared to the rest of the competition. And they pay them more in my area, plus benefits. I am not saying you guys do not bust your ass, i know you do. I give credit where it is do. But i do not like someone trying to rag on my job, lets go do some f*ck up pole transfer, lets dive into a pulp cable, trust me that my job is hard and demanding as well! You may be the final step in the fastest growing part of the company but core does everything else first to get to that point. And oh yeah, you are not going to learn what i do or know in a couple of classes from the company. But enough of the this and that, i will go to bat for all of you, i understand your frustrations. But lets remember there is only two sides at contract time, company and union. I know i hear a lot of whining and crying from my fellow members but i never see them at the meetings, never really voice their opinion to the people that matter. So lets stick together, dont fall for the propaganda from the company(or the union as well sometimes). FYI, i do not look down at anybody trying to make a living.
Sure I agree that core employees are important. I have never thought differently, but the company doesn't care about how important we all think the core employees are. They'll surplus your thrity two dollar an hour job as fast as they can and replace you with contractors and prem techs and not be concerned one bit. Is it extremely short sighted of the compnay? Hell yes it is, but they want to get rid of the craft 1 pay thats all they see right now.

Sure prem tech is a new title but Temporary Full Time employees aren't. That issue should have been squashed by the union at the last contract negotiations but they didn't and look at how those folks are being treated now...not one bit of Union protection. I am in no way ragging on your job I am saying that the people in the Union, which are the core hourly employees, have been lazy and complacent the last eight years and have not been conducting Union business as it should have been. If the Union had been on top of the issues then, TFT's would have been gone at the last contract negotiations and they might have told the company to go stick appendix J and hire their contractors for U-Verse installs.

Since: Mar 09

Lubbock, TX

#1518 Mar 23, 2009
mbr wrote:
<quoted text>Here we go again. Are you really aware of how this company relies on the core? You really think that there is that many qualified contractors out there? I have been on both sides of the fence and trust me the company can not last that long. All of this we make the money for this company, blah, blah! Dont get the big picture? Dont realize how everybody plays a part in it? Prem tech is the last step in the process. None are more important than any other group cuz without one group it wont work! You want more money, better benefits, and security? Than stick together. Enough of the i do more, i work harder, my dept. makes the money. The same could be said about any work group.
I agree with you for the most part but I see a different picture than you do and that is the company wants to be done with high hourly pay scales. That unfortunately is where you and your fellow core folks sit. Do I know that core employees are important, absolutely. Do I think all job sets in this company are important, definitely. Can we beat the company if we stand together as one, with out a doubt. I do not think anyone is banging any one department. I think what the specific jest is...is that we prem techs deserve to be treated equally as any other group in the company. And so that those core employees do not wind up on the surplus table it is most important that we get prem techs as close to craft 1 as we can and under the core contract. Because, if we do not accomplish this then it sets the company up perfectly to start teeing off on core employees and moving their job responsibilities to Prem Techs.
Rico357

Cleveland, OH

#1519 Mar 23, 2009
LubbPremTech wrote:
<quoted text>
...is that we prem techs deserve to be treated equally as any other group in the company. And so that those core employees do not wind up on the surplus table it is most important that we get prem techs as close to craft 1 as we can and under the core contract. Because, if we do not accomplish this then it sets the company up perfectly to start teeing off on core employees and moving their job responsibilities to Prem Techs.
That is a good point. Well said
mbr

Sacramento, CA

#1520 Mar 23, 2009
Tech in Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I agree that core employees are important. I have never thought differently, but the company doesn't care about how important we all think the core employees are. They'll surplus your thrity two dollar an hour job as fast as they can and replace you with contractors and prem techs and not be concerned one bit. Is it extremely short sighted of the compnay? Hell yes it is, but they want to get rid of the craft 1 pay thats all they see right now.
Sure preIm tech is a new title but Temporary Full Time employees aren't. That issue should have been squashed by the union at the last contract negotiations but they didn't and look at how those folks are being treated now...not one bit of Union protection. I am in no way ragging on your job I am saying that the people in the Union, which are the core hourly employees, have been lazy and complacent the last eight years and have not been conducting Union business as it should have been. If the Union had been on top of the issues then, TFT's would have been gone at the last contract negotiations and they might have told the company to go stick appendix J and hire their contractors for U-Verse installs.
I agree, the union was short sighted, lets put the pressure on them. To bad Stephenson is in charge, Whitacre was a better people person.
jyp

Fowlerville, MI

#1521 Mar 23, 2009
My husband is a prem tech in Lansing, Mi. This is our first contract, first strike, and first union. Is there anything the spouse (me) can do to help, or do I just sit back and worry and wait?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote for Addison Agen on NBC's The Voice...TONIGHT Mon PookiePoo1963 1
OneBody in Yahawashi, Dallas TX: Don't watch an... Sun Cshebrew 4
Sarah Elizabeth Pyle Photography Sat Bella Gucci 2
Mayor Mike Rawlings Sexually Harassed me Dec 6 Fire the bums 2
News Will Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez become t... Dec 6 Fire the bums 2
Tdal Dec 5 Gunner214 1
Greg Knight Dead Dec 5 Mike Casey 1

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance