brian

Tinley Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

still working no stop, as much as i can handle, but my roommate is a 134 electrian and just got laid off. and he has alot more skills to offer then me, how safe are we, in prem tech????
opt wannabe

Loganville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Pair Changer, you said you called/emailed HR a bunch to get your position. I have emailed them a bunch with no response. Can you email me the number you were calling? tylerjhorner@hotmail.com
THANKS
Poker Fan

Richmond, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

brian wrote:
still working no stop, as much as i can handle, but my roommate is a 134 electrian and just got laid off. and he has alot more skills to offer then me, how safe are we, in prem tech????
If you work in the city of Chicago it doesn't matter what kind of work you do or should I say don't do you will always have a job.Chicago has it's own set of rules.
css jannesville wi

Watertown, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

U verse techs have to start some were... We all did. Wait till contract time to see what happens. But yes its alot of bullshit but it pays the bills. Better than some office job or beating your back up to death in the trades. New truck all the tools u need, cloths good medical and all the overtime u need once they straitin it all out. On how to run things better.
Baby-Tech

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Holysmokes wrote:
Good Morning Everyone:
Well, I just finished the 4th week of training, and Graduated from the "Official" Premises Tech Training Program.
No more classroom for me.
I have been assigned to a Tech Center, and begin riding full time starting Monday.
I have my equipment, and the new truck for me was delivered last week.
As for the 4th week:
* the 1st 2 days revolved around learning how
to attach the different types of customer
equipment to our equipment.
* the next 2 days revolved around various
Customer Service scenarios.
* the last day was a review, followed by a
PASS/FAIL test. Fortunately, I passed.
By the way, some other things that are provided for you other than benefits:
* if you wear glasses, Prem Techs are required to wear SAFETY glasses, so, AT&T will buy you 2 sets of Prescription Safety Glasses. 1 regular, and 1 sunglasses.
* you are required to wear AT&T Uniforms. So, AT&T gives you $225 toward the purchases of those uniforms. I spent $224.93 and got:
- 1 AT&T Winter Jacket with logo
- 2 short sleeve shirts with logo - White
- 2 short sleeve shirts with logo - Blue
- 2 long sleeve shirts with logo - Blue
- 1 AT&T U-Verse hat
That is all I know so far.
Holysmokes
Holysmokes,

I stumbled onto your Premise Tech info. I just got hired on after the lengthy process and head out to training in Atlanta on 2 March.

I was wondering what each of your first three weeks of training consisted of? Does each week end with a test?

Would appreciate any info you could share.

Baby-Tech
Baby-Tech

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Can any of you seasoned Techs shed light on the AT&T Prem Tech traing course? I was just hired on and attend the raining course in Atlanta, 2 Mar.

They said it would be 6-9 weeks. Any one remember what you did each week?
opt wannabe

Loganville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

baby tech did you get offered the position for north atlanta/roswell?
mmee

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

hey, as far as the training goes it is all rather simple. if you have any kind telco experience, it will be a breaze. 1st week is all safety, and depending on your trainer, plenty of videos and plenty of breaks..
my second week, as well as most others, we rode with a premise tech to kind of see what was going on. third and forth weeks consist of how to use the meters you'll be using, how to make connectors and how to work on a nid(network interface device)the last weeks vary from trainer to trainer. mostly consists of wiring a nid, making sure you do everything to at&t standards. One main thing is that when you learn stuff in training its not at all what it is like once you are out in the field. ask a lot of technical questions, like what are your numbers on your jdsu supposed to read. Once your on your own, it will all make sense. theyre are tests, but you really cant fail them...good luck and try not to get stressed out by the miscommunication between all of the different hoops you have to jump through
WI justin

Wausau, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Bob wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly what kind of physical are we talking about ?
Easy one. They check your heart,BP, back,for hernia, for drugs. They need 14 situps in one minute.
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Hello Joe:

I think you used to write on the board as "Active DutyMarine". I remember when you were hired.

I am sorry things didn't work out for you. I was wondering why you stopped updating the board.

I am glad you didn't get hurt in the accident.

Your warning about the long hours is well taken.

Good luck on your new job.

Holysmokes
Joe wrote:
I WAS a Premise Technician working out of the (UV6) Stockbridge, Ga work center, however, I was 'fired' because I did something foolish. My first day (orientation) was just 3.5 months ago, 10.10.2008, two days after leaving the Marine Corp. I actually was hired before I moved back to my hometown of Atlanta, Ga, and, I was excited as hell! I was starting off at $15/hr. with the promise of decent overtime. It wasn't until I started in the field alone that I realized I would not be able to spend much time with my wife of three years and our new born son (01.07.2009). The nature of the job started to catch up with me. One night while driving home from my work center, I fell asleep behind the wheel of my car, on a major interstate highway, and tail ended another vehicle. Thank GOD that not even a hair was harmed on anyone. There was minimal damage to both vehicles. That was a wake up call! People may say you are an idiot, truth is, I may have been, however, I had been dog-tired ever since two weeks after I started in the field by myself. There had been several nights where I did not return to my work center till close to midnight. One night I did not get back to almost 1 AM, installing some fucking tv and internet in some idiot's house. That was another hit below the belt. My supervisor and manager agreed the late nights were my fault because they feel all I had to do was call my supervisor. I did call him and he did what he always does. My supervisor was new and did not seem to have much of a backbone, and our area manager is a stubborn, highly opinionated fat dude. Getting in that accident baked the cake, and my supervisor's and area manager's seemingly non-chalant attitudes about that situation put the icing on the cake. Something in me snapped. The next morning, I did something very FOOLISH. I was the first one to the work center and I knew my supervisor would be out. I ripped down the paper board that listed our numbers and things like that and wrote fuck this job on the white board. Yes, it was stupid. Yes, I was a complete fool for what I did, especially since I have family. I had to ask God for forgiveness and I know He forgave me because I meant it and He knows my heart. Thank God we are in a position where we do not have to worry about bills getting paid in the midst of my termination. I am sharing this story because I want anyone who is applying to this position to reconsider their options, especially if you are married and/or have children who reside with you. If you have to grind it out, then so be it, but be prepared. It may be a good job for those who are single, but just know that for anyone: you will not have much of a personal or social life. Do I wish I still had the job? Honestly: absolutely not. I have moved on to other employment and I am now able to pursue my academic goals. Many of you may not be as lucky or as blessed as me, depending on how you look at it, but I believe I truly have the favor of God on my life. I hope this is beneficial to present PT's as well as aspiring PT's. Much props to those of you who continue the daily struggle called Premise Technician. I don't see how you do it, especially if you have been doing this U-verse thing for a year or more in places other than the Southeast. We are not represented as you are, however, because the system is just over a year old here, we do not have it as bad because demand is still picking up, BUT, it is still hell!!!
Peace
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Hello Baby Tech:

Long day yesterday, so I will just reprint for you below my earlier blogs that outlined my first few weeks:

Hope this helps.

Holysmokes
Baby-Tech wrote:
<quoted text>
Holysmokes,
I stumbled onto your Premise Tech info. I just got hired on after the lengthy process and head out to training in Atlanta on 2 March.
I was wondering what each of your first three weeks of training consisted of? Does each week end with a test?
Would appreciate any info you could share.
Baby-Tech
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

GETTING HIRED AND ALL THE TESTING AND PHYSICALS:
9/12/2008

I have been following this blog for a while, and I guess I will tell you my story.

In addition, I will conclude by telling you what I know as to why there is such a delay in hiring you guys.

My previous employer laid me off, and I was unemployed for many months.

In March 2008, I applied for the Premises Tech position with AT&T and within an hour, received an email from AT&T to go take two tests.

I took both tests 2 days later and passed both tests.

Both tests were easy. One on general mechanical principles, and the second one was on general computer skills.

At the end of the tests, I was told that I passed, was given two documents stating so, and was told that I would hear from AT&T in a few days.

That was mid-March.

I heard nothing further from AT&T until mid-July.

In mid-July, I received a routine email from AT&T stating that their previous email to me had a typo in it about the pay-scale.

I responded to the email, stating that I had not received the previous email that they were describing, and that, in fact, I had not heard from them since March.

In late July, I received a new email stating that I would hear from them soon.

In the last week of August, on a Wednesday, I received an urgent email stating that they wanted me to immediately go to a website and complete an "updated" online application that was "new" to the process.

I had a question about the application, and sent an email asking for someone to call me.

Within an hour, I received a phone call that answered my question.

In addition, the person that called me stated that they were definitely interested in me, and that I would definitely hear back from AT&T soon.

After the phone call, I completed the application that very night, and I then sent out a new email to let them know that I had completed the application.

Two days later, on a Friday, I GOT THE CALL.

"AT&T wanted me to drive down to Fort Lauderdale for an interview."

I asked when ? She said "it is too late today, so how about tomorrow, Saturday ?"

I told her great, but that I was surprised that AT&T would be doing interviews on a Saturday during the Labor Day Weekend. She just laughed & said "get here soon."

The next day, Saturday, I drove down to Fort Lauderdale, and arrived early. She took me right in, and the interview lasted about 45 minutes.

This is what I learned:

* the position is full-time, permanent.
* the position is NOT with the Union.
* medical benefits for the employee are FREE, but you have to pay for benefits for your family.
* medical benefits start the day you hire if that is what you want. You do not have to wait 6 months.
* the work is very hard, and there is a high probability of overtime depending on what city you are in.

I was then offered a specific wage that took into account my previous skills that are useful to AT&T.

I stated that the wage was fine with me.

She then had me sign a form in reference to AT&T pulling a "background check" on me.

(to the person that asked about misdemeanors and felonies. The recruiter stated that a felony would probably hurt you depending on what it was, and that a misdemeanor would probably not affect you, but the bottom line would be the "score" that came from the vendor that performed the background checks.)

The interview ended with instructions for me to return to Jacksonville, and to call a specific Doctors office on Tuesday (Monday was Labor Day) to schedule for a "physical and drug test", but that I MUST have completed the Physical and Drug test by Wednesday.

(continued)
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

GETTING HIRED AND ALL THE TESTING AND PHYSICALS:

(continued)

On Tuesday, I called the Doctor, and made the appointment for Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I completed the Physical and Drug test. here is what I remember:

* The drug test was a piss test. no big deal.
* The Physical was a series of general health questions, followed by 4 tests:
1 - 14 situps in 60 seconds.(I did them in 30)
2 - Simultaneously lift two hand-weights, one in each hand, 4 times each, while squatting down to knee level, and then rising back to full height. The total "weight" was changed each of the 4 times, from: 20 lbs, 40 lbs, 60 lbs, and then 80 lbs.
3 - lay on your stomach and hold your upper body, and then legs, a foot off the groud for 10 seconds each.
4 - lay on your back, and hold your feet in the air for 10 seconds.

That was it. Nothing more. I was told that I passed the physical, and that the drug test would be sent to a lab.

I went home after the physical, and sent the AT&T recruiter in Fort Lauderdale an email, and left a voice-message that I had followed her instructions.

That was Wednesday.

On Saturday, 9/6/08, the Recruiter called me, stated I passed the "security background check", and the "drug test", and that I was hired, and that she was sending me an email confirmation of such, and that I was to report to work on Monday, 9/8/08.

So, I am now an AT&T Premises Technician in training here in Jacksonville.

I reported to work this past Monday, and just completed my first week of training.

It was hard.

There are 4 weeks of training I am told, with the possibility of a 5th.
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

TRAINING WEEK 1:

The first week that I just completed was all about "Safety".

It was all "bookwork" and videos except for a "driving test". The "Driving Test" was a PASS/FAIL test. There was also a PASS/FAIL written test. I got a 100 on the written, and I passed the "Driving Test."

So, for me, the important thing is that I HAVE SURVIVED THE FIRST WEEK OF TRAINING......

For the moment at least, I am still an AT&T Premises Tech in training.

I have many more PASS/FAIL tests to go over the coming weeks.

I hope I make it.

I will be doing my best.

Wish me luck...
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

TRAINING WEEK 2:

9/21/2008

Good Evening:

Well, I just finished the 2nd week of Prem Tech Training.

I passed, so, for the moment, I am still an AT&T employee.

I have another 3 or 4 weeks of training left.

Good jobs are hard to come by these days, and I am taking this one week at a time.

The 2nd week covered two areas "Customer Service", and "Wiring."

The "Customer Service" part lasted 2 days and ended with a simulated conversation with the customer. To pass the simulation, you had to:

* ask all the right questions
* give all the right answers
* follow the correct sequence of the above

The "WIRING" part was much harder. it consisted of 3 days, 2 of which had the following:

* learn to create cat5 cables
* learn to create coax cables
* learn the various scenarios in which we install the above two either separately, or in tandem. This involves creating 3 separate "wiring jobs" on simulated customer homes.

The "WIRING" part ended on the 3rd day with a "FINAL 'PASS/FAIL' GRADED TEST" that consisted of installing a specific job of CAT5 and COAX combined.

Each step of the install is assigned a grade.

Each step is worth 5 points, and you are allowed to "miss" 2 steps, or "10 points".

You must make at least a 90 to pass. Anything less and you fail.

Despite the "5-point per step" rule listed above, they also have small "1-POINT FLAWS" that they hit you with. I passed all the "main steps", but got hit with 3 "point flaws" and ended up with a 97 on the test.

The 3rd week starts tomorrow, and we are assigned to "shadow" an experienced tech on their installs at customer homes.

Have a nice day.
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

TRAINING WEEK 3:

9/26/09

Good Evening Everyone:

It is Friday night and I just finished Week 3 of training.

Week 3 is a "RIDE" week, where you are paired with an experienced Prem Tech and ride with him, and act as his helper on jobs.

In Week 2, we learned "Wiring", and on Week 3, we are expected to PROVE that we learned the wiring scenarios, and are expected to provide MEANINGFUL help to the Prem Tech we are assigned to help.

You are NOT just an observer...

During this past week, I was assigned to 4 different Prem Techs, and learned a lot.

I climbed under houses, & ran coax and cat5, and setup the NID, and walked customers thru the "Education" on how to surf U-Verse.

Some of the jobs went like clockwork, and 1 job was a nightmare.

But, all in all, I had a blast.

It was fun.

Next week, Week 4, we go back into the training center and work on our CPE's, which is U-Verse slang for learning how to setup all of the different combinations of HARDWARE variations that the customers might have, that we will need to incorporate into our setups. ie: stereo systems, vcr's, game systems, etc.

Have a nice weekend.

Holysmokes
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

TRAINING WEEK 4:

10/4/2008

Good Morning Everyone:

Well, I just finished the 4th week of training, and Graduated from the "Official" Premises Tech Training Program.

No more classroom for me.

I have been assigned to a Tech Center, and begin riding full time starting Monday.

I have my equipment, and the new truck for me was delivered last week.

As for the 4th week:
* the 1st 2 days revolved around learning how
to attach the different types of customer
equipment to our equipment.
* the next 2 days revolved around various
Customer Service scenarios.
* the last day was a review, followed by a
PASS/FAIL test. Fortunately, I passed.

By the way, some other things that are provided for you other than benefits:

* if you wear glasses, Prem Techs are required to wear SAFETY glasses, so, AT&T will buy you 2 sets of Prescription Safety Glasses. 1 regular, and 1 sunglasses.

* you are required to wear AT&T Uniforms. So, AT&T gives you $225 toward the purchases of those uniforms. I spent $224.93 and got:
- 1 AT&T Winter Jacket with logo
- 2 short sleeve shirts with logo - White
- 2 short sleeve shirts with logo - Blue
- 2 long sleeve shirts with logo - Blue
- 1 AT&T U-Verse hat

Holysmokes
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

TRAINING WEEK 5:

10/11/2008

Hello All:

I just completed WEEK 5 of training.

It was a ride week. My second ride week so far.

Climbed in an attic and under a house. Wasn't too bad.

The rest of the time, was relatively easy, though time consuming.

First you have to examine the customers current wiring in order to see if it can be used, and how to re-route it to suit our purposes.

Then you make the changes.

Then educate the customer on how to use it, and move on.

The hard ones are where you have to wait for ST's to make adjustments on the street before we can start.

I have my IFD & JDSU, and get Cellphone on Monday. Not sure when I get my truck.

That is all so far.
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Hello All:

Now for "real time."

I haven't updated this board since my 5th week of training back in October of 2008.

Much has happened since then.

I got my truck, my company cell phone, my IFD, my JDSU and my tools.

I went to work, riding alone in my truck.

Hard work.

Long hours.

I spend all day in other peoples homes. Climbing in their attics, under their floors. In their bedrooms, etc.

Some houses are spotless and clean, and others are dumps...

Some customers are easy to get along with, and others are demanding jerks...

I learned how to "fish" cable down inside walls using the "magna-pull". cool device. saves time.

After almost 6 months on the job, here are three of what I consider to be the "MOST IMPORTANT" things to learn:

* You must learn how to "visualize" in your mind the quickest, and simplest wiring plan for the particular home you are working on. In other words:

1 do you place your U-Verse box near the NID,
or do you place it at the other end of the
house, or in the attic, and then run a
VDSL line from the NID to that place....?

2 are there any existing cables that you can
reuse....?

3 where do you place your RG ....? this is
very important. we want the RG to be by
the customers main PC, which is easy to do
"if that room is already wired." ... but
what if it isn't...?... do we spend time
WIRING the room ??? or do we place the RG
in another room that IS WIRED, and use a
powerplug device to route the HSIA signal
to the pc ....?

TIME... EVERYTHING IS ABOUT TIME....

AT&T wants us to do 2 full installs a day...

You have to THINK SMART, and avoid wasting time, and PLAN your install so as to complete it using the least time.

Hope this helps.

Holysmokes
Fibersplicer

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

For the first time in 18 years, I get sick to my stomach at the thought of coming to work. I've been detailed away from my home and my family for the past nine weeks and now i have to go to chicago. The mismanagement is unbelievable. It's about time Our Union does something about the abuse the company bestows on us. Enough is enough. I know people who are actually getting divorced because their husbands are never home. They are always on a detail. It's so frustrating. It gets harder and harder to get out of bed for this company, because they just don't care about their employees. They are just to big, you are just a number nothing more and a lot less.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Dallas Forum right now

Search the Dallas Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 57 min That Fart Guy 21,713
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 59 min That Fart Guy 17,264
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 592
Directv referral discount - (Aug '13) Tue Galen 43
Winner of $12 million lottery jackpot has until... Tue alfordadams 4
New Chiropractor Joins Sarasota Chiropractic, P... Jul 29 Chiropractor from Chicago 2
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) Jul 29 Jennifer Renee 761
•••
•••

Dallas News Video

•••
•••

Dallas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dallas People Search