AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Jason

Utica, KY

#1362 Jan 17, 2009
Does anyone here know if and where in Texas PLS crews are still in place and no where close to WC? I do F2 conditioning in Georgia and I am trying to find a way out to Texas, and my only chances of doing so seem to be to move to another PLS crew or to find a prem tech opening, which I just cannot subject myself to after everything I have heard and read about the job, as well as what I have read about their pay. Currently I'm on the pay scale of an OPT in Georgia for F2 conditioning, but with Texas having a different contract, I am curious, also, what PLS crews are paid there. I already dug up the pay scale for Prem Tech...and...god I feel bad for them. Not to mention the hard time they get from senior and permanent crews. I thought I took a lot of shit in Georgia from other crews for being a term employee, but it seems Prem Techs really get it worse from other crews.
Anyway...any information would be helpful
Jason
PLS Conditioning, Atlanta, GA
Houstontech

Nashville, GA

#1363 Jan 17, 2009
I was a splicer brought in under the "temporary full-time" or TFT title... We were basically contractors with full company benefits. We made the top group one craft pay of 30$/hour. In December 140 of 188 TFT splicers in Houston were told to find another job in AT&T or be jobless by Dec. 31st. So, basically 46 prem tech spots were offered and thats what the lucky 46 of us with seniority took. So far the job is MUCH more work than I ever did as a splicer at half the pay and no double time hours after nine hours of overtime per week. Not very happy with it, but in today's economy, it's better than no job. Word is from our union reps that they are currently fighting to move this position to group one craft pay and benefits (Appendix C of the contract) in the April 09 negotiations.....Sooo...I hope and wait since this is only two months away.
Houstontech

Nashville, GA

#1364 Jan 17, 2009
Oh by the way...the prem tech position here in Houston is a PERMANENT position..not a temporary full-time or term spot.. SO, if they pull us up to Group 1 Craft pay and benefits...it will basically be a promotion for me and all the rest of the 46 people forced into this spot. The pay and benefits we had, permanent status, and seniority in our crews since most of us have more time than all the prem techs in the area.
Rico 357

Cleveland, OH

#1365 Jan 17, 2009
Lycan wrote:
Either layoff or prem tech there will be more irt techs forced over to premise tech.The company is surplusing splicers and laying off line gang so if you think you can advance in the company your wrong there is nowhere to advance to.I also have a stellar performance record within the company with no accidents or injuries.Senoirity rules theres no 2 ways about it
Lycan, Were you surplused? and did the union negotiate the move to the Prem Tech position thru effects barganing?
Jason

Utica, KY

#1366 Jan 17, 2009
Are prem techs still in large demand in the Houston area?
LOBO

Sebastian, FL

#1367 Jan 18, 2009
I'm a prem tech in florida. This job really ####'s. 10- 12 hr days. $9 per hour, unsafe attic conditions. Management dogging you out and spying on you 100% of the time. Any other Fl prem techs have the kahunas to tell your story here.
RH-San Diego

Chula Vista, CA

#1368 Jan 18, 2009
17 years with the phone company. PacBell, SBC, At&t. I was somewhat disappointed to see the low wages for premise tech given the fact that is the tech of the future. One thing you have to remember is that the bigger you get the more powerful you will become when it comes to negotiating new benefits (salary, health and pension). Think Union. If all of the Uverse techs get their work experience and become good at what they do, At&t will be hurt to see you walk when it comes to negotiating a new contract. Become the force that the company needs and your needs will be met. Unity that is what CWA is. It will take time and work.
Fibersplicer

United States

#1369 Jan 18, 2009
I've worked at Illinois Bell, Ameritech, SBC and now AT&T for 18 years. It is nowhere near the company that it was when I started. I never once not wanted to get out of bed and go to work. I loved my job. I was a linemen back then and it was a great job. They have taken all of the enjoyment out of the job. I took pride in my work and the bosses noticed a good job. Now its the complete opposite. Safety out the window, just get it done. Numbers....Numbers...Numbers!! Upper management has completely screwed up the Lightspeed build. The over-estimated the size and scope of this build. There answer for everything is throw bodies at it. Then they lay people off. And they don't have the man power to do the job. Oh and its all the Union and its members fault. Its time Upper management looks itself in the mirror because it starts with them!!! We the techs, will get the work done with pride. Just get management to get on board and do this build the right way. "If you Build it, they will Come!!"

Since: Jan 09

Miami, FL

#1370 Jan 19, 2009
Hello All,

I applied with Att on 1/9/09 as prem tech in ft. lauderdale, fl. Received a email regarding the test on 1/15/09 also saying the starting pay is $360 to $600 a week. Then the next day i received another email that saying the starting pay is $520 to $760 a week. I take the test on 1/22/09. Would anyone say its going faster that normal or is this usual. Unfortunately i was layed off from my previous employer because of the bad times so i'll take whatever comes first to continue to support my family.
JustAnotherTech

Spartanburg, SC

#1371 Jan 19, 2009
They are hiring and fast in Orlando and South Florida. Full time, perm but no union Prem Techs. Hey, it's a job! Prepare to work tons of overtime and do some sweating. Test is only basic mechanic and math stuff and very basic computer. If you do drugs, forget it, won't be in soon. And the physical is some sit-ups, lifting and general stuff. Good Luck.
New Guy

Waynesville, NC

#1372 Jan 20, 2009
I weight 300 pounds. The position says that you half to be 275 do they look at that and would that stop me from getting the prem job.
Fios Tech

Riverview, FL

#1373 Jan 20, 2009
Readygo02 wrote:
Hello All,
I applied with Att on 1/9/09 as prem tech in ft. lauderdale, fl. Received a email regarding the test on 1/15/09 also saying the starting pay is $360 to $600 a week. Then the next day i received another email that saying the starting pay is $520 to $760 a week. I take the test on 1/22/09. Would anyone say its going faster that normal or is this usual. Unfortunately i was layed off from my previous employer because of the bad times so i'll take whatever comes first to continue to support my family.
Can you respond to me with how to contact At&T maybe an HR rep or something to contact them alreasy applied online. DO I have to wait for an email or is there someone I can contact
Who me

Seattle, WA

#1374 Jan 20, 2009
New Guy wrote:
I weight 300 pounds. The position says that you half to be 275 do they look at that and would that stop me from getting the prem job.
Sorry but yes it will.
Attics, bucket trucks, ladders and other equipment has weight limits on them and ATT is very strict about it.
Rico 357

Cleveland, OH

#1375 Jan 20, 2009
Any Core techs here from CWA district 1, CT to be exact. would like info on how your surplus was handled.
barney300

Overland Park, KS

#1376 Jan 20, 2009
Weight strictness? Not in Kansas City. I know several folks over the big 300 and no one does anything about it. America is obese and our healthcare is paying for it so you would think these rules would be uniformly enforced. Frankly, when we represent a company and go into homes or are seem in public with identifying logos, we should look in shape.
texan

South San Francisco, CA

#1377 Jan 20, 2009
New Guy wrote:
Yes this may infact be a problem since the tech can't exceed 275 lbs that's with tools included.

In other words a tech would have to be no more than 250lbs since the tool belt is usually around 25lbs alone.
disgruntled peon

Spartanburg, SC

#1378 Jan 21, 2009
barney300 wrote:
Weight strictness? Not in Kansas City. I know several folks over the big 300 and no one does anything about it. America is obese and our healthcare is paying for it so you would think these rules would be uniformly enforced. Frankly, when we represent a company and go into homes or are seem in public with identifying logos, we should look in shape.
I think that you should look like a slob in every way possible.

Being a fat ass, not shaving, wearing wrinkled, and or dirty clothing, looking just plain dirty or hung-over.

This is a better way of representing the type of "not giving a sh!t" employees that att attracts with their sh!tty pay scale.
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

#1379 Jan 21, 2009
Readygo02 wrote:
Hello All,
Hello ReadyGo02:

If you pass the tests, and they have an opening, you will be called in for an interview.

If there isn't an opening, then you will get an email stating they will get back to you.

Good luck.
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

#1380 Jan 21, 2009
Fios Tech wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you respond to me with how to contact At&T maybe an HR rep or something to contact them. already applied online. DO I have to wait for an email or is there someone I can contact
If you really want to get on, then you need to contact a local Prem Tech in your town, and get him to recommend you to his boss. If the boss thinks you are qualified, then you can get on the fast-track.

Many new-hires are recommended by current techs.
Supertech

United States

#1381 Jan 22, 2009
This job sucks. I have done linework, and this is much more difficult than outside construction.All of you I+R techs thinking you do anywhere near as much work as a Prem Tech have NO CLUE what a Prem Tech does. I would much rather climb 45 foot poles all day than crawl through wet crawl spaces and hot, dusty attics. The work load is honestly more than twice what a lineworker does, and for less than half the pay.
Hopefully, these positions will lead to something better, but with what ATT has become, and the way they now treat their non-core contract workers, I doubt it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Obama addressed 'many sides' after Dallas p... 3 hr Mick 21
kinfolk mc member a snitch! (Dec '16) 13 hr El Bandido 20
Hitler was a JEW(Khazar) (Jul '13) 14 hr 106 8IT khazar 2
Robert E Lee Park 16 hr Eric Ramsey 1
News If we mean to remove memorials of white suprema... Tue Eric Ramsey 1
News Dallas City Council Will Vote in the Next Month... Tue Eric Ramsey 1
News Not everyone on same page at rally calling for ... Aug 14 John Wiley Price 2

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages