AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Coppy

Hanover Park, IL

#81 Jan 29, 2008
Keep in mind that att is hiring prem techs at a low wage, but will be expecting them to exmapnd the work base OUTSIDE of the home. It wont be long before the responsibilities of the prem tech include climbing pole, attaching drops, fixing cable pairs and beyond. Basically, everything a $30+ per hour tech does, but for peanuts. Why?
If you were a multi zillion dollar company looking to get twice for half, how would you do it?
Bamboozle the union into making a tier 2 wage group, then train the low guys to do the big dog work.
And to add salt to the wound...Detroit is offering VoIP over the uverse signal.
The less copper to fix, the less technicians needed...
Anyone seeing a trend here?
DJF

Dolton, IL

#82 Jan 29, 2008
Does anyone knows if the pay is weekly or bi-weekly. Also what are the perks..is there free digital TV..free home or wireless phone service
Terry

United States

#83 Jan 30, 2008
Mich wrote:
what is the starting rate for premises tech.? I live in Illinois and thought I would be offered 523 a week and just got a call and HR said only 424 week.
I go to my oreintation on frida, and I also was offered $424.00 a week, that's not a lo considering I made $46.000.00 last year so it's nice to hear that there's an opportunity to make some mopre money with OT. Howerver I to am looking more towards benifits and also being in a union.
Terry

United States

#84 Jan 30, 2008
Can someone tell me what a premisis tech could stand to make over a years time with OT.
Mich

Warrenville, IL

#85 Jan 30, 2008
Terry, are you going to the Hoffman Estates orientation? and did they tell you when and where you would be training?
Heather

Wentzville, MO

#86 Jan 30, 2008
I was wondering if your pay is really thatbad. We live in Wentzville and my husband just took this test. Is the pay seriously that low. He was supposed to start back late in 2007. But took a job with a salary of 27,000 a year. Would it be worth his changing positions. He is currently a store manager
Terry

United States

#87 Jan 30, 2008
Mich wrote:
Terry, are you going to the Hoffman Estates orientation? and did they tell you when and where you would be training?
Yeah Mich I'm going to the Hoffman Estates orientation, I'll be training in Westmont, where are you training?.. from the looks of all the comments it seems like in order tom make the most of this job we need to be in for the long haul
Terry

United States

#88 Jan 30, 2008
Heather wrote:
I was wondering if your pay is really thatbad. We live in Wentzville and my husband just took this test. Is the pay seriously that low. He was supposed to start back late in 2007. But took a job with a salary of 27,000 a year. Would it be worth his changing positions. He is currently a store manager
Heather I start next week, so I really don't know yet but it looks like your husband will be getting about 3-4 hrs OT a day and some weekends too so he could make more than $27.000,. how about me I made $48.000 last year but I do computer graphics on a freelance bases so I worked at 5 different companonies it's very political, cut throat and competitive also the hiring adgencies are exploiting our talents for thier own gains so at least with this job I can one day get back to the money I used to making and have a union behind me.
RecruiterGuy

Fort Worth, TX

#89 Jan 30, 2008
@all,

My name is Chris Hoyt and I'm the Associate Director of Recruiting for AT&T's NonManagement talent acquisition team. Basically it's my team's responsibility to get the word out to people that we may be hiring in their areas and help them through the application process whenever we can.
I don't check these forums often, but wanted to chime in after reading this particular chain of messages (I'm based in Dallas, btw - a quick Google search for "RecruiterGuy" will get you any info on me you could want.)

Let me answer some of the concerns and comments in this thread - I'll lay it out without trying to sugar coat anything or 'sell' you on the job or company.

Our Premises Technician jobs are one of the BEST foot-in-the-door technician titles I've ever seen. These men and women go on scheduled calls to customers homes and install the new U-verse product.
Are they busy? You bet!
Are they working overtime? Oh yeah.

We should be VERY clear here, though. This is a VERY different job from an outside service tech or a cable technician - and the skills currently required or vastly different.

An AT&T Premises Technician will arrive at a customers home and perform signal checks and the box installation. They'll set up the main Internet connection and set top box and set up additional PC's/TV's and Wi-Fi network for the customers.
They'll show AND explain to a customer how the service works to include how to log in to the network, order movies on demand, operate the DVR, surf the menu, use the search features of the service, etc. etc.- bottom line? They don't do any major wiring or network work but they also don't drop of a 100 button remote and race to the next ticket.
They get a company laptop, company vehicle, their tools are provided/paid for, and they receive branded apparel to wear.
They DO have a competitive wage AND benefits package for comparable job titles - in my opinion this really can't be argued - the key here being comparable job titles.

The main part of this job is communication with the customer and ensuring that each customer gets an operational system on install and UNDERSTANDS how to use it.
It's probably more customer service as it is technical to be very honest. It's important that it be realized that these people must have strong communication skills and enjoy working with our customers - or they're looking at the wrong job.

How many installs are they doing a day?
They average one or two.

How much OT are they getting?
There is literally no way to answer that across the board - it varies by location and product demand. Got a specific market you want to know about - ask me, I'll find out for you.

How long does the application process take from application to hire?
Again, it depends. AT&T works through the literally thousands of applicants to find the MOST QUALIFIED candidates - we don't hire based on first come, first serve - our staffing teams are looking for the BEST candidates for the job.
Rest assured however that our teams are as eager to fill these jobs as you might be to start, I promise.:-)

Are there test preparation guides?
Contact me - I'll share with you whatever I can.

@DEE3570 and Tech,
Email me at my gmail account and I promise that myself or a member of my team will contact you ASAP and help you get an understanding of where you may be in the process and answer ANY questions you might have.
This, of course, goes for anyone else also. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit me to head back to this board as often as I'd like - so I don't want it to be inferred that I'm not responding to any inquiries left here.
My Gmail address literally hits me on the hip (blackberry) and is THE fastest way to reach me.

Use my nickname @gmail.com

I hope to hear from some of you!

RecruiterGuy
aka: Chris
GuyRecruiter

United States

#90 Jan 31, 2008
RecruiterGuy wrote:
@all,
My name is Chris Hoyt and I'm the Associate Director of Recruiting for AT&T's NonManagement talent acquisition team. Basically it's my team's responsibility to get the word out to people that we may be hiring in their areas and help them through the application process whenever we can.
I don't check these forums often, but wanted to chime in after reading this particular chain of messages (I'm based in Dallas, btw - a quick Google search for "RecruiterGuy" will get you any info on me you could want.)

RecruiterGuy
aka: Chris
What a bunch of BS. Associate Director of Recruiting for AT&T's NonManagement talent acquisition team?!?
More like Ass-ociate Manipulator of anyone that wants to work in a poverty income bracket while working extremely hard for AT&T's Slavery is back team!
CJB

Lewisville, TX

#91 Feb 1, 2008
Wow. I did email him, no response...
ATT Prem tech

United States

#92 Feb 1, 2008
13.07 and bi weekly
ATT Prem tech

United States

#93 Feb 1, 2008
But with all the over time you bring home 1250 a week with no prob 2500 after taxes every 2 weeks
CJB

Lewisville, TX

#94 Feb 2, 2008
Well I got my email from him. We'll see what happens...
Jacob

Lake Elsinore, CA

#95 Feb 2, 2008
ATT Prem tech wrote:
But with all the over time you bring home 1250 a week with no prob 2500 after taxes every 2 weeks
You sure you bring home that much? My quick math if you making 13.07/16.00*100 hour a week that means $1300.07/$1600.00-25% ITax/Fico=$980/$1200 bring home. That come to 100 hour a week which takes five 12 hours work days and working the weekend at least 10 hours at time and half. Wow that a lot of work look like they are really short handed.
Cable Guy

Silver Spring, MD

#96 Feb 2, 2008
I work for cox communications and here the field tech is responsible for all wire from the customers preferred equipment to the pole. We have 2 levels of techs one for video only and then a 3 product tech that does video,internet,home networking,packet switched phone and voip. I don't know why they call it a 3 product tech but they do. Entry is at 13.00 and you max at 29.00 for a 3 product. They will work you till you drop doing installs and trouble shooting. I'm in all weather rain or shine and in confined spaces that have hit over 130 degrees.(according to my key chain thermometer) You do for some strange reason learn to love this kind of work. I have a hard time picturing any other line of work.

I'm planning on moving to Texas around the middle to the end of this year. I hope they do merge the perm techs to outside. It only takes 30 min. to hang a drop. Unless you have sub poles or trees.
CJB

Lewisville, TX

#98 Feb 4, 2008
Cable Guy wrote:
I work for cox communications
I'm planning on moving to Texas
I guess that only gives you 2 choices, Comcast, or AT&T...
Cable guy

Silver Spring, MD

#100 Feb 4, 2008
Ahh ha ha ha ha !!! I've talked to Comcast employees. They have different gripes but all in all its the same. It's a senior ATT tech that I need the opinion from. My boss use to work in Philly with ATT years ago and he said it was a lot better than our system here in D.C. "Quality of management as well as the systems plant" I'm going to shoot for it and see if I can get in touch with a field ops supervisor for better details today. Just need to update that old resume.
CJB

Lewisville, TX

#101 Feb 6, 2008
I hear ya. I've been lazy, I haven't applied with Comcast yet. I will tonight...
dmz

Bellwood, IL

#102 Feb 7, 2008
billy willy is it a strip test where they just drop drops on paper

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 5 min Observer 1,045
News Crime 17 mins ago 5:38 p.m.Nurse accused of sex... 1 hr Ananimous 3
Looking for female French Bulldog to breed with... 16 hr eye for an eye 8
Cowboys future Mon Horrible secondary 1
kinfolk mc member a snitch! Sun truth45 5
News Dallas police say 4 jailed in slaying of theft ... (Dec '08) Sun Caught_Ya_Nestor 19
News Two at large in North Texas drug-ring bust (Mar '07) Jan 14 Errybody 53

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages