AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
pacman

Pacifica, CA

#919 Sep 17, 2008
Heads up! Rumors have been confirmed, Prem tech hiring will soon be frozen , from what i understand contractors called "connect-tech" are already beginning to do piece jobs for x amount of money, hate to say it, but the way things are going looks like Prem techs soon after 1 year of the maximum 3yrs will probably be let go...anyways just some food for thought for all you prem tech hopefulls out there.
ATTic Tech

AOL

#921 Sep 18, 2008
pacman wrote:
Heads up! Rumors have been confirmed, Prem tech hiring will soon be frozen , from what i understand contractors called "connect-tech" are already beginning to do piece jobs for x amount of money, hate to say it, but the way things are going looks like Prem techs soon after 1 year of the maximum 3yrs will probably be let go...anyways just some food for thought for all you prem tech hopefulls out there.
In Florida the Uverse techs are the conectechs. We are hired permantly and conectech is our job security. Anyone?
br8king

Tulsa, OK

#922 Sep 18, 2008
Lotkey wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Jethro, did you even graduate the sixth grade? If you got hired at AT&T, did your little brother or sister go with you to fill out your application? Because if you filled it out the application, the people reading the applications would've laughed their asses off at what an idiot you really are. Before you respond me, please pick up a dictionary or have you're third grade teacher look it over first. If you have any errors next time you respond, I won't waste my time responding to a jackass like you.
Hello,

I really don't know you all, but I was just reading some of the posted comments. It's funny to me how you made fun of someone and called them an idiot because of some grammatical errors. Let's view your post - shall we?

First of all in your first question you missed a word [from]. Your second error was [because] it shouldn't have been used as the first word of a sentence unless you used a semi-colon [;]. Next, a few words after that you mistakenly used either [it or the] in the sentence, both of them being used made no sense.
Now comes my favorite part! You said to Jethro,

"Before you respond me, please pick up a dictionary or have you're third grade teacher look it over first."

This is how you should have written it: "Before you respond [to] me, please pick up a dictionary or have [you're - should be [your],[you're] means you are] third grade teacher look it over first.

I'm guessing you need to call your third grade teacher and apologize for wasting his/her time. I don't normally do things like this, but I hate self righteous people that put others down, when in fact they are the ones that are idiots. Oh and thanks for the advice...I proof read this one!

Respectfully yours,
br8king
Help Needed

Eddyville, KY

#923 Sep 18, 2008
tmtf sample questions? Was wondering if anyone could give me any types of sample questions this test involves? Thanks.
ATT Newb

Dublin, CA

#924 Sep 19, 2008
ATTic Tech wrote:
<quoted text>
In Florida the Uverse techs are the conectechs. We are hired permantly and conectech is our job security. Anyone?
Several of our guys have been through connecttech training as well, not sure about "outside contractors".
F- 2 Conditioner

Salem, MI

#926 Sep 19, 2008
Tech2Hire wrote:
<quoted text>Ok Mr. F-2 conditioner guy, I was not hired as a temp hire. I was hired as a regular ATT employee. Sure they can shit can me at any time however I know of no other job right now that needs people to do this technical of a job. Which (the job) I can take and actually be more qualified on my next job. All jobs in the U.S. today are temp. I mean seriously look at AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac. Our economy is in the shitter. What is the problem with "good", "hard working" people taking this job and hoping that they make it a career. You can get canned from damn near any job today if you are not making the right decisions. What is so bad about taking a job from a company that is world renowned and is ready to take us dumbasses into their brotherhood and allow us to move up. All i can say is that to me it is a great start to a great career even if they do happen to shit can us all.
u- verse teks ae a seperate entity of the company they are not I/R or construction....i am now being forced to take a u verse job and my pay is going from 30 a hour to like 13... and when they tell me to start toning out pairs and doing I/R work i will be calling the union

Since: Aug 08

AOL

#927 Sep 19, 2008
"help needed" the test mostly consisted of diagrams and a few basic technical questions. It really wasnt difficult, so there is no need to study
Fred

Lubbock, TX

#928 Sep 19, 2008
I am a prem tech for AT&T and I am a steward for my garage. I know that what AT&T is doing in regards to pay for prem techs is complete crap. But everyone that applies for that position, at least in my area, was warned before hand as to the work conditions and the pay scale. Most of the guys in my barn are just hanging on until the contract negotiations in April of 09. Hopefully the CWA will fulfill its obligation to correct the contract that they allowed to get permanent positions for prem techs. The fact that AT&T hired full time permanent positions for field employees is monumental. There are so many I/R temp techs that will be forced to choose between their union or crossing the line to keep their jobs in April of 09.

I think its so hypocritical of AT&T because their own company policy is to treat their employees equally. This does not happen at AT&T. In the area that I am in the upper management seems more intent on firing people than putting in the time and effort to train employees and allow them time to learn their jobs. AT&T has spent BILLIONS for their new U-verse service and they call Prem techs "the future of AT&T." We'll see in April just how much AT&T thinks of their "future employees."

I really hope that the CWA stands with the Prem techs at the contract negotiations because most prem techs are just hanging on until April of 09. If things do not change for us I know AT&T will be really hurting because people will be quitting left and right.
pacman

Alamo, CA

#929 Sep 19, 2008
Fred wrote:
I am a prem tech for AT&T and I am a steward for my garage. I know that what AT&T is doing in regards to pay for prem techs is complete crap. But everyone that applies for that position, at least in my area, was warned before hand as to the work conditions and the pay scale. Most of the guys in my barn are just hanging on until the contract negotiations in April of 09. Hopefully the CWA will fulfill its obligation to correct the contract that they allowed to get permanent positions for prem techs. The fact that AT&T hired full time permanent positions for field employees is monumental. There are so many I/R temp techs that will be forced to choose between their union or crossing the line to keep their jobs in April of 09.
I think its so hypocritical of AT&T because their own company policy is to treat their employees equally. This does not happen at AT&T. In the area that I am in the upper management seems more intent on firing people than putting in the time and effort to train employees and allow them time to learn their jobs. AT&T has spent BILLIONS for their new U-verse service and they call Prem techs "the future of AT&T." We'll see in April just how much AT&T thinks of their "future employees."
I really hope that the CWA stands with the Prem techs at the contract negotiations because most prem techs are just hanging on until April of 09. If things do not change for us I know AT&T will be really hurting because people will be quitting left and right.
First off, I'm wondering how you think the contract of April '09 is going to affect you. You say that you're a prem tech, therefore I assume you are a term employee right? Well if so, then the contract is not up for you, it's up for regular permanent employees like myself. From what I understand Prem techs are not aloud to strike, according to your contract, I don't know how true this may be, but what I will tell you is that AT&T is reducing head count at an unbelievable rate, I guess this stinking economy has alot to do with that. Term construction splicers are getting work completed left & right, I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what happens next, it's called to domino effect. I believe that the whole U-VERSE thing will not be shut down completly, but they will be building it more cost effectively & cautiously, sord of playing it by ear, assuming the economy somewhere in the next 6 months or so gets a little better, I hope the CWA does do what their suppose to do & take better care of you guys, What they should've done in the 1st place is negotiated a decent contract. Now they're going to try to ask for more, that's not the right aproach. Negotiate High! It's easier to give up a little, than to ask for alot...
Active-duty Marine

United States

#930 Sep 19, 2008
In the Southeast, the Premise Technician position is NOT a unionized position, nor is it a contract, temporary, or 'term' position. The Premise Technician position in the SE is a regular permanent full-time position with decent wage and benefits.
rooster

Watonga, OK

#931 Sep 19, 2008
Being near blind on this ATT issue, i can assume that once the PREMISE techs bust out the work a lot of people will not be needed. You wont need as many people to maintain the service. That's where the 20+ an hour folks come in! Right? WHat other "training" are premise techs getting? Are they getting OTDR or Fusion Splicing certs? How about DMS or MSL switch/PBX training? Looks like ATT is recruiting, training and discarding a "certain" person for these jobs...yes...I passed the tests and am waiting for my "class" to start sometime in Nov of this year...for a job that pays 11-13 an hour...lastly...when was the last time anyone saw 45 hires for ATT? I worked at walmart in the late 80's and we did not have 45 hires in 2 years I was there. So how can ATT "need" so many so fast? Its not right!(i was in the IBEW so I Kinda know how Unions work too) Its not making any sense....
socal tech

San Diego, CA

#932 Sep 20, 2008
rooster wrote:
I might as well chime in too...Took the Premise tests for AT&T...mechanical/computer and aced them...they interviewed me on the spot. She "wished" she could pay me more...hahah! Looks like all I am worth after 20 years in the comm business is 11-13 an hour....by the way Home Depot averages 11ish an hour according to Salary.com . The guy that drags out my 10 bags of cement makes more than the guy who installed my DSL line....Does anyone besides me see something wrong with that?
if you had alot of time between jobs you won't get jack for pay. 6 months to a year. they want people that have a good work background. doesn't matter what you did.
socal tech

San Diego, CA

#933 Sep 20, 2008
Tweeder former FTTN wrote:
In illinois alone they hired like 1000 FTTN conditioners dating back to beginning of 2007, My NCS date is almost at years now. I have watched them "let go" of 200 terms last week, another 200 will be on Sept. 29, and even more by 2nd week of October and More up through March supposedly. It's coming down the tubes fast towards me and my boys. Illinois had the top senior 100 term techs preference for either I&R/I&M and a new division called First Mile, which is the old IMO rehab crew. They fed us all that same dreams and asperations mumbo jumbo if your numbers are high, you can go somewhere, bullshit. I never fell for that one bit. This company doesnt care about you in these term positions.
If they can get 90% of their build done by techs that they dont have to make perminant, why would they care? Its more cost efficient to their wallets in texas. As for techs moving around, those in Illinois that went to First Mile Rehab crew supposedly got a 2yr term extension, which really dont mean shit. They can say "Term Complete" anytime they want according to the wording of the paperwork for TERMS. Im watching more and more hard working, once greatfull, terms get let go and nobody is safe except maybe those in I&R now. But all construction terms are worried.
Furthermore my boy that got hired as a prem tech is an official full time employee but yeah, they treat him like dogshit too. The reason why they are making so much less is because U-verse techs are not certified to climb poles and ladders. They can easily train these techs but they need an excuse to pay them garbage wages. Yes AT&T is a great company with great benifits, but it seems like they dont want us around long enough to enjoy it. But it does look good on the resume that you worked for a Fortune 100 company, so get as much as we can, right? F- that we want perminant jobs here. Im a very pro union worker and out of the terms from my now Ex-garage (due to my preference), they refer to me as their steward. Because our stewards never gave two shits. They never helped the terms one bit, never even told us about the upcoming preferences or layoffs, sorry term completes, if it wasnt for my investigating we wouldnt have heard shit at all. Sorry I know Im just ranting here but its so frustrating looking out for myself and others when we are so ill informed and misrepresented by our own union it makes me sick. I just wish I really knew what this company has planned for us or if there is hope for the senior few techs at least, because I get call all through the night from techs, worried about looking for another job in these crappy economic times and feeding their families. Theres nothing out there half as good as what we got right now and we are all currently spoiled. I wish I could tell my guys that theres hope for us, but that light is fading fast and soon the curtain will drop and we'll actually see what happens. All I /we can do is wait and see though I guess. I pray for me and my guys every night we don't fall victim to the same, and that our NCS dates will save us possibly, but all I can do for now is keep feeding their own false hopes and my own and tell them "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."
Sorry I dont know if this even helps anyone else on here at all, but myself. But I really needed to get that out to the world. Goodluck brothers!
--Eskimo Boy---BG Splice Lords
was wondering how busy it's been in illinois & if plans of replacements are in order?
I'm at the bottom of seniority in my yard & coming up on a year.
Girl on a pole

United States

#934 Sep 20, 2008
Tech2Hire wrote:
<quoted text>Ok Mr. F-2 conditioner guy, I was not hired as a temp hire. I was hired as a regular ATT employee. Sure they can shit can me at any time however I know of no other job right now that needs people to do this technical of a job. Which (the job) I can take and actually be more qualified on my next job. All jobs in the U.S. today are temp. I mean seriously look at AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac. Our economy is in the shitter. What is the problem with "good", "hard working" people taking this job and hoping that they make it a career. You can get canned from damn near any job today if you are not making the right decisions. What is so bad about taking a job from a company that is world renowned and is ready to take us dumbasses into their brotherhood and allow us to move up. All i can say is that to me it is a great start to a great career even if they do happen to shit can us all.
Tech2Hire
I agree. I have 30 years and we all have to get a foot in the door at some time. My husband was a Term Splicer for 10 months also and got laid off. He just got hired back for prem tech. We are hopping he gets made permanent and they get a kick up on pay at this 09 contract. Even though it is not the same great company ( Pac-Bell) It's really SBC with the new name AT&T. Kind of like a pig with lipstick. It's still a great place to work with great benefits and pay. You guys just getting started hang in there. Worst case scenario is you are getting great training for some other Telco if they let you go. Best case: You go permanent and get a raise. With this much unemployment in the U.S. be glad to get the job.
Girl on a pole

United States

#935 Sep 20, 2008
pacman wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, I'm wondering how you think the contract of April '09 is going to affect you. You say that you're a prem tech, therefore I assume you are a term employee right? Well if so, then the contract is not up for you, it's up for regular permanent employees like myself. From what I understand Prem techs are not aloud to strike, according to your contract, I don't know how true this may be, but what I will tell you is that AT&T is reducing head count at an unbelievable rate, I guess this stinking economy has alot to do with that. Term construction splicers are getting work completed left & right, I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what happens next, it's called to domino effect. I believe that the whole U-VERSE thing will not be shut down completly, but they will be building it more cost effectively & cautiously, sord of playing it by ear, assuming the economy somewhere in the next 6 months or so gets a little better, I hope the CWA does do what their suppose to do & take better care of you guys, What they should've done in the 1st place is negotiated a decent contract. Now they're going to try to ask for more, that's not the right aproach. Negotiate High! It's easier to give up a little, than to ask for alot...
Pacman
Our contract is their contract too.
They are union members too and will not cross the picket line. The company can't make them or threaten them. U-Verse is so hot right now that ATT is not going to want the prem techs to not show up for work for a couple of weeks while we are ALL out on strike. So people embrace your brothers in the company. These Prem techs are our ace in the whole when it comes to bargaining in April.

Hug a prem tech.
and make them feel welcome.
Fred

Lubbock, TX

#936 Sep 20, 2008
pacman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well its going to affect me in that I am a South West, you know Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Kansas and Missouri, Premise Technician. All south west prem techs are full time permanent employee's. Since I am paying my dues and have been for the last three months and for two and a half years as a temporary CST, I expect the CWA to represent me as a member of the union vigorously and as equally as they do you other field craft positions. That and I am on the phone daily with our district CWA vice-president in my capacity as the union steward for my prem techs.

What I am not looking forward to is the fact that AT&T is going to try and lower your craft level pay as well. And when the company gives in to the other field craft positions and keeps their current pay scale but they wont budge on the prem techs or will give very little, then the other field craft employees will say 'well we got to keep our pay so who cares about the prem techs'.
I really hope I am wrong about that. AT&T may think they have the prem techs over a barrel but I actually feel that CWA has the better vantage point to hold the compnay to the fire. AT&T has spent billions in getting U-Verse developed and functional in the field I really doubt they want to try and spend two weeks to a month trying not having the product installed in the market. If they do then I hope the managers like doing attic work. I wonder how long it will take them to do a four stb install?
F- 2 Conditioner

Salem, MI

#937 Sep 21, 2008
prem tecks how much is youre bring home pay on average for 2 weeks??
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

#938 Sep 21, 2008
Good Evening:

Well, I just finished the 2nd week of Prem Tech Training.

I passed, so, for the moment, I am still an AT&T employee.

I have another 3 or 4 weeks of training left.

Good jobs are hard to come by these days, and I am taking this one week at a time.

The 2nd week covered two areas "Customer Service", and "Wiring."

The "Customer Service" part lasted 2 days and ended with a simulated conversation with the customer. To pass the simulation, you had to:

* ask all the right questions
* give all the right answers
* follow the correct sequence of the above

The "WIRING" part was much harder. it consisted of 3 days, 2 of which had the following:

* learn to create cat5 cables
* learn to create coax cables
* learn the various scenarios in which we install the above two either separately, or in tandem. This involves creating 3 separate "wiring jobs" on simulated customer homes.

The "WIRING" part ended on the 3rd day with a "FINAL 'PASS/FAIL' GRADED TEST" that consisted of installing a specific job of CAT5 and COAX combined.

Each step of the install is assigned a grade.

Each step is worth 5 points, and you are allowed to "miss" 2 steps, or "10 points".

You must make at least a 90 to pass. Anything less and you fail.

Despite the "5-point per step" rule listed above, they also have small "1-POINT FLAWS" that they hit you with. I passed all the "main steps", but got hit with 3 "point flaws" and ended up with a 97 on the test.

The 3rd week starts tomorrow, and we are assigned to "shadow" an experienced tech on their installs at customer homes.

That is all I know so far.

Have a nice day.
Bob

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#939 Sep 21, 2008
Holysmokes wrote:
Good Evening:
Well, I just finished the 2nd week of Prem Tech Training.
I passed, so, for the moment, I am still an AT&T employee.
I have another 3 or 4 weeks of training left.
Good jobs are hard to come by these days, and I am taking this one week at a time.
The 2nd week covered two areas "Customer Service", and "Wiring."
The "Customer Service" part lasted 2 days and ended with a simulated conversation with the customer. To pass the simulation, you had to:
* ask all the right questions
* give all the right answers
* follow the correct sequence of the above
The "WIRING" part was much harder. it consisted of 3 days, 2 of which had the following:
* learn to create cat5 cables
* learn to create coax cables
* learn the various scenarios in which we install the above two either separately, or in tandem. This involves creating 3 separate "wiring jobs" on simulated customer homes.
The "WIRING" part ended on the 3rd day with a "FINAL 'PASS/FAIL' GRADED TEST" that consisted of installing a specific job of CAT5 and COAX combined.
Each step of the install is assigned a grade.
Each step is worth 5 points, and you are allowed to "miss" 2 steps, or "10 points".
You must make at least a 90 to pass. Anything less and you fail.
Despite the "5-point per step" rule listed above, they also have small "1-POINT FLAWS" that they hit you with. I passed all the "main steps", but got hit with 3 "point flaws" and ended up with a 97 on the test.
The 3rd week starts tomorrow, and we are assigned to "shadow" an experienced tech on their installs at customer homes.
That is all I know so far.
Have a nice day.
What were the flaws they hit you with ?
Holysmokes

Jacksonville, FL

#940 Sep 22, 2008
* not enough slack from gateway back to splitter (slack-is-your-friend)
* insufficient dip on one side of the splitter
* slightly exposed copper on 1 of the 4 poles of the splitter in the NID

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Continue reading Fired from Sonic, employee fli... 34 min mylifematters 1
PayPal is freezing accounts 1 hr Hope So 2
News Donald Trump's birther nonsense 1 hr Anonymous1 27
Windshield needs replacement 18 hr nicky 2
gasmonkey garage-rude (Dec '13) Thu swag 12
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Sep 28 missblankie 3
Donald STUPID Trump making himself look really ... Sep 27 Quacker 2

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance