Charlie WPB

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#796 Aug 22, 2008
Glenn wrote:
The doctor checks your eyes, ears and throat, listens to your heart and lungs, he also checks your balance and abilty to bend.
They also check your blood pressure, vision, height and weight, along with the drug test.
I then went to another room and had a physical assessment. There I had to be able to do at least 14 situps in one minute. I was on my back and had to lift my feet up 10 inches and hold them there for 15 seconds. I had to lay on my belly, put my hands behind my head and had to lift up 15 times. Lastly, I had to pick up a box that weighed 80 pounds and hold it at my waist.
After the situps, the guy looks at me and said "wow, guess you do this alot" , I just smiled and thought "kill me now...I'm so out of shape"
Charlie WPB

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#797 Aug 22, 2008
does anyone know how the process goes to get those nifty att shirts and hard hat? the interviewer was kinda vague.
franks friend jeff

Coral Gables, FL

#798 Aug 22, 2008
who was your interviewer charlie? mrs smith?
franks friend jeff

Coral Gables, FL

#799 Aug 22, 2008
nevermind I was too lazy to scroll up lol
franks friend jeff

Coral Gables, FL

#800 Aug 22, 2008
how was your interview charlie? probably better than mine as Im new to this industry and havent had an interview for some time.

she spews alot of info doesnt she?

whats this talk about sit ups and what not. is that phase 2 or 3? or in the training part.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#801 Aug 22, 2008
Been a tech with Bellsouth..9years..making 23.77hr as of aug 3 08..
Bob

Boca Raton, FL

#802 Aug 23, 2008
southcarolinatech wrote:
Been a tech with Bellsouth..9years..making 23.77hr as of aug 3 08..
Wow seems like that shut everyone up.
Frank

Cary, NC

#803 Aug 24, 2008
I have worked for at&t for 7 years now, a legacy Bellsouth hire. I came in with the expectation of bidding on a st or opt job after fulfilling my obligation to the position I was hired for(1 yr). at&t would like nothing more than to replace those job titles(and salaries)with the newly created,lower paying premises tech positions. It has already happened in the 9-state region of at&t southeast. st,opt,& ft jobs are being filled with temporary hires instead of with qualified in-house people wanting to move up. Welcome to the new at&t. Times are tough. If you get a chance at a job with benefits,do what you have to do, but don't believe for a second that at&t is concerned with anything but their profit margin.
IL PREM Guy

Girard, OH

#804 Aug 24, 2008
If any prem tech puts their own gas money in a truck that is their loss. BTW JfF How long have you been doing U-Verse installs??????

Yeah 0 days...... yep you are an authority on this position arent you.

Please define these terms for me smart guy:

JDSU
I.F.D
VRAD
DSLAM
SAI
LOOP LENGTH
JEP
GCAS
WHAT IS A DIPLEXER?
NID
RG
CPE
P2R
Pleasetell me the procedure the prem tech should do when an unconditioned pair contains a bridge tap according to the QCC test on the LSBBT.

PS the sit ups are part of the physical you take after you have been accepted for the PT position.

Since: Mar 08

Jackson, MI

#805 Aug 24, 2008
just finished my first ride along week. pretty cool job so far. not hard at all. just long days, and thats about it. now its back to sitting in a boring ass classroom for 8 hours :(.
Bob

Boca Raton, FL

#806 Aug 24, 2008
helmet wrote:
just finished my first ride along week. pretty cool job so far. not hard at all. just long days, and thats about it. now its back to sitting in a boring ass classroom for 8 hours :(.
Hopefully that "boring ass classroom" you talk about is teaching you what you need to know when you are out in the field. As for not being hard at all, good for you because thats not what I read everywhere else for the most part, or is it all smoke & mirrors ?.
SF Prem Tech

San Leandro, CA

#807 Aug 24, 2008
I just finished my training and am on my route. It is an intense pace, only because of the overload, but the work is extremely easy.

We have had 4 workers drop and they are weeding-out the lazy and the non-techs. If you do not have networking/PC and Cable/electronics background than this may not be for you. It's funny. AT&T says that anyone can do this job, but 70% of our class was lost due to not knowing electronics theory, wiring, TCP/IP, Subnetting, and cabling/crimping. The same 70% are being fired, 1 by 1, because they cannot troubleshoot basic computer problems and electronics issues.

We had 1 tech that could not get the cable box to work, because the remote was not responding. I went on the call, and the box was sitting on a stereo amplifier. Amplifiers have a transformer in them. Transformers have magnets! Magnets emit Electromagnetic waves! Electromagnetic waves block electromagnetic signals...oh say..from?...remotes?

AT&T is doing this on purpose. They hire to fire, and they hire to keep!

If you do know electronics/PCs, It's going to be hard, but hang in there! Take some basic DC/AC and analog electronics classes. the PC stuff just takes time. HANG IN THERE :)
ckpg

Sturgis, MI

#808 Aug 24, 2008
helmet wrote:
just finished my first ride along week. pretty cool job so far. not hard at all. just long days, and thats about it. now its back to sitting in a boring ass classroom for 8 hours :(.
Just pay attention to all that boring stuff, especially the stuff that is preceded by "You'll never actually see this in the field, but I'll tell you anyway..." You WILL see it and you'll kick yourself for yawning through the explanation.
Frank

Cary, NC

#809 Aug 24, 2008
by the way, union representation is the only reason premises tech jobs are not minimum wage. chew on that.
SF Premises Tech

Antioch, CA

#810 Aug 24, 2008
southcarolinatech wrote:
<quoted text>Here in the south east(carolina) like i said before ..there is no title as prem tech...so all the new techs hired are term or temp..and all..I mean all...are let go from 6mths to a year...contract here states that a term employee or part timer is grandfathered in full time after a year..so when the first term employee gets close to a year..they fired the whole lot and begin again. here there IS pole climbing school because your a term TECh...not premise..
Out here in California, the DSL techs are about to change our title. they want to handle U-verse, along with along with their other skills. The Union contract is up around January 09. This, according to the contract, will change our(U-Verse) title to DSL Tech and we will get a raise up to the level of DSL Tech. This is why I signed on with AT&T.

I hope that it is not a firing!

Thanks for the info.
Bob

Boca Raton, FL

#811 Aug 24, 2008
SF Prem Tech wrote:
I just finished my training and am on my route. It is an intense pace, only because of the overload, but the work is extremely easy.
We have had 4 workers drop and they are weeding-out the lazy and the non-techs. If you do not have networking/PC and Cable/electronics background than this may not be for you. It's funny. AT&T says that anyone can do this job, but 70% of our class was lost due to not knowing electronics theory, wiring, TCP/IP, Subnetting, and cabling/crimping. The same 70% are being fired, 1 by 1, because they cannot troubleshoot basic computer problems and electronics issues.
We had 1 tech that could not get the cable box to work, because the remote was not responding. I went on the call, and the box was sitting on a stereo amplifier. Amplifiers have a transformer in them. Transformers have magnets! Magnets emit Electromagnetic waves! Electromagnetic waves block electromagnetic signals...oh say..from?...remotes?
AT&T is doing this on purpose. They hire to fire, and they hire to keep!
If you do know electronics/PCs, It's going to be hard, but hang in there! Take some basic DC/AC and analog electronics classes. the PC stuff just takes time. HANG IN THERE :)
You say AT&T are firing techs 1 by 1 for not knowing PC troubleshooting and all that but exactly how much training are they getting in that area ?. Or are they supposed to know it already because if they are the basic pc test should have included these things. Just my opinion and probably would have saved everyone alot of time.
ATT Newb

Dublin, CA

#812 Aug 24, 2008
IL PREM Guy wrote:
Please define these terms for me smart guy:

WHAT IS A DIPLEXER?
A coax piece of crap that every prem tech should be avoiding, CAT5 all the way!
IL PREM Guy

Girard, OH

#813 Aug 25, 2008
unless your customer is next to a high frequency object such as a satellite transmitter, or power lines.

some Cat5 had to be replaced due to the lack of shielding causing interferience (sp) with the STBs

but aside from that CAT5 is the best
Charlie WPB

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#814 Aug 25, 2008
franks friend jeff wrote:
how was your interview charlie? probably better than mine as Im new to this industry and havent had an interview for some time.
she spews alot of info doesnt she?
whats this talk about sit ups and what not. is that phase 2 or 3? or in the training part.
I actually enjoyed the interview, she was very professional and actually knew what she was talking about. I am freakin out a bit cuz they told me I can start sept 2 and I did all the drug test and physical last week but still havent heard anything.I guess they like to cut it close.

Oh and the sit ups was part of the physical.

and as far as electricity, I may not know ALL there is to know about dc, ac, all that stuff, but five me a few capacitors,a bread board and 2 feet of wire and I will make you a directv box....

just my $0.02
Tech 06 Ty

San Ramon, CA

#815 Aug 25, 2008
ATT Newb wrote:
Nevermind that last question, I just saw you already took the tests. How long ago did you take the tests?
Ya, July 8th was my test in Oakland. and then a week later they asked me to come back for the customer service interview and then told me to wait. so its been a month. still nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lies About Police Create a Hostile Climate 2 hr Culture Auditor 1
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 3 hr Thelma Louise 1,099
Man charged with grisly Balch Springs deemed in... 3 hr radiantlight 1
Now departing: AirTran Airways flies off into t... 4 hr 97 Pound Model 1
Have the belt and the paddle gotten a bad rap? 20 hr Amy 22
Police: Massage Therapist Charged With Sexual A... Fri Ayl3431 1
Massage therapist accused of sexually assaultin... Fri Ayl3431 1

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dallas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dallas

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:39 am PST

NBC Sports11:39AM
Texans keep getting hurt, keep hanging around
NBC Sports11:44 AM
Texans' Foster injured against Jaguars - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report11:50 AM
Foster Leaves with Hamstring Injury
NBC Sports12:13 PM
NRG Stadium not displaying out-of-town scores
Bleacher Report12:24 PM
Gerhart (Ankle) Won't Return vs. Texans