AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Hii

Whitney, TX

#61 Jan 19, 2008
Hi
DJF Chicago

Dolton, IL

#62 Jan 20, 2008
I took the exam on Jan 15th. I only had to take the basic computer exam because of my experience. The lady took the exams and graded the exams and told us that we all passed. Once she said we all passed she said we had on the spot interviews..that was our customer service exam. I ace the interview. The lady at Human Resources said I will be getting a call from a AT&T recruiter to come in for my drug test and where to start my training. Do any one know how long I have to wait to get a response..and also is the pay weekly or bi-weekly
CJB

Lewisville, TX

#63 Jan 21, 2008
Cingular was bi-weekly. I haven't got anything yet...
DJF Chicago

Chicago, IL

#64 Jan 22, 2008
I had the interview and the lady at human resources said I qualify for the position and will be called back to come and take the drug test..does anyone know how long it took them to get a call back for taking the drug test
John Smith

Lombard, IL

#65 Jan 22, 2008
After my exams and interview they called exactly one month later with a horrible offer and very low pay.

Since: Jan 08

Dolton, IL

#66 Jan 22, 2008
thanks for the info John. have u already started..did u take the position
RAM

Markham, IL

#67 Jan 23, 2008
Bruce Campbell wrote:
I just got hired for this position. I start at $13.08 an hour and the top pay for this position as of now is $16.75 an hour. I'm assuming that by the time I get to top pay it will be higher than that. I did get hired at the 3 year pay scale because of my schooling, so it will take 2 years, instead of 5 to get to top pay. I will be the first to admit that the pay is not on par with the other jobs at AT&T but hopefully, now that I have a foot in the door, I will be able to bid into a higher paying position after a few years.
By the way, I live in the St.louis area.
Bruce, can you tell me after being on the job and thru the training if you made the right decision on taking the job? I was also wondering if you can tell me what kind of
experience you had going in to get the 13.08 and is the over time at 1 1/2times reg. hourly rate? I received a job offer for next to nothing and need to decide quickly. Thanks
bruce campbell

Saint Louis, MO

#68 Jan 23, 2008
RAM wrote:
<quoted text>Bruce, can you tell me after being on the job and thru the training if you made the right decision on taking the job? I was also wondering if you can tell me what kind of
experience you had going in to get the 13.08 and is the over time at 1 1/2times reg. hourly rate? I received a job offer for next to nothing and need to decide quickly. Thanks
I didn't have any experience but they did give me credit for some schooling that I had. I think one of the main things that will determine your rate of pay is how hard a time they are having finding people to work for these pathetic wages. Also, they probably knew that I wouldn't work for less because I was already making more.

As far as making the right decision, right now I am regretting the move. I took a pay cut to come here because I had heard how great it was to work at AT&T. Now that I am here, I realize that they don't give a damn about you.

Yes the overtime is time and a half for anything over 40 hours. That is only because it is a law. I'm sure that if they could get by paying you less, they would. Funny thing is everybody else gets time and a half over 40 and double time for anything over 49 hours. When you consider the amount of overtime that the prem tech works, we are really getting screwed.
John Smith

Lombard, IL

#69 Jan 23, 2008
DJF Chicago wrote:
thanks for the info John. have u already started..did u take the position
After a lot of thinking and hearing a lot of negative things about this position. I have decided not to accept the offer even after the drug test/physical. Yes, I'm sure AT&T is a great company to work for, just not this positon. I just can't picture working my ass off and not having a life for less than $11.50/hour. I'm currently making more than that. Good luck to everyone that takes takes position!
Matthew

Dayton, OH

#70 Jan 23, 2008
What other entry level positions are available and what type of pay. I'm very interested in working with at&t the only experienc i have is in car sales and carpet installation
RAM

Markham, IL

#71 Jan 23, 2008
John Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
After a lot of thinking and hearing a lot of negative things about this position. I have decided not to accept the offer even after the drug test/physical. Yes, I'm sure AT&T is a great company to work for, just not this positon. I just can't picture working my ass off and not having a life for less than $11.50/hour. I'm currently making more than that. Good luck to everyone that takes takes position!
I'm thinking you made a wise decision, so you want to tell me where your working and if they are looking for help?
Union Member

Cleveland, OH

#72 Jan 23, 2008
Wow, lots going on here. In the AT&T Midwest Region, the Prem Techs are Union and most are represented by CWA (Communications Workers of America). The benefits package is not the same (worse) than the "core" contract, and the work details (mandatory ot, sick time, vacation time, etc) are not as nice at this point either. But, there is light at the end of the tunnel! As one poster mentioned, many current AT&T techs will be looking hard at retirement, and soon. Right now the GATT rate is as good as it has been in years and also (it is rumored), one of the AT&T's goals in the 2009 contract is to eliminate the lump sum pension payout. This will cause many to go on December 31st. What does this have to do with you? Well, open positions for one, less resistance for upward movement as well. Not too long ago, Ameritech (now AT&T Midwest) started a cable company called New Media. They worked for the phone company but under an 'appendix' to the core contract, the same situation at the Prem Techs now. All of us the stuck out the lower pay and reduced benefits are now integrated into the core company with the same pay and benefits. As for work load, yep, they demand as much, you just haven't learned to play it out yet. Always remember, safety first! If your lifestyle allows for the hours and pay, take the job and ride it out. Noone will tell you that you can't quit! Best of luck to you all in whatever you decide... Hope to see you at a Union meeting soon. By the way, someone posted that the 'rest' of the Union membership makes $30 per hour or more... I would like to point out that CWA represents many employees besides those working at AT&T. As a matter of fact, AT&T employed members make up less than half of the total membership. I was involved in negotiating a contract for a social services group that barely make minimum wage! Think it through!
DJS

Hammond, IN

#73 Jan 24, 2008
Are the benefits paid for or do we have to pay a monthly premium?
DEE3570

Cartersville, GA

#74 Jan 24, 2008
IM TRYING TO GET ON WITH ATT AND I SUBMITTED MY RESUME AND INFO. WHY HAVEN'T I RECEIVED A CALL. I RECVD. EMAIL STATING THEY GOT MY INFO AND SOMEONE WILL CONTACT ME. 2ND- IS THERE ANYTHING TO STUDY FOR THE TEST THAT IS ISSUED. I'M HERE IN ATLANTA GA.
Tech

Bloomingdale, IL

#75 Jan 24, 2008
DJS wrote:
Are the benefits paid for or do we have to pay a monthly premium?
They pay vitually 100% of your and eligible dependant coverage.
Medical, Dental. Not very many companies doing that.
For me that comes to about of $300 per week of costs that I am paying now.(I'm self employed.)

The benefit package is very good! Can anyone beat that?

The bad news is that the Prem Tech doesn't get pension benefit until you go into another position. Any time in prem Tech doesn't count towards pension. The good news (besides a lot of people leaving) is that the union contract is up next year. sounds like they want to merge the Prem Techs and the Installation and REpair guys together. The difference? Top pay for prem tech is $20 per hour,$30 for the Installation guys.
Plus Pension....
It's a gamble, but, it could be worth the weight. Besides, the union should be in a good spot with all of the new Uverse stuff going on.
Tech

Bloomingdale, IL

#76 Jan 24, 2008
DEE3570 wrote:
IM TRYING TO GET ON WITH ATT AND I SUBMITTED MY RESUME AND INFO. WHY HAVEN'T I RECEIVED A CALL. I RECVD. EMAIL STATING THEY GOT MY INFO AND SOMEONE WILL CONTACT ME. 2ND- IS THERE ANYTHING TO STUDY FOR THE TEST THAT IS ISSUED. I'M HERE IN ATLANTA GA.
They are hiring at least 800 in the chicago area. Be patient. They need the workers. I heard a rumor of a study guide, but, if you have good common sense and a mechanical mind you should do alright.
Tech

Bloomingdale, IL

#77 Jan 24, 2008
FYI-

Prem Techs in Chicago are IBEW.
Gman

Clarendon Hills, IL

#78 Jan 26, 2008
Does anyone know what type of drug test do they do? Hair, Urine or blood?
DJS

Hammond, IN

#79 Jan 27, 2008
Gman wrote:
Does anyone know what type of drug test do they do? Hair, Urine or blood?
Urine
Billy Willy

United States

#80 Jan 28, 2008
I do drugs right before each customers house. I think they make me work better. I live IBEW, they encourage me to take drugs to enhance my AT&T career! ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
funland Swimming Pool (Nov '11) 1 hr KimPalmer 14
OneBody in Yahawashi, Dallas TX: Obnoxious Hate... 15 hr Oprah W Zone 7
Jerry Jones F'ed Up Tue Dwaine Caraway 10
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) Mon Princess Hey 1,564
Really People Oct 15 Mike Nudzak 11
John Wile E Coyote Price Oct 13 John Wile E Coyot... 1
FBI at Park in Garland by Springcreek Elementary Oct 12 Guest 2

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance