AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
ohio prem tech

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#6736 Apr 20, 2013
I just got hired Jan 18, 2013 at $16.66/hr. That's top pay for new guys. In Ohio we have the CWA union, and our contract allows us to get a raise every 6 months. With a week vacation every 6 months. The biggest drawback for me and my family is not having ANY benefits until after 6 months. But its a job and with 2-3 hours of OT a day, I'm making about $950 a week. And that's just with my base salary.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6737 Apr 20, 2013
Cable Cowboy wrote:

"I would be starting doing outside and inside as an installer. However, there exists a *route* to go into I/M, line crew, construction, etc. whatever you want to call it. The only way you're gettin there in AT&T is by quitting, and re-applying for a Term OSP/Splicer position."

CC or Milwaukee, how does this fly with management on rehiring? I applied for Bell South in the "good ole days" of 2006 and the interviewer more or less stated once you're hired in a certain area for a certain position you're pretty much there for a few years before you can transfer to another city or apply for another position.
Another No-no....not paying your Bell South bill ontime if you were a customer. If your payment history was poor you aren't considered for employment and can be terminated if you are a late payer once employed.

Since ATT seems to be more micromanaged than Bell South, have people quit successfully and rehired to move up in the ranks?
What happens if I wanted to change cities....would taking a leave of absence to take care of a sick family member in that city be an excusable reason to quit?
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6738 Apr 20, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
Cable Cowboy wrote:
"I would be starting doing outside and inside as an installer. However, there exists a *route* to go into I/M, line crew, construction, etc. whatever you want to call it. The only way you're gettin there in AT&T is by quitting, and re-applying for a Term OSP/Splicer position."
CC or Milwaukee, how does this fly with management on rehiring? I applied for Bell South in the "good ole days" of 2006 and the interviewer more or less stated once you're hired in a certain area for a certain position you're pretty much there for a few years before you can transfer to another city or apply for another position.
Another No-no....not paying your Bell South bill ontime if you were a customer. If your payment history was poor you aren't considered for employment and can be terminated if you are a late payer once employed.
Since ATT seems to be more micromanaged than Bell South, have people quit successfully and rehired to move up in the ranks?
What happens if I wanted to change cities....would taking a leave of absence to take care of a sick family member in that city be an excusable reason to quit?
I was being a little sarcastic with that comment of rehiring into that position, but I don't see why it would be a huge deal...you're not quitting to try to get into an MST or I/R permanent position, you're going from a permanent(?) prem tech job to a temporary Term contract employee either in Splicing or OSP to expand the network until they're done with you, which could be anywhere from 1-3 years of employment from what I am hearing. To some like me, those two positions would be more fun than prem tech work, I just have to deal with finding another job after...but the experience looks great on a resume that you did more than just prem tech work. Funny enough too, many, many premtechs that I've been talking to over the last few weeks have come from a background in cable construction...laying new lines for fiber, splicer positions, cable or telephone lineman and contract linemen...I personally would go nuts after doing that work and going to a PT, moreso out here since we can't climb and things like that yet.

Come wednesday, I'll be starting with TWC. I caught a tech in my neighborhood a few days ago and he was nice enough to talk to me for almost 2 hours after he clocked out, about the job and everything, and he sealed the deal for me. My #1 goal is waiting on this power lineman opportunity to present itself...meanwhile, I want the chance to move up ranks and go into Maintenance, whether that takes a little or a long while, like I said, the opportunity is still there, and even moreso in other states that I'd like to transfer to down the line when the time comes.

As for that last comment on the May 1 vote...Union stewards are expecting a yes, but rallying for a no, and bargaining committee is recommending a yes, so who the hell knows. We'll see come May 1.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6739 Apr 20, 2013
"I was being a little sarcastic with that comment of rehiring into that position, but I don't see why it would be a huge deal...you're not quitting to try to get into an MST or I/R permanent position, you're going from a permanent(?) prem tech job to a temporary Term contract employee either in Splicing or OSP to expand the network until they're done with you, which could be anywhere from 1-3 years of employment from what I am hearing. To some like me, those two positions would be more fun than prem tech work"

Agree with the idea that it shouldn't be a huge deal, however if PTs have gotten disenchanted and quit in the hopes of getting rehired in a more fun job Im curious as to the success rate of them being able to pull it off.

Companies want employees to specialize especially if they've invested in training for a specific job.
If those training dollars are lost and re-spent training the same employee to do a different job, and then he moves on and takes that training with him to the next employer, then it explains why the recruiter at Bell South said I was more or less indoctrinated to a position for 3-4 years.

FYI Ive never been a manager and wouldn't take that job regardless of the money so I'm just speculating.

It stands to reason the managers have seen this before with the PT turnover rate and the bean counters have figured out how much it costs the company.

There's probably an (unreasonable) element of distrust between HR and that employee wanting his old job back because they're now wary of how long is he going to last before he quits again?

Not saying it's right, just saying that in today's world, even if you stay for awhile, give your two week notice and do everything diplomatically some HR reps and companies still hold a grudge because the environment is more adversarial....BS I know, but it is what it is. You're almost better off leaving w/ no notice to take care of that sick relative.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6740 Apr 20, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
CC or Milwaukee, how does this fly with management on rehiring? I applied for Bell South in the "good ole days" of 2006 and the interviewer more or less stated once you're hired in a certain area for a certain position you're pretty much there for a few years before you can transfer to another city or apply for another position........
http://district3.cwa-union.org/pages/cwa_d3_a...

Hired as a wire tech/Prem tech need 30 months before being eligible for a transfer to a different title, if opening exists, and remember goes by seniority, anybody in any dept wishing to bid on such positions would probably have higher seniority, my understanding is you can request a transfer to another area (city and/or state) for same title as long as opening exists regardless of time on job (last year a PT in our garage his wife finished her degree and accepted a position in a different part of state, Uverse was available in that area and he was able to transfer with no problems...good worker making his numbers)

For those wishing to go into management the time is waived, job search for PT manager have a four year college degree, go thru PT training, work 30 days as a PT and then be sent to manager school.

I know on two who left in good standing (job performance and attendance) and were able to reapply and rehired after more than six months (min time required, loss of seniority but get it back after five years

Personal leave of absence my understanding from contract is less than 30 days can be approved by local manager (level 2 manager), one month to one year(12 months) must be requested and can only be approved by HR and is not guaranteed they will approve, more than 12 months not available. Personnel questions are best left for HR anything else is speculation.

Would recommend contacting local CWA and ask for the book copy of contract, each garage should have several available but again unsure of privacy issues for non employee, most info is available online.
San Diego Tech

El Cajon, CA

#6741 Apr 21, 2013
Thank you CC
revs

Berkeley, CA

#6742 Apr 22, 2013
Anyone here got an interview for splicing tech in bay area CA? I tested March 14 and have not hear from them
workerman

Tustin, CA

#6743 Apr 22, 2013
revs wrote:
Anyone here got an interview for splicing tech in bay area CA? I tested March 14 and have not hear from them
No, i took my test for outside plant tech march 6 n there were sum splicing techs testing at the same time, but i havent heard anything either i applied for riverside. this is very annoying. I need a new job, and if another one of the jobs i applied to calls me first i'll just go work some where else.
frank

Benicia, CA

#6744 Apr 23, 2013
took the test April 2nd for splicing in Bay Area... Aced the test haven't heard anything.
Revs

Berkeley, CA

#6745 Apr 23, 2013
Well that's still good news then. I just hope they start hiring soon. If any one got a call to for interview, so we'll know. The "awaiting hr review" on the status is like bad news every day.
Dave kansas city

Kansas City, MO

#6746 Apr 24, 2013
Well its 2013 now many things have changed in the last 6 year we do make more money now but we also do more work now top pay is around 22.00 a hour now still not enuff for what we do but still better pay than a lot of the jobs out there now, I belive out union doesn't try hard enuff for us, we are still not on the core contract over all not a bad job even though it seems they try to make you fail but if you do your job nit much they can do.
Anonymous

Mims, FL

#6747 Apr 24, 2013
Thanks Milwaukee. The 30 mo commitment was what the Bell South interviewer pretty much told me, but she didn't go into details about acceptable leaves of absence and rehiring after 6 mos w/ a good track record.

Since it takes 5 years to recoup your seniority, do you start at the bottom to mid payscale when you get rehired or are you rehired in at your old wage?
Anonymous

Mims, FL

#6748 Apr 24, 2013
What are the numbers that you have to achieve as a PT to keep your job?

Number of jobs expected to run in 8 hours?

Number of those expect to be completed?

Approx miles between each customer....this is huge and something my previous employer never took into account, especially when my first and last job were one hour away and I was being compared to the guy who's was fifteen minutes.

Acceptable repeat/recall rate

If you spend extra time with a customer who doesn't "get it" when it comes to learning how their system operates, are you then dinged on productivity even though your customer survey score would be higher due to better service?
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6749 Apr 24, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
What are the numbers that you have to achieve as a PT to keep your job?]
First your numbers do not count against you till you make T3, approximately 8.5 months after hire then you need to finish in bottom 20%(quantile 5) two months in a row to be placed on a plan, would need 6 months NOT in Q5 to get off plan, so theory says at least 1.5 years however you are a probationary employee for 12 months which means if not showing improvement may be dismissed.
[Number of jobs expected to run in 8 hours?]
Installs have different times depending on size (# TVs, voip, internet), repairs currently are 69 minutes regardless of problem or number of issues time includes testing and closing job. Some can be done in 30-45 minutes may get a repair with three different problems have to address all can spend 3-5 hours. Example: install tech does not replace drop cause he only gets 30 additional min added to his job but decides he cannot do it in that time so leaves it cx has connection issues you get the repair ticket and have to replace but get no additional time just your 69 minutes plus have to check his other work and run tests. Look for averages do not concentrate on individual jobs as will affect your disposition.
[Number of those expect to be completed?]
Minimum 85%(17/20) if doing 1 install and 1 repair per day, 22 work days per month would be 66 assigned need to complete 56 (10 returned due to customer not home, customers cancel, return for outside work, etc)
[Approx miles between each customer]
Depends on density and size of area I can travel less than 30 minutes one day and over four hours another covering for a different garage, travel time is added to total time for day not individual job
[Acceptable repeat/recall rate]
When on 10 days repeats were 6% or less, now on 30 days repeats are Max 16% of total jobs for month, from previous example complete 56 jobs Max 9 repeats including bad equipment, cx complaints, anything that if cx calls in to 800 number and tier support dispatch a truck roll you are repeated.
[If you spend extra time with a customer who doesn't "get it" when it comes to learning how their system operates, are you then dinged on productivity even though your customer survey score would be higher due to better service?
Your efficiency is from time of dispatch to time of close job how you spend that time is irrelevant you can hand the cx the remote and walk out increasing your efficiency but low survey score and likely a repeat as cx will have questions and tier support only gets so much time so they will send a tech to educate the cx and your repeated, OR spend all time needed to educate and get high survey , no repeat but poor efficiency those choices are the techs. One tech high eff. 130%, repeats 25%, low surveys but in and out quickly, another 85% eff. Repeat 10%, 100% cx survey or anything in between who do you want to be.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6750 Apr 24, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
What are the numbers that you have to achieve as a PT to keep your job?
Number of jobs expected to run in 8 hours?
Number of those expect to be completed?
Approx miles between each customer....this is huge and something my previous employer never took into account, especially when my first and last job were one hour away and I was being compared to the guy who's was fifteen minutes.
Acceptable repeat/recall rate
If you spend extra time with a customer who doesn't "get it" when it comes to learning how their system operates, are you then dinged on productivity even though your customer survey score would be higher due to better service?
Usually if your quality and customer satisfaction numbers are up with minimal repeats, they will give you grace on job duration if it goes over. As much as they want to push "numbers" on the crew, it all comes down to how satisfied the customer is...if they aren't, they are gone in an instant and on to someone else, and will be near impossible to get that customer back once gone.
Although, that doesn't mean dick around for hours and show the customer every little option of everything...or in my case during a ride along, switch out 10 "defective" cable boxes for 4 hours when you probably should have started troubleshooting the cable and sync after the 2nd one didn't work...
They also have eliminated the option of seeing the Job Completion Time around here...so unless you were already pretty familiar with how much time you had, new guys don't know..you just go out and do the job and hope it was good time.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6751 Apr 25, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
What are the numbers that you have to achieve as a PT to keep your job? e?
GAME TIME or What Do You DO? For all questions Start 8:00, dispatch leave garage 8:30,
1) install 45 miles away, inid, 3 TVs, internet, phone (time allowed say 5.5 hrs not including travel) Arrive SAI, 9:30 run jumpers, tests OK, arrive cx 10:00 farm house with crawl space no existing wiring (been using rabbit years), test for sync at term line 1 bridge tap and line 2 no sync, old drop term to house. Call bridge for helper ticket response time of 2-4 hrs plus work time to fix lines now DO YOU
A) inform cx of issues and return job as is (total time 2 hrs)
B) Replace drop, install inid, install power supply for inid and return job ( total, time 3.5 hrs)
C) replaced drop, inid, power supply and continue with install of new cat5 home run, install cables for tvs and set equipment in place, once sync is good, register boxes, educate cx, run test close job (total 8 hrs)
2) internet only install apartment complex 3 miles from garage (time allowed 1.5 hrs), work order shows cx is moving from old address the SAI assignments are for the old address. DO YOU
A) inform cx the work order is written wrong and return the job to be corrected (total time .5)
B) call bridge for helper ticket, create ticket for InR (2.5 hers before arrival plus time needed to address issue) install RG and wait to finish job (total time 5 hrs)
C) contact via phone or smart chat for new assignments (45 min to hour), run jumpers SAI, install RG, register internet (total time 2.5 hers)
3) repair order (time allowed 69 minutes) 30 min drive time, 7 TVs all with pic, sound quality issues all on coax cables, upon arrival find 3 splitters and all original cable company ends DO YOU
A) inform cx of wiring issues and quote charge for billing to correct issues found (time .5)
B) run necessary cables to place everything on one coax splitter, replace all coax ends and wallplates, run tests now passing (total time 3.5 hrs)
C) take pictures of everything and inform your manager

How much does this job pay again?
High Resistance Open

Greenville, SC

#6752 Apr 25, 2013
FYI, to those applying for a wire tech position. Wire techs do not work in the cable. A LD10 splice terminal is not a drop wire and it is not a serving terminal. If your tone is on the serving terminal binding post and its not making it to the Xbox or coming up on the right pair a helper ticket has to be created for a service tech skilled for cable troubles or a facility tech to correct the problem. A wire techs responsibility is from the sai to the field term and from the serving term to the rg. Everything between the field term to the serving term belongs to I&R no exception. Wire techs are not qualified to resolve issues in the cable and the old college try will only lead to facilities becoming more butchered than some already are. Stick to what you know and what you are good at.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6753 Apr 25, 2013
High Resistance Open wrote:
(snip)
Wire techs are not qualified to resolve issues in the cable and the old college try will only lead to facilities becoming more butchered than some already are. Stick to what you know and what you are good at.
Going above and beyond will only hurt your numbers and if that's the goal to stay employed another reason to stick with what you know as HRO stated

Thanks Milwaukee for the detailed itinerary, waiting to hear back from corporate to start testing.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

#6754 Apr 25, 2013
High Resistance Open wrote:
FYI, to those applying for a wire tech position. Wire techs do not work in the cable. A LD10 splice terminal is not a drop wire and it is not a serving terminal. If your tone is on the serving terminal binding post and its not making it to the Xbox or coming up on the right pair a helper ticket has to be created for a service tech skilled for cable troubles or a facility tech to correct the problem. A wire techs responsibility is from the sai to the field term and from the serving term to the rg.
For those of us who don't know the acronyms, at which point from the distribution point, to pole, to the house is a PT/Wire Techs responsibility?
High Resistance Open

United States

#6755 Apr 25, 2013
Bill in FL wrote:
<quoted text>
For those of us who don't know the acronyms, at which point from the distribution point, to pole, to the house is a PT/Wire Techs responsibility?
. There will be a serving terminal and binding post assigned to every uverse order. The wire tech takes the service from that serving terminal to the customers modem (rg) by whatever means neccesary. At the vrad is a crossbox. The wire tech must wire the vrad port to the assigned field cable pair. In theory if the facilities are correct then the assigned field cable pair should be working on the assigned binding post at the serving terminal. If after wiring it all you still have no sync then a helper ticket is required to resolve the issue. If the serving terminal at the premise does not have a terminal block a helper ticket is required as it becomes cable work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News JP's refusal to perform same-sex marriage draws... 12 hr Brown 1
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 15 hr _Zoey_ 1,388
Hillary Destroying FBI Credibility Fri Corruption in FBI 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Feb 4 Candle farts 847
gang stalking in grand prairie, tx Feb 4 Stalked in Grand ... 1
Marco Rubio - President of the USA - 2016 Feb 4 onionslice 33
Better Nutrition for Cancer Patients Feb 4 Willard Ford 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages