AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...

Since: Mar 08

Flint, MI

#635 Jul 26, 2008
looks like we have to go to pole climbing school. that may or may not be fun. for anyone who has been through the training. do you mind saying what its like? with the whole pass/fail thing, and how hard it is, what to expect, and what you actually do.
Hot_in_FLA

AOL

#636 Jul 26, 2008
Pole climbing? Did you get hired as prem tech?
I don't know in MI but not in FL. Most of cable sistem goes underground... Not breezy... soggy..Ha!
Yea

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#637 Jul 26, 2008
helmet wrote:
looks like we have to go to pole climbing school. that may or may not be fun. for anyone who has been through the training. do you mind saying what its like? with the whole pass/fail thing, and how hard it is, what to expect, and what you actually do.
Hard as Hell
Was the Worst week off my life, But after the week of training you still have to climb at the yard assigned for a while depending how good you are at it. Per boss
ckpg

Coldwater, MI

#638 Jul 27, 2008
Prem techs don't climb poles.
Muffin_Duster

Huntington Beach, CA

#639 Jul 27, 2008
yeah in union bargained area's they don't climb. the South East is still w/o a contract right? Can anyone from the SE region confirm re pole climbing?
ATT Tech

Glendale, AZ

#640 Jul 29, 2008
can anyone give heads up on what to expect at the dallas training for Prem Tech??

Flint, MI

#641 Jul 29, 2008
ckpg wrote:
Prem techs don't climb poles.
well the manager sent me all the documents for the job, and pole climbing is mentioned in it. well atleast theres a file thats a map to the pole climbing school.
Hot_in_FLA wrote:
Pole climbing? Did you get hired as prem tech?
I don't know in MI but not in FL. Most of cable sistem goes underground... Not breezy... soggy..Ha!
our wires arent underground here.

Flint, MI

#642 Jul 29, 2008
climbing a pole isnt what im worried about. im worried about how the training is pass/fail, and the only thing i know that would give me trouble is the pole i think.
Hot_in_FLA

AOL

#643 Jul 29, 2008
Are you a Prem Tech? Or Service Tech?
South FL Guy

Miami, FL

#644 Jul 29, 2008
Hot in FL you heard anything yet? I'm still waiting....

Since: Jul 08

AOL

#645 Jul 29, 2008
Got the call today! Start Aug 4th, 7:30 AM. Kaki docker style pants and steel toe boots. Why don't you give them a call?
P.S. No pole climbing
ATT Newb

Dublin, CA

#646 Jul 29, 2008
brad wrote:
Just got a job offer for a Prem Tech. at $18.20 an hour. I was told that I would top out after a year. I start on Aug 15, I was just curious what kind of perks you get, like discounts on cell and home services? And as far as all of the overtime I am looking forward to the big checks!!
You get a discount on at&t wireless services (19% if I recall), you get uverse at 25% off, unlimited home phone for $20 a month (I think, I don't have a use for a landline), and many connections to epp programs for other companies. I actually get a discount on my rent because I work for at&t!

Also, you do not get to take the truck home (at least not in the 2 yards I've worked in), I had a choice between a Ford F150 or a Chevy Silverado 1500WT, I chose the Chevy because of the upgraded suspension and better mirrors. Here in Cali we do not climb poles, and we are not "on call". I have been forced to work my o-days on several occasions, but it doesn't bother me.

I really enjoy this job, every install is a challenge, you have to think and every house is different. You don't get much time to get fast though, they want you hitting certain numbers quick or you're gone.
Geiger

Southgate, MI

#647 Jul 29, 2008
Got a call today to start Aug. 15th. Looking forward to the work.

Why doesn't att carry Versus? Being in the Detroit area I need it for NHL.

Guess I'll be an employee with someone else's service.
ckpg

Coldwater, MI

#648 Jul 30, 2008
helmet wrote:
climbing a pole isnt what im worried about. im worried about how the training is pass/fail, and the only thing i know that would give me trouble is the pole i think.
There is only one real pass/fail aspect to the training and that's a mock install on a fake house (you'll see what I mean). It's not hard, but you do have to pay attention.

Good luck and hang on, it's a rough ride at times.
Prem_Tech_Cali_S F

United States

#649 Jul 30, 2008
Rottweiler wrote:
Howdy. I'm in the SF bay area of CA. and have been invited to take the test for Prem Tech AT&T on 6/24. Background check has begun as well. Anyone else in my area? Any Prem Techs on the job in my area? If so, approximately how long was the process from test to hire?
Thanks in advance....
I am form Richmond California.

I JUST got hired for the Prem Tech Position. I started the process last november(2007), they finally called me in May 2008. It did not have to test because I have an A.A.S and 8 years with IBM. Although, I did have to take the basic computer skills test (This is a requirement, regardless).
I waited for months for someone to call me, but to no avail. They finally called me, and I now work 1 hour from my home.

I started applying a little over a year ago, for the splicing technician's job, but they have since put that position on hold. For those of you who are wondering why you should take this position? "Once you are in the door of AT&T, you can go anywhere you want". This is a quote from at least 20 people that I have met in higher positions. I am using the Prem Tech job to get the Splicing job and be able to travel and work at a position that appeals to me. This is worth the initial hell that we have to encounter.

:)
Prem_Tech_Cali_S F

United States

#650 Jul 30, 2008
Basically, these are the steps:
1. Apply Online (Monster, Yahoo hotjobs..etc), and wait for a responce. Time frame is unlimited
2. Invitation to Test and Online application - You are given instructions, date and time.
3. Your Online Application is put into a pool with 1000s of other Online Applications. Time frame is unlimited
4. A Manager will call you, once your application has been pulled from the pool. Time frame is unlimited
5. You will be scheduled for a drug screening and a physical, pending a training class opening. It is also a DNA drug test, which is why so many people fail. Time frame is set
So, basically you have entered the AT&T Lottery. It takes time, so be patient.
South FL Guy

Miami, FL

#651 Jul 31, 2008
Hot_in_FLA wrote:
Got the call today! Start Aug 4th, 7:30 AM. Kaki docker style pants and steel toe boots. Why don't you give them a call?
P.S. No pole climbing
I'm in and will be there on Monday...good thing I already have the required uniform :)
You'll recognize me by my station wagon, lol.
Hot_in_FLA

AOL

#652 Jul 31, 2008
I'll be driving 82 miles round trip for 6 weeks... There goes the check!!
After that only 60 something a day...
Anyways, we're in... Congrats to us!
Oh by the way, Red Pathfinder. See ya!
Nihao

Dearborn, MI

#653 Aug 1, 2008
Well, when you guys wash out, maybe they'll decide to call me.

But, they would probably rather pay someone the $10 an hour than someone like me who was already told I'd be getting the max hire $13.

But, really, it doesn't matter now. I was just told I'll be shipping off in October to Iraq. When I get back, I get to repeat the process of finding a job.

Fucking Michigan...
Hot_in_FLA

AOL

#654 Aug 1, 2008
Nihao wrote:
Well, when you guys wash out, maybe they'll decide to call me.
But, they would probably rather pay someone the $10 an hour than someone like me who was already told I'd be getting the max hire $13.
But, really, it doesn't matter now. I was just told I'll be shipping off in October to Iraq. When I get back, I get to repeat the process of finding a job.
Fucking Michigan...
Who told you we're "washing out"?
Who told you $10/hour?

GOOD LUCK IN IRAQ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Alden Short Inc (Dec '10) 1 hr Nanana2017 74
Looking for female French Bulldog to breed with... 4 hr Earl 9
Feminists For Trump 11 hr Goria Allred 1
Jason Garrett. Needs to Go 18 hr jeff 1
Cowboys future 19 hr goodsheppard 2
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Tue CheeseSniff 1,050
News Virtual Reality Headsets May Come With Health R... Tue Gpo344 1

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages