old school bellsouth

Milton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

make over 110000 annually,wire tech will never make that/that said i work alot off ot/over 49 is double time/sunday is time and a half regardless/holidays are 8hr plus time and a half/ if you work over 8 its 2.5 times your hr rate/wire tech is not a career job,sorry to say
mike

Sevierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Take it from an ex prem tech, when you get an opportunity for another job take it. Att is garbage. I quit and now have a federal govt job starting more than a prem tech can top out at. I earn 8 hrs vacation time per paycheck and 4 hrs sick time per check. Get paid biweekly. Prem techs had no sick time and only earned 10 days vacation per year.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Please note old school is part of core contract, not the newer appendix contract that Prem techs are hired under. In district 4 ( Midwest), overtime is time and half only (work 60 hrs in a week you earned 20 hrs OT at 1.5 pay), NO double time at all, Sundays are time and half and any WORK over 40 hrs in a week is 1.5 pay rate. Holidays and vacations days are paid as eight hours, NOT part of 40 hr week, meaning if Monday holiday and you work four ten hours days, you have NOT earned any overtime for that week. Sunday pay is best as the first eight hours are paid as overtime additional hours are straight time but ALL the time counts towards your 40, so 10 hrs on a Sunday is 8 OT, 2 straight time and only need 30 more hours till you can make more OT. Yes you can still make 50-60k if you can Ave 55 hours per week (5days, 11 hers per day). Math possible maxs 85k / yr on six days per week, 12 hr/day.
High resistance open

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

I hate to burst old schools bubble but you better save as much of tgat 110000 salary as possible. Att will be dead to its customers within
Five years. I am a service tech, came from utilities, and the company is promising service it cant always deliver. I am personally a fan of the company but we have too many fuck ups out there providing shitty maintenance and service to tge people who pay our salaries. It took four hours for me to complete an ipdslam because some idiot in sales told the cust that we were placing fiber to the prem. on top of that the reason she switched to ipdslam from dsl is becsuse she had 6 different technicians tell her that she could only get 1 out of 6 meg service was because of a load coil. SHE HAD BEEN PAYING FOR SIX MEG SERVICE FOR 3 YEARS. i removrd the load coil for the ipdsl so why tge fuck couldnt the previous st's? there wont be a difference between wire tech and service tech soon..

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Premises Tech in Arkansas.

Applied - DEC 19th

VUE - DEC 28th

RJP - Jan 15th

ACCEPTED JOB OFFER - JAN 24th

Orientation is scheduled first of Feb, then they are going to let me know what city/state I'm going for training.

Can anyone shed light on this? Have you had to drive to out of city/state training? Am I driving my personal vehicle?

Understand they are paying for the hotel and a per diem.

Just trying to make arrangements as the HR lady wouldn't/couldn't tell me.

THANKS
Lookin

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

How long does the training last? Is it difficult?
How much would I make in training? Would pole climbing be a part of the training?
MikeKC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Lookin wrote:
How long does the training last? Is it difficult?
How much would I make in training? Would pole climbing be a part of the training?
The training lasts 9 weeks. It can be hard if you don't have previous experience. I just started training and I am doing the pole climbing portion ((1 week) and I am have a hard time with it, but I am slowly getting it. The instructor won't let you pass easily but if your struggling he will give you extra help when needed. You will make your 40 hours a week when your in training. I am making the best of the situation, as you should also do. Come in with a positive attitude and you will be alright.
junk yrd dowgs

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

MikeKC wrote:
<quoted text>
The training lasts 9 weeks. It can be hard if you don't have previous experience. I just started training and I am doing the pole climbing portion ((1 week) and I am have a hard time with it, but I am slowly getting it. The instructor won't let you pass easily but if your struggling he will give you extra help when needed. You will make your 40 hours a week when your in training. I am making the best of the situation, as you should also do. Come in with a positive attitude and you will be what area alright.
what area are u going to be wrking
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

MikeKC wrote:
<quoted text>
The training lasts 9 weeks. It can be hard if you don't have previous experience. I just started training and I am doing the pole climbing portion ((1 week) and I am have a hard time with it, but I am slowly getting it. The instructor won't let you pass easily but if your struggling he will give you extra help when needed. You will make your 40 hours a week when your in training. I am making the best of the situation, as you should also do. Come in with a positive attitude and you will be alright.
Hey, I just passed the TMTII test today and have the RJP on Tuesday for Los Angeles area...there's actually pole climbing involved in the training?? I thought they went the way of ladders-only nowadays...if I actually get to climb, that's a HUGE plus for me for this job. What's the likelihood of climbing on the job vs just training?
MikeKC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

junk yrd dowgs wrote:
<quoted text>what area are u going to be wrking
Kansas City
MikeKC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I just passed the TMTII test today and have the RJP on Tuesday for Los Angeles area...there's actually pole climbing involved in the training?? I thought they went the way of ladders-only nowadays...if I actually get to climb, that's a HUGE plus for me for this job. What's the likelihood of climbing on the job vs just training?
I heard you will most likely use a ladder, but they train you in pole climbing just in case you come across a situation where you don't have any other options. It is a pass/fail course. If you don't catch on they won't let you progress and you will most likely be terminated at that point.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeKC wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard you will most likely use a ladder, but they train you in pole climbing just in case you come across a situation where you don't have any other options. It is a pass/fail course. If you don't catch on they won't let you progress and you will most likely be terminated at that point.
Ahh, well that's a bummer...Well I'm gonna see how the RJP goes and if its something I really want to do...to be honest I'm trying to just use this as a "for the time being" type job until I grab an interview for Power Lineman Apprenticeship which I've already tested and passed for. I know Power is obviously a hell of a lot better than this job will ever dream to be haha, but the local utility is taking FOR-EV-ER to go down the list of people who passed.
Eric in KY

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

former tech wrote:
eric this job is worse then any factory job you had...the test isn't hard if you have any sort of common sense
Well I passed it. Any idea how long it usually takes to get a call? I just need something to get me by right now and this is the only job that I've gotten further than the application stage at in the last four months.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeKC do you have any other info on training? I thought i had some legit boots but they aren't 90 degree block so apparently i get to buy new boots.

Despite the bs on this forum i'm looking forward to the job.
MikeD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

yxxqzme wrote:
Premises Tech in Arkansas.
Applied - DEC 19th
VUE - DEC 28th
RJP - Jan 15th
ACCEPTED JOB OFFER - JAN 24th
Orientation is scheduled first of Feb, then they are going to let me know what city/state I'm going for training.
Can anyone shed light on this? Have you had to drive to out of city/state training? Am I driving my personal vehicle?
Understand they are paying for the hotel and a per diem.
Just trying to make arrangements as the HR lady wouldn't/couldn't tell me.
THANKS
Say yxxqzme, I'm in all AR so as well and I have my orientation on Feb 8th, so maybe we'll be in the same class. I really don't understand why they only give you a couple of days to make arrangements, because I would love to know ahead of time where I'm going.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeD i'll see you on the 8th.

good luck, i've been trying to find out info but the web is a hit and miss.
i still have to buy some boots to replace the ones i already have, because of the 90 degree block..
dogcrap

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

thats how they treat you. lots of stress.
MikeD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

yxxqzme wrote:
MikeD i'll see you on the 8th.
good luck, i've been trying to find out info but the web is a hit and miss.
i still have to buy some boots to replace the ones i already have, because of the 90 degree block..
Cool. Yeah, I've been searching the web trying to gather info and to be honest, I haven't read any to many forums or post from to many people who actually LIKE being a Prem Tech. I have an pair boot from a prior job, but I'm going to get another pair just in case.
I understand that the training last 9 weeks and I've read how the training is for each week, but my question is this...How many weeks are you intially gone? I thought from the RJP they said it was 5 weeks or did I misunderstand?
Secret

Springdale, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeD wrote:
<quoted text>
Say yxxqzme, I'm in all AR so as well and I have my orientation on Feb 8th, so maybe we'll be in the same class. I really don't understand why they only give you a couple of days to make arrangements, because I would love to know ahead of time where I'm going.
To answer your question. Safety/Pole Climbing probably KCMO. Technical could be KCMO, Dallas, Houston, Austin.
prev premtech

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

I worked for them for about a year at the age of 19 i started out at 13.50 an hour. Yea it was a hassle but depending on what your used to it works. they had a bunch of union contracts going through im not sure accepted or not. Its a good job if you have ride to office in mornings and during training out of town sometimes. not to mention just now i called wondering about w2 status cause i had to update information after att made me go to another company to change information....well turns out they don't update through them and sent my w2 to a completely different state....wonderful hr as well

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,241 - 6,260 of7,792
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Dallas News Video

•••
•••

Dallas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE