Mason

Oakland, CA

#6386 Jan 17, 2013
Hi guys a few things to ask first off I applied for a prem. tech job in california, can anyone tell me what the starting pay is at? I passed my test and my PTA and just got a email a day after that I took the PTA and it says that i will be in a pool with other canidates that also passed, I was wondering does anyone know how long i could be waiting? Also I am 21 years old, I am looking for a job that i can stay for and get settled in, so my question is as far as benifits and getting more pay or a better work oppoutunity is this a good company to work for?
grunt

Grandville, MI

#6387 Jan 18, 2013
I suggest you look elsewhere. If you really want to know the answers to all your questions, start with post #1 and work your way back to this page.
Mason

Hayward, CA

#6388 Jan 18, 2013
nevermind thanks anyway, just got called today, badass, ready for some work
moe

Detroit, MI

#6389 Jan 19, 2013
what is a wire technician? I seen the position on att website.
junk yrd dowgs

Los Angeles, CA

#6390 Jan 19, 2013
moe wrote:
what is a wire technician? I seen the position on att website.
where are wire techs position . Wire tech is low payed prim techs
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6391 Jan 20, 2013
Wire techs are titled position reclassified for southeast us when they final became part of union. Included I believe Florida the Carolina's, Georgia, etc nine states in all. For more info see cwa district 3 website for rules and bennies for this position, but yes basic PT job that is now covered by the union but not part of core contract. Includes 30 months from hire before possibility of moving to different post ion, auto pay increase every six months till top pay is reached, wages increases of 2.25% per year, right to union rep for grievences. Please note that different districts have different contracts which means not all Prem techs get same pay and bennies throughout the 22 states ATT operates in, check the various districts websites for your state and what it means to you. All other regions only have Prem tech title not wire line title.
KCMike

Fremont, CA

#6392 Jan 21, 2013
I finally got offered the position of Premises Tech today for the Kansas City, MO area. Approx how many hours a week do they want you to work including overtime? I really dont care if I work alot of hours, i am just trying to figure out how much a week i should expect to bring in. I am guessing around 60 but i am not sure if there is more available. In my last job I worked 84 hours a week so.......

“back for a limited time”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#6393 Jan 21, 2013
what?
bell x

Fort Worth, TX

#6394 Jan 21, 2013
Good Luck
TimNola

Oklahoma City, OK

#6395 Jan 22, 2013
Just qualified after take mechanical test II, so what us next guys?
Wire tech sc

Atlanta, GA

#6396 Jan 22, 2013
Tipnring wrote:
Go with Walmart boots...cheaper and they get the job done! Good luck!
Walmart boots won't last 3 months, red wings or timbs are the way to go
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6397 Jan 22, 2013
Concerning boots from page 299 July 9, 2013
Former PT Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeat after me: I WILL NOT SKIMP ON MY BOOTS TO SAVE $50.
Seriously, empty that wallet. You will be on your feet all day, and unless you are the kind of guy who fools around alot and gets your boots punctured/scraped to an unusable state quickly, it's worth it to generally think of $100 as an absolute minimum on your boot cost.
Ok, let me back up a bit: in training, it may serve you to have a pair of $20 payless boots with a square heel (needs to have a shank in it too, for climbing ladders). That will get you up and running at minimum cost - but it only makes sense if you don't have time to get real boots before orientation, or you are really concerned about failing out.
Once you're out of training, a good pair of $1-300 boots will make all the difference when you might be standing/squatting for the majority of your 8-12 hour work day. Hell, even driving in the truck a lot, you will notice the difference.
Personally, I'd recommend something like an EMT/firefighter boot, since you get laces for tightening, but also zippers for easy on/off, and maybe good hazmat/biological/puncture protection:
http://www.edarley.com/firefighting-equipment...
Black leather boots of any style, in my experience, get you much more respect from customers than the standard labor/construction "yellow boot". You might get laughed at by your peers, but they will shut up when your P2Rs start rolling in. Also, if you shine them regularly, you can use them as a more formal/dress boot outside of work.
Anyway, whatever you do, stay away from boots under $100 if you think you'll be a PT for a year or more - the work will hurt you more, and the company will be able to blame substandard footgear on any worker's comp claim(*).
(* This will depend on your garage/manager... Hell, even needing to wear the boots is up to them. I know plenty of techs who just keep their boots in the van as needed, and wear regular sneakers or flat-soled boots the rest of the time. But I'd rather just get really comfy boots with a lifetime warranty and never worry about someone "catching me" during a random spot check.)
Vidicon

Bentonville, AR

#6398 Jan 22, 2013
I worked as a PT in the New Orleans , Baton Rouge area from july 09 to July 11. I started at 15.00 per hrs. And max out at 17.58 per within a yr. after that you got a bonus. The number game sucked big time. I quit and now work inside on medical equipment. I Just got a email on wire tech position . I wish the top paid was 34 per. I would apply ,but the posters stated 20.58 per sound more like it.
Abow

Chicago, IL

#6399 Jan 23, 2013
Bruce Campbell wrote:
I just got hired for this position. I start at $13.08 an hour and the top pay for this position as of now is $16.75 an hour. I'm assuming that by the time I get to top pay it will be higher than that. I did get hired at the 3 year pay scale because of my schooling, so it will take 2 years, instead of 5 to get to top pay. I will be the first to admit that the pay is not on par with the other jobs at AT&T but hopefully, now that I have a foot in the door, I will be able to bid into a higher paying position after a few years.
By the way, I live in the St.louis area.
Sorry to bust your bubble your dreaming. They are getting rid of all the good paying jobs. Lol
Prem tech

United States

#6400 Jan 23, 2013
I was called was offered a job in Monterey but they offered a job at 20$ hr, I still have orientation but my question is if my position tops out at 22$ I have never had a technical job, but I worked 4 yrs in customer service...my question is what I the chance I'm gunna actually work at 20$ hr?
TimNola

Gretna, LA

#6401 Jan 24, 2013
Did AT&T just change PT to wire tech? What are different? Thanks
Eric in KY

Chicago, IL

#6402 Jan 24, 2013
I take my the test tomorrow. It seems like this job might kinda suck from what I'm reading but my last job was at a machine factory that was non union so I can't imagine it's any worse than that. How hard is this test?
former tech

Hamden, CT

#6403 Jan 24, 2013
eric this job is worse then any factory job you had...the test isn't hard if you have any sort of common sense
old school bellsouth

Milton, FL

#6404 Jan 24, 2013
make over 110000 annually,wire tech will never make that/that said i work alot off ot/over 49 is double time/sunday is time and a half regardless/holidays are 8hr plus time and a half/ if you work over 8 its 2.5 times your hr rate/wire tech is not a career job,sorry to say
mike

United States

#6405 Jan 24, 2013
Take it from an ex prem tech, when you get an opportunity for another job take it. Att is garbage. I quit and now have a federal govt job starting more than a prem tech can top out at. I earn 8 hrs vacation time per paycheck and 4 hrs sick time per check. Get paid biweekly. Prem techs had no sick time and only earned 10 days vacation per year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Game (Nov '12) 4 hr SexSusie 154
price of living in Texas 11 hr Michael Young 19
Michael young 13 hr Michael Young 1
Illuminati: Corna Sign Does Not Mean "I Love U"... (Jul '11) 16 hr Ebenezer 5
A Test Should Block a Student's Future 23 hr Culture Auditor 1
Yes, older people have sex. Lots of sex. (Feb '14) Mon Sarene 6
Is Texas the Uneducated, Ignorant Rednecks Para... (Dec '12) Mon texas forever 13

Winter Storm Warning for Dallas County was issued at March 04 at 3:56AM CST

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:01 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:01PM