AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
FamilyGuyTX

Desoto, TX

#6155 Jul 30, 2012
frmtechsupprt_2_premtech wrote:
FamilyGuyTX: How long did it take for you to get a "Firm Offer" from the time you were given a "Conditional Offer"? I did my drug screening already after the conditional offer but I know that Conditional means its not yet 100% that's why they tell you not to quit your current job yet.
I believe it was like a week and a half between conditional and firm. I know even that short amount of time seems like forever when you're waiting for the final offer, but if your drug & physical test and background are good there's no reason they won't firm it up.
And Edgezorz, congrats on the offer dude. I'm currently about 2/3 through training and have some tidbits of advice. DO NOT be late even 1 minute, especially to orientation. You can read my previous posts to see what happens when you do so. The first week my orientation was 24 guys. By the end of the first week, pole climbing, we were down to 13. 9 guys in my class were either too scared to go up all the way or just couldn't get the climbing technique down, so please pay attention and take it very seriously. You only have to go up 18 ft! I was moderately afraid of heights to begin with, but I'm having my first child soon and this job is it for me so I had no choice but to get through it. Once you make it through pole climbing you're pretty much set there's another couple pass/fail weeks but we didn't lose anyone on the one last week and this week everyone says is a friggin cakewalk so I'm not worried at all. Best of luck.
Cajun D

Denham Springs, LA

#6156 Jul 30, 2012
I was once a Prem-Tech in South Louisiana. The only positive/good experience I had with AT&T Prem Tech position is training. It was a nice little paid vacation. I have 20 years in the Telco/Voice/Data industry, and by far, this was the worst. The only way up is to be a manager. You will have no chance for any other outside, inside, or technical position.(You really work for SBC) You will have a daily morning huddle, or what I like to call a "threat fest". Sales will promise the customers the world, and guess who gets screamed at when you can't give them everything they want. Your manager cares only about his job, his numbers, and his goals. They give you unattainable and impossible scores to meet. These are based on a time limit for your installs. Example: You have a 5 box install with Voip. The customer has old cable (RG-58) It all needs to be replaced, new cable has to be pulled. You have to run a Cat home run to the NID, install and set up all the boxes, move furniture, test VOIP, yadda yadda, etc. You have 90 minutes to do it. IMPOSSIBLE.
If you are considering taking the position, search Youtube for Prem Tech. They have some funny but very true animated videos on it. Good luck. Make sure to grease it up real good!

Since: Jul 12

Los Angeles, CA

#6157 Jul 30, 2012
Question for pole climbing in training: do you use a bucksqueeze? Can you take your time for safety purposes or not?
Former PT Sacramento

United States

#6158 Jul 31, 2012
Cajun D wrote:
They give you unattainable and impossible scores to meet. These are based on a time limit for your installs. Example: You have a 5 box install with Voip. The customer has old cable (RG-58) It all needs to be replaced, new cable has to be pulled. You have to run a Cat home run to the NID, install and set up all the boxes, move furniture, test VOIP, yadda yadda, etc. You have 90 minutes to do it. IMPOSSIBLE.
If you are considering taking the position, search Youtube for Prem Tech. They have some funny but very true animated videos on it. Good luck. Make sure to grease it up real good!
Okay, so if it's an install, there's no way it's 90 minutes. So, let's say it's a repair.

Let's make it easy, and say they don't have the wire plan.

So, you go, you actually have 90 minutes to run three cat 5 HRs (please don't replace coax with coax, that's just silly).

Three? Yes! Because, of course, we only cover the first three for free. For the last two that need to be run, you charge, and earn another 20-odd minutes per run for those.

Then, because you're smart, you also take advantage of the new wireless boxes, and do a "buy one, get one" offer. Pretty sure you get time for the box sold, which will cover the install time for both (or close to it).

But wait... 3 free runs, plus two paid, PLUS two wireless? That's 7 boxes! Of course, because to make your time, you actually are replacing two of the *free* runs with wireless boxes.

Then, if you're good, you make sure to throw in some kind of promo, like free HBO or Cinemax. Service upgrades add time also, and can be done from the truck post-close.

Make sure you get P2Rs for everything possible, because the last thing you do is phone your boss, tell them what you sold, tell them the customer is happy, and *then* ask for whatever exception time you need if you couldn't fit it all in.

Screwing the customer? Hardly! They can get pretty much all the extra charges wiped off their bill if they threaten to cancel, and it won't hurt your numbers. Everybody wins.

Stupid? Yep. Ridiculous? Sure. But, play the game to win, and it's totally doable.

Also, once you're done, lookup who did the install, and remember their name. You see it a lot, pull them aside, and remind them their shit work affects other people. If it doesn't help, go ahead and make sure the managers are aware of whose getting pinched (cause it hits their numbers, too).
Mike81179

Concord, CA

#6159 Jul 31, 2012
All cable companies have short time frames for jobs.It's all about budgeting you time wisely. Some jobs turn out to be easy and you can make up your time from the jobs that took forever. I worked for DIRECTV in-house for 3 years and they would give us 3 hours for a 5 box new install sometimes.When you consider the time it takes to discuss the dish placement and the cable routing with the customer, you can be an hour into the job before you even start. And then the next day, the same job would say 2 hours. The cable biz is a bitch but it's all about rolling with the punches.
FamilyGuyTX

Desoto, TX

#6160 Jul 31, 2012
Question for pole climbing in training: do you use a bucksqueeze? Can you take your time for safety purposes or not?
I've never climbed a dang thing in my life, and I'm kind of a slow learner, but I made it through pole climbing no problem. You're going to climb for 5 straight days so you can basically practice all morning every day. And it's extremely safe, you literally have to be an idiot to fall off the pole if that's even possible.
Milwaukee PT

Kenosha, WI

#6161 Aug 1, 2012
Hi PT Sac, you still with att,take a manager position or get a better offer.elsewhere, the world would like to know. Much good info here and on uverseusers for those willing to invest the time. But sac has more to say than most, good info,. I continue to test the waters, July had five repeats all equipment failure, 100% cx sat score, 94 for dispatch eff., and 78 for speed, if you take one of those 120% super tech and me we Ave. Close to 100% effect., that is the job...some easy some not do your best work, take care of customer, be where you are supposed to be and B SAFE this all takes time. We are currently forced 10 hours, I had 121 plus hours last pay period, OT is there. Uverse will be adding about 1000 jobs this year in the Midwest, includes outside sales, call centers and Prem techs, if new contract is approved top pay for Prem will go from current 20.01 to about 21.65 over the next three years. Good or bad is based on your perceived views,20 year no college, last job paying 10.50 thinks it is all good, if your a laid out craft worker such as electrician that made 80k+ this pay is not serious for the info needed to know and work expected. Others views also glad to read.
Milwaukee PT

Kenosha, WI

#6162 Aug 1, 2012
Former PT Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so if it's an install, there's no way it's 90 minutes. So, let's say it's a repair.
Let's make it easy, and say they don't have the wire plan.
So, you go, you actually have 90 minutes to run three cat 5 HRs (please don't replace coax with coax, that's just silly).
Three? Yes! Because, of course, we only cover the first three for free. For the last two that need to be run, you charge, and earn another 20-odd minutes per run for those.
Then, because you're smart, you also take advantage of the new wireless boxes, and do a "buy one, get one" offer. Pretty sure you get time for the box sold, which will cover the install time for both (or close to it).
But wait... 3 free runs, plus two paid, PLUS two wireless? That's 7 boxes! Of course, because to make your time, you actually are replacing two of the *free* runs with wireless boxes.
Then, if you're good, you make sure to throw in some kind of promo, like free HBO or Cinemax. Service upgrades add time also, and can be done from the truck post-close.
Make sure you get P2Rs for everything possible, because the last thing you do is phone your boss, tell them what you sold, tell them the customer is happy, and *then* ask for whatever exception time you need if you couldn't fit it all in.
Screwing the customer? Hardly! They can get pretty much all the extra charges wiped off their bill if they threaten to cancel, and it won't hurt your numbers. Everybody wins.
Stupid? Yep. Ridiculous? Sure. But, play the game to win, and it's totally doable.
Also, once you're done, lookup who did the install, and remember their name. You see it a lot, pull them aside, and remind them their shit work affects other people. If it doesn't help, go ahead and make sure the managers are aware of whose getting pinched (cause it hits their numbers, too).
If it is repair,all wiring is billable, unless this within the first 30 days of install, then your statements are close, there are NO FREE inside wiring jobs on a repair, without a wiring plan the bill is trip charge $99, plus each wire run is $55 not including wall fish or jacks, five TVs rewired $374.00 if you wish to replace two STBs with wifi boxes the cost for each is $49 so your total charge is $362. All because maybe the install tech did not take the time to replace all coax ends even those behind wallplates,(if you have to remove a wall plate to replace the end also install a new wall plate) track down all hidden splitters, run coax map tests and hpna test, this all takes TIME, about two thirds of all my repairs are correcting and reinstalling the equipment, cx is inconvienced, has had freezing, pixel, sound issues, possible formed a bad view point of uverse and its workers, had countless calls and time spend with tier 1, booting and rebooting equipment only to be told by tier 1 their tests show an inside issue and a tech will be dispatched and they may be billed depending on what the tech finds. PLEASE if you are hired or currently work for Big Blue, do everyone a flavor and do the job right the first time how ever long it may take, remember numbers are just averages, sometimes you make them and sometimes you do not, enjoy your work or find something else to do.

Since: Jul 12

Los Angeles, CA

#6163 Aug 1, 2012
I commend Sacramento PT, Milwaukee PT, FamilyGuy TX...Thank you for all the constructive feedbacks. Im really learning with Sacramento PT's style in dealing with the day to day issues. So far I still have a little idea with the technical aspect of it. Probably once im trained, Ill be able to piece everything and apply it.
Wallplate

Garner, NC

#6164 Aug 2, 2012
I have to agree with Cajun D 100%. Of all the posts on this page, his best describes my experience with AT&T.

I recently spoke with a former co-worker who told me turnover remains high. Several people who were good techs have quit or been fired. Was told if I entered the office now, I would hardly recognize anyone... and I've only been gone about six months.

Make less money now, but being treated like a human being is worth its weight in gold.
edgezorz

Lakeside, CA

#6165 Aug 4, 2012
So it must depend on what district you are in cause in socal there is NO pole climbing at all....
Pairchanger

The Rock, GA

#6166 Aug 5, 2012
Wallplate wrote:
I have to agree with Cajun D 100%. Of all the posts on this page, his best describes my experience with AT&T.
I recently spoke with a former co-worker who told me turnover remains high. Several people who were good techs have quit or been fired. Was told if I entered the office now, I would hardly recognize anyone... and I've only been gone about six months.
Make less money now, but being treated like a human being is worth its weight in gold.
Yeah, I've always heard it was 40% but in all honesty that might be in the fist year. By year 2 I would have to say it's more like 80-90%. In 3 years I've worked with at least 50 guys that have left. Me and one other guy are still here from our original crew when I started and we have 30 techs in our garage. We had 4 people leave last month. By the way way We are all still very disappointed in CWA district 3. Checked their site today and saw where theyre trying to bargain for Utility employees to get core benefits, who the hell are utility workers anyways! Yet still they want nothing to do with us if its not our own seperate contract. Theyre gonna wish they got us in the contract the last go around. Core, the writings been on the wall for some time now and I have a feeling your all gonna get the message very soon. Article 13 is over and you have no contract now. AT&T owns that F-2 and crossbox, not CWA....
junk yrd dowgs

United States

#6167 Aug 5, 2012
Yeah talk about micromanagement in a call center environment, its everywhere in our floor. Well, it has it ups and downs, one downside of it is troubleshooting with a customer over the phone who doesnt even know how to do a right click with their mouse or doesnt know how to pull the power cord of their modem to power cycle it. Probably this time being a premtech would be a change since I'll be able to see and troubleshoothe issue myself. Though the bottom line of both positions is make the customers happy and meet all the "over the top" metrics. Hope I can breeze through it just like in my previous job....
I would appreciate for some more "Cover Your A**" tips here with regards to premtech metrics :D hohoho!!!
cover your ass tips dont forget shit run all tests asked at first take your time learn your job before advanced to tinure 2 or 3 then pick up pace learn all variations of trouble issues and know what the problem is before arriving on site close jobs as fast ad possable learn. Amount of jobs needed to complete in 8 hr period to achieve 100% eff u do this u will fly under radar collect chech go the fuck home
Wish I was Core

Fremont, CA

#6168 Aug 6, 2012
Basically, don't take on this job if you can help it. If you must, gain all the experience/knowledge you can and leave. This company is a meat grinder. I can't depart just yet, but that's what I'm looking to do.
Or if you're able, get a degree in something useful/relevant in the job market today.
It is getting thick

Greenville, SC

#6169 Aug 6, 2012
Utility workers are the hardest working people in the company. I came from utilities myself but now an st. Those guys deserved core benefits for the past 16 years but won't get them ever. If premise techs want to see what's going to happen they should look to the utility workers. They've been promised the moon since day one. Article 14 ain't going nowhere in the southeast. You can take that to the bank.
Pairchanger

The Rock, GA

#6170 Aug 6, 2012
It is getting thick wrote:
Utility workers are the hardest working people in the company. I came from utilities myself but now an st. Those guys deserved core benefits for the past 16 years but won't get them ever. If premise techs want to see what's going to happen they should look to the utility workers. They've been promised the moon since day one. Article 14 ain't going nowhere in the southeast. You can take that to the bank.
Gues the utility guys are the bsw dudes "whats left of them" most now are prem techs. If its not them then what is a utility workers title? Yeah they have it pretty bad, 7-4pm, mon-fri, 3 jobs a day and done by lunch 90% of the time for the same money we make. Man they have it bad lol. Hey St if you got some time look back in this forum to 4 years ago when I too was a St. All ya'll do are uverse syncs now, nobody gives a shit about a home phone anymore unless it's part of their uverse bundle and half of them dont even own a home phone their just bundling and saving money. I'm typing this now on my 4g iphone! Pots is dead, what makes district 3 so special compared to the rest of the country where the prem tech does it all..... Damn if it was a 4 day contract extension I could meet you at the bank on Friday.
It is getting thick

United States

#6171 Aug 7, 2012
Yea 3 jobs a day is so easy when you have to bore 3 driveways and two roads on one job. If you have ever buried drops you know. Pots is dead. High speed Internet is the future. Not tv.
Former PT Sacramento

New Haven, CT

#6172 Aug 7, 2012
It is getting thick wrote:
Yea 3 jobs a day is so easy when you have to bore 3 driveways and two roads on one job. If you have ever buried drops you know. Pots is dead. High speed Internet is the future. Not tv.
The trick is, AT&T's TV runs over high speed Internet. Out of the box. Nothing stopping them from allowing display on your iPhone, laptop, desktop, except their content deals and own strategies. They're pretty well placed for a bunch of potential futures:

TV over Internet (done, like I said, but "for real")
Ala carte channels (basically done)
Self-published "channels" and VoD (needs backend work, but way ahead of the others)

It'll be interesting to see whether they can navigate the present to get to the future first, or if they get bogged down in a very particular view of the market as it exists today, and try to win by adding a bunch of extras like home security, telepresence, etc.

Whatever they plan, though, signing a decent contract for their hard working PTs will determine how successful it is. SOMEONE still needs to go into the home, and not piss off the customer.
Former PT Sacramento

New Haven, CT

#6173 Aug 7, 2012
Also, are we on strike for real this time? I saw a bunch of redshirts outside a windowless AT&T building on my way into town this morning...
Technorcal

Hayward, CA

#6174 Aug 7, 2012
A two day Unfair Labor Practice strike started today in CA & NV. No surprise for the company, they had managers (two to a truck) at our Prem Tech yard doing Customer Self Installs. All the company needed to do is search CWA 9400 on the internet yesterday to find out what was going on. As of now we'll be back to work on Thursday.
CWA needs to call an Unfair Contract Strike. If I remember right in 2009, during contract negotiations, a federal offense was committed against the company in the SF bay area. It ended up revealing a poorly engineered and incomplete fiber optic infrastructure. Shortly thereafter a contract agreement was reached.
While no one would condone damaging AT&T's outside plant, due to AT&T's unwavering stance, it seems that a full blown strike is inevitable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dallas City Council delays decisions on Confede... 3 hr Romneys parasites 82
Best adult dating \ hookup sites? 14 hr Adam 9
Al Sharpton, Man "O God, President in 2020 :?( Tue abdellina hassan 6
War is Soon Coming to America.... Tue money 3
black women need to step thier game up and lose... (Jul '11) Tue player 6
Continental Parts Co. Hall Of Shame Tue Greg Knight 2
News Forney pastor facing sex assault charges (Mar '07) Mon Tired of busted men 474

Dallas Jobs

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages