CJB

United States

#41 Jan 14, 2008
I've got the exam tomorrow. Based on the previous discussion, is there any consideration based on education for pay? I have an Associates of Applied Science.

Do they pay any commission to supplement the hourly pay?
DWM

Bloomingdale, IL

#42 Jan 14, 2008
CJB--- They say there is consideration for experience and education.
I have taken the exam and passed, it was tougher that expected, but, mostly common sense. They told me that top starting pay in IL is $13 per hour. A lot lower than I had hoped. I'm still trying to get information on the benefits. I took the physcial and drug test last week. I'm supposed to hear from them in the next day or so about a training site. Hopefully, there will be someone there from HR that can answer my questions. Good Luck.
DWM

Bloomingdale, IL

#43 Jan 14, 2008
CJB-- There was some talk about commision on additional sales, but, I don't think it would add up to much.
CJB

United States

#44 Jan 14, 2008
When I was in wireless sales for Cingular, it was an additional 2-3k every month...
CJB

United States

#45 Jan 15, 2008
Took the test passed both exams. Said I qualified for Prem tech, or Cust Service Tech, or Cable Splicer...
John Smith

Bensenville, IL

#46 Jan 15, 2008
Premesis Tech Chicago, IL
I passed the exams and face to face interview on december 18, 2007 and i was just offered a job today. They told me the starting salary was $462/week. i did the math and that only comes out to 11.55/hour which seems a little low for that kind of work. but i understand there is plenty of opportunity for over time and sales incentive bonuses? raises every six months. I also think its strange that it takes 6 months for benefits to kick in. most companies are no more than 90 days for benefits. anyone in similar situation??
CJB

United States

#47 Jan 16, 2008
From my understanding of the position from the exam. Well @ least in the Houston area, the pay is hourly @ $11.54 - $13.08 capping off @ $16.76. They did verify that benefits take 6 months to achieve. Lastly I heard that there is a lot of overtime available. In Houston there is a freeze on Prem Techs, and Cable Splicers, but there are Cust Service tech positions available.
DWM

Bloomingdale, IL

#48 Jan 16, 2008
Going to orientation on Friday in Hoffman Estates. I will post more info when I get it. 6 months for benefits is long. My sister who used to work for At&T said she thought it would be 6 months.
Hopefully, the benefits are worth the wait. The main reason I took the job is for the benefits, but, noone seems to know much about them. Hopefully Friday will tell all..........
DWM

Bloomingdale, IL

#49 Jan 16, 2008
CJB-- When you worked for Cingular, you were in sales. Commissions were a big part of your package. I think they mainly want the techs to do a ton of installs and maybe some upgrades on service, but, I still don't think it will amount to much.

Does anyone know if the overtime in mandatory?
CJB

United States

#50 Jan 16, 2008
DWM-I think your correct. In regards to the commissions. They made it seem like there was lots of OT. They made sure we knew that there were overnight jobs, and we had to be available 24/7...

Good luck DWM
John Smith

Bensenville, IL

#51 Jan 16, 2008
How long are the training classes? I understand they are out of state. Iím assuming att accommodates your travels/room and board...right?
Mich

United States

#52 Jan 16, 2008
what is the starting rate for premises tech.? I live in Illinois and thought I would be offered 523 a week and just got a call and HR said only 424 week.
DWM

Bloomingdale, IL

#53 Jan 16, 2008
My understanding it that there is 7 weeks of training. Half in classroom and half in the field (out of state most likely). They pay room and travel expenses plus $25 per day for food.

$525 is the starting pay if you have experience.

I will update after friday.
John Smith

Bensenville, IL

#54 Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for the info DWM. I wonder what kind of room you get, will it be shared? Okay, there is a company provided vehicle. Is this a vehicle that you can drive home?, or is it kept at a certain location that you have to go back to every single day?
CJB

United States

#55 Jan 17, 2008
I heard, so this is speculative that there are substations where the vehicles are kept.
John Smith

Bensenville, IL

#56 Jan 18, 2008
Am I the only on that has a not so good feeling about this Premises Technician position?

They mentioned being available days, nights, weekends, come in on days off to cover call-off's, be on call over night. A lot of physical work. Also is union so would have to pay due's. No benefits for 6 months...all this for a whopping $11.55/hour? I'm sure some do start higher, but I saw someone else's post on here(4 up)with even LOWER starting pay than myself. Sounds like it will completely suck for the first 6 months until that first raise and benefits kick in.
DWM

Bloomingdale, IL

#57 Jan 18, 2008
Looks like one week training in home area, then 1 week out of state, more in home training and then the rest of training in in your area...at least chicago. Company vehicle looks like it will stay at the company garage.
You can't use it for personel use anyway. In markets that are spread out, might be kept.

Good news..... Pretty good benefit package.

Bad News --- have to wait 6 months.
--- no pension for this position
have to be in position for 36 months before you can move out.

IBEW position, however, it seems that they sold the premise tech short on this deal. I think all the premise techs need to push the union for a pension. Go to union meetings and talk it up. They call us brothers, but, average member gets around $25-30 buck an hour with a pension plan. Let's see if they really want to stick up for us when the contract expires in 2009.

More later
David lee Roth

Coppell, TX

#58 Jan 18, 2008
LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD ROADIES 300 BUCKS AND NIGHT AND ALL YOU CAN EAT
John Smith

Bensenville, IL

#59 Jan 18, 2008
David lee Roth wrote:
LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD ROADIES 300 BUCKS AND NIGHT AND ALL YOU CAN EAT
....nice
Jim

AOL

#60 Jan 19, 2008
Anyone going to Royal Oak MI next week?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roland Mack, The Most Interesting Man in East D... (Jan '14) 1 hr southbronx 2
man 6 hr check 2
Ebola patient moved to Dallas to marry mother o... 11 hr streetrunner 63
ebola - build a wall around texas !!!!!!!!!!!!!... 12 hr squeezers 6
We Need to Secure Our Borders from Illness and ... 23 hr They cannot kill ... 6
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Fri Fossilfarts 677
Dallas Adult Toy Store (Dec '11) Fri dallasdame 4

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match

Dallas Jobs

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dallas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dallas

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]