AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Stacy

Morristown, TN

#5927 Apr 9, 2012
Andrewk099 wrote:
<quoted text>
You take the TMTF/II first and then if you pass and are invited to an RJP(interview) you will take a PTA after they do their side of the interview, all it is is a few simple questions to see if you have problem solving capabilities and customer service skills.
Thanks so much for the information I am testing tomorrow!!!! I am hoping I do well.
mustang91

United States

#5928 Apr 10, 2012
Assuming you have the primtech position, once hired does att check your driver record while your employed with them or just the one time when they hire you?
Tres

Mansfield, TX

#5930 Apr 10, 2012
Hey guys, does anyone know how long it will take to hear something after the interview, i interviewed about 2 weeks ago and still havent heard back i passed the test and did the RJP and my interviewer told me it went really well and be expecting to hear from HR, should i give them a call or wait it out a bit longer?
PT SE Region 3

Pompano Beach, FL

#5931 Apr 10, 2012
mustang91 wrote:
Assuming you have the primtech position, once hired does att check your driver record while your employed with them or just the one time when they hire you?
After we finished the 7 weeks of school and when we were issued our trucks our yard manager took our licenses and ran a check on them. We all came up clean. And have not been checked since.

I guess it depends on your manager as to how often they check your driving record. One of our trainers said if you are issued any tickets in your personal vehicle, in his state a trick he uses is to pay the amount of the ticket plus $1 additional dollar. The state will then issue you a $1 refund. Rip the refund up and throw it out. Apparently at least in his state the ticket will then sit in a pending but paid status and did not show on his record. I do not recall what state this was and have no way to validate his claim.
PT SE Region 3

Pompano Beach, FL

#5932 Apr 10, 2012
Tres wrote:
Hey guys, does anyone know how long it will take to hear something after the interview, i interviewed about 2 weeks ago and still havent heard back i passed the test and did the RJP and my interviewer told me it went really well and be expecting to hear from HR, should i give them a call or wait it out a bit longer?
When I went through the hiring process it took 2-3 weeks after the RJP to receive a call from HR. She said I would receive another call later that day for a quick interview and they will offer me a starting salary. About an hour went by and that call came in. After we spoke for a couple minutes and I agreed to the stating hourly wage I was told HR would call me back.

1 hour later HR called and asked me what yard I would like to work in. I was given two choices both in my immediate are. Once I picked a yard I was told I would receive an email for my drug test and physical about a week later.

5 days passed why waiting for my drug test result. Once HR received them " passing of course" I was sent another email login with some terms and papers that needed to be digitally signed.

I was also sent an email on how to start the hireright background check. I would recommend to start finding your W-2's for the last 5 years. Starting and ending paystubs "if you have them" dates of any schooling, emplyment addresses, supervisor's names and # numbers , addresses you lived at, and auto tickets. This will expedite the process.

Once you pass your way through hireright I called my HR rep and she gave me a start date for school about 30 days later.

Hope I was able to fill some of those blanks.
blmoe32

United States

#5933 Apr 13, 2012
How much overtime and how many days per week is being offered for prem techs for the Atlanta area? What's the starting also? Thanks
Phaseshift

Moreno Valley, CA

#5934 Apr 13, 2012
Hey everyone,

I applied for AT&T Premises Technician for Los Angeles a few days ago and I got the email about scheduling my test date. I hear a lot of negative feed back from other premises techs on the internet but is it getting better?

I've got some military experience under my belt so I can deal with the BS better than others probably.

My question is, how much per hour can one expect to start at in Los Angeles? What kind of shifts are there? I'm trying to get my degree and will they try and work around my schedule?
PT Sacramento

Alameda, CA

#5935 Apr 13, 2012
mustang91 wrote:
Hey Mustang91 -

In the West region, you sign a waiver for HR to check your driving record every 3 months. They do an automatic quarterly run to find anything... You have an accident? Tell your manager BEFORE they find out through the system. Accidents in personal vehicles are not a big deal, mostly they are looking for DUIs. The rest they hold onto if they ever need to try and get rid of you.

You can opt out of the waiver, but then you have to pull your own record at your own expense every 90 days and give a copy to your manager.

Local policies and procedures may vary. ;)
PT Sacramento

Alameda, CA

#5936 Apr 13, 2012
Phaseshift wrote:
Hey everyone,
I applied for AT&T Premises Technician for Los Angeles a few days ago and I got the email about scheduling my test date. I hear a lot of negative feed back from other premises techs on the internet but is it getting better?
I've got some military experience under my belt so I can deal with the BS better than others probably.
My question is, how much per hour can one expect to start at in Los Angeles? What kind of shifts are there? I'm trying to get my degree and will they try and work around my schedule?
People may complain a lot about the union, but they do try and secure max starting pay for vets, just let your steward know when you land in a yard if you're below the top pay rate.
PT Sacramento

Alameda, CA

#5937 Apr 13, 2012
milwaukee pt wrote:
Good to see PT Sac still with us, you must have completed training by.now and working the.loiad, not what they.teach in training is it. I just.made T2 beginning of April, 3rd quintile with less than 6% overall repeats. Midwest has lots of basement, you will lose weight doing this job, most average 15-20 lbs lost in first 3 months out, be sure to stay hydrited, muscles stiff up and hurt if no fluids in system. Would like to hear how those who are pts.
It's pretty much what I was trained on... Made T1 a couple weeks back, it's been much more fun on auto dispatch (they wanted to keep us to a job or two a day at T0, to drag it out as long as possible, let us assist others and see more jobs that way before we counted).

Biggest differences: I discover new gear I need after I need it. Just little things like bbox keys (just wait til you see your first lock on a bbox), washers, exotic punchdown tools, dsl nids, etc. but our boss gives us pretty free access to upfront, and approves almost everything (even driving gloves). I keep a hammer and a crowbar on my truck, still haven't found a way to order those. Stud finders are also hard to come by, but basically required to do an iNID properly.

I think as management starts to see what garages and crews with good managers with field experience and well stocked vans can do compared to the ones where the techs and managers hate each other, things will get a lot better (at least for the new techs - it doesn't seem like they do a lot of upgrade investment on the field techs... Doing so would pull them off the load, after all, and T3s are still pretty rare, given the high turnover).

Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist, and it'll all bite me on the ass soon. But for now, things are pretty rosey (except the contract negotiation - I hate all the game playing between the union and management, with PTs as the pawns).

As for my stats, I'm in 3rd Quint as a T1, but I swear I can't figure out how I'm not at least a 2, I've been kicking butt up and down the road. I'm hoping I can keep it up, and get up there eventually.
Mel

Cocoa, FL

#5938 Apr 13, 2012
Okay, I took and passed the Prem Tech test in February, and I haven't heard anything after that...wtf? why would test me if they weren't planning on following up? Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

I'm in the Orlando area by the way.
Suave LA

Long Beach, CA

#5939 Apr 14, 2012
I am going for RJP/PTA, in few days. Please what do i expect on the assessment test? Please i need an urgent reply/advice. thanks suave
Technorcal

United States

#5940 Apr 14, 2012
RJP- Realistic Job Preview, AT&T Management talk to you about safety, customer service, dress code, and the possible overtime hrs and days worked per week.
Note: At my RJP three guys left after this talk.
PTA- Premises Technician Assessment, This is actually your job interview and you'll talk with one of the managers. They'll ask you several questions along these lines:
-How would you deal with an angry customer?
-Give me an example of how you dealt with something new and challenging on the job.
-Tell me why you think this job would be a good fit for you.
Along with your application the answers to these simple questions will determine the outcome.

Cebrian Street, W. Sacramento, CA
Phaseshift

Moreno Valley, CA

#5942 Apr 14, 2012
PT Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
People may complain a lot about the union, but they do try and secure max starting pay for vets, just let your steward know when you land in a yard if you're below the top pay rate.
What is the top pay rate for Cali, Los Angeles?

Who is a steward? And if I am below the top pay rate is that bad?

Also I'm doing the written tests, I think which is the first part of the hiring process. Aside from the link they gave me through the email what else should I study for?
milwaukee pt

Kenosha, WI

#5943 Apr 14, 2012
Open suggestion for all, please go back to page 275, mid nov 2011, and read all posts to present time. There are 20 posts per page, 15 pages for a total of 300 questions, comments and observations, covering the last five months many are very good. Most qustions you may have, have already many asked and answered. If you are serious about being a PT, please spend the time to review the above, if you still need to ask, please ask. Thank you.
Note: questions about pay vary by region your best source for this info is contact local cwa union, please be mindful most regions are in contract talks with att, so pay and benefits will be changing after new contracts are in place.
PT Sacramento

San Jose, CA

#5944 Apr 14, 2012
Phaseshift wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the top pay rate for Cali, Los Angeles?
Who is a steward? And if I am below the top pay rate is that bad?
Also I'm doing the written tests, I think which is the first part of the hiring process. Aside from the link they gave me through the email what else should I study for?
Top pay in Cali is between 20-22 somewhere. Bottom pay is just under 14.
Union stewards are your garages union reps. Other prem techs who get some extra pay for repping the union, and sitting in on meetings with management to make sure they play fair.
Stuff to study for the tmt-fii test:
http://www.aprtestingservices.com/business/wt...
That's a short mechanical aptitude test like on the tmt.
Also study 25pair color code and binary code if you have time.
Just google "tmt-f ii study", there are a few pointers for what to study and books to read.

Since: Nov 09

United States

#5945 Apr 14, 2012
Not to be negative, but why fool yourself? The company doesn't care about you one bit, and as soon as they find a way to pay someone less to do your job, they will. Face it- union or not, this will never be a long term career. It simply isn't like it was years ago for core employees. If you were a core employee that has been forced into a prem tech job, I understand your hopeful attitude. I wish you all the best, but face it- this company will drop you in an instant just like they did my entire crew over a year ago. Be the best that you can be- it doesn't matter. They can build a case on you and get rid of you and hire another hopeful employee at base pay and start the process all over again. It's not personal- it's just business. Have you forgotten how big this company is and what it's capable of? I wish all of you the best, but honestly I've been following this thread for years now and it is what it is. Go out on the street and see how many people you can find that have a positive opinion about this company. It sucks when you can't be proud to tell people who you work for. I personally found my layoff to be a blessing in disguise. Best wishes to you all.
Phaseshift

Moreno Valley, CA

#5946 Apr 15, 2012
PT Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
Top pay in Cali is between 20-22 somewhere. Bottom pay is just under 14.
Union stewards are your garages union reps. Other prem techs who get some extra pay for repping the union, and sitting in on meetings with management to make sure they play fair.
Stuff to study for the tmt-fii test:
http://www.aprtestingservices.com/business/wt...
That's a short mechanical aptitude test like on the tmt.
Also study 25pair color code and binary code if you have time.
Just google "tmt-f ii study", there are a few pointers for what to study and books to read.
Thank you! Say I start near top pay, how does overtime work and how is pay when doing over time?
milwaukee pt

United States

#5947 Apr 15, 2012
Regardless of where you start, overtime pay treatment is the same. The first eight hours of a Sunday is premium pay of time and a half, when entering your daily hours the first eight is regular time additional hours are recorded.as overtime the truth is only hours over 40 are overtime
Ex. 8 hrs sunday with 9 hrs the other four days you are scheduled you would think you have a total of 12 (8 plus 4) hous OT, you actually have 8 hours premium and 36 (4x9) regular hours. The same applies for holiday pay not counting to 40 hrs.
The pay rates are predetermined with automatic raises every six months till you max out, once maxed no additional raises tii next contract. If hired at bottom of training wage takes five years to max, hired at top of training wage takes two years to max.
Att PT is like entry level military, few will go more than four years. You start in, get training get out.
PT is not a career, it is a job.
Phaseshift

Moreno Valley, CA

#5948 Apr 15, 2012
milwaukee pt wrote:
Regardless of where you start, overtime pay treatment is the same. The first eight hours of a Sunday is premium pay of time and a half, when entering your daily hours the first eight is regular time additional hours are recorded.as overtime the truth is only hours over 40 are overtime
Ex. 8 hrs sunday with 9 hrs the other four days you are scheduled you would think you have a total of 12 (8 plus 4) hous OT, you actually have 8 hours premium and 36 (4x9) regular hours. The same applies for holiday pay not counting to 40 hrs.
The pay rates are predetermined with automatic raises every six months till you max out, once maxed no additional raises tii next contract. If hired at bottom of training wage takes five years to max, hired at top of training wage takes two years to max.
Att PT is like entry level military, few will go more than four years. You start in, get training get out.
PT is not a career, it is a job.
thank you that was very informative, how are the hours as in what time do you start and get off? Are there different shifts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Explore the weight of a border wall along the e... 23 min Penn Farts 84
Materia,Cajita, Spiritual Medium or Channeler o... (May '12) 3 hr Victorjacob 24
((>Last Post<)) (Dec '12) 7 hr Princess Hey 427
Word Game (Nov '12) 22 hr texas pete 192
News Suspected voter fraud in Grand Prairie fits sam... Mon JimGaddio 2
News Former Dallas mayor pro tem Don Hill laid to re... Mon Dr Richard Malouf 1
SHOCKING Reviews of Homeless Shelters in Dallas... (Feb '14) Mon Mont 56

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages