Since: Jul 11

Dacula, GA

#5450 Jul 7, 2011
Saved! Got a different job offer 1 day before the test so i canceled. Was willing to try it, but get to do what i have done for many years and that is a blessing.
Use to Care

Oceanside, CA

#5451 Jul 9, 2011
JerryJ wrote:
People, Remember in this day and age all things have changed. I owned my own communications business for nearly 15 years. I am more than willing to get my foot in the door at ATT as a Premises Tech. Sure, the money will be less than what I was bringing in, but without the aggrevation. Being your own Boss is not as glamorous as many people think. This type work is not for everyone. I happen to really enjoy it so it wo0rks for me. The biggest challenge from what I can gather is learning ATT's terminology. There is a tremendous chance for advancement as well. Good luck to all of you.
Tremendous chance of advancement? i haven't seen that in 5 years. Albeit a few techs have been promoted to Manager positions - a total of 2 out of 3 garages I'm associated with. For someone who's never done a day in this job your advice is interesting. Would like to hear from you 2 to 3 years after the fact. Good Luck.
JerryJ

San Antonio, TX

#5452 Jul 10, 2011
After operating my own company and Installing almost 3,000 HughesNet, DirecTV, Dish Network and Home Theater Systems, I for one am looking forward to the opportunity. Sure, the $ is not what I was accustomed to, but sometimes it's not only about the money. The 15 years of doing this should be a pretty decent foundation for The "Prem Tech" position. I don't mind working long hours. Six days each week and 12 hour days would be almost seem like part time after working for myself. My biggest issue will be that I'm a stickler for detail and have a tendency to spend too much time making it "perfect". Well, anyway, I'll go into it with a positive mind set and see where it leads. Good Luck to all of you.
iWearMyBootsTigh tTight

Humble, TX

#5453 Jul 10, 2011
The uverse dept is unstructured and consistently delivers new policies that may you are forced to comply even though they are clearly irrelevant and the premise technician is held responsible for the effects. Allow me to rant.
i.e. If a piece of equipment becomes defective within 10 days. It's your fault. If you've worked 10 days straight, you're still expected to work each day until management says you can leave based upon the amount of jobs to be dispatched on. Note that if there are 200 jobs in the workload they will still allow more jobs to come in regardless if it seems that they may not be completed because the technicians are held responsible. Say youre scheduled to clock out at 5. You have to ask to leave if it's 7. They may it seem as if you're asking to leave early.
Overall most techs just feel unappreciated. This company is not what it use to be. It's just a paycheck now. Not a company you would want to retire with. Wouldn't be surprised if the work ethic drops and the quality of service becomes comparable to contractor work like a Comcast/dish.
Ryan

Benton Harbor, MI

#5454 Jul 12, 2011
what are the management opportunities like if you start as a tech? I am currently managing a direct tv hsp... 7 years satellite inst. experience. Living in michigan.
Think Thrice

Snellville, GA

#5455 Jul 12, 2011
Flop N Ga wrote:
Saved! Got a different job offer 1 day before the test so i canceled. Was willing to try it, but get to do what i have done for many years and that is a blessing.

Is it something in the telecom field?
David

Austin, TX

#5456 Jul 14, 2011
took PTech test at ATT on 5/24/2011 in Austin Tx//they kept the ones that passed the test in the room(I was one of them)and we said when will you call us for interview for employment?//she said...oh just ck. your e-mail//well now it's 7/14/2011 and no e-mail, or call//checked website and ATT has another opening for PTech in Austin? WTF!//has this happened to anyone else out there?//thanks!
David

Austin, TX

#5457 Jul 14, 2011
p.s. did apply again for PT in Austin TX//don't know what's going on?//appreciate any insight....//again thanks!
Pairchanger

Madison, GA

#5458 Jul 14, 2011
So you've never been on an is phone trouble for several hours I guess, I've made the comment a number of times about "It would be easy just to do cable all day!". The Internet and phone troubles can kill you sometimes in this job. With your experience you will be fine though. Just don't come in as a cocky know it all and you'll be ok.
JerryJ wrote:
After operating my own company and Installing almost 3,000 HughesNet, DirecTV, Dish Network and Home Theater Systems, I for one am looking forward to the opportunity. Sure, the $ is not what I was accustomed to, but sometimes it's not only about the money. The 15 years of doing this should be a pretty decent foundation for The "Prem Tech" position. I don't mind working long hours. Six days each week and 12 hour days would be almost seem like part time after working for myself. My biggest issue will be that I'm a stickler for detail and have a tendency to spend too much time making it "perfect". Well, anyway, I'll go into it with a positive mind set and see where it leads. Good Luck to all of you.
Use to Care

Oceanside, CA

#5459 Jul 15, 2011
JerryJ wrote:
Come to Southern Ca buddy, you can work 7 days a week 10 to 14 hours a day. Hell that would be like a double vacation for you. We got word were back to 6 days after a 3 week break, Att doesnt give a rats ass about Prem Techs only the needs of the bonus for its Managers. If they really gave a shit about the customers they would hire enough techs to run things properly. The goal is to do more with less and fuck the consequences of Tech burnout or safety. Our customers are getting next day installs there is no backlog, Just ASSHOLE MANAGERS that want to impress the next level. Word is though we are getting racks and showers installed at the garage so we can roll back out without going home - that way we can do 18 hour shifts, now thats jib security.
Mrtech

United States

#5460 Jul 16, 2011
jerryj listen to "use to care" man its so damn true u can work til u die here but its not like it use too be with Sundays off. bak in the days Sundays/Monday were days off company wouldn't work and can still spend time with ur family. for any1 out there go to school if you can and do something you love. don't fall into this trap. good luck to everybody who reads my post.
Mike in LA

West Hills, CA

#5461 Jul 20, 2011
RJINW wrote:
<quoted text>
They will do the phone inerview next.I think since training is coming up soon the timeline may speed up a bit.On mine heres how it went:
1.Took tests mid march.
2.had RJP mid April.
3.Get CSA phone interview (any day now, i emailed and asked)
4.Will take drug and physical tests.
At the RJP the District 3 Uverse manager said the training would be in nashville May 17th i believe.he wanted it to be closer to him(lousiville) but the job i applied for is in TN.I'm not sure if they have training in more places other than Atlanta.
This article does the best at explaining the process for getting hired at At&t.
http://redgage.com/#rf:/links/hubguru/at-t-hi...
Sick of it

Lodi, CA

#5462 Jul 20, 2011
I can't believe that anyone reading this thread would still want this job. I'm 3.5 years in and my resume goes out on a daily basis. The rules change frequently, you go against numbers with math that makes no sense. Hardware failure is your fault, at&t doesn't give a shit about you.

Need to be off at a certain time? Think again...
Work Sunday thinking you'll get extra $$$? Think again...
Have a wife and kids? Kiss them goodbye...

They even go so far as to schedule you when you're on vacation. Forced 6 day weeks, but you only have 5 vacation days left? You'll be working one day that week.

This job fucking blows.
Tipnring

Palm Springs, CA

#5463 Jul 22, 2011
JerryJ wrote:
Whether or not you have a common denominator in the field as a PT, it doesnt make a difference, even if it was baking bread, if it is under ATT all I Can say is - run forrest RUN!, any fresh eager mind and yours is far from the first thinks you will come in with a go getter submissive employee With The YESSEM SIR Attitude will be in for a tough lesson in a first class ATT Street Beating down. there is no more good in being a Prem Tech As There is in being a street level prostitute, You Cant Defy , You Are always under threat, you will never promote, you will never have self respect and will be discarded when your tired utters of milk dry up and new fresh Yessm Sir type is there ready to hike up a skirt and bend over, Oh As far as CWA, forget it they are about as effective as herpes scabs, their leadership is worthless they get their fat confused with their Muscle, Muscle they no longer have and fat they have plenty of, Check out some of the fat lazy CWA execs. Piss on Cwa And Hope to see your union busted real SOON, Extortion of dues, Go earn your money, instead of trying to justify it, PTS were thrown under the bus by CWA, if you disagree, bring it on.
Rico357

Cleveland, OH

#5464 Jul 23, 2011
Just wait until next contract, things will change for the better for PT's, trust me, the CWA will bargine for better PT rules and a possible group 1 type position like Uverse Maintenance group that is the rumor here in the midwest, the CWA national is not loyal to Craft it's all about numbers and paying dues and by next contract PT's will outnumber craft exspecially here in the midwest. And the group that has more dues comming in wins with the CWA it's all about money with them, most members bitch and complain but the top guys in the national and probably your local know it will go no futher than complaining, what most of you need to do is make a big change at your local level and then start changing things at the national level.
Tipnring

Palm Springs, CA

#5465 Jul 24, 2011
The scenario if goes with PT's across the board happens and all the other OSP jobs are combined, which by the way will most probably happen and was no accident, it was planned and well though out by att many many years ago, one priority objective by att is to break the union, As They already are very well broken at this point and it at least would take generations of careers just to get back where they should be today, cwa lost so much momentum and have backwards themselves that they could never catch up, let alone gain a controlling position, It was a slap in the face what CWA did not do and lay down to the substandard contact that they did, oh by the way all of those agonizing months with No contract , no media, no demonstrations or job actions, And NO STRIKE? any idiot can see who won that battle, and CWA was not buying the drinks at that outcome, All the chess pieces are lined up and without any doubt it's checkmate for CWA, The Union will soon be picking up their bus ticket, if you think waiting for next contact is a good thing, Think again, Things will not change, they since have not, remember, "You Plant Beans You Get Beans!" .... You Dont Get Asparagus! YOU GET BEANS! last contract they had their chance and CWA let it drip down their mothers leg, Shame on you, I say prorate the dues and give them back to the slaving slob employees of att at least the PT's, cause as a union or any other enterprising entity, if you dont give what one pays for, refund their money! If You go to Macys and pay for a pair of shoes and you only get shoe laces, you go to the refund counter and get your money back! For Christ sake this union is not even capable of facilitating and a getting a first step grievance done. CWA Your bus ticket is waiting!
NoClue

Schaumburg, IL

#5466 Jul 28, 2011
I highly doubt things will get better with the new contract. It seems like AT&T really wants to fold core into uverse ASAP, and it's likely that core will bring in their bump rates. So even though you may have the most experience as a uverse tech, they bring their tenure with them. So you will have fun being laid off, or forced out.
I'm under IBEW not CWA. Starting pay I got $620/mo, and in my area no one ever really goes over 60 hours. Most techs clock 40-50 per week. Everyone is making their numbers easily(adding aerial drop work to every work order which adds 30 minutes to the work time). But we work from the pole on in, not from the NID in like some areas.
Just finishing up my Telephony training week now. I think next week I move into PT IW, then the week after that is VOIP and INID, then Customer ED for the last week.
The most retarded part for me though is the discounts. How is it that we get 19% off of ATT wireless, and get a BETTER discount with VZW(not that I'm complaining, I hate ATT wirekess).
Also the Uverse discounts suck. With Comcast I got free service. With Uverse we get 25% off of TV, an almost non-existent discount on internet.
I'm just gonna bust my ass, get as much OT as I can and put cash in the bank. Eventually core will take my job, I'll get laid off and sit on my unemployment till something better comes along.
mra1732

O Fallon, MO

#5467 Jul 29, 2011
Shangyman wrote:
Well I just got called in to take a PTA aka realistic job assessment or whatever in Los Angeles. I started the whole process in April, got a test exemption on May 2, 2011, and I will be doing the assessment July 1, 2011. I don't know how much longer it will be till I'm in a training class(assuming I pass the assessment). The way you guys talk about this job makes me a little hesitant about going through with it. I need a job really bad though, and I'm only 23. Is there anyone who has anything positive to say about the prem tech position?
I am a pt in Missouri, what you here is true. If you r single and dont care to have a life of your own and live for att go for it. other wise run while u can!
JKL

Austin, TX

#5468 Jul 30, 2011
I'm currently in the hiring process with ATT for the PT position and also for Customer Service Rep here in Austin, Tx. I've already pass the CSR test and going to a Face to Face interview. Which one would you go with just considering salary and the possible advancement in the future.
Thanks
JK
Prem Tech - Midwest

Washington, DC

#5469 Jul 31, 2011
JKL wrote:
I'm currently in the hiring process with ATT for the PT position and also for Customer Service Rep here in Austin, Tx. I've already pass the CSR test and going to a Face to Face interview. Which one would you go with just considering salary and the possible advancement in the future.
Thanks
JK
I would like to state for the record, the job of a Prem Tech could be better. I actually have been working for them for about 4 weeks now and after training you are expected to hit the ground running. Mind you, those 8 weeks of training dont matter, maybe wire week, but nothing much after that. Management doesnt care and the reason they dont is because they are too stressed out by their bosses. I spent one week without a gas card for my truck and my manager told me to use my own money.. Really? Ride week was a joke, the guy I rode with just talked crap about the job. You know what, I'm quitting as I write this. 12 hr shifts, no support, teammates ridicule you, and getting written up while on probation for Hpna compliance and asking questions never answered in training... FML...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Texas the Uneducated, Ignorant Rednecks Para... (Dec '12) 7 hr Iceman 12
Were Nurses Set Up? 7 hr Michael Young 7
price of living in Texas 8 hr Michael Young 12
Single. 39 male. seeking woman, I'm rebuilding ... 8 hr Michael Young 6
big bonds in dallas fed court house 10 hr Michael Young 2
Dallas County may open family leave to gay workers 10 hr Michael Young 7
Police ID bullet-riddled body in creek (Jul '06) 10 hr Michael Young 13

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match