AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
ST MIAMI2

Hollywood, FL

#5429 Jul 1, 2011
Good for you motars....I really wish you well, but please let us know in 8 mths how you are doing, I also prided myself in the job.....but the company had no pride in me, as I was just a number to them...and a liability when you have a voice.
Pairchanger

Madison, GA

#5430 Jul 1, 2011
Been doing it for 3 years. The job is as bad as everyone on here says it is. The funny thing is that it could be a really good job minus a few things. Things like 11 days working straight, never any weekends and not ever knowing what time you will get home ruin this job. Its also nothing but negativity from co workers to the managers morning meetings to all of your customers that complain about anything day in and day out. Bitch bitch bitch then you get home and your woman complains about you working to much. The negativity gets really old. This company holds you accountable for everything yet let's dispatch schedule 27 afternoon installs for 12 technicians. You arrive at the customers house 2 hours late, listen to them bitch about it before they eat dinner with their family in front of you, install their shit, work till 9pm, get home and your kids are already asleep. Then go in to work in the morning to be written up and suspended for failing that customer survey cause they were just satisfied. It' s all a bunch of finger pointing bullshit that always winds up being your fault. Funny thing is they want more and more every other week - the responsibility for us goes up every month and there's more and more to do - install, cronic checklist, hpna jdsu test, screen shots blah blah, but they keep raising the numbers and most importantly the pay never increases. This job gets shitier everyday people!!!!! They're probably sitting around right now thinking of one more way to make our lives miserable. Att should be ashamed of themselves .......... I'm done pissing myself off writing about this shit ass greedy company I work for.
HookedOnKoolaid

United States

#5431 Jul 1, 2011
I've seen many mixed feelings about this job, mostly negative feelings though. Reading all these Negative Feelings towards this position is really sad... why?

I applied for this Position; AT&T Premises Technician (U-verse) and I'm currently in the background/drug screen stage of being hired.

I spent 40K on a college degree in computer science, and AT&T is the first place to even take a look at me even though I have no true on job training. Everywhere else wants Experience (3+ yrs.) I would really hate to start with AT&T and all these things being said on this forum end up being true. I just want to do work that involves technology!

I'm currently a Security Guard, makeing 9$ hr watching the front desk of a corp business...

I reside in Alabama. Does Anyone know if the AT&T Premises Technician job pays MORE than 9$ hr in this state? I keep reading $12-$20 but I could have sworn that the Dispatch Center Manager at the Realistic Job Preview for the position said its start @$9. I might be remembering incorrectly though.

Also he said that the Premises Techs here Will be part of the UNION. They are suppose to be signing the paper in the next few months.

If you work for AT&T in this Position in my area or close. Could you email me? I would love to know more about the job before I quiet the easy one I have... email is koolaid.junkie[at]gmail.com
Mom of PT

Atlanta, GA

#5432 Jul 2, 2011
HookedOnKoolaid wrote:
I reside in Alabama. Does Anyone know if the AT&T Premises Technician job pays MORE than 9$ hr in this state?[at]gmail.com
My son works in Birmingham, started at $15/hr. but that was because he is former military. Maybe they will bump you because of your college degree. Plan on working your butt off, not having much of a life, learning everything you can, then use the experience to move on. Good luck.

Since: Nov 09

Tomball, TX

#5433 Jul 2, 2011
John wrote:
Man I am going to take the test tomorrow but after reading all of this crap I don't know if i want too. I am 21 and have 2 degrees in networking. But I have been working at Kroger for 5 years. I am the Asst. meat manager but i only make $8.05 hr but 2 weeks vac. and 4 Personal days a years. Plus $20 hr 6 weeks a years. What do you think i should do???
Please stay at Kroger. Do not kid yourself with this greedy company. I would never go back to work for them for any amount of money.
Bctitans1

Lake Worth, FL

#5434 Jul 3, 2011
Is there anybody out there that can give me some insight into how the phone that they give you works? Can it be used for personal use after work hours or only business?
ct prem

United States

#5435 Jul 3, 2011
Bctitans1 wrote:
Is there anybody out there that can give me some insight into how the phone that they give you works? Can it be used for personal use after work hours or only business?
Its not for personal use
Bctitans1

Lake Worth, FL

#5436 Jul 3, 2011
ct prem wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not for personal use
So you have to have 2 cell phones? Lame!

Since: Jul 11

Atlanta, GA

#5437 Jul 4, 2011
Gotta love google! Sat here the last hour or 2 reading the comments on the topic, I applied last week for the PT position and received an email friday to go to the testing session this week. Glad i ran across this forum, good insight to what i am getting myself into,:(. But I have to take the job regardless. I have done telecom work for 13 years and it is nearly impossible to find anyone hiring in Ga. Actually Att PT is my first offer in over a year. My question is do they pay OT, saw where someone posted they didn't? Thought in Ga anything over 40hr's is mandatory OT pay. Also how do percentages work, affect your pay if you are below?

Atlanta, GA

#5439 Jul 4, 2011
Anyone know of any other job leads in my area before i go into this? Lawrenceville, GA. You guys have me thinking it is not such a good idea.
Coool

United States

#5440 Jul 4, 2011
Coool
Jim Nash

Knoxville, TN

#5441 Jul 4, 2011
if it is anything like I went through with them it is not what they say it is. I went to the interview and they wanted me to go door to door for the job I had applied for which was supposed to be nothing like that. I felt jerked around and I was mad about it. I won't bother with them again. they also wanted me to drive my own vehicle while at work. forget it http://nabacar.com
Pairchanger

Duluth, GA

#5442 Jul 4, 2011
Flop N Ga wrote:
Gotta love google! Sat here the last hour or 2 reading the comments on the topic, I applied last week for the PT position and received an email friday to go to the testing session this week. Glad i ran across this forum, good insight to what i am getting myself into,:(. But I have to take the job regardless. I have done telecom work for 13 years and it is nearly impossible to find anyone hiring in Ga. Actually Att PT is my first offer in over a year. My question is do they pay OT, saw where someone posted they didn't? Thought in Ga anything over 40hr's is mandatory OT pay. Also how do percentages work, affect your pay if you are below?
Of course you get overtime and usually alot of it, anything after 40, they have strict percentage numbers that if you dont make you will be driven out. As mentioned the work isnt that bad its just the schedule that sucks.

Atlanta, GA

#5443 Jul 4, 2011
Pairchanger wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you get overtime and usually alot of it, anything after 40, they have strict percentage numbers that if you dont make you will be driven out. As mentioned the work isnt that bad its just the schedule that sucks.
Ty for the reply, I read a good bit of your recent post on this topic "Very good info". I'm used to pressure and deadlines so I'm going to give it a go. I worked for a company a few years ago that was production percentage based, If you were below 92% your pay went down to lowest pay scale and took 6 months to readjust pending your current %. So that's why i was wondering how it works with PT. Kinda excited about the OT really, Hope it will last until the economy improves.
Cheetoe8

Marietta, GA

#5444 Jul 4, 2011
I live in dacula and am a pt it's not that bad just the summers are long I work 60 to 70 hr weeks and as long as you do what they want you are good plus the contract can't make it any worse I hope

Atlanta, GA

#5445 Jul 4, 2011
Cheetoe8 wrote:
I live in dacula and am a pt it's not that bad just the summers are long I work 60 to 70 hr weeks and as long as you do what they want you are good plus the contract can't make it any worse I hope
Hey neighbor, How long have you been a PT? I have put in many 50+ hours within 3 days doing PBX and Voip system cut-overs + training, so the hours shouldn't be that bad to me i hope. I guess by "contract" you are referring to a union contract? I have never worked for or around a union so i don't know what it entails, guess i will see, Unless any of you would like to clue me in on what to expect! I'm new to Topix, is there a way to add friends here?
Bctitans1

Lake Worth, FL

#5446 Jul 5, 2011
Do the Prem Techs get holidays off?
JerryJ

United States

#5447 Jul 5, 2011
People, Remember in this day and age all things have changed. I owned my own communications business for nearly 15 years. I am more than willing to get my foot in the door at ATT as a Premises Tech. Sure, the money will be less than what I was bringing in, but without the aggrevation. Being your own Boss is not as glamorous as many people think. This type work is not for everyone. I happen to really enjoy it so it wo0rks for me. The biggest challenge from what I can gather is learning ATT's terminology. There is a tremendous chance for advancement as well. Good luck to all of you.
Fired as a Prem Tech

Houston, TX

#5448 Jul 6, 2011
Lots of comments both negative and positive. I can only speak from my own experience. Hopefully, my contribution is helpful. I had about 4 years and 9 months in the position as a PT here in Houston. I stuck with the company thru it's hardest days when the troubleshooting was horrendous and there was a requirement to work until they told you it was okay to go home no matter how many hours you had already put in. I experienced the company buy in attitude and the company frustration attitude flipping back and forth between the two for years. I came to the conclusion that I must work my best as though working for my Heavenly Father. By that time, it was not much I could do to turn my numbers around and I'm not sure that I even cared to. The PT position is hard from many aspects but the work is not really the real complaint. The constant push for numbers, the unending push for clearing a work pool that fights to keep techs working into late evening, and the stress of weak job security due to ever changing rules and increasing disciplinary action against technicians all create an atmosphere of stress and mistrust. AT&T's turnover rate has apparently dropped for techs quitting but it is still high now because many techs are being fired for issues of non-compliance. If you take this job, you have your work cut out for you. Trust in God. Fight the tendency to complain and do your best to be positive. But, keep your eyes and ears open. You cannot be blind at a company that posts record profits throughout the entire recession but says that it is losing money and can't afford to keep paying for full benefits. Don't get me wrong. The benefits package is still great compared to most others but this speaks to an obvious lie that is being perpetrated by the company. God bless!
Fired as a Prem Tech

Houston, TX

#5449 Jul 6, 2011
P. S. -- Inside info. The top pay for PT in this region is $20.01/hour. Max guaranteed hours per week is at 32. The most hours they can require you to work is 60 hours per week holidays and paid time off excluded. You must work your scheduled shift even if you meet the 60 hour max. You will typically work 50+ hours on day shift and less than 40 hours on night shift. Contract negotiations with the union in this region will not take place until 1 year after all the other regions begin negotiations. You will pay $75 per month in the last year of the contract for a family. $35 for an individual. Your medical deductible per year is $350 individual/ $700 family and then you pay 90% of all costs. Hospitalization tops at $3000 family per year, I believe though that may not be entirely correct. No. There is little upward mobility except into management. There is also little lateral mobility. Many jobs in similar fields such as CST's/install and repair techs are being closed down and surplused into prem tech positions. You get to go home when told or if you can get your manager to okay your release. There are a number of labor relations complaints in progress now but they are currently being ignored or sidestepped by the company. Know what you are getting into.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote for Addison Agen on NBC's The Voice...TONIGHT 10 hr PookiePoo1963 1
OneBody in Yahawashi, Dallas TX: Don't watch an... Sun Cshebrew 4
Sarah Elizabeth Pyle Photography Sat Bella Gucci 2
Mayor Mike Rawlings Sexually Harassed me Dec 6 Fire the bums 2
News Will Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez become t... Dec 6 Fire the bums 2
Tdal Dec 5 Gunner214 1
Greg Knight Dead Dec 5 Mike Casey 1

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance