Scott

Reading, MA

#5283 Apr 25, 2011
jeff wrote:
No problem... I would say it's more logic than mechanical with a lot of "sight math" like pushing on the short end of a teeter-totter is A. Harder or B. Easier.
There are a lot of questions relating to troubleshooting line segments... IE: they give you a phone line on poles and label the segments A-G. They say there is a fault on the line; where do you start testing between A and G? The answer is the middle. And so on and so forth getting a little bit more complicated in each answer. There are a number of these questions so they must put a lot of emphasis on segment troubleshooting - even though we won't climb poles or deal with outside wiring.
The hardest questions, and there are only a few of them - are about counting using a weird sort of binary system... I can't explain it easily but you'll see - you have a few easy questions about what pattern of jumper wires would produce the desired result and then you have to select the right answer - then there is a really hard one at the end and I sort of took an educated guess on that one.
I took the basic electronics test a while back and pased it... that was pretty tough but I bought a book on basic electronics and that helped me a lot... not that it is needed here.
Jeff,
Can you tell me about the Prem Tech job in Ft. Lauderdale? Is it ever gonna be CWA bargained for work like the Service Tech position? What is top pay and the hours like? I'm a laid off Verizon guy from Boston, previous IBEW member so I know the line of work. I passed the PT test and was wondering if AT&T Prem Tech is even worth the effort. Thanks.
Andrew

Memphis, TN

#5284 Apr 25, 2011
AT&T is the worst company to work for right now. I was a outside plant tech.(OPT)with a term position that's the key word. TERM. Was laid off in a year, and was told they have no intentions to hire any more full-time employes from the outside. Wouldn't advise it if you have another chance at something permanent.
yup

Washington, IN

#5285 Apr 26, 2011
Frito2anywhere wrote:
Is anyone in here familiar w/ the telecommunication technician field or know about a AT&T position called a "Premises Technician"? I JUST TOOK THIS HARD ASS TEST for this position and they would even disclose the salary. The test was like 30-40 outta 60(read the paragraph that explains a diagram, than answer 2-3) questions(relating to the type of work you would be doing if hired)in 60 min...WTF!!
The pay is not what these other comments are telling you. Top pay is just over $20 an hour and the OT is unlimited, its a great job for someone that is willing to work.
ct prem

United States

#5286 Apr 26, 2011
yup wrote:
<quoted text>
The pay is not what these other comments are telling you. Top pay is just over $20 an hour and the OT is unlimited, its a great job for someone that is willing to work.
why quote to a 3 year old post lol
Spliced Diced

Palm Springs, CA

#5287 Apr 26, 2011
yup wrote:
<quoted text>
Be Careful now, you have no idea on the dungeon of death that awaits you, They can pay you $30 an hour and you would wish you sold your body on the streets, I can not even begin to tell you the mental abuse and the physical strain you will put yourself through, let alone your family if you have one, You will be lucky to ever be shaven and clean,you will smell like a sewer rat, your att uniform will always look like puke hamper laundry and your best friend will be a Mcdonalds cup to take your piss in and a box of baby wipes to use in place of a shower, The job is thankless your boss will be a scumbag, the guidlines and goals of your responsibilities will be so out of reach that suicide looks like an option,let alone the Union will shovel shit down your throat and rape your wallet of dues, with a promise of I will respect you in the morning and I wont cum in your mouth, hey gives one a whole different perspective of $20 an hour, You will have more respect collecting cans.
Managers Headache

Bakersfield, CA

#5288 Apr 27, 2011
I am from California... We not make 22.30 after getting our great cost of living raise. Our union collects about $50 a month from me now. Someone else on here said if you have another lead take it...If you dont wanna deal with long hours stress and ALOT of political BS... You dont want this job. If you have families. You will not see them...Currently we are on mandatory 10hr days 6 days week and that is with loaning out 15 of our 60 guys a week to other areas 3 weeks at a time. Our local union I can say has backed us up here. But its a union in whole that rapes us when it comes to bargaining our contract. The only thing I have to look forward to is the educational courses we can take to either help us transfer to another better paying position that is if you can find one that isnt being giving to someone who already has been laid off. If you want a pretty accurate idea of what your getting into with being a prem tech. Go to youtube and pull up att prem tech and watch the cartoons created by PREM TECHs and you will see what we deal with on a regular basis.
This is to funny

UK

#5289 Apr 28, 2011
Dave wrote:
Just got hired for prem tech position.$16.86 to start, paid training with an awesome company. Hard to listen to all the whiners when the economy is so horrible. CWA, good benefits, long hours? not a problem. I've been worried about getting laid off for two years so worrying if I'll be making too much $$ in overtime is like a fantasy. AT&T has plenty of customers and cash, they just bought T-Mobile, so it's awesome to go to work for a company that you know will be around for a long, long time. Good luck to all applying and never let someone else's bad review influence you. You make your own way on your own merrit.(I never read movie reviews either :))
You think $16.86 and hour is good money. You got to be out of your dumb aXX mind. Your the reason why us highly skilled techs cant get paid what we deserve. Because dumb aXX people like you take positions for crap money. Go suck a dead mans dXXX!!!!
new guy

Denton, TX

#5290 Apr 30, 2011
I'm from the Dallas area and just did my drug test and physical test yesterday for the prem tech position. Does anyone know what happens next? I heard that there is also a customer service test? how is this test done and what kinds of questions to they ask? If anybody can give me some idea on how to prep for this, I'd appreciate it!
ct prem

Hanover, MD

#5291 Apr 30, 2011
new guy wrote:
I'm from the Dallas area and just did my drug test and physical test yesterday for the prem tech position. Does anyone know what happens next? I heard that there is also a customer service test? how is this test done and what kinds of questions to they ask? If anybody can give me some idea on how to prep for this, I'd appreciate it!
if you did a drug test and physical already your hired. congrats
RJINW

Goose Creek, SC

#5292 Apr 30, 2011
new guy wrote:
its a phone interview.How you handled diff situations in the past.
prem 3 years cali

Lodi, CA

#5293 May 3, 2011
This is to funny wrote:
<quoted text>
You think $16.86 and hour is good money. You got to be out of your dumb aXX mind. Your the reason why us highly skilled techs cant get paid what we deserve. Because dumb aXX people like you take positions for crap money. Go suck a dead mans dXXX!!!!
dave is starting by sucking dxxk then he will say i like it in the axs please dum fxck
ST MIAMI

Miami, FL

#5294 May 3, 2011
The PT position won't be so bad if there was going to be TRUE union protection against bad company regulations. The union was good to me when I was core, but even with a contract as thick as a bible, the core are all loosing their jobs now.
Also if there was room for advancment for the PTs, it would be better. As a PT, you can only become a 1st Level, but you must sign the medical forms agreeing that you will undergo the procedure of SPINAL REMOVAL surgery and BOTOX your lips for better axx-kissing. If you take the job, I wish you well as some people can handle it better than others, but PLEASE dont become the managers pawn and rat your brothers out for the sake of reconization and a pat on the back. Divide and conquor is att's motto.
Used to care

Oceanside, CA

#5295 May 4, 2011
Want to hear a good one, its Ethics Week at ATT. Ironic isn't it, as this has to be the most unethical Company there has ever been, at least in it's treatment of Prem Techs. I wish who ever the head Guru of the Corporate world of Prem Techs was, would go undercover boss for a week. That way he or she, could see the mess they have created from the Corporate Level. More then likely though they already know. Our Managers actually do a hell of a job from the situation they are in. Bad karma is Corporate driven. Anybody thinking of taking this job, should read all these post from across the country, all pointing out the same issues. To top it off 6 day weeks, and 10 hour plus days are now the norm. There must me some legal backdrop to us working 7 days a week or they would do it. Install orders are a month out and we are late, sometimes by days to our jobs. Asked when we are going to see relieve, Managers reply we are not getting any help. Seems to me Corporate types think this is obviously acceptable. I guess the point is they can work us till we drop, well done ATT. Never worked for a Company all the employees hated with such a passion, welcome to U-Verse.
Tver1000

Bowling Green, KY

#5296 May 5, 2011
Just wondering how your career has developed with AT&T Bruce Campbell? I'm interested in the same premise position 3 years after your post.
Bruce Campbell wrote:
I just got hired for this position. I start at $13.08 an hour and the top pay for this position as of now is $16.75 an hour. I'm assuming that by the time I get to top pay it will be higher than that. I did get hired at the 3 year pay scale because of my schooling, so it will take 2 years, instead of 5 to get to top pay. I will be the first to admit that the pay is not on par with the other jobs at AT&T but hopefully, now that I have a foot in the door, I will be able to bid into a higher paying position after a few years.
By the way, I live in the St.louis area.
wow

United States

#5297 May 6, 2011
I have been offered a job with them as a PT...scary....lol
vinny

Oklahoma City, OK

#5298 May 6, 2011
good luck keep us updated . you should make a daily blog so you can keep us informed. lol nosuh
Tver1000

United States

#5299 May 6, 2011
Just took the premise tech test at Pearsonvue in South Florida. I used the Barron's mechanical aptitude and Spatial Rations study guide ($20) at bookstore, it helped me with gears, pulleys and elect switches, maybe some other minor questions. All in all the book helped! so now I just wait for the next step. Still don't know pay grade or whether benefits are offered?
Not expecting much on the pay side but if benefits are not offered, this husband and father of 2 will Not be changing careers.
Lostcase

Greenville, SC

#5300 May 6, 2011
So I am going to be interviewed by the local supervisor for the PT position. One of the questions that I was asked before my interview was: "Do you know how to drive a Manual Transmission?".

I was caught off guard and answered yes, even though I do not.

Is this going to eventually catch up to me? I thought that these vans that the technicians drove were automatic.
11 year Qwest guy

United States

#5301 May 7, 2011
Was wanting to move to Savannah Ga and be a prem tech. I took the test and passed. I make 29.65/ hr right now. What should I expect to get paid from ATT since I have been a service tech with Qwest for 11 years? I have almost 5 weeks a year vacation with benefits also. Is it worth my effort ,will they honor my time? I need warmer climate.
11 year Qwest guy

United States

#5302 May 7, 2011
By the way I work from the crossbox to the jack also. Will that change . Also I'm in the CWA .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Continental Parts Company (Jul '14) 13 hr Kenneth Mosley 20
Texans don't know what they're drinking 13 hr Ken 1
"The blackest land and the whitest people" (Mar '08) 14 hr KDM 79
joshua wayne bevill (Oct '10) 21 hr Big Tex 46
Review: Alden Short Inc (Dec '10) Fri LORI M 46
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) Thu SusieQD 1,001
Word Game (Nov '12) Thu SexSusie 152

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match