AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
RJINW

Mount Pleasant, SC

#5118 Jan 4, 2011
Volare wrote:
can anyone tell me what is the time limit to get time bridged from one bell co to another?
I know someone who had 19 yrs at one of the Bells up north,layed off,came south worked a few years then surplused again for a year.Got 14 yrs of time back after starting as Prem tech.
T Thorne

San Jose, CA

#5119 Jan 5, 2011
IL PREM Guy wrote:
If any prem tech puts their own gas money in a truck that is their loss. BTW JfF How long have you been doing U-Verse installs??????
Yeah 0 days...... yep you are an authority on this position arent you.
Please define these terms for me smart guy:
JDSU Just a Stupid meter
I.F.D Kinda like UFO but really a laptop
VRAD Expensive piece of junk with some fiber in it spliced to the SAI via copper
DSLAM thing all prem tech want to do to their 2nd line
SAI Big word for bbox
LOOP LENGTH Usually too far for 32 meg service
JEP I think thats a tv show? what is jeopardy
GCAS some useless way to disp on jobs ...usually slower than a slug
WHAT IS A DIPLEXER? Like a splitter but nothing like a splitter
NID = SNI = stupid box on side of house
RG= modem=router=gateway= must be swapped out 10 x before working properly
CPE = defective
P2R= free cash money son!
Pleasetell me the procedure the prem tech should do when an unconditioned pair contains a bridge tap according to the QCC test on the LSBBT.= tell the customer some lazy ass mst is going to be maybe some time this week.
PS the sit ups are part of the physical you take after you have been accepted for the PT position. Sit ups will not prepare u for this job....just buy some lube and u will be prepared
ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED IN YOUR QUOTE TUFF GUY
Newbie PT

Greensburg, KY

#5120 Jan 6, 2011
Hello all. I just took the AT&T Prem Tech test and passed in Louisville, KY. The ad I responded to mentioned the starting pay would range from $360/week to $600/week. Can anybody here tell me the requirement for higher pay? I understand it depends upon experience. How much does a degree in computers and electrical engineering boost your stock? Also, if there are any other PT's here from Louisville, how long after passing the test did they contact you? Any reply is welcome. Thanks.
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5121 Jan 7, 2011
I passed on the AT&T position in Atlanta and went to Brighthouse Cable here in Brevard County, FL.- best decision I ever made. I had experience as a contractor coming in so I started as a tech 2. I have received two raises in six months (6%) and I am getting ready for another promotion to tech 3 (8% raise) and then to PC technician ($3 hr raise) this year. On top of that I get awesome medical benefits, free tv and Internet service, matching 401k to 10% of my pay, a pension, a free vehicle to take home, as much overtime as I want to take, and BH is paying for my A+, MCSE and telecom engineering bachelors degree starting this year. All of the above is equal to @$12 hr on top of my pay and I actually have a life and don't have to work 14 hr days anymore like I did as a contractor.
A REAL Union Member

Anaheim, CA

#5122 Jan 7, 2011
Newbie PT. You should take your degree and use it where it counts. This position is crap work and in 3 to 6 months you'll be hating life as a PT. The truth is they want you as dumb as they can find you. I knew people with 10 years verizon and telco experience turned away and people who worked at walmart get hired. Notice most of the PT's are young guys most likely just outta high school. I know a big wig with at&t in the LA metro area and he said that no one in the company respects this position simply cause they fill the postion with "low lifes". Young kids too dumb to realize they are getting ripped off. C'mon Newbie you have a degree figure it out! Go join a REAL union and learn a REAL trade! Dont waste your time to achieve the american dream wich is no longer found at att as a PT.
A REAL Union Member

Anaheim, CA

#5123 Jan 7, 2011
WOW vince happy about $12 an hour. I make $28 an hour plus benifits! Now that is a real trade in a real union. My union has a kick ass apprenticeship who builds up only the best! I just dont want to see my brothers struggle like I did when i first started this industry.$12 an hour is not enough for the danger and the customer crap you have to put up with!
A REAL Union Member

Anaheim, CA

#5124 Jan 7, 2011
By the way, I work from 6AM to 2PM everyday! Loving it!
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5125 Jan 7, 2011
...... I work a rotating schedule of two weekends on with Sunday being 1.5x all day, then get a four day weekend off (thurs - sun), then get the next two weekends off after that and then it starts all over again. I typically get 45 - 55 hours per week which usually gets me to @$500 -$750 per week take home pay. Holidays are usually 2.5x or 3x pay depending on the situation. Brighthouse has not laid anyone off due to the economy in over 25 years even though people have been let go based on their bad performance but that usually takes more than a year or two to happen. The point of this is don't take a position that you don't know where you'll end up at in a few years, you're happy now working all of these hours but you'll be exhausted after time goes by and you have not made any advancement up the ladder or worse - wondering about your position. Choose a position that's a career and not just a job - which AT&T seems like it's become.
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5126 Jan 7, 2011
A Real Union Member - that was $12 an hour ON TOP of my hourly pay. Keep believing that union has your best interests in mind and I'll keep enjoying my job security, the four day weekend i'm enjoying right now and my sleep at night not worrying about contract negotiations and being surplussed.
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5127 Jan 7, 2011
.... and I'll also know my 8 to 5 position will be there when I wake up for years to come.
arkitip

Stuart, FL

#5128 Jan 7, 2011
A REAL Union Member wrote:
Newbie PT. You should take your degree and use it where it counts. This position is crap work and in 3 to 6 months you'll be hating life as a PT. The truth is they want you as dumb as they can find you. I knew people with 10 years verizon and telco experience turned away and people who worked at walmart get hired. Notice most of the PT's are young guys most likely just outta high school. I know a big wig with at&t in the LA metro area and he said that no one in the company respects this position simply cause they fill the postion with "low lifes". Young kids too dumb to realize they are getting ripped off. C'mon Newbie you have a degree figure it out! Go join a REAL union and learn a REAL trade! Dont waste your time to achieve the american dream wich is no longer found at att as a PT.
This is the exact opposite of anything I've seen regarding this position, period. I see far more newbie prem techs that are massively overqualified for the job being hired on due to the state of the economy.

A tip for potential new hires - don't put too much stock into the opinions of people on the internet (including mine). Your mileage will vary GREATLY depending on your district, region within your district, your 2nd level mgr, your 1st level mgr, etc.
Some areas may be slammed, and the hours are just out of control. My area isn't like that, and I've personally been working 40-45 hour weeks since October (barring the bit of madness because of an MDU contract project during December).

There's a LOT of issues with how things are run and what the Company feels is important. My biggest grievance is with dispatch and load control, but I know that will NEVER change. All techs in my area are 8-5 techs, but the clocks stay open until 6-7ish, which means jobs can drop into the work load PAST your scheduled shift. It makes absolutely no sense, and I personally feel you should not have to dispatch AFTER your scheduled off time (i.e. overtime should be the result of a difficult job taking you longer, not too many jobs being scheduled).

Now for the part that will piss people off. If you read a complaint about the ridiculous or impossible numbers you're supposed to make - ignore it. The numbers aren't difficult to make. You don't have to cut corners to make them like the message board general consensus seems to be.
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5129 Jan 7, 2011
I feel for the techs at AT&T. Seems like a lot of good guys are being led in circles and being taken advantage of. We've recently hired some ex AT&T employees and they all seem to be quality people, personally and professionally. I hope you guys can open your eyes to the policies that take advantage of you and realize that your unions and management are just trying to squeeze out some more of your experience to get some numbers in place and then it's time to bring in the replacements at a fraction of what you were paid. My advise is to get off that sinking ship and find something that provides you with some security and quality of life - even if it pays less than AT&T. I've noticed a lot of people on this forum quote a hourly wage and semi yearly raises as being a part if their interest in a position with AT&T - stop kidding yourself, you'll be surplussed or laid off after your third or forth raise or have the constant pressure of union negotiations or first level managers putting pressure on you to meet the #'s. Good luck to you all and I hope you find a position with a company that values it's employees.
Interested

United States

#5130 Jan 8, 2011
Vince in Florida what company do you work for?
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5131 Jan 8, 2011
Brighthouse Cable
Interested

United States

#5132 Jan 8, 2011
Vince in Florida wrote:
Brighthouse Cable
Are you a manager?
Interested

United States

#5133 Jan 8, 2011
Vince in Florida wrote:
Brighthouse Cable
Are you telling me there are NO numbers to meet at Brighthouse?
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5134 Jan 8, 2011
No, just a grunt like everyone else.
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5135 Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, there are numbers to meet. But management works with you and not against you. We are judged on a bunch of categories but in the end it comes down to anyone who shows some modest effort will keep their job. The ones who don't - constantly being repeated, coming in late to work, stomping around with a bad attitude eventually get weeded out but it takes a while. I've never been treated better by management than I have here at Brighthouse, but then again, I care about my career here. Overtime is not forced but I volunteer a lot. I call in to dispatch at the end of my shift at 5pm to see if anyone is in need of help. I volunteer to pick up shifts and holidays and generally try to make the managers lives easier so in return they do the same for me. I have weeks of vacation and personal time that the managers will remind me constantly to take through out the year so I don't end up losing it. The numbers are easy to make if you actually enjoy this type of work.
Vince in Florida

Orlando, FL

#5136 Jan 8, 2011
..... It's amazing to work in a place where everybody that's here has been here for 5 plus years and a lot of those have been here for 20 plus. A few guys in my area have been here for 35 years or more. Once you get in here and learn the ropes, you never leave. The ones who do leave never really understood what they had to begin with so good luck to them. Sure, things have changed over the years but it's still a great place to work at. The ones who put out a modest effort keep their jobs and eventually move up the ladder. The ones who kick a$$ everyday and wow their customers and managers move up faster. I can count on one hand the # of techs that have been let go this past year but BH has hired on @ 20 techs to fill their space.
atlneedinfo

United States

#5137 Jan 8, 2011
I wanted to know does the ibew let non drug related and non violent felons enroll in their schools. Thinking of enrolling for their fiber-optics program. Please give help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Votes for Micalyn 11 hr Shelia Addair 1
Liberals love dead babies. 12 hr ThomasA 2
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 21 hr Jennifer Renee 1,076
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 23 hr GEORGIA 1,465
News Christine Wicker: Learning to Talk About God an... (Sep '10) Mon True Christian w... 30
America 1st, Trump Number1 Sun Guest 9
Materia,Cajita, Spiritual Medium or Channeler o... (May '12) Sun Angel 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages