RJINW

Shelby, NC

#4799 Jul 5, 2010
ST 4 37 YEARS wrote:
Oh,and why are you complaining about how good the other techs have it.They made the right choices,you...not so much.If you last through all these changes then you will one day be the senior guy and I'll bet you will still find something WRONG with how you are treated by the union.
All the guys with time have paid their dues and they have good paying jobs.You...not so much!
almost forgot.the picture of that yard.Bringing back memories of my FT days.
http://uploadingit.com/view/vdorehdpqrh13imv/...
ST 4 37 YEARS

Cordova, TN

#4800 Jul 6, 2010
RJINW wrote:
<quoted text>
almost forgot.the picture of that yard.Bringing back memories of my FT days.
http://uploadingit.com/view/vdorehdpqrh13imv/...
...Like I been sayin',RJ...Be careful what you wish for.On the bright side,I climed 3 times the last week I was on the job.My knees and hamstrings hurt for a week after that.

Just remimber,gaff in at a 40,push stright up,break the knee stright out when you pull the gaff.Oh,and on the way down,break the knee,strighten the leg and drop the gaff in at a 40!

Or you could do like we did "back in the day".Grab both sides of the safety belt,stand stright up and down to the pole[controled cut-out]and drop about 15 feet at a time.Last one down buys coffee.
ST 4 37 YEARS

Cordova, TN

#4801 Jul 6, 2010
I just looked at the pole yard pic.We would have to go to the top,safty-off and the trainer would throw up a basketball.We would psss it around and the 1st one who missed a good pass had to climb down,tie the ball to a handline,climb back up and start it over again.

The trick is to miss every now and then so you're not up there 3 hours at a time without moving.My left leg went to sleep so I pulled it out of the pole and bent my knee a time or two.I realized when my boot filled with blood that I had kicked my right leg just above the ankle.It was asleep too and I didnt even know. Got my first 25 stitches in climbing school!
RJINW

Shelby, NC

#4802 Jul 6, 2010
ST 4 37 YEARS wrote:
<quoted text>...Like I been sayin',RJ...Be careful what you wish for.On the bright side,I climed 3 times the last week I was on the job.My knees and hamstrings hurt for a week after that.
Just remimber,gaff in at a 40,push stright up,break the knee stright out when you pull the gaff.Oh,and on the way down,break the knee,strighten the leg and drop the gaff in at a 40!
Or you could do like we did "back in the day".Grab both sides of the safety belt,stand stright up and down to the pole[controled cut-out]and drop about 15 feet at a time.Last one down buys coffee.
Trust me i'm not wishing for it! I was a good climber back in the day. My whole point was isnt the PT job NID in only?Comparing what we used to do back then i would say today a 1 whole house install should be the standard number with maybe 1 repair ticket if needed.When i used to fix 4 or more troubles in a day the "old boys" would rip me and tell me to slow down to maybe 2 a day.
rick

Chicago, IL

#4803 Jul 6, 2010
does anyone know the starting pay for a pt in chicago? i might be working in cicero.
RJINW

Shelby, NC

#4804 Jul 6, 2010
rick wrote:
does anyone know the starting pay for a pt in chicago? i might be working in cicero.
With the cost of living up there,i could not see them offering less than $15.
rick

Chicago, IL

#4805 Jul 6, 2010
RJINW wrote:
<quoted text>
With the cost of living up there,i could not see them offering less than $15.
i have a phone interview tomorrow. any idea whats asked or the process? i passed the tech test a week ago. thanks
ST 4 37 YEARS

Cordova, TN

#4806 Jul 7, 2010
RJINW wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me i'm not wishing for it! I was a good climber back in the day. My whole point was isnt the PT job NID in only?Comparing what we used to do back then i would say today a 1 whole house install should be the standard number with maybe 1 repair ticket if needed.When i used to fix 4 or more troubles in a day the "old boys" would rip me and tell me to slow down to maybe 2 a day.
...I understood your meaning but remimber what we talked about a few mths ago. With no STs[and that has been the AT&T goal all along]that only leaves OPTs for construction and FTs for drop and f2 mtce. The overlap is more than the company expected[becouse they cant see their hand in front of their face and never bothered to ask the ones who did the job every day].So you either allow a muddy ole OPT inside DR.Killjoy's 3 milion dolar mansion to work " magic" on his 8000.00 in-wall flat screen or make an FT do it who would much rather be home worming his cat than to be doing inside work anywhere!

It all added up to the x-training of the PT.They,like the union only want 1 job title to do that job.AT&T wants the under paid over worked PT.The union wants the core,30.00 per hour guy[ST].

Soon you[PTs]will be climbing ALOT and STs will be gone.You will be running trouble in Arl.f2 plant that lies within 2500 ft of the v-rad.If you can get to it from hooks or a ladder YOU will do the work.If not YOU will refer it to the FT who will cut a change and "fix"the records.

It will take longer in Dst.3 becouse we have Art. 14 in our contract that defines what "contractor"work is and what is Bell work.But even today,they get away with it.The union cant watch them 24/7 and we show all the time where the company contracts out Bell work.

At any rate,nothing has changed except how much money the guy who does the inside work gets paid.Thats it in a nut shell.

So my friend,find some shade and drink lots of water. It will be a long hot summer!
dan

Saint Louis, MO

#4807 Jul 7, 2010
st louis pt hopeful wrote:
I have a physical tomorrow for the prem tech position. Does anyone know if when they make you do the 14 situps in a minute, do you get to put your feet under a bar. Or do you have to kep them flat on the floor. Also can you tell about anything else that you have to do. I know I havwe to lift 80lbs. Any info would be appreciated.
how many times did you apply? i applied 3 times took and passed 2 times, i am still waiting an offer to test again. and still no job.
SomeOne

Chicago, IL

#4808 Jul 9, 2010
rick wrote:
Hey Rick, I applied for the position in Cicero as well. I hope I get the job. What step in the hiring process are you?
shawn

Palos Hills, IL

#4810 Jul 10, 2010
that premis tech test was not too easy,I failed which sucks,but how do people finish that test?

it wasnt just basic questions it was reading involved just to understand the question.

is it a situation where you ignore the big questions and just finish the easy ones?

what the hell is the technique
rick

Chicago, IL

#4811 Jul 10, 2010
SomeOne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rick, I applied for the position in Cicero as well. I hope I get the job. What step in the hiring process are you?
i just had the phone interview. the lady was from california. she asks you a couple of questions about how you have handled certain situations and working conditions and hours availability, just say that you have no problem with any hours. the only thing she said that worried me was when she told me i might have to wait up to a year. where are u in the process?
rick

Chicago, IL

#4812 Jul 10, 2010
shawn wrote:
that premis tech test was not too easy,I failed which sucks,but how do people finish that test?
it wasnt just basic questions it was reading involved just to understand the question.
is it a situation where you ignore the big questions and just finish the easy ones?
what the hell is the technique
that test did suck, sorry to hear that u failed. do the easy questions first and skip the ones with the long stories
SomeOne

United States

#4813 Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, test was a bit on the difficult side. I honestly didn't finish it I left 3 questions unanswered, but still managed to pass. Best advice is to read the questions carefully and understand what they are asking.

Rick, I just got my phone interview. I'm in the same step of the hiring process as you. Person interviewing me told me I was in a pool of potential hires'. Couldn't give me a date of when they plan to hire or how many people they are currently planning to hire. She did say that my name was going to be in that pool of hires' for up to a year.
rick

Chicago, IL

#4814 Jul 10, 2010
SomeOne wrote:
Yeah, test was a bit on the difficult side. I honestly didn't finish it I left 3 questions unanswered, but still managed to pass. Best advice is to read the questions carefully and understand what they are asking.
Rick, I just got my phone interview. I'm in the same step of the hiring process as you. Person interviewing me told me I was in a pool of potential hires'. Couldn't give me a date of when they plan to hire or how many people they are currently planning to hire. She did say that my name was going to be in that pool of hires' for up to a year.
same here. good luck. i hope they dont take too long to call. i read the ibew local 201 and think they pay minimum wage with increase increments every 6 months. hope im wrong though. how many people took the test and how many passed?
rick

Chicago, IL

#4815 Jul 10, 2010
SomeOne wrote:
. she should of gave us at least a ten second warning.
i also left the last 2 or 3
more4 less

Oceanside, CA

#4816 Jul 11, 2010
just an update on the new added title that now has found it's way under the prem tech umbrella ... wait for it ... CURRENTLY IN SOCAL self installed dsl yep.. we now are responsible for this ( yet the union bargained for increasing our pay if jobs are added to our umbrella mostly pole climbing reasons) but this is the some thing that the service techs did for what $8 more/ hr .. now out here most if not all service tech are gone , but still it's the new motto of at&t : MORE FOR LESS ..

Uknowme

United States

#4817 Jul 11, 2010
T bag the PT wrote:
i love my job and my union. they got us a 4 dollar raise in district 4 we get to pay for insurance and union dues, so when we get a write up or when ever the management wants to pick on us for anything they feel like because the can , it says in the contract, the union sits there and tells us that theres nothin they can do. and they made it possible for every one else in the GD company the ability to take our job (bump us). i mean come on, im just a. job holder, its great that people get to keep there job when surpluses happen (IM,Construction,Installers), but then there here getting 35 dollars an hour, double time on sunday and im sure other perks i dont even know about(not there fault) thank u union, oh and i get to train them to take my job. and now there's another surplus coming, whos next maybe me, him, you, what a crap contract, it sucks that the union is in bed with. att and any one who doesn't think so is f%$&ing blind, and as far as voting for things like strike and passing contracts haha rigged. i cant wait till the next contract if im even around to see it, who knows this job could be. contracted out by that time, oh and for people on here that would say if u dont like it. find another job, trust me Ive looked there not out there right now, i do like the work that i do i just dont like the working conditions and the ridiculous amount of stress from management about the numbers game# and not knowing what day i might get. to have off, i play softball once a week and i have to use personal or vacation days to ensure i can make it on time. this is not a 9- 5 job for any one seeking employment here. ahhhhhhhhh i feel better for now thanks for listing. good times here in michigan
well said, that's how we all feel.
ST 4 37 YEARS

Cordova, TN

#4818 Jul 12, 2010
rick wrote:
<quoted text>
same here. good luck. i hope they dont take too long to call. i read the ibew local 201 and think they pay minimum wage with increase increments every 6 months. hope im wrong though. how many people took the test and how many passed?
...Minimum wage? Are you f ing kidding me? Are you saying that all you can find in the job market is the PT job with AT&T at minimum wage?

I dont understand why guys would stand in line[and it looks like the line to being hired is getting longer,up to a year?],take test you cant pass just to earn the right to a crappy job that offers few benefits,no home life and MINIMUM WAGE!Have expections droped that low?

I mean no disrespect but damn.There are jobs out there. I went to a cigar store to buy a smoke or two and,long story short,I was offered a job.I'm 58yo,retired and not even looking for a job and this guy offered me 10.00 per hour 30 hours a week.No benefits but he did say he paid in cash[wink wink]and that I would go up to 14.50 and 40 within a few mths.

I would not take the job under those conditions[dishonesty]but my point is,there are jobs and every day I see more and more openings for work.

You guys seem to think there is some pot of gold at the end of this colorless rainbow called AT&T but there is not. You will only be there a few years at best and then what? You will be a few years older and in the same spot you are now!

You have no idea the heartache you are signing up for.If you're young, single and on your own then go for it but know on the front end what it is.Look what AT&T is doing to the STs,for God sake.Those guys have been loyal workers for up to 20 years and AT&T is canning them to make room for...Well,you! how do you think they will treat you when they are done with you?
ST 4 37 YEARS

Cordova, TN

#4819 Jul 12, 2010
Expectations,sorry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sammamish Locksmith 3 hr WilliamCEllis 1
emory (Sep '11) 12 hr squeezers 3
We Need to Secure Our Borders from Illness and ... 13 hr no moleste el gato 3
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 17 hr Jennifer Renee 1,054
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 17 hr Jennifer Renee 892
CDC researchers patented Ebola strain 18 hr Pete 16
Were Nurses Set Up? 20 hr go whitey go 4

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match