AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
RJINW

Huntersville, NC

#4758 Jun 21, 2010
stella777 wrote:
So i just filled out and application and was contacted to take the test for AT&T Premises Technician. Does anyone know how it is to work in the western North Carolina area for AT&T.
After reading all these posts ,i really dont think i want to work for this company.
Such sad stories from all the employees.
any feedback greatly appreciated
I dont think it will be much different anywhere in the southeast.I live in Western NC but have put in for PT jobs in other states more tax friendly.NC is the highest taxed state in the Southeast.Always keep that in mind.The job itself will most likely be stressed filled long hours with no outside life, you have read the posts.
Exsplicer turned premTech

Redmond, WA

#4759 Jun 22, 2010
Now we get email in our outlook stating that att is changing how they pay us!!! If you work on sunday for 8 hrs 1 1/2 time then u have 4 hours of credited premium pay. So if you work the rest of the week a regular 5 day sched and u only work a total of 4 hours overtime - you will not get 1 1/2 pay for the OT it will be regular pay!!! Fight this corrupt ass company .. im tired of it all.. Greive it up.. Union has to listen with more and more complaints.. here is a link to the bs -

http://west.web.att.com/communications/ufo/20...
ST 4 37 YEARS

Collierville, TN

#4760 Jun 22, 2010
Exsplicer turned premTech wrote:
Now we get email in our outlook stating that att is changing how they pay us!!! If you work on sunday for 8 hrs 1 1/2 time then u have 4 hours of credited premium pay. So if you work the rest of the week a regular 5 day sched and u only work a total of 4 hours overtime - you will not get 1 1/2 pay for the OT it will be regular pay!!! Fight this corrupt ass company .. im tired of it all.. Greive it up.. Union has to listen with more and more complaints.. here is a link to the bs -
http://west.web.att.com/communications/ufo/20...
Uh....what union? My internet security blocked the site posted!What part of the country di you work?
Exsplicer turned premTech

AOL

#4761 Jun 22, 2010
san jose CA- we are in the cwa here- perm workers still under appendix e but perm to what that means who knows or cares hahah.. All yards in ca have agreed to file a giant grivance not only for having the INR come in nad have same job title with idfferent wage scale but also for the link i posted how they are trying to take more pay from us now.
ST 4 37 YEARS

Collierville, TN

#4762 Jun 23, 2010
Im just wondering what does the contract{appendix e} say as far as payment of over time goes? It should be spelled out clearly and if not,process a grievance all the way to arbitartion. I dont think I would wait untill I had hundreds of grievances to start the ball rolling.

There is no such thing as a "giant"grievance ".That is a ridiculous notion! Its sounds more like you want to petition the company to "please read what the PTs think and please treat us fairly". Thats bullshit!

If the company has violated the contract then have the union get off its ass and file THAT grievance.You must let a union rep know of the violation in writing and it should be met on formily within 60 days.
UID BC___T

Nashville, TN

#4763 Jun 23, 2010
I found this forum by accident. Reading these posts have made me hate my PT job even more than I do already. And its not the actually work I dislike but the pay and no representation is what sucks. And the damn hours. Lots of hours but very little pay. We have to work 70 hrs to bring home what an ST brings home in a week with just 40 hrs. But, there is a strong union buzz being whispered in the winds here in Tennessee. Every work center from Memphis to Knoxville have signed union cards. We are all hoping to be represented soon. The buzz is that we are going to be brought in through the back door of the ST contract. If this is true, maybe help is on the way. From what I have been told by union stewards a union PT can bid on other positions within the company. In the event there are any. And something else us lowly PT's could possibly look forward to, If they go to this "bonded" pair that is supposed to get customers up to 3500 ft from the vrad, this should open the door for OPT positions. However this may cause a huge ship jump from PT to OPT's. Who will be left to install this shi**y Uverse service? I dont know but I hope the union comes soon. We all do.
Don

Orange Park, FL

#4764 Jun 24, 2010
What type of boots are the best for techs to wear?
RJINW

Charlotte, NC

#4765 Jun 24, 2010
Don wrote:
What type of boots are the best for techs to wear?
From Recruiter to my email on work clothes.

http://uploadingit.com/view/xngkqry2zyjgr4ld/...
ST 4 37 YEARS

Collierville, TN

#4766 Jun 25, 2010
I know what the company requires but I also know its important to keep you're feet comfortable.I had a pair for summer and one for winter.

3/4 over the ankle,1 inch molded heel,arch supported inserts,light weight.And steal toe is not very comfortable.

For the winter time you may want something elce but try something like this to start.Also,thick cotton socks are a must in winter and summer.
stella777

Bluffton, SC

#4767 Jun 25, 2010
im sorry to ask about the quality of the work again but the line of work really sounds horrid!!
is this a career path that most of you dont recomend? My information e-mail from At&t did say starting wages were $350-650 a week.That is quite low for such a skilled trade and large company.
Are all prem tech jobs the same?

thanks
stella777

Bluffton, SC

#4768 Jun 25, 2010
what is top pay for pt?
RJINW

Charlotte, NC

#4769 Jun 25, 2010
stella777 wrote:
what is top pay for pt?
I think it depends on where you live.I have heard numbers of $18 or 19/hr after some time of service.Avg starting may be around $13-$15.Thats just a guess.
Cal_317

Lumberton, NC

#4770 Jun 25, 2010
Go to Time Warner. I am in NC and make 20 per hr after 5 yrs. We also get bonuses depending on metrics like repeat percentage, customer satisfaction surveys, points per hour / jobs per day..... Depending on your numbers you can get 25% of the full bonus up to the whole thing which is $770 per month. That is over $9000 a yr extra if you max out. I also have full benefits, free services, take my van home, all the ot I want but not ever forced to work if I dont want to, 4 weeks paid vacation.......
stella777

Bluffton, SC

#4771 Jun 26, 2010
thanks guys, i blew off the test this morning after hearing all the crappy stuff about prem tech jobs.Doesnt sount like something i wanna waste my life on.
i guess there are better ways to waste an A&P license.
good luck everyone!
Stormtrooper

AOL

#4772 Jun 27, 2010
I am a Prem Tech in the Charlotte North Carolina market. We are not union and starting pay is 15.00 hourly. I work 10 to 15 hours overtime per week which translates to around 900.00 a week. I love my job and all negative reports about pay I will address by saying " Nobody made you take the job" If you don't want to go to work for a certain amount of money then Don't. Hey it is that simple.
Tigran Petrosyan

Burbank, CA

#4773 Jun 29, 2010
RJINW wrote:
<quoted text>
They will do the phone inerview next.I think since training is coming up soon the timeline may speed up a bit.On mine heres how it went:
1.Took tests mid march.
2.had RJP mid April.
3.Get CSA phone interview (any day now, i emailed and asked)
4.Will take drug and physical tests.
At the RJP the District 3 Uverse manager said the training would be in nashville May 17th i believe.he wanted it to be closer to him(lousiville) but the job i applied for is in TN.I'm not sure if they have training in more places other than Atlanta.
Hey i have a question looks like your the only one that just went trew this.. Im in LA i just took the CSA test Via phone on june 17th and i was told that i passed the test...When do they do the backround check and the driving recored is that after the physical??? how long should i expect the normal call time to be??
the owl

Nashville, TN

#4774 Jun 29, 2010
Stormtrooper wrote:
I am a Prem Tech in the Charlotte North Carolina market. We are not union and starting pay is 15.00 hourly. I work 10 to 15 hours overtime per week which translates to around 900.00 a week. I love my job and all negative reports about pay I will address by saying " Nobody made you take the job" If you don't want to go to work for a certain amount of money then Don't. Hey it is that simple.

your right. it does seem that $30 hr tech jobs with the phone company are a right. there are tons of people that hear about or have an uncle that makes that much. the worse are the ones whos fathers have gotten them jobs. like a sense of entitlement.
a lot of people want the cwa on this job which i can understand. who doesnt want to make $70k or more a year, guaranteed 40 hrs a week and great benifits? one thing they dont tell you is that the politics are as bad as the companys politics. as far as brotherhood, just ask the ones who have gotten laid off because their big brothers with 30 and 40 years service didnt retire cause they had to pay for a new bass boat. the compnay has declared a real big surplus, how many will retire so their little brothers have chance to git 30 years?
its just food for thought.
RJINW

Charlotte, NC

#4775 Jun 29, 2010
Tigran Petrosyan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey i have a question looks like your the only one that just went trew this.. Im in LA i just took the CSA test Via phone on june 17th and i was told that i passed the test...When do they do the backround check and the driving recored is that after the physical??? how long should i expect the normal call time to be??
They should call soon about the place and time of the physical/drug screen.They know right away if you pass that and start the background/driving check.Took about 7 days after background started before they hired me.
RJINW

Charlotte, NC

#4776 Jun 29, 2010
the owl wrote:
<quoted text>
your right. it does seem that $30 hr tech jobs with the phone company are a right. there are tons of people that hear about or have an uncle that makes that much. the worse are the ones whos fathers have gotten them jobs. like a sense of entitlement.
a lot of people want the cwa on this job which i can understand. who doesnt want to make $70k or more a year, guaranteed 40 hrs a week and great benifits? one thing they dont tell you is that the politics are as bad as the companys politics. as far as brotherhood, just ask the ones who have gotten laid off because their big brothers with 30 and 40 years service didnt retire cause they had to pay for a new bass boat. the compnay has declared a real big surplus, how many will retire so their little brothers have chance to git 30 years?
As an added note about driving record to those that are curious:
I pulled up my own record from DMV and had over 30 tickets since i was 18(46 now,all speeding)but ZERO tickets for past 3 years and i passed.
ST 4 37 YEARS

Cordova, TN

#4777 Jun 29, 2010
the owl wrote:
<quoted text>
...OWL...I was one of those techs who made 30.00 per hr with all the benefits.

I would not let any of my 3 sons near AT&T,even if they had wanted to work there.Bottom line,I took my retirement with aprox 37 1/2 years service.I was able to.But dont put someone down becouse they choose to keep working.You dont know what the issues are with those guys.They SHOULD have had money saved and had an exit strategy but maybe not.Maybe there son was worthless and left a 2 year old child in Mom & Dads lap.

At any rate,I started in 1973,I was able to do my job and make the numbers untill the last day I worked.If I needed a new bass boat and needed to work 6 more mths.to buy it,I would have.My time of service gives me that right.

PTs with AT&T will never have that choice.The job is not ment to be a life-long job that pays enough to raise a family.Stacking time with the same company means you had to put up with a butt-load of bullshit most of your life.It gives people the right to leave when they want to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "The blackest land and the whitest people" (Mar '08) 12 hr ex-x 82
Whiny lil beech Trump Sun lol 3
News Undocumented immigrant, 17, on track to be Dall... Sun spytheweb 2
News Dallas police say 4 jailed in slaying of theft ... (Dec '08) Sun joe 18
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) May 28 GEORGIA 1,451
News Severe thunderstorm watch issued for Dallas, Ta... May 28 dodo 1
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) May 28 Jennifer Renee 1,053
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages