Green Bay Prem Tech

United States

#409 Apr 19, 2008
Hello All,
I am waiting for my phone call here in Green Bay as to when the job will start. I have been through all the tests, interviews and just had my physical on Thursday. I was told I should hear something next week. Anyone else waiting in the Green Bay area?
Does anyone know if we take our van's home or do we pick them up at a local garage/depot? Do we get company phone or laptops in the van's?
Best of luck to everyone!
new hire

Saint Louis, MO

#410 Apr 20, 2008
No, you will not be taking your company truck home. Yes, you will get a company phone and labtop.
short

United States

#411 Apr 20, 2008
this company lies. They say you will get training for a certain time, lie. they say you will get 40 hours, lie.
new hire

Saint Louis, MO

#412 Apr 20, 2008
short wrote:
this company lies. They say you will get training for a certain time, lie. they say you will get 40 hours, lie.
huh? The prem techs around here are working about 50-60 hours a week. How many do you guys get?
Lotkey

Chicago, IL

#413 Apr 20, 2008
Some guys in our office are getting 30 Hours and some as low as 8 hours a week. The other day someone was sent to buy cleaning supplies and got some of his houres in by cleaning the bathroom. I guess people dont want to give up their Comcast yet.
short

United States

#414 Apr 20, 2008
That's right, Lotkey. How can anybody survive on that? AT&T is deceiving people into thinking they're hiring on with a good company. Everything they have said so far is false. Hours, pay, advancement. All lies.
new hire

Saint Louis, MO

#415 Apr 20, 2008
where is Elk Grove Village, IL and Cary, IL?
ToolRuler

Milwaukee, WI

#416 Apr 20, 2008
Green Bay Prem Tech wrote:
Hello All,
I am waiting for my phone call here in Green Bay as to when the job will start. I have been through all the tests, interviews and just had my physical on Thursday. I was told I should hear something next week. Anyone else waiting in the Green Bay area?
Does anyone know if we take our van's home or do we pick them up at a local garage/depot? Do we get company phone or laptops in the van's?

Best of luck to everyone!
I'm in MKE and waiting too. The last I heard from AT&T was when they told me where to go for the drug screening/physical, and that orientation was scheduled for May 2. I've had my drug screen and physical. I'm planning on calling them this coming week to be sure that everything is copacetic.
Georges

Boynton Beach, FL

#417 Apr 21, 2008
Tyrell Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey guys,
I was invited to take the premise technician testing. After we finished taking the test they told me that i score really high on the exam and qualified to for a higher position (splicing Technician) and someone will contact me. It's been three weeks now and no one has contacted me yet. My e-mails to HR have not been very helpful. Does anyone know how long it takes them to respond or get back to you? Any help or comments would be appreciated.
i'm kind of in the same position as you my friend
i completed the application and the consent form and sent it to them
i made a copy of the consent form and signed it and sent it to them
i even signed and fax my drug test disclosure form
i'm still waiting, i email my staffing manager on how the background process goes ( they told me in the email that i can contact them and ask them about the background process ) i never got a response back
it's been more than 2 weeks for me going on 3 weeks now
CASEY SMITH

United States

#418 Apr 22, 2008
What the difference in the prem tech job and outside technical position and how often do u get overtime at at&t
sucka

Salem, OH

#420 Apr 22, 2008
Bruce Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
The average install takes about 6 hours to complete. If you are sceduled 2 installs, even if you were to average 5 hours an install, by the time you add up your drive time and your breaks It would be very close to 12 hours. Obviously you are not doing 2 install a day. Either that or you are doing half ass work.
I know that everybody is getting forced on one of their days off. Even if you are getting done in 10 hours, that would still be 60 hours a week. That is more than I want to work.
Just out of curiousity, how many weekends do you get off?
I'm really curious where you worked at before AT&T. It must of been a peice of shit for you to think that this job is so good.
Did you flip burgers for McDonald's or Jack in the Box?
Also, if this job is so good, explain the high turnover rate.
amen
sucka

Salem, OH

#421 Apr 22, 2008
Bruce Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
In your earlier post you commented on how good this job is, but with each additional post it seems as though the truth is starting to come out. "This is a shitty job". Those are your words and I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly.
It is true that there isn't a lot of good jobs out there but since when does good pay define a good job? Hell, this job doesn't even pay good. If your going to work a shitty job you might as well work one that will allow you to have a personal life. That being said, this is going to be my last week as a Prem Tech. I'm taking a pay cut to get the hell out of here but at least I will have my weekends off again.
It is unfortunate for you, but you sound as if you are one of the miserable workers who are trapped in a job they hate. I know this because of the anger of your voice and if you were happy with your job, you wouldn't be doing research on a forum tittled "AT&T Premises Technician Pay".
Good luck to all that are currently working or getting ready to start work as a Prem Tech. I wish you all the best. For the rest of you that hate your job, find something else as soon as possible. You won't believe how much better you will feel once you put in that notice.
yup
Nashville Tech

Jackson, TN

#422 Apr 22, 2008
Premise Tech is the BS title created by AT&T. They were able to implement it in 2 regions, but district 3 (formerly Bellsouth) voted it down. Start pay is about $9 an hour, top out is about $16.50

The crap explanation they gave us was 'we can't afford to roll out u-verse and pay the techs $27 an hour like we have all this time....boo hoo hoo...'

Bunch of crap. They have NEVER lost money with us doing the DSL and POTS work at this pay rate, and U-VERSE really is just another DSL line that they are going to charge a helluva lot more for, so how the hell they gonna say they can't afford us???? We'll see how much money they actually save when they find out what contractors do to customer relations, not to mention that when you pay people half-pay, crap vacations, don't give a damn about their healthcare and no pension plan.... What the hell makes them think they are going to give a damn about the customer or service????

This company's management style is a joke. They could pay techs the same amount as the rest of us and cut down on overtime and problems if they would just start putting in Fiber to the Premise like everyone else. Instead they want to maintain this twisted pair crap and wonder why they have so many problems and expenses.

Also.... you'll love the managers in TN, they are the reason Unions were invented. They will constantly bitch about every little thing a tech does that might cost a minute of extra pay, but they don't give a damn that managers drive their vehicles home 25+ miles from work every day and make dumb engineer or plant decisions that cost thousands of dollars in future repairs or upgrades.

Since: Mar 08

Detroit, MI

#423 Apr 23, 2008
Nashville Tech wrote:
Premise Tech is the BS title created by AT&T. They were able to implement it in 2 regions, but district 3 (formerly Bellsouth) voted it down. Start pay is about $9 an hour, top out is about $16.50
The crap explanation they gave us was 'we can't afford to roll out u-verse and pay the techs $27 an hour like we have all this time....boo hoo hoo...'
Bunch of crap. They have NEVER lost money with us doing the DSL and POTS work at this pay rate, and U-VERSE really is just another DSL line that they are going to charge a helluva lot more for, so how the hell they gonna say they can't afford us???? We'll see how much money they actually save when they find out what contractors do to customer relations, not to mention that when you pay people half-pay, crap vacations, don't give a damn about their healthcare and no pension plan.... What the hell makes them think they are going to give a damn about the customer or service????
This company's management style is a joke. They could pay techs the same amount as the rest of us and cut down on overtime and problems if they would just start putting in Fiber to the Premise like everyone else. Instead they want to maintain this twisted pair crap and wonder why they have so many problems and expenses.
Also.... you'll love the managers in TN, they are the reason Unions were invented. They will constantly bitch about every little thing a tech does that might cost a minute of extra pay, but they don't give a damn that managers drive their vehicles home 25+ miles from work every day and make dumb engineer or plant decisions that cost thousands of dollars in future repairs or upgrades.
dang. sounds like you guys have it pretty bad in TN. fortunately, were not contracted here in detroit. the pay might not be what most people are looking for, but the benefits are nice. raises every 6 months, and after 6 months you get paid medical, dental, vision, 7 PTO days, and a week of vacation. as far as im concerned, im pretty happy with what it offers.
Mor2me

Orange Park, FL

#424 Apr 23, 2008
Right on im in jax fla but its the same here would like to see the pt guys stand up and demand more money for them self so they can afford to live nice. like the rest of the people at att are. Due time i guss.
Nashville Tech wrote:

Since: Mar 08

Tulsa, OK

#425 Apr 23, 2008
Just completed new hire paperwork. I report to my work site on May 2 and leave for training on the 4th. I've weighed the good and the bad and for now, it'll have to do. At least until I see the new contract in 09. It all depends on what you perceive as potential in the future. What seems good for you might not seem good for others. Sorry to hear all the negativity, but thanks for your view of things. As a new hire, I'll have to form my own opinions. Here in Oklahoma fairly new so I'm sure I'll be busy. Right now the extra hours is much needed and the permanent full-time job is more secure than the temp work. If it doesn't work out, I'll move on, but I'll never know if I don't give it a shot. Good luck to you who are also hiring on. I hope it is as rewarding as it sounds. For those of you who are wanting out, I hope you find what you're looking for. It is a huge sacrifice, weekends and family.
Jeff Thompson

Lawton, OK

#426 Apr 25, 2008
What's the difference between "Premises Tech", "Splicer Tech", & "Outside Service Tech"? I'm currently a Journeyman Pipefitter & make $42/hr + rare overtime. 7:30-4:15 M-F. Overtime happens once evry 3-4 months. Can someone explain the difference between the jobs. For the outside service tech you must take the Basic Electricity Test, which looks considerably harder than the other tests mentioned in the forum. Thanks in advance.
Amanda

United States

#427 Apr 25, 2008
Jeff Thompson wrote:
What's the difference between "Premises Tech", "Splicer Tech", & "Outside Service Tech"? I'm currently a Journeyman Pipefitter & make $42/hr + rare overtime. 7:30-4:15 M-F. Overtime happens once evry 3-4 months. Can someone explain the difference between the jobs. For the outside service tech you must take the Basic Electricity Test, which looks considerably harder than the other tests mentioned in the forum. Thanks in advance.
hi jeff
Jeff Thompson

Lawton, OK

#428 Apr 25, 2008
Hello, Amanda. How is everything with you?
Ronald

United States

#429 Apr 25, 2008
Is there anybody around who is going to work in Miami????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yes, older people have sex. Lots of sex. (Feb '14) 1 hr Sarene 6
Is Texas the Uneducated, Ignorant Rednecks Para... (Dec '12) 5 hr texas forever 13
The Immigration System is Not Broken It's The E... 5 hr Culture Auditor 1
Were Nurses Set Up? 14 hr Michael Young 7
price of living in Texas 15 hr Michael Young 12
Single. 39 male. seeking woman, I'm rebuilding ... 15 hr Michael Young 6
big bonds in dallas fed court house 17 hr Michael Young 2

Dallas News Video

Dallas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance