United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Prem Tech wrote:
I am a prem tech for AT&T. I have been installing U-Verse for over a year. I wouldn't recommend taking the Job in Dallas. I am currently loaned out to Dallas from my market in another city to help out. U-Verse is a disaster here. It is plagued by mis-management, shoddy planning, and poorly trained / idiotic prem techs. It is a much better idea to try to get hired as one of the first prem techs in a new U-Verse market. Since AT&T is a union company, everything is based on senority. Our union contract is up in April of '09. There are an exorbent amount of I/R, ELM, and Pair Gain techs that will retire before the contract is up. Prem Techs that are in the upper levels of seniority, like myself, will be able to transfer to these open postitions. Which all pay 30+ an hour. I look at this position as if I was an apprentice. Its all about the light at the end of the tunnel. Prem techs do five times as much work (Not an exaggeration in the least.) as the previously mentioned technical postions and get half the pay. I compensate for the low pay with overtime and per diem. Truthfully I actually enjoy the job and the people I work with... but its not for everybody.
I'm expecting to be offered a prem tech position after my face to face interview on tuesday. As with all, I'm concerned about the compensation and realistic opportunity for advancement. I'm in the atlanta area, can you tell me if they are union and including overtime approx. what is the monthly GROSS pay. I have a family to support otherwise I wouldn't be so concerned with pay right now. I'm willing to sacrifice a couple of years for security down the road. Will the new revised contract for prem techs affect me and how.
thanks for any info you can give me.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

I was wondering what kind of drug test they give. Urine, hair, or blood? Thanks in advance.
Jdub

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

Judged:

The funny thing is i live in joliet and the position top starting pay is $14 decent for a young person and the benefit is stick with the company and move you way up. they will pay for your schooling and training on any job you bid for in future and are accepted for some these AT&T guys make 30-35 bucks an hour thats a pretty good chunk of money i mean hey your odds of moving up at at&t for more money are way better than working at per say mc donalds who really unless you have managment skills arent going anywhere so take the job and work your rear off and it will pay off in 5+ years we all must struggle a bit to move up and not worry
CHRIS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

How many hours do the prem tech work and is the training easy
Nick

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

Light Wave Test wrote:
Why don't you get a fiber optics "SONET" test job for over $30.00 PER HOUR plus per diem and company expenses from truck to maintenance and round trip ticket per month for a week vacation. guaranted work for 15 hours per day (over 8 is overtime). Tax free for a year.
<quoted text>
What is the SONET job? Is this something offered through AT&T or is that another company? Where do I find out more about this?
payscale

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Light Wave Test wrote:
Why don't you get a fiber optics "SONET" test job for over $30.00 PER HOUR plus per diem and company expenses from truck to maintenance and round trip ticket per month for a week vacation. guaranted work for 15 hours per day (over 8 is overtime). Tax free for a year.
<quoted text>
IM THINKING OF AN OCCUPATION CHANGE , LOOKING AT AT&T FIELD TECH , BUT DOESNT SEEM TO PAY MUCH AND WHAT BENEFITS? WHAT IS THE SONET TEST AND WHAT JOBS CAN U GET WITH TAKING IT.>> WHERE DO YOU TAKE IT>??
Nick

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

payscale wrote:
<quoted text>IM THINKING OF AN OCCUPATION CHANGE , LOOKING AT AT&T FIELD TECH , BUT DOESNT SEEM TO PAY MUCH AND WHAT BENEFITS? WHAT IS THE SONET TEST AND WHAT JOBS CAN U GET WITH TAKING IT.>> WHERE DO YOU TAKE IT>??
This is what I came up with http://www.exfo.com/en/applications/SONET.asp...
U-slave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

CHRIS wrote:
How many hours do the prem tech work and is the training easy
Only 1 trainer so far (that I know of) is giving new techs everything they need to know. Most have passes the 3 week training and still have no clue. There is alot to learn (crammed into your head) in the training period, but the biggest value is: "can you be creative, and improvise" if you have a problem, can you come up with a solution on your own.

In taining you're told to plan on only 1 install per day. Giving the customer plenty of time for questions and service. But in the field you can plan on alot of over-time. Less hours with the family. 6-7 day work weeks. And 2 installs per day. They are taking in more orders than they can handle and putting on the intallers shoulders. Union contract allows two 15 minute breaks and a half-hour lunch. But try taking them.

Enjoy your new job.
Mich

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

How hard is the test for prem tech?
U-slave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

Judged:

Mich wrote:
How hard is the test for prem tech?
The test really isn't that hard if use "common sense." Which is really what the "test" is based on. I'm sure it helps if tech-stuff is a hobby of yours or if you've done some work in related fields. But I've seen alot of new-hires with no backround in this field at all. I've trained girls and guys who are right out of high-school and a couple people in their upper 50's. So, I think if you have a genuine interest in computers, networking and hooking up your own stuff; then you shouldn't have a problem getting in.

A big, big Plus, is customer service. Working at jobs where you have practice dealing with people and being very courteous helps alot! Practice politeness, they push it very hard! There's a training segment called "platinum glove" dealing with just customer contact. I wish you the best of luck!
U-slave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

Judged:

Hey! Prem-Tech, sounds like being out on loan, your stuck in OMA!!!

I think most of us are going to need therapy after having to deal with Dispatch putting Jobs behind us without calling.

..... and they wonder why we get the attitude to just "JEP IT"

Try to make it a little fun in the morning by sneaking out on your "ride-a-long" or putting your tire chochs under your bosses truck... >;-)
khhandyman

Saint Stephen, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2007

Hi does any one know how much AT&T paid there sales or C.Service? I have an interview! Thanks
Indyrepairman

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

Judged:

In response to some of the comments made, I have to chime in...It is true that prem-techs have been given an almost unbearable work load, and the pay is not that great, but it is a job nonetheless. Don't lose track of the fact that before you were even hired, there wasn't going to be contract for you guys at all. As for the guy who said you do 5 times the work as us, you're full of ****. I know what your job entails, and until you've spent at least a decade maintaing facilities, and more recently hanging drops for pt's, you have no right to complain about how much we make. I can tell you right now, spending an entire day in a subs house trying to figure out why some equipment won't sync up doesn't hold a candle to 36 hours in a hole tracing and splicing an 1800pr lead pulp cable. Quit complaining, put in your time, and enjoy your job.
bruce campbell

Roach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

I think that the biggest problem is that the company expects to much out of us too soon. This is especially true considering the amount of training that was given to us. I think that if they were to spend more time on the actual technical aspect of the job, other than the customer service, we would all be a lot better off. I can honestly say that I probably only learned about 10% of what is needed to know to do the job properly in the training period that they provided. Yet, they expect us to be experts. Then on top of that, they put pressure on us to get the job done and then wonder why it was done so poorly. Go figure.
bruce campbell

Roach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

Judged:

Also, I would rather spend 36 hours in a hole then to have to deal with customers. Not that I am complaining.
ckpg

Belding, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

Does anyone know what the period of time is between the customer service interview and the time they contact you about the job is? I had my interview on Dec 6th and I hear the job starts here on Feb 4th. I know that AT&T drags their heels on this stuff, but I thought I'd hear something by now.
Thanks
nilbill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

ckpg wrote:
Does anyone know what the period of time is between the customer service interview and the time they contact you about the job is? I had my interview on Dec 6th and I hear the job starts here on Feb 4th. I know that AT&T drags their heels on this stuff, but I thought I'd hear something by now.
Thanks
Well when I was contacted to do the physical on the 21 of Dec. I didn't hear back until Jan. 5. That was for the Premise tech pos. though.
premtech1

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

Hi guys, I have taken the screening tests for the prem tech position. My first interview is in two days. Can anyone tell me what type of interview this is? I was told it would be about a half hour long. The position is in Grand Rapids, MI. I was also wondering what this position pays starting out in the Michigan area, how many hours a week you can expect to work and how many interviews you can expect to have before being offered the position. Thanks alot in advance!!!
Prem Tech

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

It seems that Prem Tech's are a good position for people wanting to start out in the telecom business. At least if you have some technical background. Being someone that has been in the Telecom business for a while, I wouldnt probably take a job like this but for someome with a little networking and computer background this would be an awesome opportunity. I never applied for a job with AT&T or any of the big providers but I would think the benefits of working for a big company would have to account for something positive, especially if there is a young person with a family.
STLPREM

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

Judged:

We do crazy amounts of work for next to nothing. I took a pay cut to come to ATT because all I heared was how great ATT was. After installing for a while and working with Emerging Networks and plain old pots I/R they say the company has completely changed within the last few years. Apparently they are trying to tier off I/R jobs and pay and replace the 30 dollar an hour guys with us 15 dollar an hour guys. Possibly doing not just inside wiring of dsl and tv but also climbing poles and opening peds. We average about 6 hours for an install and management wants it down to 5.5 or less. Thats pretty damn hard for people off the street with just a few months of experience to do. Plus if they have us replacing drops and cutting bridge taps in addition to installing everything in the house. it will take all of 10-12 hours. Just my opinion. The job itself is not too bad its just dealing with management and their bullcrap. but thats anywhere you go.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Dallas Forum right now

Search the Dallas Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 3 min Imperial Chicano 21,708
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 5 min Jennifer Renee 590
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 37 min Gasman 17,257
Directv referral discount - (Aug '13) Tue Galen 43
Winner of $12 million lottery jackpot has until... Tue alfordadams 4
New Chiropractor Joins Sarasota Chiropractic, P... Tue Chiropractor from Chicago 2
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) Tue Jennifer Renee 761
•••
•••

Dallas News Video

•••
•••

Dallas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dallas People Search