AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Preemy

AOL

#3781 Jan 13, 2010
Mr Badmoney wrote:
Gentlemen: I have recently completed the Basic Electricity test and DCCL.
Here is the thing with Bellcore ( AT&T MOP's), Testing and applicant process is very loose when it comes to showing their cards, and to be out of radar with any liability to any applicants, the Bells Use their term "qualified" Or "not Qualified"
either phrase does not mean that you passed the test, actually no one is disclosed ever that they passed or failed, the term Qual or Not Qual is used for many reasons, one for example, You may have not done very well on the test and others may have done better than you on the test itself, however, the parameters may be that they have a quota to fill, either a race, gender, Military, etc. For example you may actually have only 70% questions correct as a black female, and 90% of questions correct as a white male,and ATT is obligated to fill the quota for black females, and although the actual test score is not as high as the other, it still is an acceptable achievement on the test, however the overall details of the applicant, meets their vacancy requirements to be in compliance, therefore one would be "Qualified" NOT A Matter of passing and failing.
bb2sbgn

Canton, GA

#3782 Jan 13, 2010
Preemy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the thing with Bellcore ( AT&T MOP's), Testing and applicant process is very loose when it comes to showing their cards, and to be out of radar with any liability to any applicants, the Bells Use their term "qualified" Or "not Qualified"
either phrase does not mean that you passed the test, actually no one is disclosed ever that they passed or failed, the term Qual or Not Qual is used for many reasons, one for example, You may have not done very well on the test and others may have done better than you on the test itself, however, the parameters may be that they have a quota to fill, either a race, gender, Military, etc. For example you may actually have only 70% questions correct as a black female, and 90% of questions correct as a white male,and ATT is obligated to fill the quota for black females, and although the actual test score is not as high as the other, it still is an acceptable achievement on the test, however the overall details of the applicant, meets their vacancy requirements to be in compliance, therefore one would be "Qualified" NOT A Matter of passing and failing.
I dont know if I buy into all this. Isnt it an option to disclose your race? The tests do show you a score but its set up on a percentage of each section. I believe you only need a 60% to pass.
Maybe i'm way off but i just dont feel like your correct but maybe you have some inside info that i have no idea about.

Mr.Badmoney-
You will know if you qaulified or not after each test. As i mentioned above, I think the test has to be 60% right, not 70%. You can add up your percentages and divide it by the number of categories and i bet your score is over 60%. As i mentioned above, maybe i'm way off base but i would be curious as to whether your over 60% to prove my theory right or wrong. I felt the same way as you, I thought for sure I failed and was amazed at my qualifying score. I also thought you had to score like a 70%. I was happy as crap though. I only had a short period of time to study. As it was mentioned above, the test asked questions that were not covered by AT&T's study guide for sure.
Preemy

AOL

#3783 Jan 13, 2010
bb2sbgn wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont know if I buy into all this.
I know as fact, I am just trying to bring some light to this, Years of applicants faced this and beat themselves up knowing that they in fact did very well, yet were not considered or received a "not Qualified" wheter you are appling off the street or testing and applying for A UTP, Upgrade & Transfer Program. Att Even at a grienve session will not discose ones test score, I represented many employees over the years time and time again on this. That is why I am passing this factual info on
Preemy

AOL

#3784 Jan 13, 2010
Also, yes it is optional to disclose race, you are correct, but on the same note AT&T is optional on who and how they hire, Usually and 10 out of 10 applicants disclose the option to advise of race, why, all think that they are not being defiant, therefore increasing their chances of being hired, and not being labeled a radical before even being considered, even if a percentage opt out of disclosure, AT&T still has a large enough pool to satisfy their select & qualify quota, And trust me they have to adhere to hiring dirversly and demands of this employer for many many decades now makes them accountable for filling these quotas, some are American Indian Black White Hispanic, Other. And For A Fact I do know some specific curves that are granted to specific groups.
bb2sbgn

Canton, GA

#3785 Jan 14, 2010
The test results are given to you immediatly after taking the test and they are given to you from the same computer terminal that you just took the test from. You dont even get out of your seat. Its not like your test results were shipped to AT&T along with 1000 other peoples and then AT&T just sorts through the results themselves.

If AT&T uses a seperate testing center (which they obviously do)how on earth can they link into their systems and somehow "manipulate" the system to qualify only certain individuals based on race? I know they have to adhere to hiring diversity but I always believed they would hire certain individuals of different races based on whether they passed the test or not. What you are saying is that the test is essentialy "rigged" to qualify some individuals and not others. Isnt that specifically why AT&T pays money to another company to do the testing? Just so they are not accused of doing this?

I dont know you. You may be the next Albert Einstein but the notion that AT&T does this sounds like a conspiracy theory that you have. You may be 100% right and I guess there is no way to prove this either way but wow- thats incredible if its true.
tobeornot

Indianapolis, IN

#3786 Jan 14, 2010
How long after you applied for the position did you here from att bb2bsgn?
Mr Badmoney

Jenks, OK

#3787 Jan 14, 2010
Preemy, basically what that sounds like is affirmative action. Regardless of whether it's true or not, I don't think it is directly related to my test scores. Affirmative action is designed to help minorities. I am a white male in my twenties so I don't see any reason they would put a curve on my score. If anything, they would put a curve on my score to disqualify me, right? Im still wondering if ATT tells everyone they are qualified but really only considers the top scores. bb2sbgn, I calculated my averages of all different sections of the test and I did score about 60% on both so your theory of 60% or better is possible. Anyways, do you guys think I should just wait to hear from them or is there any way of being pro-active in getting hired? bb2sbgn, have you heard from ATT? How long did it take and what kind of stuff did they wanna know? Any information you could give would help tremendously.
cheetoe8

United States

#3788 Jan 14, 2010
bb2sbgn wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not sure about training. Are you to start in Tucker as well? I actually just received a call from my recruiter informing me that Monday 01-18-2010 is my first day. I just found this out so i was waiting much like yourself.Maybe you will get a call next. Did you do your physical already? You can send me an email at [email protected] if you want to give me your number to talk
I got hirede back in December just been waiting for the 15th to start. do you live in buford i see that next to your name i live there also. training does start in tucker but the first day is tomarrow in alpharetta
bb2sbgn

Canton, GA

#3789 Jan 14, 2010
cheetoe8 wrote:
<quoted text>I got hirede back in December just been waiting for the 15th to start. do you live in buford i see that next to your name i live there also. training does start in tucker but the first day is tomarrow in alpharetta
They told me to start on monday. I was told that they are hiring two people. Me and 1 other. I guess your the other one? Nice to meet you lol. When i spoke with the manager i was told that it wold be on the 15th but my recruiter told me the 18th.
bb2sbgn

Canton, GA

#3790 Jan 14, 2010
tobeornot wrote:
How long after you applied for the position did you here from att bb2bsgn?
I applied on Nov 30th and I just found out it is a definite yesterday. I guess it was 2-3 weeks after i applied before i was contacted.
bb2sbgn

Canton, GA

#3791 Jan 14, 2010
Mr Badmoney wrote:
Preemy, basically what that sounds like is affirmative action. Regardless of whether it's true or not, I don't think it is directly related to my test scores. Affirmative action is designed to help minorities. I am a white male in my twenties so I don't see any reason they would put a curve on my score. If anything, they would put a curve on my score to disqualify me, right? Im still wondering if ATT tells everyone they are qualified but really only considers the top scores. bb2sbgn, I calculated my averages of all different sections of the test and I did score about 60% on both so your theory of 60% or better is possible. Anyways, do you guys think I should just wait to hear from them or is there any way of being pro-active in getting hired? bb2sbgn, have you heard from ATT? How long did it take and what kind of stuff did they wanna know? Any information you could give would help tremendously.
It was a nail biting experience for me since i just got laid off as a u-verse tech. It tool about 6 weeks from the day i applied to a final acceptance for me but that is for a position over here in ga. I was told that these positions are actually brand new and they are hiring at different times for different places.i applied then 1 week later I took the dccl test, 1 week later the csaf test, 2-3 weeks later i was contacted with a conditional offer, 2 weeks later i was contacted to take my physical and the job was finally offered to me. I called my re cruiter who is very nice many times in between to the point where it was obvious to me that i should lay off lol. I was told over 200 people applied but most dropped off after taking that dccl test.
Preemy

AOL

#3792 Jan 14, 2010
Mr Badmoney wrote:
Preemy, basically what that sounds like is affirmative action. Regardless of whether it's true or not, I don't think it is directly related to my test scores. Affirmative action is designed to help minorities.
I wrote a detailed response earlier and it timed out so I lost it to post, sorry, I dont have time to rewrite, But yes it is affirmitive action, but on steroids, At the end of the process, ATT has "immunity to not be accountable to untimatly hire to their need of the business, also while conforming to the least risk to them, The fomula and basis on how it this done, is very well guarded, cant figure it, since evey pool of applicants is differnt therefoe always changing a pattern to figure it out, so regardless of age race etc, the have liberty to fill their quota, I am trying to make as simple sence to relay this to ya, I suggest be a little more patient & always wait, you seem to be There soon for the call.... nowhere can anyone has or can answer time frame or if and when for an offer, and as you can see from these posts there is no difinitive way to predict the varibles that will secure an offer in any true uniform way, but the odds usually are very good that an applicant will flow as per to hiring, but for my info, you can not bank on it as gospel, since as a fact ATT can and will at antime use their Qualified with no offer as their Secret Tool, Best of luck hope to see you on board!
Mr Badmoney

Jenks, OK

#3793 Jan 14, 2010
bb2sbgn and Preemy: Thanks a lot for your help guys. I feel a little bit less "left hanging" than I did before. One more thing though. Like I said, I have qualified on both tests and have a related background to the job I am applying for. I just finished testing yesterday. What should I expect now? How long should I wait before I can call it a lost cause? Is there something I should do to get my name out there? bb2sbgn, I am applying for the same job you were recently hired for so I figure you'd be the guy to ask about the hiring process post testing. I was recently laid off too and just want to know if I can put much stock into this opportunity.
ST 4 37 YEARS

Memphis, TN

#3794 Jan 14, 2010
Guys,take it from someone who has been through the process.It has little to do with affirmitive action or any other so called mandate.They hire the people they want.The criteria used is meaningless.Its not like they plan on making a long term investment in your employment.Hell,from what Im reading you are already overqualified educationaly so AT&T will have little invested in your trainning[you will ride with someone for a few weeks and be put out on your own].Weather you become part of the core contract[with CWA]or not,AT&Ts long term investment is nil.You,as a new hire will have few post-retirement benifits,no pinsion,a 401k with no company match,50% medical for you[not your family]and raises equal to or less than you would expect from ANY company.Of course,every 3 years the CWA and AT&T will bargin a contract so things may get better[that is one advantage you have over non-represented workers with other companys].Advice is free and others on this site may disagree but when[or if]you get hired take advantage of ALL educational options avalable,learn other jobs,take as much as they offer,press the powers that control your pay and bennys[either CWA or HR]to the limit and give yourself options within the company or after you have had enough.AT&T veiws you as a quick fix to a temperary labor problem.If you think the hiring process is strange,wait untill you get on and try to move to a better job within the company.They promote who they want and rarely answer to anyone.
Preemy

AOL

#3795 Jan 14, 2010
Mr Badmoney wrote:
bb2sbgn and Preemy: Thanks a lot for your help guys.
If things have not changed, your next steps will be an interview, I have some tips if needed, let me know, disclosure forms to sign & send for Discloures and backround check, and a physical exam, after all that....the call for a condition offer of Employment, as far as a time frame...... none, although if it seems that there were hirings, and the applicant postings are gone, That may be a bad sign, Nothing wrong within reasonable time if you do not hear anything, call HR, but being over agressive does no justice. I know your anxious, but remember... A watched pot never boils. Hope corespondences come soon for you!
Retired

Jacksonville, FL

#3796 Jan 14, 2010
Just an update.

Talked to Holysmokes at the hospital today.

He just had surgery to install a pacemaker/defibrillator.
Preemy

AOL

#3797 Jan 14, 2010
Retired wrote:
Just an update.
Give him my best wishes! We miss hime here!
Who Me

United States

#3798 Jan 14, 2010
Retired wrote:
Just an update.
Tell Holy hello from Who Me and tell him I hope he gets better soon.
But to take his time returning to work. He deserves a break.
ST2 FT

Memphis, TN

#3799 Jan 14, 2010
Get well soon Holy.
bb2sbgn

Canton, GA

#3800 Jan 15, 2010
This may shed some light for some of you guys applying for the Video site operations tech position. I talked to my new supervisor today and found out that training will be in Oklahoma starting on Feb 1. Training will last for 6 weeks.

I would imagine that AT&T will be sending all the new hires from all the states to this training program. I dont know for sure but it makes sense to me so for all the guys waiting for a callback from a recruiter, maybe this will shed some light for you. This is just my speculation though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dallas Fort Worth 5 hr John 2
News Texas' battle over teaching evolution comes dow... 6 hr Honest 9
kinfolk mc member a snitch! 7 hr Real ride or die 6
Ed Taiwo Continental Parts Company 11 hr The Owls 4
Black Thug Watch. Name the black thug criminals... Fri Gov Jerry Brown 15
News Blockbuster to close McKinney distribution cent... (Mar '12) Fri WarForOil 17
Word Game (Nov '12) Fri _Zoey_ 181

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages