AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
Holysmokes - Jax PT

Jacksonville, FL

#3029 Oct 6, 2009
PremTechNoMore wrote:
(page 4 continued)
Wednesday my manger called me into the office and let me know I was discharged.
PremTechNoMore:

Obviously you are a good guy.

I am sorry this has happened to you.

Any possibility of you getting back on with your old OPT crew ?

Good luck in whatever you do.

Holysmokes
Former Prem Tech

Morris, CT

#3030 Oct 6, 2009
Tech No More, Just feel strong in the fact that there are many, many more who know full well exactly what you are talking about. The main thing to realize it is not your fault. Gee wiz, ATT needs to pay shrinks for the managers and the rank and file! Nothing wrong with making a buck but now capitalism has turned into a preditor eating it's own young. The middle class hasn't fallen so fast since 1929 and they are the professionals making $75,000-$150,000! God help the rest of us! I say time to find another country where people are treated as people. And yes, it will get worse. Much worse.
st miami

Miami, FL

#3031 Oct 6, 2009
Met a pt assigned to our yard, nice guy and very smart, however he asked me about some test you guys do in early training that they have about 2hrs to complete and it is about doing wiring to a mock house in the training center and it is a pass or fail test. Anyone knows about it? I also directed him to this forum.
Preemy

AOL

#3032 Oct 6, 2009
Holysmokes - Jax PT wrote:
<quoted text>
???
Preemy:
I know you like to joke alot, and sometimes your humor is a bit odd, but, YOU must be on drugs to have written what you just wrote.
Get real, people aren't doing illegal drugs to speed up their installs.
IF there is a drug used at work, it is in the form of cigarettes.
I use a good breakfast, and gatorade to get me thru the day.
Please..
Stop messing with the minds of the new guys.
It aint me messing with any pt minds, it management messing with the pt minds we need to worry about, Im just telling it as it is without any remorse, I know for fact that drugs were ceased to pass the test, and some guys here are right back on the wagon, weather the real reason is to get through an install quik or just the lifestyle, I doubt it but it sure is a dependency issue in CA with alot of techs! and I am not just talking cigarettes and rockstar drinks, your way is the best way, and I commmend you , one of the very few exceptions that can actually find time for breakfast, I am very anal about utilization of time, and God help me I cant jugle a healthy lifestyle with this job, Shoveling luch junk food whenever, having dinner with the vampires and breakfast usually is the most important that gets neglected. POW WEE!
Preemy

AOL

#3033 Oct 6, 2009
Good luck to new guys waiting for the call, I must leave to go "hook up cable and see my backstabbinf coworkers, I will try to post from my IFD, Hey att catch me if you can!
Good Day Guys & Girls
Oh Thanks for Sh$t CWA
PremTechNoMore

Hialeah, FL

#3034 Oct 6, 2009
(page 5 continued)
your life miserable if we want to”. This of course was their scare tactic and it worked I am sure.

There are a ton of other factors involved in this not mentioned here ie: the areas we worked, the types of structures we were installing in, etc. We installed U-Verse in every type of structure from the filthy rat infested houses in the ghetto to multi-million dollar flats on South Beach to architectural nightmares in Coral Gables and Key Biscayne.
Our market is South Florida – specifically Miami and surrounding areas, and this push to bring as many customers on line as possible in as short a period of time as possible may all be driven by forces from above, which makes sense, and may very well at the end of the day be the cause of this type of abuse. Everything rolls downhill in one form or another.

For the most part, everyone I ever met out in the field were great people to work with. For the record, I never met an ST out in the field that wasn’t aware of what the company was doing to PremTech’s and that did not sympathize with us. If you talk to enough guys you get a lot of the same stories. Some are studying their options because they can feel which way the wind is blowing. I have heard there is PremTechs in Broward County (north of Miami) that are resigning their positions.

Here’s my main reason for posting this experience. I am sure that if I concentrated and tried really hard I probably would still be out. In this type of environment just doing the right thing is not enough. You have to be willing to do the “wrong” thing to make sure your #’s are up there and your job is secure. If not, you will be put out on the street like a discarded gum wrapper.

I am no longer working for the largest telecommunications company in the world –(I’ve seen the video). I am past the “I was wronged” stage of this whole experience – I don’t do crazy anymore. Maybe if enough people come forward or if this abuse – the term “human slavery” came up many times in my yard)– get’s enough publicity – something can be done. I know a lot of people that are NOT convinced that once the position goes union the PremTechs will have a leg to stand on regarding these unfair practices. The jury is still out on this one given contract negotiations are still under way. For a lot of the guys I worked with, it is the only thing that keeps them coming to work every day.

You have to ask yourself if this is the kind of environment that you want to base your future security on. There is no doubt that this company is ruthless in their methodologies and I am sure that a lot of this comes from a historical place where management is always fighting the union to squeeze more blood out of the workers. I realize the market out there is currently tough and a lot of guys are desperate for a job, me included now. Still, this type of situation can only sustain itself if nobody is willing to stand up and attempt to reveal anything they think will stop this form of cannibalism without fear of reprisal.
PremTechNoMore

Hialeah, FL

#3035 Oct 6, 2009
(Last page)
If there is only one piece of information posted within this story that may give a better description of the kind of experience a “trainee” PremTech may have to look forward to or provides them with some answers to questions about the reality of the situation then it would be worth it. I read a lot of forums regarding PremTechs, including U-Verse users, and it’s all the same discussion regarding the battle that rages between both sides, the difficulties regarding the actual job, management’s abusive practices, etc. It is all happening in real time and will be interesting to see how the story ends.

Criticism for my post? Bring it on – that is what this forum is about – discussion and information sharing. Everyone has their own opinion and it is valuable and not to be discounted. Some of what I am saying here will not apply to other areas and other guys situations but I am confident there are at least ten other guys still working at my old crew who can verify any of this at any time – anonymously of course.

One of my most common phrases while working as a PremTech was I am old enough now to know a trick bag when I am in one.

I accept full responsibility for not seeing the situation for what it really was and not taking the necessary steps to ensure that this would not happen to me. At the end of the day I was tired and hungry and just wanted to keep the family afloat. In the final analysis the reality of today’s corporate environment is ugly. I know from talking with others in different companies that the same types of things are happening elsewhere, not just at the worlds largest telecommunications company.

Remember, if it looks like a piece of sh*t, walks and talks like a piece of sh*t, smells like a piece of sh*t, acts like a piece of sh*t, I guarantee you- no matter what management tells you- it IS a piece of sh*t. There is not a damn thing you can do about it. The way I see it, this is your starting point and what you have to look forward to.

Good Luck to all who are applying for this position.

Once again, sorry for the long posts but I had written this all out so that I could re-read it myself to try and make sense of the whole thing but when I came upon this forum, could not keep it – I had to send it to you guys. Limit is 4000 characters so I posted one page at a time. I am sure that this may very well be an isolated situation but I am hearing more and more about this and realize how important forums like this are.

Since: Sep 09

Gardner, KS

#3036 Oct 6, 2009
I really enjoy this board and the info that AT&T employees are sharing here.

Let me give you a little background on myself. I graduated from high school in the mid-'80's. I then attended an Aircraft airframe and powerplant school and bumped around for 3 years moving, on average, every 6 months working for different companies since I was unable to obtain full time employment with an airline. After 3 years of moving from one end of the country to the other I called it quits and settled in the Kansas City area and have been here ever since.

From 1992 until now I have learned several different trades(skills) and my wife and I had our own business for the last decade until this past February when the economy caught up to us.

As soon as I was unemployed in Feb. I applied for 12-15 jobs a day so that I could keep a roof over my kids
Heads and food on the table. The job I finally ended up with and currently have is as a night custodian at an
Elementary school. I am paid 12.50/hr with NO overtime. My job includes pulling trash, pulling recycling paper , disinfecting desks and door handles, vacuuming, cleaning up various spills and messes in class rooms, scrubbing hallways, setting up for various after school activities which occur nearly every day.
Cleaning rest rooms which is the highlight of my night since these little kids REFUSE to defecate and/or
urinate in the proper receptacles. Granted I am keeping a roof over our heads and food on the table but
just barely. The job is steady but they have been talking about making cut-backs and/or hiring an outside cleaning company, which have not worked out wherever they are tried.

My wife has a job as an interpreter/translator for Spanish speaking workmen’s comp. physical rehab. cases.
She works on average 8 hrs a week @ 35.00/hr. She loves her job as she is rewarded by grateful patients, doctors and physical therapists and she really does not want a full-time 40 hr/wk job as she gets to meet new people every 8 weeks or so and she has met many good people who have become her good friends.

Over the past 2 weeks I have taken the TMFT-II test and qualified for the interview, which by the way I was called yesterday at my home phone while I was at work. I believe that I will be able to qualify on that and take the next step. I am hoping to be able to reach the interviewer today but have been unsuccessful so far.

After reading a few horror stories here and finding out about this term called job completed I am not really sure that if offered the prem tech position I should take it. I was originally looking at the position as a foot in the door position but that is not looking good from what I have read here.

Any sincere honest opinions would help.

Thnx in advance
PremTechNoMore

Hialeah, FL

#3037 Oct 6, 2009
st miami wrote:
Met a pt assigned to our yard, nice guy and very smart, however he asked me about some test you guys do in early training that they have about 2hrs to complete and it is about doing wiring to a mock house in the training center and it is a pass or fail test. Anyone knows about it? I also directed him to this forum.
I believe that is the final test. Don't worry about it, a dog with a note in his mouth could do it. Just pay attention to how they want it done, think about what you are doing, it won't be a problem. The mock-ups are just plywood setups that have a NID, walls with outlet cutouts, crawl space. They are simplified setups. Remember to cable your setup properly (against the wall) tighten all your fittings, use rubber grommets, wire your diplexer and splitter and Balun correctly.
PreminTraining

Miami, FL

#3038 Oct 6, 2009
Just did my first training day yesterday. I have the 4pm-12pm training because apparently the southeast market is on the rise and they have 2 trianing classes a day. Its tough after about 9pm your brain shuts down. The trainer is very chill and I think learning the install will be a breeze. The only obstacle here in Miami is the Hot Attics and wacky wiring some of these houses have.

Denton, TX

#3039 Oct 6, 2009
Future_PremTech wrote:
I am not really sure that if offered the prem tech position I should take it. I was originally looking at the position as a foot in the door position but that is not looking good from what I have read here.
Any sincere honest opinions would help.
Thnx in advance
Future_PremTech, do not be discouraged by all the negativity in this forum. It is certainly a job you're capable of and it is certainly a job worth wanting. Just understand that it's a job and not a career. As with any employer in this day and age, the most assured path to advancement is to use each 3-5 year term as a building block.
Starting with AT&T at an entry level, like nearly every other company today, means you'll have very limited opportunity to for advancement within. However, the time you spend with AT&T will be valuable in the workplace. After you've served your time for 3 or 4 years, use your experience and history with AT&T to land a position at a slightly higher level with a another large comm provider or manufacturer.
If you take this job as a chance to build something good for your family, you'll appreciate it for WHAT IT IS. This will prevent you from getting so discouraged, like the others in this forum, when AT&T lets you know that you're not one of they're key players and the PT position isn't their life's blood.
Blessings to you and your family
TMTF-Qualified

Lebanon, TN

#3040 Oct 6, 2009
I took my TMTF II and only received a "Qualified". Does HR see your actual scores? I'm sure I did very well on the exam but only have a fair resume for this position. I was hoping the score would help me if/when competing with others with "stronger" resumes yet lesser TMTF scores. Anyone have any idea if the actual score comes into play?

Gardner, KS

#3041 Oct 6, 2009
Thanks fwtx, for the advice. I have learned over the past 20 years to look at jobs the way you have stated. Who knows maybe some emplyees who have been there for 3+ decades will start retiring, maybe not. Either way I will learn what I can as quick as I can.

The following is what I did today.

I just got off the phone with an hr staffing mngr, very nice lady by the way, passed(qualified) to move to the next step of waiting for an offer. I was told that pay is up to 13.08/hr, could work 4 days 10 hrs or 5 x 8, might on call 24/7, rotating day off, up to 70 hrs/wk.

Pay is only $.58/hr more than what I make now but the way it sounds the overtime alone will be about $200/wk more.

I have a lot of thinking to do.

“where's the ball”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3042 Oct 6, 2009
Question for Uverse installation techs. Why do Uverse installers claim that the RG6 distribution in a given home does not work for their installation? This happens in homes that have coax and Ethernet jacks at the TV locations in the house. I know that most homes do not have Ethernet jacks at the TV locations. Does it have anything to do with not wanting to make the RG6 jumpers?
fiber optic

Stone Mountain, GA

#3043 Oct 6, 2009
Does anyone know what NCS stands for? I was trying to order some shirts, but came across that small problem on the password.
Former Prem Tech

United States

#3044 Oct 6, 2009
Future Prem Tech, the above post left out a few things. Yes, you can make it doing this if you are willing to work 6 days a week and more than 10 hours a day. You sometimes do not even know when and if you will have a day off. It is a decent job for a young guy with no life and no wife. It can be done if you are willing to sacrifice your life for poor wages.
Preemy

AOL

#3045 Oct 6, 2009
fiber optic wrote:
Does anyone know what NCS stands for? I was trying to order some shirts, but came across that small problem on the password.
NCS.... Stands For Net Credited Service Date, This is the date you were hired and started work, Everything is based on that for signiority purposes and puts you in a specific position, due to the large amount of employees, you will find other employees with the same NCS so to differentiate the difference in signiority, each will be higher depending on the social security number and the lowest gains higher, that date is always important in your whole time of employment, Just another acronym that will become second nature of the 50 thousand others you will learn in the Bellcore language.
Pair Changer

Conyers, GA

#3046 Oct 6, 2009
fiber optic wrote:
It's your Hire or Start date.
Holysmokes - Jax PT

Jacksonville, FL

#3047 Oct 6, 2009
st miami wrote:
Yes, it is exactly as you describe.

The trainee must complete a planned install of coax or cat5, or both in the prescribed time.

I think I talked about it on page 46 or 48 of this forum.
Holysmokes - Jax PT

Jacksonville, FL

#3048 Oct 6, 2009
PremTechNoMore wrote:
(Last page)
Good Luck to all who are applying for this position.
Once again, sorry for the long posts but I had written this all out so that I could re-read it myself to try and make sense of the whole thing but when I came upon this forum, could not keep it – I had to send it to you guys. Limit is 4000 characters so I posted one page at a time. I am sure that this may very well be an isolated situation but I am hearing more and more about this and realize how important forums like this are.
PremTechNoMore:

Thank you very much writing all of this.

Everyone should go into this job with their eyes OPEN, as I believe your story is not unusual in the NEW AT&T.

Good Luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After Presidential recount Trump will win the P... 4 hr The Truth 1
$20 or under gifts 8 hr Cmmerchandise 1
Spoiling a lady 8 hr SaveYourself 4
War for Oil where are you loser????? 12 hr WarForOil 21
News Substitute teacher accused of sex with Kimball ... 16 hr Vincent The Chin ... 1
Lookin for an oc hook up in dallas (Dec '13) Wed Ora 5
Chris suprin Dec 6 Timber 2

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages