AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
ghiotom

Saint Augustine, FL

#206 Mar 15, 2008
cabledog wrote:
Does anyone know if At&t hires convicted felons.
I have a felony from 13 years ago.
I am a licensed low voltage contractor by trade-but biggest trouble getting the work.
I have been offered to take their basic electricity test.
I know AT&T and other big companies get tax credits for hiring "fringe" candidates or people with convictions, disabilities, or other criteria which make it hard for them to get employed. However, if you were convicted of killing your boss, you're probably SOL.

Since: Mar 08

United States

#207 Mar 15, 2008
Some of these AT&T jobs I'm finding are described as "Limited Term." In fact, all of them are except for the Prem Tech jobs. Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly that means? I guess its better than temporary, but doesn't exactly sound like much of a guarantee.

Modesto, CA

#208 Mar 15, 2008
Franky5Angel wrote:
On another note, what type of work boots does anyone recommend?
If you can afford "Redwings", if you can afford them, they are about as comfortable as you can get. If not, I've used Sears "Diehards" (around $100) not bad for the price, especially if you will be shimming poles!

Modesto, CA

#209 Mar 15, 2008
QwestTech wrote:
Some of these AT&T jobs I'm finding are described as "Limited Term." In fact, all of them are except for the Prem Tech jobs. Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly that means? I guess its better than temporary, but doesn't exactly sound like much of a guarantee.
In my testing session (Sacramento, CA) the "suit" walked in and gave us the wages for experienced and non-experienced. He told us 2 years minimum (TEMP), Also said if we had any type of integrity and solid work ethic we would be offered permanant. Funny, I'm a journeyman IBEW member (sound & communication, no work in my hall) But they told us California is CWA. Doesn't make sense to me.
att crt ir and proac

New Orleans, LA

#210 Mar 15, 2008
QwestTech wrote:
The difference between term and temp is really a kind of play on words. Temp makes it easier to send you home, where as term is the amount of time the company says they need you for. If they say you are term for two years, After that, you can bid on a permanent job or they extend the term which starts to get confusing. I never could get two people (management or union) to give me the same answer because when the term is up technically your position is no longer needed and then they close and reopen it, post bids and you pray you get it back. The worst deal for anyone is part time because every week you loose 8 hrs of senority. I am speaking of the existing contract in the 9 bellsouth states acquired in the merger. If you are not in those states, it could be a totally different deal than what i'm saying and may not apply to you.
att crt ir and proac

New Orleans, LA

#211 Mar 15, 2008
Fiberoptikid wrote:
<quoted text>In my testing session (Sacramento, CA) the "suit" walked in and gave us the wages for experienced and non-experienced. He told us 2 years minimum (TEMP), Also said if we had any type of integrity and solid work ethic we would be offered permanant. Funny, I'm a journeyman IBEW member (sound & communication, no work in my hall) But they told us California is CWA. Doesn't make sense to me.
I never understood that either. Cwa is a closed shop, so they have the lockdown on at&t. The wierd thing about it is that they really aren't like the IBEW where you go to the hall and they have work with different companies. Where we are, if you get laid off, you kind of hit the street. They have programs and job pool but its not like you could go to the hall and see if verizon or some other CWA affiliated company has any work. I don't know if thats the case everywhere, but thats how it is in new orleans
Franky5Angel

United States

#212 Mar 15, 2008
Fiberoptikid wrote:
<quoted text>If you can afford "Redwings", if you can afford them, they are about as comfortable as you can get. If not, I've used Sears "Diehards" (around $100) not bad for the price, especially if you will be shimming poles!
Thanks for the info.
new hire

Saint Charles, MO

#213 Mar 15, 2008
att crt ir and proac wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you guys have much to worry about. This is just my personal opinion, and the union will probably say different, but i've seen this before in my area. We don't even have premiss techs right now, but this is almost verbatim what happened when adsl was first deployed. Bellsouth had hired off the street for dsl techs and made them a much lower wage scale than service techs. Once the dsl saturated the market, the union worked with the company on a one visit concept. It no longer became viable for a sperate crew and was a duplication of effort. The dsl techs were merged into service techs to handle the load and now all techs do adsl.
So how long do you think it will take for the newly hired prem techs to move up into different positions? Also, how much do those different postions start out paying.

Thanks for the help
att crt ir and proac

New Orleans, LA

#214 Mar 16, 2008
new hire wrote:
<quoted text>
So how long do you think it will take for the newly hired prem techs to move up into different positions? Also, how much do those different postions start out paying.
Thanks for the help
It will take a while in most cases. I want to say the premiss tech title will hold you to 36 mo. time and title. This can be waived if they want, but I wouldnt count on it. service techs newly hired by us only have to wait for 15 mo. before they are elligible to bid on other jobs. Get all the experience you can because this title isn't going anywhere for a long time. U-verse is going to be much more involved than adsl ever was. I think other states make a little more than we do, but top pay is 28.37 an hour, total of 5 weeks worth of off days, and you don't pay anything for medical, dental, or vision. Over nine hours is double time, which is something the company screwed premiss techs on from what I understand. premiss techs are on overtime only, no matter how many hours you work. Its still not a bad deal all in all. You have to keep in mind, I started @ Bellsouth 8 yrs ago @ 13.25 an hour.
new hire

Saint Charles, MO

#215 Mar 16, 2008
att crt ir and proac wrote:
<quoted text>
It will take a while in most cases. I want to say the premiss tech title will hold you to 36 mo. time and title. This can be waived if they want, but I wouldnt count on it. service techs newly hired by us only have to wait for 15 mo. before they are elligible to bid on other jobs. Get all the experience you can because this title isn't going anywhere for a long time. U-verse is going to be much more involved than adsl ever was. I think other states make a little more than we do, but top pay is 28.37 an hour, total of 5 weeks worth of off days, and you don't pay anything for medical, dental, or vision. Over nine hours is double time, which is something the company screwed premiss techs on from what I understand. premiss techs are on overtime only, no matter how many hours you work. Its still not a bad deal all in all. You have to keep in mind, I started @ Bellsouth 8 yrs ago @ 13.25 an hour.
Three years would be worth wait. Hopefully, when the when the contract is up in 09 the union can do a little more for us.
james

Fresno, CA

#216 Mar 16, 2008
cabledog wrote:
Does anyone know if At&t hires convicted felons.
I have a felony from 13 years ago.
I am a licensed low voltage contractor by trade-but biggest trouble getting the work.
I have been offered to take their basic electricity test.
most of the time they only go back 7 years but you should be alright i would not put it down but if you do besure to let let them know its all tooken care i have a friend who did not put it down and they told him he could not get the job but they went back 10 years and they had to give him the job because they feared they would get sued after they gave him the job at first then took the offer off the table because of the background but they called him back because he brought that 7 year law up.
james

Fresno, CA

#217 Mar 16, 2008
Fiberoptikid wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Bro- If you don't have pole climbing exp. you'll be just fine. From what I've heard from friends already working at AT&T the last thing they want you to do is climb. You will use a span ladder or bucket whenever possible (liability purposes). In CA they are testing out a new safety belt that squeezes you to the pole and holds you there if you gaff out or start to burn the pole. From what I understand it monitors heart pulse-rate, breathes and more. Climbing becomes second nature after a while, just get good boots (Redwings are well worth the money)Good Luck, I'm still in the dark as to my progress in the system.
i hear the same thing but who knows when that will be i am in cali
james

Fresno, CA

#218 Mar 16, 2008
doe's anyone know what att splicing tech gets paid and who works harder prem tech or splice tech and what is it that the splice tech does

Victor, CA

#219 Mar 16, 2008
james wrote:
doe's anyone know what att splicing tech gets paid and who works harder prem tech or splice tech and what is it that the splice tech does
Hey James, your only an hr. and half from me in locality. Where did you test at? When? I took a 10 minute computer test, afterwards they called about 5 of us (out of about 50) out of the room and told us our previous work experience would suffice (no further testing required). It was then I was told a "Splicing Tech" with my experience would gross $1100 a wk., no experience would be $723 a week. Max for "Prem Techs" would be $500 a wk. with an increase every 6 months. Benefits from day 1. Also wages would be the same in 6 wks. of training. I was told the training would be in Pleasanton, CA. Only 40 minutes from where I live. Let me know if you hear anything. Good Luck Bro!
james

Fresno, CA

#221 Mar 16, 2008
thanks alot
mike

Fresno, CA

#222 Mar 16, 2008
anybody care to answer

Victor, CA

#223 Mar 17, 2008
mike wrote:
anybody care to answer
No doubt! There have to be some Cali boys out there who have gone through the process or are working already. I've seen subs from "VOLT" looking like the Beverly Hillbillies (span ladders strapped to the top of cars) installing VRADS all the way from Sacramento to Merced! Someone has got to have some info. Unfortunately AT&T is very tight lipped about the whole thing. I worked on Verizon FTTH in Huntington Beach in "04", it turned out to be the biggest circus fiasco I ever saw. Fiber Techs right out of school turned it into a nightmare. Hope AT&T has got their dookie a little bit more together than they did!
Wiredawg68

United States

#224 Mar 17, 2008
I've been catching up on all of your postings. It seems everyone has the same questions about pay, benefits and job security. It's sad that there is so much uncertainty with such a large company. I tested about 4 years ago with SBC here in Oklahoma and have been in contact with the new ATT several times since. The testing was a breeze as I have over 7 years experience through the military. Unfortunately, nothing has transpired since I tested. I was told I was qualified and the next call I would receive would be for drug testing. Two weeks later I called to see why I had never received that call and was told they had already filled all the positions in my area. Recently, I put in for the premise tech and also the service tech positions that are available in Oklahoma. Hopefully, I will actually hear back from them this time. I hope all of you who are going through the "process" come out with what you deserve. Best of luck!
new hire

Saint Charles, MO

#225 Mar 17, 2008
Thanks! Good luck to you too.
OLDSCHOOL

White House, TN

#226 Mar 18, 2008
QwestTech wrote:
means they give you a job maybe for 3yrs if they choose to renew your job than your there for another limited term you work one day they may send you home the next

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
((>Last Post<)) (Dec '12) 17 hr Princess Hey 473
Need carpet an flooring cheap. 23 hr Skynyrd 3
Fat GOP rep apologizes for lewd photo shared on... Thu Gary hart 2
News Food News: Dodie's Catches Heat For Caitlyn Jen... Wed AKA Crammer 2
Job opportunity Tue indpntgirl 1
Diana Friedman is suing the founder of The Fat... (Jun '15) Nov 21 Amon Carter 22
Dwaine Caraway: Take Down Dim Statchers Nov 20 Dwaine Caraway 1

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages