AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
ghiotom

Saint Augustine, FL

#186 Mar 11, 2008
I saw the job posted on 2-13-08 and sent my resume and filled out an application on the same day. I did everything (drug screen, background check, physical, interviews) in between and I start on 3-13-08.

Since: Mar 08

Tracy, CA

#187 Mar 11, 2008
Ghiotom - Thanks, I guess they have no clear cut rhyme or reason as to protocol. Do you have to go through 6-7 wks. of training?, also were you hired as a "Splicing Tech" or a "Premises Tech"? Even though I have yrs. of experience splicing I was told I have to go through 6 wks. of training, including pole-climbing, which I was probably doing when our orientation person was in diapers. The wages, benefits & union backing are worth it for me!!! I actually fired up the first FIOS-FTTH hub (432 ct. ribbon fiber)for Verizon back in "04". Anyone know if AT&T is "mass-fusing" in this system?
UVerse Tech

United States

#188 Mar 11, 2008
Frito2anywhere wrote:
Is anyone in here familiar w/ the telecommunication technician field or know about a AT&T position called a "Premises Technician"? I JUST TOOK THIS HARD ASS TEST for this position and they would even disclose the salary. The test was like 30-40 outta 60(read the paragraph that explains a diagram, than answer 2-3) questions(relating to the type of work you would be doing if hired)in 60 min...WTF!!
P.T. is for a service called U-verse. I've been working here for about 4 months.. pay starts at 10.6475 and top pay is around 19. We are in a union and a 3 yr contract. The test was CRAZY unbelievable but some of that stuff helps out in the field like that tip and ring and the pole grounding. It's different pay depending on where you live and each job is different depending on the house. It's installing cable through the phone and HISA. Hope that helped
ghiotom

Saint Augustine, FL

#189 Mar 11, 2008
Fiberoptikid: I'm being hired as a service technician, which is basically the good old telephone guy. They are just now hiring for prem techs around here and they are NOT union in this area. As I understand, I will be doing drive alongs until training starts and I don't know how long training lasts once it starts. Hopefully, I won't have trouble with pole climbing. Good luck and hang in there. By the way, your starting salary looks really good(a lot more than mine), even for CA.
cabledog

Woodstock, GA

#190 Mar 11, 2008
Does anyone know if At&t hires convicted felons.
I have a felony from 13 years ago.
I am a licensed low voltage contractor by trade-but biggest trouble getting the work.
I have been offered to take their basic electricity test.
BrandoKC

Menomonee Falls, WI

#191 Mar 12, 2008
BillyBob-

No idea on how the tours will work yet. I believe it is up to your manager.
The orientation was as fun as they could make it. I was impressed with it and ready to go to work afterwards.
Best of luck to you!
Andy

Miami, FL

#192 Mar 12, 2008
Hey I just applied online and got to schedule a time to go take my test is there anything I should remember that can help me
maddogg220

Wayland, MI

#193 Mar 12, 2008
Andy wrote:
Hey I just applied online and got to schedule a time to go take my test is there anything I should remember that can help me
No. They are just looking for people who aren't retarded.
BrandoKC

Menomonee Falls, WI

#194 Mar 13, 2008
Can anyone tell me how difficult the wiring training/test is? It's the only part of training that I'm concerned about since I have no prior professional wiring experience. Thanks in advance!
franky5angel

Blue Springs, MO

#195 Mar 13, 2008
BrandoKC wrote:
Can anyone tell me how difficult the wiring training/test is? It's the only part of training that I'm concerned about since I have no prior professional wiring experience. Thanks in advance!
No, because I haven't taken it yet.
att cst

Sugar Land, TX

#196 Mar 13, 2008
Prem tech..

You are crazy if you think you do as much work as we do. You wouldn't know where to begin when splicing 700pr's of ca. Working 28ft in the air in 100 degree weather/freezing rain. You guys mess up more pots/dsl lines than you do u-verse installs.

You stay on one job all day long doing all "inside work". While we do 5-10 jobs a day.
QwestTech

United States

#197 Mar 13, 2008
So is U-verse in Jacksonville, FL yet? Just got a reply to start testing for Prem Tech, and I just applied yesterday. Interestingly, the email said
"Payranges from $520 up to $negotiable. Actual starting wages are based on verifiable job related experience/education."
I've got 7+ years at Qwest working T1, POTS, ISDN and a little DSL. Anyone getting hired in on the Prem Tech title at a higher wage than $15 an hour, or is that the max currently?
Lynn

United States

#198 Mar 14, 2008
My boyfriend just got hired as a prem tech and is in the middle of his 7 Week training. He is making $723 a week but has 3 years electrician experience, but not licensed. He seems pretty happy right now. His friend's dad has worked at AT&T for 30 years and has good things to say
new hire

Saint Charles, MO

#199 Mar 14, 2008
I just got hired today as a prem tech...I start my training in about 3 weeks. I got hired in a 13.06/hour....That is the most they could offer anyone according to the lady who made me the job offer.

She did say that when the current union contract runs out that the union is going to try to do more for the prem techs....lets hope that this is true
Fiberoptikid

Jackson, CA

#200 Mar 14, 2008
ghiotom wrote:
Fiberoptikid: I'm being hired as a service technician, which is basically the good old telephone guy. They are just now hiring for prem techs around here and they are NOT union in this area. As I understand, I will be doing drive alongs until training starts and I don't know how long training lasts once it starts. Hopefully, I won't have trouble with pole climbing. Good luck and hang in there. By the way, your starting salary looks really good(a lot more than mine), even for CA.
Hey Bro- If you don't have pole climbing exp. you'll be just fine. From what I've heard from friends already working at AT&T the last thing they want you to do is climb. You will use a span ladder or bucket whenever possible (liability purposes). In CA they are testing out a new safety belt that squeezes you to the pole and holds you there if you gaff out or start to burn the pole. From what I understand it monitors heart pulse-rate, breathes and more. Climbing becomes second nature after a while, just get good boots (Redwings are well worth the money)Good Luck, I'm still in the dark as to my progress in the system.
att crt ir and proac

United States

#201 Mar 15, 2008
I have to agree about the work thing. I have been a service tech, dsl tech(when the title was separate) and am now a facility tech. I have worked new orleans through every hurricane especially katrina, and can tell you all tech jobs can be frustrating in their own way. everyone thinks their job is harder and everyone else doesn't do anything. Its all crap. If you are useless, you are useless. If you have a work ethic, you have a work ethic. It sucks to crawl under a house running wires everywhere, router problems, unknowledgeable and apethetic management, business office messups that you get screamed at for by customers, plant that won't support bandwidth..... the list is endless. It also sucks to be in a manhole in a city below sea level with a wet paper 2400 and two pumps that you are praying don't fail because the water comes in like a waterfall. There may be down time but the end result is we all work hard and the company is a good company to make a living and get good benefits.
att cst wrote:
Prem tech..
You are crazy if you think you do as much work as we do. You wouldn't know where to begin when splicing 700pr's of ca. Working 28ft in the air in 100 degree weather/freezing rain. You guys mess up more pots/dsl lines than you do u-verse installs.
You stay on one job all day long doing all "inside work". While we do 5-10 jobs a day.
att crt ir and proac

United States

#202 Mar 15, 2008
new hire wrote:
I just got hired today as a prem tech...I start my training in about 3 weeks. I got hired in a 13.06/hour....That is the most they could offer anyone according to the lady who made me the job offer.
She did say that when the current union contract runs out that the union is going to try to do more for the prem techs....lets hope that this is true
I don't think you guys have much to worry about. This is just my personal opinion, and the union will probably say different, but i've seen this before in my area. We don't even have premiss techs right now, but this is almost verbatim what happened when adsl was first deployed. Bellsouth had hired off the street for dsl techs and made them a much lower wage scale than service techs. Once the dsl saturated the market, the union worked with the company on a one visit concept. It no longer became viable for a sperate crew and was a duplication of effort. The dsl techs were merged into service techs to handle the load and now all techs do adsl.
att crt ir and proac

United States

#203 Mar 15, 2008
For some reason this post shows me working in atlanta, I work in New Orleans though.
Franky5Angel

United States

#204 Mar 15, 2008
I agree with att crt ir and poac. work is work and you either take pride in your job or you don't. Be glad you got or have a job, believe me, there are many out there that would love to have this job or any job. I can tell you from experience, desk jobs suck. I just wish I would have paid more attention to this job field 10 years ago. See you all out on the road.
Franky5Angel

United States

#205 Mar 15, 2008
On another note, what type of work boots does anyone recommend?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 12 hr Princess Hey 1,635
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) Sat winner 1,161
Ladonia shelter, videos taken by Lily Wolfe owner Feb 20 Beware 1
Took policeman 1 hour to come? Feb 20 Blkpwr 3
News Missing Irving Womana s Body Found In Trinity R... (Apr '11) Feb 20 rhollandblackburn 21
Can-nabis-blue-dream-moon-rocks available Feb 18 Not a cop 2
Mary Ellen Sneed Feb 14 Jean 1

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages