United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Judged:

Is anyone in here familiar w/ the telecommunication technician field or know about a AT&T position called a "Premises Technician"? I JUST TOOK THIS HARD ASS TEST for this position and they would even disclose the salary. The test was like 30-40 outta 60(read the paragraph that explains a diagram, than answer 2-3) questions(relating to the type of work you would be doing if hired)in 60 min...WTF!!
sold- to- att

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

Premise Tech is a title they have tried to implement around their 22 state territory to create a two-tier wage and benefit employee. The work a premise tech would do is work our service techs have been doing since Alexander invented the phone. You will top out at close to $700 a week after 5 years and would have no pension or retirement benefits. They would also tell you when you have to use one week of your vacation each year and send you home without pay if they deem it necessary for the "Needs of the business". And you thought the test sucked...
Bruce Campbell

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Judged:

I just got hired for this position. I start at $13.08 an hour and the top pay for this position as of now is $16.75 an hour. I'm assuming that by the time I get to top pay it will be higher than that. I did get hired at the 3 year pay scale because of my schooling, so it will take 2 years, instead of 5 to get to top pay. I will be the first to admit that the pay is not on par with the other jobs at AT&T but hopefully, now that I have a foot in the door, I will be able to bid into a higher paying position after a few years.
By the way, I live in the St.louis area.
THE LAW

Keller, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Judged:

Frito2anywhere wrote:
Is anyone in here familiar w/ the telecommunication technician field or know about a AT&T position called a "Premises Technician"? I JUST TOOK THIS HARD ASS TEST for this position and they would even disclose the salary. The test was like 30-40 outta 60(read the paragraph that explains a diagram, than answer 2-3) questions(relating to the type of work you would be doing if hired)in 60 min...WTF!!
Do your part as an American..........
We are now also clueing in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to all suspected illegals that work, plus their employers if we know of them. The IRS takes very unkindly to the employers especially that seek to evade taxes by paying cash for daywork type labor, which is common at construction sites, lawn services and some factories. Their fraud/criminal investigations number is ONE, EIGHT HUNDRED, EIGHT, TWO, NINE, ZERO, FOUR, THREE, THREE. nationwide. USE IT. They can be more effective than the INS in many cases and will do the investigative work, then if they uncover illegals will contact the INS who will come in at the end, make the arrests and take the credit. The employers however usually can't run and they take the big hit.

You may also call. TWO, ONE, FOUR, NINE ZERO FIVE, FIVE, EIGHT, ZERO, SEVEN Dallas office, for Eastern Texas.

Please remember if you know their work place it is also illegal for the employer to work them so you must turn in that employer also.

PLEASE CALL THIS NUMBER IF YOU SUSPECT SOMEONE OF BEING ILLEGAL AND HAVE DECENT FACTS. ONE, EIGHT HUNDRED, EIGHT, TWO, NINE, ZERO, FOUR, THREE, THREE.
Dcg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2007

Judged:

Frito2anywhere wrote:
The premise tech is a INSIDE service tech that is responsiple for the install and wiring for the new uverse system and for dsl. PAY STARTS AT 8.00 PER HR AND TOPS OUT AFTER 5 YEARS AT 15.00...Its a ridiculous test
look elsewhere

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

Judged:

The pay for the premises technician is ridiculously low, especially when you compare it to other jobs at AT&T. Even the customer service reps that do nothing but talk on the phone all day make about 4 dollars more an hour. It is hard to believe that this is a union job. The union that represents them, the CWA (Communication Workers of America) should be ashamed of themselves for doing such a piss poor job.
Mor2me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Judged:

The Primise tech job in florida is not union it is contracted out becouse the union would not deal with the company wanting to pay so little.
Mor2me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Judged:

because
Tim A

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

Bruce Campbell wrote:
I just got hired for this position. I start at $13.08 an hour and the top pay for this position as of now is $16.75 an hour. I'm assuming that by the time I get to top pay it will be higher than that. I did get hired at the 3 year pay scale because of my schooling, so it will take 2 years, instead of 5 to get to top pay. I will be the first to admit that the pay is not on par with the other jobs at AT&T but hopefully, now that I have a foot in the door, I will be able to bid into a higher paying position after a few years.
Hi Bruce, I have to take the test to become a Premise Tech and was wondering if you could recommend some reference material to help me prepare for the test.
Tim A

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

Judged:

Hi Bruce, I have to take the test to become a Premise Tech and was wondering if you could recommend some reference material to help me prepare for the test.
Prem Tech

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2007

Judged:

I am a prem tech for AT&T. I have been installing U-Verse for over a year. I wouldn't recommend taking the Job in Dallas. I am currently loaned out to Dallas from my market in another city to help out. U-Verse is a disaster here. It is plagued by mis-management, shoddy planning, and poorly trained / idiotic prem techs. It is a much better idea to try to get hired as one of the first prem techs in a new U-Verse market. Since AT&T is a union company, everything is based on senority. Our union contract is up in April of '09. There are an exorbent amount of I/R, ELM, and Pair Gain techs that will retire before the contract is up. Prem Techs that are in the upper levels of seniority, like myself, will be able to transfer to these open postitions. Which all pay 30+ an hour. I look at this position as if I was an apprentice. Its all about the light at the end of the tunnel. Prem techs do five times as much work (Not an exaggeration in the least.) as the previously mentioned technical postions and get half the pay. I compensate for the low pay with overtime and per diem. Truthfully I actually enjoy the job and the people I work with... but its not for everybody.
Kneeco

Hampton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Hey, sold- to- att,

I have been offered the AT&T Sales Associate position and I'm about to test for the Premise Tech position. Which would you recommend? You live near me, so you would have a good grasp. If the premise tech position pays more than the sales position (starting at $517 per wk and going to $600+ by years end), then I'm going for it because I will have freedom to move around right? Any extra insight you could give me would be helpful.
sold- to- att wrote:
Premise Tech is a title they have tried to implement around their 22 state territory to create a two-tier wage and benefit employee. The work a premise tech would do is work our service techs have been doing since Alexander invented the phone. You will top out at close to $700 a week after 5 years and would have no pension or retirement benefits. They would also tell you when you have to use one week of your vacation each year and send you home without pay if they deem it necessary for the "Needs of the business". And you thought the test sucked...
Light Wave Test

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Why don't you get a fiber optics "SONET" test job for over $30.00 PER HOUR plus per diem and company expenses from truck to maintenance and round trip ticket per month for a week vacation. guaranted work for 15 hours per day (over 8 is overtime). Tax free for a year.
Prem Tech wrote:
I am a prem tech for AT&T. I have been installing U-Verse for over a year. I wouldn't recommend taking the Job in Dallas. I am currently loaned out to Dallas from my market in another city to help out. U-Verse is a disaster here. It is plagued by mis-management, shoddy planning, and poorly trained / idiotic prem techs. It is a much better idea to try to get hired as one of the first prem techs in a new U-Verse market. Since AT&T is a union company, everything is based on senority. Our union contract is up in April of '09. There are an exorbent amount of I/R, ELM, and Pair Gain techs that will retire before the contract is up. Prem Techs that are in the upper levels of seniority, like myself, will be able to transfer to these open postitions. Which all pay 30+ an hour. I look at this position as if I was an apprentice. Its all about the light at the end of the tunnel. Prem techs do five times as much work (Not an exaggeration in the least.) as the previously mentioned technical postions and get half the pay. I compensate for the low pay with overtime and per diem. Truthfully I actually enjoy the job and the people I work with... but its not for everybody.
Light Wave Test

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

Forget assy test, they'll send you to SONET class and take a test after two weeks of class.
IRV

Escondido, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

BOY, AM I DISCOURAGED AFTER READING ABOUT THE PREMISES TECH POS. I RETIRED FROM PAC BELL ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO, THOUGHT I'D GET BACK INTO THE BELL SYSTEM, SINCE I HAVE TO WORK ANOTHER 20 YEARS. I'M SURE THE COMPANY ISNT TELLING THE ENTIRE TRUTH, OR, THEY ARE TELLING US ALL WHAT THEY WANT US TO HEAR...ANYWAY, AFTER ALL THE NEGATIVE VIBES, I'M FORGETTING I EVER SAW THIS!!!
former bellsouth

Milledgeville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

It wont be to easy for these positions to transfer to higher jobs either because of seniority. I have 7 years svc and I am second from the bottom with the top having 42. guess what everyone already working wants. a higher paying title.
shawn

Twinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2007

I'm in the atlanta area and will have the interview part of the process next week. I'm a bit worried about having sufficient income. I'm realize this position is just a stepping stone but in reality, is advancement in the next 5 years or so even possible. With overtime what should I expect to gross a month as a prem tech. what's with the revised contract in april with CWA and what are the expectations regarding influencing the pay for the prem techs.
shawn

Twinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2007

Bruce Campbell wrote:
Bruce,

I live in the atlanta area go for my final interview tuesday. From what I am being told I should be offered a job as premise tech. All I am hearing is negative about this position. Is it a union position in some areas and would that make the advancement or pay opportunities better. I'm a bit hesitant now to take the job after hearing all the bad news. I would gladly take it and sacrifice a few years if afterward it would prove to be a good move resulting in a position of some sort with gross around 45-50K and some security and benefits. Is this possible with this position or is the company shifting to the dark side.

Best Regards,

Shawn
rockingjranch@msn.com
Jay

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2007

my advice would be to go ahead and take the job. i was a prem tech in the dallas area for a bit and it was an ok job. i worked about 65-80 hrs a week though, because its the service is new here and everyone wants it. but go for it!! at least you will have a foot in the door at a major corporation.
shawn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2007

Jay wrote:
my advice would be to go ahead and take the job. i was a prem tech in the dallas area for a bit and it was an ok job. i worked about 65-80 hrs a week though, because its the service is new here and everyone wants it. but go for it!! at least you will have a foot in the door at a major corporation.
thanks for the quick reply. are you still in the field. how long does it take to move up if you have the initiative etc.. I'm assuming the advancement opportunity is good or is it a dead end job unless you are one of the lucky ones. thanks again

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of7,693
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Dallas Forum right now

Search the Dallas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) 1 hr ThinkThinkThink 684
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 1 hr robert 593
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Black tail doe 16,066
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 5 hr Jennifer Renee 315
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 8 hr Jennifer Renee 125
Review: Jupiter Gardens Event Center 8 hr Sandy 1
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 19 hr Deer Sausage 20,408
•••
•••

Dallas News Video

•••
•••

Dallas Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••