Man Eludes Police, Causes Fatal Crash

There are 110 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Mar 17, 2008, titled Man Eludes Police, Causes Fatal Crash. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

Dallas police said a driver that caused a fatal crash overnight sped away from an officer moments before.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
john in mesquite

United States

#1 Mar 17, 2008
when will it end, we need to put people in jail that drink and drive. no free pass go stright to jail.
Big E

Dallas, TX

#2 Mar 17, 2008
Hang 'em. Just hang 'em.
Nat

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Mar 17, 2008
This is why I don't drive around this time of year, in the evening - not worth it. I feel for the families of the victims.
Dennis

Fairport, NY

#4 Mar 17, 2008
And yet because of the backlog in the courts or a bleeding heart lawyer, a fine and drivers licenes suspension...which has probably already happened...and he walks away to do it again....
Elizabeth

Dallas, TX

#5 Mar 17, 2008
IT IS ALWAYS THE INNOCENT ONES THAT ARE KILLED. I CAN NOT REMEMBER A TIME THAT THE DRUNK DRIVER WAS KILLED. THE GOOD ARE DIEYING AND THE BAD ARE STILL HERE. I GUESS WHAT MY FRIEND HAS BEEN TELLING ME FOR YEARS IS TRUE.....THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE TO GO WHEN YOU DIE(HEAVEN) BECAUSE WE ARE ALREADY IN HELL!
First thought

Rockwall, TX

#6 Mar 17, 2008
Police chases cause more sadness than what they prevent. Don't car chase. Seems simple. Someone is dead because an idiot became scared of something and drove faster to escape. I wonder what would have happened if the lights never went on? Form north to south, policy will change over time favoring the potential life saving no chase policy.
joi

United States

#7 Mar 17, 2008
This has nothing to do with St. Paddy's day, as this happens 24/7, esp in Texas.
Fed up with Kunkle

Richardson, TX

#8 Mar 17, 2008
We are so fed up with Kunkle's BS policies. Look what your no chase policy caused here. Didn't save a life did it? That poor innocent driver is dead. Maybe if DPD spiked the drunk or at least been chasing with lights and sirens that other driver's see as well, this could have been avoided. This is a tragedy and I pray for the family of the deceased.

Now, now......here comes the "police chases are dangerous and kill innocent people" arguments. But I guess for them, its alway better to let everyone go....because we all know that in Dallas...the blue lights flashing in your rear view mirror mean that you can pull over if you want...and if you don't...well that's okay to.

VOTE NO CONFIDENCE in KUNKLE!!!
Fed up with Kunkle

Richardson, TX

#9 Mar 17, 2008
First thought wrote:
Police chases cause more sadness than what they prevent. Don't car chase. Seems simple. Someone is dead because an idiot became scared of something and drove faster to escape. I wonder what would have happened if the lights never went on? Form north to south, policy will change over time favoring the potential life saving no chase policy.
So your answer is for police to NEVER do traffic stops????
2nd thought

Aledo, TX

#10 Mar 17, 2008
Don't drive drunk. And you dumb liberal, the officer tried to pull over an already speeding vehicle that was driving irratically. If you think that a no pursue policy is the answer you are wrong. The fact is more drunk, and dangerous drivers kill innocent people than pursuits do. In fact, this was not a pursuit yet, the officer was just trying to pull over a speeder. I guess we should just let anyone drive as fast as they want.
Rekrats

Dallas, TX

#11 Mar 17, 2008
They said that he was "eluding" police, not that the police were actively chasing him. An innocent driver is dead not because of a high-speed chase, but because of a drunken idiot who got behind the wheel when he had no business doing so. It appeared that there was only a few minutes from the time that the drunk sped away, driving erratically, and when the cruiser "caught up" to him - so he was following, not chasing.

It isn't a typical police chase scenario, at least from what I read. Maybe I am wrong. But I think that someone who is driving drunk makes any potential traffic stop unpredictable - the cops didn't control this guy's actions. They were doing their job trying to get him off the road.

If there were never, ever ANY pursuits, even short or low-speed ones, then everyone would know, all you do when you see a cop behind you is RUN - they won't follow. Sometimes, they have to pursue. That's just the way it is.
Local Resident on Scene

Irving, TX

#12 Mar 17, 2008
Way to go Jeremy Watkins your selfishness has claimed a life that had survived 60 years avoiding self absorbed ignoramuses like you. Darwin provedly has a reservation for you. Too bad you did'nt make it and had to claim the life of an innocent soul just trying to get home. You sir have no right to be in our gene pool! May the justice system unleash all it can upon you although it will never bring back the innocence you stole away last night with your self absorbed ignorant actions! May God have questions for you young man!
STARGAZER

Irving, TX

#13 Mar 17, 2008
Stupid man.
Fed up with Kunkle

Richardson, TX

#14 Mar 17, 2008
AMEN Local, Stargazer, Rekrats, & 2nd Thoughts.
Ron

Euless, TX

#15 Mar 17, 2008
Once again, it would be nice if Channel 5 would post whether the DWI suspect is a legal US Citizen or an illegal immigrant.

Someone needs to track this, because for most illegals, just there is nothing lost if they flee, only when caught do they possibly face deportation.
Local on the Scene

Irving, TX

#16 Mar 17, 2008
Ron wrote:
Once again, it would be nice if Channel 5 would post whether the DWI suspect is a legal US Citizen or an illegal immigrant.
Someone needs to track this, because for most illegals, just there is nothing lost if they flee, only when caught do they possibly face deportation.
Ron The Ahat's Name is Jeremy Watkins.
White as pure driven snow!
Please Research people before you spew it is a waste of our time watching you make an ass of yourself!
Just Me

Dallas, TX

#17 Mar 17, 2008
Local on the Scene wrote:
<quoted text>
Ron The Ahat's Name is Jeremy Watkins.
White as pure driven snow!
Please Research people before you spew it is a waste of our time watching you make an ass of yourself!
What about the other three DWI related deaths this weeken at the hands of Hispanic drivers. We are all sick of this trend, illegals drive drunk all the time.
Local on the Scene

Irving, TX

#18 Mar 17, 2008
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the other three DWI related deaths this weekend at the hands of Hispanic drivers. We are all sick of this trend, illegals drive drunk all the time.
[<br><br>]
We are discussing this particular incident not the others. The rant was ignorant and without merit much like your hijack of the thread.[<br><br> ]And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
CBS

Dallas, TX

#19 Mar 17, 2008
The way I see it is that if there is enough officers to put out more of the next few days there should be enough to be out all the time. There have been way to many people killed here lately by Drunk Drivers.
beam me up

Carrollton, TX

#20 Mar 17, 2008
How sad, I hope they throw this guy in jail and keep him there for YEARS! I wonder if he was an illegal, or Hispanic, so many of the Hispanics seem to think it's ok to drink and drive, to drive without insurance, to drive without a license, and they have zero respect for authority, try to run everytime there is an accident...these guys sicken me, I think they should get an automatic DOUBLING of their sentence if they try to run from the scene, this is a fairly new phenomenon, when I was growing up most people were RESPONSIBLE and STOPPED when they hit someone or were being pulled over by the police.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 2 hr texas pete 1,236
Congratulations Hilary! 4 hr Monica Lewinsky 13
andy griffith show is communist propaganda (Aug '07) 4 hr Gomer 86
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 8 hr Milwaukee PT 8,218
News ICE Director Saldana faces protests at Dallas m... Tue wild child 1
John Wiley Price Mon Yep 2
Youth Dance and Drumline Auditions (DFW) May 22 LoveDance24 1
More from around the web

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE