Attorney General Investigates Texas State Troopers Association ...

There are 77 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Oct 5, 2007, titled Attorney General Investigates Texas State Troopers Association .... In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

The Texas attorney general is launching his own investigation after an NBC 5 investigation revealed most of the money donated to the State Troopers Association doesn't go to troopers, but to telemarketers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
kmiirish

Plano, TX

#1 Feb 20, 2008
My husband Unfortunately gave the state trooper's association/police a donation last month. I say unfortunately because now we get several calls weekly for donations. My family are in law enforcement back on the East Coast, so I am always very supportive of our men/women in blue. How do get rid of these calls? We will never give to these donations again. For what from our stand point was a donation of gratitude has now become dread and harassment on their part. Not to mention that we do not normally have any extra money to just freely give.
Thank You!!
Mary B
Mary Dawson

San Antonio, TX

#2 Feb 25, 2008
What is the real purpose of your State Troopers Association and are you opened to show a statement of your expenitures?
BOBJ

United States

#3 Feb 26, 2008
its about time tsta was shut down
Rhonda Blair

Smithville, TX

#4 May 4, 2008
If you want to help, give to the 100 clubs in your area. The money goes directly to families of fallen law enforcement. Their support and funding is unmatched. Texas leads the US in law enforcement killed every year.
Additional fundraisers might be visible in May for Police Memorial Day
kmiirish wrote:
My husband Unfortunately gave the state trooper's association/police a donation last month. I say unfortunately because now we get several calls weekly for donations. My family are in law enforcement back on the East Coast, so I am always very supportive of our men/women in blue. How do get rid of these calls? We will never give to these donations again. For what from our stand point was a donation of gratitude has now become dread and harassment on their part. Not to mention that we do not normally have any extra money to just freely give.
Thank You!!
Mary B
Cal Korab

Lubbock, TX

#5 May 20, 2008
The Texas State Troopers Asscoiation is a total scam and the real troopers at the DPS will tell you the exact same thing. Just because I am a teacher does not mean that I should expect the public to pay my ATPE dues. If the ATPE or any other professional teachers organization made calls to the general public to pay for my annual dues then I would call that a scam and not become involved in that organization. It is my option to be a member of ATPE just as it is for the Troopers in the State troopers association. Most of the money never gets to the troopers anyway and goes into the pockets of the President
Lee Johnson & Vice President Herschel Henderson's back pockets. Don't take my word for it just check out the Texas Attorney General's take on that association on the web.
bluebonnet

United States

#6 May 28, 2008
Earlier today, I received a call from the Texas State Troopers Association. Because I was busy with lunch, I simply said I could not talk at that time. The rude caller then asked "Then why did you answer the phone?!!" I immediately hung up the phone. I searched for a number to call the organization to report this but instead found the information that this was a scam. I will tell my acquaintances about this so they will not fall victim.
E Rollf

Fort Worth, TX

#7 Jun 16, 2008
I have donated to this organization for several years. Each time, the telemarketer posed a trooper. If payment was not prompt, the phone calls and reminder letter bombarded my household. After seeing the News 5 report, I am embarassed to say that I let myself be duped out of money that I couldn't always afford to give with the belief that it was going to a good cause.
Billy Bob

United States

#8 Jun 16, 2008
I like to donate to the trooper when he pulls me over. That way you know its going straight to the troopers.
Bellaire Jones

Bellaire, TX

#9 Nov 23, 2008
11/2008 - I just received a letter that I, too, have "Generously agreed to a pledge of $100" payable to the TSTA. What a load of crap!! My memory serves me very well and I certainly DID NOT pledge any such thing! The back side of the letter clearly states that the association is a non-charitable association and that donations are not deductible. Is that how they continue slipping (slithering) by the Attorney General's grasp? I know good, honest, well-intentioned people (many over 65 yrs old & on limited, fixed incomes) who will dutifully enclose a check as instructed on the very official-looking letter. These white-collar scam operators need jail time (and a boot in the rear-end).
Sanders wants to know

Boerne, TX

#11 Jan 6, 2009
Well I got a call from Mike Hill, Texas Hwy Patrol Assoc. He told me about the TSTA that I had been donating to for some year around 1990 but quit because my name and number got passed around. So is Texas Hwy Patrol Assoc lagit and does the money go the the survivors?
MoEmUrDa

Cypress, TX

#12 Jan 8, 2009
I used to work for these jackass's,(TSTA that is) & the type of working envirnment sucked. They would keep previous donated peeps in a special file and when there new campaing "kicked" off, they would pull all these peeps and call them first and they would get a commision on all that was collected..
ANGRYINDALLAS

Carrollton, TX

#13 Jan 14, 2009
I'm a ninety year old widow who received a phone call from the TSTA and began to mail it. Upon reflection, I Googled the TSTA and couldn't believe the number of other people who have gone through the same thing that I have. Lesson learned, Google first!!!
Brett Lomax

Conroe, TX

#14 Feb 23, 2009
Look at their form 990 on the Attorney General's site....then look at the 100 Club...my money goes to the 100 Club. Form 990 line #30- 100 Club 2006 Professional Fundraising Fees in '06 = ZERO and TSTA 2007 Professional Fundraising Fees =$2.45 Million. Where do you want your money going, to telemarketers or officers?
Tammy

Humble, TX

#16 Jun 1, 2009
I have been donating to the TSTA for YEARS. I had absolutely no idea it wasn't as real as they appeared. I will not be sending any more 'donations' to them. Next time I see the Firemen on the corner with their truck holding out a boot for donations, I think I'll give them a $20
FlyBy

San Antonio, TX

#18 Jun 26, 2009
I just got a call from these guys urging me to donate, asking whether I felt that the families of slain officers should be helped in their time of crisis... Well, after asking them to simply send me the envelope for my donation, I decided to look up TSTA... I normally wouldn't even bother, just send them a donation and be on my way, but a couple of things struck me as odd:
* "Trooper" Garcia spoke to me in Spanish the entire time, even though I spoke in English when I answered the phone.--Wouldn't normal procedure dictate that he speak to me in English if that is the language in which I answered the phone?
* The number that appeared on my caller ID appeared to be a personal phone number and came up as "Garcia, R." -- Shouldn't a so-called charitable organization have a phone bank that they would call from?
* He was VERY insistent on me sending any donation, no matter how small.-- I've been on the receiving end of some dedicated fundraisers, but he took it to another level...

All this made me look them up, and of course, they're a scam... Maybe I should send back a fake $100 bill, with a little note, "As real as you are." Any other ideas?
Jamie

Katy, TX

#19 Jul 30, 2009
I just got a pamphlet and a sticker asking me to send a $15.00 donation to a P.O. box in Richardson, Texas from the TSTA.
anonymous

Rockwall, TX

#20 Aug 16, 2009
i worked for this company. only 20% goes to the state troopers. watch out for the "breast cancer relief foundation" only 15% goes and it's the same office. also, convicted felons are handling credit card information. this is a terrible scam and i think someone should really do something about it.
Kim

Sherman, TX

#21 Aug 31, 2009
This scam is still in operation because I just received a call from them. Tell them that you do not give out money over the phone.
calvin

Arlington, TX

#22 Oct 17, 2009
Billy Bob wrote:
I like to donate to the trooper when he pulls me over. That way you know its going straight to the troopers.
Gee Billy boy have you ever been arrested for bribery? Stop lying you dumb ass.
Earl Fashbaugh

Spring, TX

#23 Oct 19, 2009
I pledged and then received the Texas State Troopers letter which clearly stated on the back side that this was a non-charitable organization. I sent back a letter, rescinding my pledge and asked to be removed from the list. This was done after checking the documentary on this group. It is too bad that this kind of predatory activity takes advantage of caring people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sexxxplay.com 13 min wanktime 1
News Pamela Geller's Inaugural $10k Muhammad Art Con... 2 hr Thinking 233
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 3 hr Whiny1 1,226
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 6 hr Sniffers 647
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 6 hr Release farts 830
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 15 hr Galt76 8,194
Would We Allow a Cartoon Contest to Disrespect ... 18 hr Culture Auditor 4
More from around the web

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]