Death penalty sought in Dallas office murder 4:29 PM CDT

Full story: Dallas Morning News

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against a man accused of gunning down an office worker during an attempted robbery, the Dallas County District Attorney's Office said Wednesday.
Comments
41 - 60 of 211 Comments Last updated Wednesday Jul 23
Martia

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2007

bird wrote:
<quoted text>
well, not all immigrant are the same. Most of us are hard workers and have respect for the law...but WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE EXPECT FROM A BRAINLESS PERSON LIKE YOU????
You are correct in that not all immigrants are the same..... BUT many of them want to remain citizens of their country....MEXICO.... and they remain here only to make money and return to the country they love. We do not blame them for that, just for the fact they don't respect our laws and if they want to work here, then they don't need to bite the hand that feeds them.
Here is the article I got from the newspaper when that happened in DEC 2006. Many people will say he should have been deported. But it clearly states that no action was taken.
Article in DM news :
Jose Heriberto Castro, 24, is a Mexican citizen who came to the U.S. legally, federal officials said. They were unclear about whether he could have been eligible for deportation as a result of the 2005 robbery but added that they never took action and were not asked by local authorities to deport him.
Jose Heriberto Castro "ICE has no record of any law enforcement agency contacting us for information about Mr. Castro" prior to Wednesday, said Carl Rusnok, a spokesman for the local office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. "As far as blame is concerned, I'm not able to analyze case history."
The attorney who represented Mr. Castro in the 2005 Richardson robbery where police said he held up a man with a knife has now been retained on behalf of Mr. Castro's family. He said that he questions whether police arrested the same man seen on surveillance video fatally shooting Karen Kristina Lafon of Garland.
"To me, that doesn't look like him," said Dallas attorney Ramon Rincon. He said Mr. Castro, who is unemployed and has no vehicle, was at home in the 9600 block of Forest Lane on Monday when the murder took place at 5:26 p.m.
Common Sense

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Martia wrote:
Now I am wondering, is this a case of mistaken identy or did they prove he really did it ?
Nothing has been "proven" in a court of law yet, but if you had seen the episode of A&E's "The First 48" detailing this senseless crime and the 48 hours after it, you wouldn't be asking if it's a case of mistaken identity. Jose Castro was positively identified in the images taken from the security cameras in the elevator where he encountered Karen LaFon - by his own parents and niece. And his alibi of "being at home all day watching tv" disintegrated in minutes when his own father said Jose was not home at 5:30pm when his parents got home (the murder took place at 5:20pm). The police then searched Jose's apartment and retrieved from his closet the very same sweatshirt he wore in the security camera videos while riding the elevator for 8 minutes stopping from floor to floor, stepping out and looking around for a victim. I hope there will be some DNA evidence to further bolster their case.

Am I all for Jose getting a fair trial? Absolutely. Am I confident that a jury of his peers will conclude that he is not only a cold-blooded murderer, but one of the stupidest ones at that? Even more so. Had he simply held Ms. LaFon up, not only would he have successfully stolen her bags and spared her life, he might have actually gotten away with it.
Martia

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing has been "proven" in a court of law yet, but if you had seen the episode of A&E's "The First 48" detailing this senseless crime and the 48 hours after it, you wouldn't be asking if it's a case of mistaken identity. Jose Castro was positively identified in the images taken from the security cameras in the elevator where he encountered Karen LaFon - by his own parents and niece. their case.
Am I all for Jose getting a fair trial? Absolutely. Am I confident that a jury of his peers will conclude that he is not only a cold-blooded murderer, but one of the stupidest ones at that? Even more so. Had he simply held Ms. LaFon up, not only would he have successfully stolen her bags and spared her life, he might have actually gotten away with it.
Thanks for that info, I don't have cable so I didn't see A & E. I don't understand why he wouldn't be a candidate for the death penalty, but then I don't understand a lot about trials.
The claims for a trial of his peers kind of alludes me because I was on a trial for someone from Mexico, with translator and all, and didn't seem to me that any of us were his peers.
Maybe DNA will nail him, so he cannot ever walk the streets again.
Disgusted

Mount Pleasant, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Judged:

The point is, he wasn't supposed to be here to begin with. Illegal immigrants are criminals to begin with, hence the term "illegal" immigrant. Laws are made to tell us what we are forbidden to do. It is against the law to enter this country illegally.
J Q citizen

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Judged:

classic example of our defective immigration policy. There is no reason why illeagel alliens are allowed to roam freely in our country
Neil Diamond

Bonney Lake, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

"Everywhere around the world, They comin' to America!"
Wake Up

Yucca Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Judged:

At some point a "racist idiot" becomes a realistic observer. Do you have any idea what percentage of crimes in this country are committed by illegal aliens. Why don't you investigate that a little bit. I'll give you an example from LAPD: 95% of all homicide fugitives in Los Angeles are illegal aliens. We all know who commits the crimes, we just don't say it.
Amen

Cypress, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Judged:

Could not have said it better "Wake Up".
TexasGirl

Cleburne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Actually, Jose Castro was NOT born in Dallas. He had a warrant from boarder patrol too, at the time of arrest.
Justice

Baldwin, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

I was completely outraged when I saw this episode! My heart goes out to the victim's family. If a white man attacked a hispanic or black, it would be all over the media; like another incident in Texas a month ago. But I have never seen ANY of the "fair" and "unbiased" media pick up this story. This woman was assaulted because she was white! Period! A&E would not have a show were it not for blacks and hispanics; we would live in a safe country!
Paul

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

Horrible is unreal crime this person jose Castro did .horrible totally.
Noah

Idyllwild, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

You guys are getting this wrong. He had outstanding immigration charges but immigrated to the United States from Mexico LEGALLY. Here is part of the article I read:

"Jose Heriberto Castro, 24, is a Mexican citizen who came to the U.S. legally, federal officials said. They were unclear about whether he could have been eligible for deportation as a result of the 2005 robbery but added that they never took action and were not asked by local authorities to deport him."

http://illegalaliensrunningamuk.blogspot.com/...

Nothing I have found specifies what the immigration charges were. They could be the slow system catching up to his 2005 Ag Robbery crime with relation to deportation, but nothing is stated that is what it is. It is kind of ironic that the site is titled Illegal Aliens Running Amuck, yet he was LEGAL. I personally hope he get the needle with the drug cocktail in his bony little arms (not really sure if that is how they do it in Texas, but that is how it is done here in California).
Also the show "48-Hours" said he lived with his mother and father when in fact it was his sister, brother-in-law and niece.
Just thought I would throw in some facts.
Noah

Idyllwild, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

Judged:

DallasTexan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jose Heriberto Castro, 24, is a Mexican citizen who came to the U.S. legally, federal officials said.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/d...
Punish the man for the crime not for his ethnicity. Once and for all, it is the man who is evil, not immigrants, legal or illegal. This is not am "Immigration" case. What is important to learn from this case is that our legal/justice system is overworked and understaffed. The bigger question then becomes why is the system overworked and understaffed? I promise you the answer is not because illegal immigrants are coming to this country just to commit crimes. I'm sure 100 people will come up with 100 different reasons why but in my modest opinion the system is overworked and understaffed because too much emphasis is placed on putting recreational pot smokers in jail. Educate yourself.
According to the show on A&E he admitted to smoking marijuana earlier that day. Is it possible he was high when he committed this crime? IMO you smoke pot, you deserve jail time, it is the root of a lot of crime in this country. People are killed just to get this crap smuggled in from Mexico, yet you think the legal system is flawed because of that ONE issue, maybe you should post when your not high, your points are completely invalid. The legal system is flawed for many and many of reasons.
Mike G

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

I have to say I did not think it was the same guy on the video. The thing that was strange was he did not get real upset about being arrested. I have a feeling the police have the wrong guy here. The guy on video moved around and acted different. I would have liked to see how the jacket fit him. The guy on the video seemed to wear it extra long.
Disgusted

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

you know what... just kill him. throw him into a dark hole somewhere... and make him suffer. torture him for 51 days, and then kill him. Jose Castro does not deserve life.
Steve505

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

Jose Castro.... what a piece of sh*t. And what's worse is he did it all for absolutely nothing. Big Bad Jose Castro shoots her in the back of the head, then he craps his pants so bad that he can't even get her purse off of her arm and he sprints away empty-handed.

Burn in hell you weak-minded, unevolved bastard.

MacZehn

Prescott Valley, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

I don't get why people keep harping on the immigration status of Castro... legal as it turns out...but does it really make a difference?

Noah....you probably think smoking weed supports terrorists and causes negroes to run wild, raping and killing whites, don't you? LOL If you think it's the root of a lot of crime, look to the 18th and 21st Amendments, and you'll see how that can be changed.
Sebastian

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

What's the latest on this case. Has it gone to trial? Are they seeking the death penalty?
Personally I do think he's guilty. It does look like him in the video, his own family confirmed that. The jacket found in his closet is just too much of a coincidence.
Let's remember not every pot head or illegal alien is a killer.
My heart goes out to Karen LaFon's family. What a tragedy that could happen to anyone.
Bev

Leyburn, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

I watched this on the First 48. What happened to this guy? I was truly moved by this senseless crime. I can't believe he could be so calculated and callous. If it wasn't for the great team of detectives in Dallas who helped solve this crime he could still be wandering the streets...
Dawn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Mike G from Chicago -

The detectives found the jacket the guy was wearing in the video in Jose's apartment... is there really a need for him to try it on??? Not only that but his Mother, Father, Sister and Niece all identified him in the surveillance photos.... it's a pretty clear cut case if you aske me and I do think he deserves the death penalty.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Dallas News Video

•••
•••

Dallas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Dallas News, Events & Info