Armstrong's Tour hopes 'finished' aft...

Armstrong's Tour hopes 'finished' after 8th stage

There are 40 comments on the SanLuisObispo.com story from Jul 11, 2010, titled Armstrong's Tour hopes 'finished' after 8th stage. In it, SanLuisObispo.com reports that:

Close the book on the Lance Armstrong era at the Tour de France. He has. The record seven-time champion wrote off his chances of victory in his 13th and last Tour, signaling the beginning of the end of one of the most celebrated and controversial careers in cycling history.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SanLuisObispo.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#1 Jul 11, 2010
...but what ''IF'' Contador,Schleck,Evans etc. have a run of bad luck like Lance.It is possible,'taint over 'til it's over,there are still a lot of miles to go...good luck Lance!!!
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#2 Jul 12, 2010
Lance head was not in the tour this year, he has made more mistakes in this tour than all his other Tours combined. He has too many distractions like interviews, fans wanting autographs and unproven allegations of all sorts.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#3 Jul 12, 2010
The God of sport said to him, "Lance my son, leave it to the younger riders!"
SpeedyPete

Vanderbijlpark, South Africa

#4 Jul 12, 2010
I predicted 3 months ago that Armstrong will not finish this tour. He's going to withdraw because of some or other "ailment".

“Carpe Diem”

Since: Mar 07

Bristol UK

#5 Jul 12, 2010
SpeedyPete wrote:
I predicted 3 months ago that Armstrong will not finish this tour. He's going to withdraw because of some or other "ailment".
he certainly seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time yesterday
Speed Racer

Ogden, UT

#6 Jul 12, 2010
Lance: make a run for the King of the Mountains, or really help Levi. What better way to go out than to help someone else win. Truly the mark of a great champion. Or get yourself in some breakaways to allow us to see you as a different type of racer.
Now you can have some fun and enjoy yourself.
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#7 Jul 12, 2010
Don't forget Carlos Sastre made one miracle run and won the TDF in 2008. If Lance can pull that out with a super run tomorrow he can erase all the gaps.
Rubber meets the road

United States

#8 Jul 12, 2010
All, remember at the begining of stage 10 in the 2001 TDF Lance was over 35 minutes behind the leader. After all the mountain stages he proved his hardness. He won that year.......

A little faith..
SpeedyPete

Cape Town, South Africa

#9 Jul 13, 2010
Rubber meets the road wrote:
All, remember at the begining of stage 10 in the 2001 TDF Lance was over 35 minutes behind the leader. After all the mountain stages he proved his hardness. He won that year.......
A little faith..
True but....Lance was only 29 years old then and he's 38 now.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

United States

#10 Jul 13, 2010
SpeedyPete wrote:
<quoted text>
He'll help his team mates out and he will never pull out of the TDF!

He definitely had his share of bad luck, but that is the way any event can take place.

Cheers

“Carpe Diem”

Since: Mar 07

Bristol UK

#11 Jul 13, 2010
SpeedyPete wrote:
<quoted text>
He certainly doesn’t look the man he was. I can't see him coming back, but I certainly hope he helps the team, that would help his character standing
Wang

Raleigh, NC

#12 Jul 13, 2010
This certainly isn't the Lance of yesteryear. It was a big surprise to see him being interviewed by and talking to Frankie Andreu (Verses reporter). Back in the day, he would have made mincemeat of Frankie.
SpeedyPete

Heidelberg, South Africa

#13 Jul 13, 2010
Andy Schleck!!! Contador, be warned!!

Pity about Evans bonking today.
athos

Luton, UK

#14 Jul 13, 2010
SpeedyPete wrote:
Andy Schleck!!! Contador, be warned!!
Pity about Evans bonking today.
You are right on both counts Speedy
A bit about Lance on British TV tonight, something from each of his wins, he sure looked young at the start of his first TDF win
I think he will make a mark in someway this year, but I hope it is his last TDF
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#15 Jul 13, 2010
...'taint over 'til it's over!!!
athos

London, UK

#16 Jul 14, 2010
Gus wrote:
...'taint over 'til it's over!!!
It is for Armstrong as far as winning goes.
You know I am always right Gus!!!!!!!!!
I see Evans is riding with a cracked elbow
Unless Schleck can do anything before the TT it is beginning to look like a Contador win
I have enjoyed the racing and British coverage so far, very much indeed, What is the coverage like on Canadian/South Africa/USA TV?
SpeedyPete

Heidelberg, South Africa

#17 Jul 14, 2010
athos wrote:
<quoted text>
I have enjoyed the racing and British coverage so far, very much indeed, What is the coverage like on Canadian/South Africa/USA TV?
On SABC news we only see everydays finish, about 10 seconds of it! I watch the race on my pc
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#18 Jul 14, 2010
I watch it twice a day in the USA. Great action and very unpredictable. Still anybody's race.
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#19 Jul 14, 2010
athos wrote:
<quoted text>It is for Armstrong as far as winning goes.
You know I am always right Gus!!!!!!!!!
I see Evans is riding with a cracked elbow
Unless Schleck can do anything before the TT it is beginning to look like a Contador win
...we get 3-4 1/2 hours per day,it used to be repeated later in the day but not this year,must be a money thing,therefore I tape it just in case I have to wash the dishes,don't wanna miss anything...
you ain't seen nothing yet,...GO LANCE!!!
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

United States

#20 Jul 14, 2010
Lance Armstrong has already stated that this 2010 TDF was his last one. He won't quit the race since he isn't a quitter and he has been known to help his team mates out on several occasions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tour de France Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TDF Shows Why Ex-Riders Not Administrators Shou... Jul 14 Jeff 2
Do you know where you will spend eternity? Jul 14 JacquelineDeane55 1
Tour de France Jul 14 Ivan penaherrera 1
Peter Jul 4 Tracy 1
News Saunier Duval - Prodir 2006 (Dec '05) Feb '17 CyclingPhartz 2
News Not Even Lance Deserves This (Dec '13) Jan '17 Phoenix 43
News Greg Lemond demands 'corrupt' cycling czars resign (Oct '12) Aug '16 Bikers 7
More from around the web