Tour de France: Voeckler wins stage 1...

Tour de France: Voeckler wins stage 15; Contador takes the yellow j...

There are 22 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 19, 2010, titled Tour de France: Voeckler wins stage 15; Contador takes the yellow j.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Andy Schleck has lost the overall lead in the Tour de France to defending champion Alberto Contador after having a mechanical problem in a 15th stage won by Thomas Voeckler.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
abc

Dublin, OH

#1 Jul 19, 2010
Poor sportsmanship by Contador. He was booed when he received the yellow jersey.
Toby

Candler, NC

#2 Jul 19, 2010
Contador knew that Schleck had to have a breakdown in order to beat him. Poor sportsmanship by Contador. Hope he wrecks and sees how it is.
Ken

Amory, MS

#3 Jul 19, 2010
Wow, what a stage! Contador would no doubt have criticized Schleck if the roles were reversed. I don't think he should have attacked but I still don't think Schleck can stay with Contador. Contador is just in a league by himself. Really comfortable it seems to me. Just my opinion.
Paul

Barrie, Canada

#4 Jul 19, 2010
Contador was 22-24 feet behind Schleck as the chain fell off, so, he lies saying he didn't know what happened to Andy. Contador just lost totally my respect.
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jul 20, 2010
It was fair game, it was not contador's fault that the chain dropped. sportsmanship is great but you do not have to wait if someone have mechanical problems, it is not in the rules, I know it is a TDF etiquette but it seems dumb to me--the money and the sponsorships are too great today being a winner is a must. some people even go to doping just to win.
Ahole

Norwalk, CA

#7 Jul 20, 2010
I can't believe it took Scleck so long to figure out he dropped his chain. I usually reach down and have my chain back on in ten seconds. Ok maybe 15. But it took him that long to figure out what happened.
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#8 Jul 21, 2010
I am glad that all of you agreed with me that it was fair game. The game is changing in the future people are not going to wait for those who fell either the money in sponsorship and betting is too great.
FIX THE SOFTWARE

Blacklick, OH

#9 Jul 21, 2010
The riders did not wait? What kind of **** is that? This is a race!

Hey Andy! Do the bunch in your group cross the stripe abreast?

I watch F1 racing. If it becomes known there is a problem with a car ahead of you
you are expected to push until that car breaks.

It's about being first, not TDF etiquette.
Kyle

United States

#10 Aug 1, 2010
As a young rider (16) if this is what adults out there think cycling is about. That it is about winning no matter what just cause of the money involved. That is not about being the best rider but if you can take advantage of others when they have bad luck. I have a great new sponsor and hope one day to ride in the TdF but if you guys are the type people that are either riding or watching!

Well, just quit now! The sport doesn't need any more bad sportsmen!

If I get to wear the yellow jersey one day I want it to be because I was the best rider not because I took advantage of some guys chain falling off.

So just do us all a favor start watching Nascar that seems more your speed!
FIX THE SOFTWARE

Blacklick, OH

#11 Aug 1, 2010
Chains fall off, cars go KA-BLOOEY. That's racing!

Waiting for someone until they fix the problem is touring. Maybe they ought to remove the competition aspect from the TDF, pack picnic lunches and just see the sights in the French countryside. They can build campfires, roast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya before going to sleep at night.

Contador did what everyone else WANTED to do. You have a choice. Enter and race to win or enter to be a sporting sort and lose. If you don't want to win then you should stay home.
Kyle

United States

#12 Aug 1, 2010
FIX THE SOFTWARE wrote:
Chains fall off, cars go KA-BLOOEY. That's racing!
Waiting for someone until they fix the problem is touring. Maybe they ought to remove the competition aspect from the TDF, pack picnic lunches and just see the sights in the French countryside. They can build campfires, roast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya before going to sleep at night.
Contador did what everyone else WANTED to do. You have a choice. Enter and race to win or enter to be a sporting sort and lose. If you don't want to win then you should stay home.
Like I said stick to NASCAR it seems perfect for you! I just don't you can get your head around the concept! Don't worry about it we all have our limitations!
snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#13 Aug 2, 2010
I don't see people waiting in the Freeways, Turn Piles or the Autobahn when other cars have mechanical problems. They wait for the tow truck .
FIX THE SOFTWARE

Blacklick, OH

#14 Aug 2, 2010
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said stick to NASCAR it seems perfect for you! I just don't you can get your head around the concept! Don't worry about it we all have our limitations!
No thanks. As I said before, I'm an F1 fan. NASCAR, even on the road courses is boring. The only thing worse is watching several hundred cyclists waiting on one guy to fix his bike. I hope you make it to the TDF but without a change in attitude there will be no white jerseys while you're a child or yellow ones after you grow up. On second thought, you might as well just get a job and bike to work. You don't seem able to get your head around the concept of winning.
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#15 Aug 2, 2010
If you want to wait and lose, be an amateur because you will never amount to much. If I know your real name Kyle you will never be a cycling pro Kyle. You are too sissy, what waiting so you can lose and make excuses for losing? Go drink from a milk bottle kid.
Kyle

United States

#16 Aug 2, 2010
Cyclingfan wrote:
If you want to wait and lose, be an amateur because you will never amount to much. If I know your real name Kyle you will never be a cycling pro Kyle. You are too sissy, what waiting so you can lose and make excuses for losing? Go drink from a milk bottle kid.
Again this just shows none of you know what cycling is really about. What I it really means to they cyclist that are out there every day pushing with everything we have to be the best we can be. I am currently ranked in the top 5 in my class. I have already been contacted by pro scouts. I know how to win a race and have done it many times. And whatever my name is I really don't think you could do shit to stop me or anyone else from becoming a pro. Who the heck do you think you are the Cycling King? Have you done a 10K climb? Do you do at least once every week? Have you worked with a team to put your teams sprinter in 1st place at the cost of your position in the race? I have and do. Just because I feel that winning a race means proving I'm the best rider not the best guy at taking advantage of someone else mechanical problems doesn't make me a sissy it makes me a sportsman!

And tell you what if one day you see the winner of the TdF flip the finger at the camera thats from me to you!
Kyle

United States

#17 Aug 2, 2010
FIX THE SOFTWARE wrote:
<quoted text>
No thanks. As I said before, I'm an F1 fan. NASCAR, even on the road courses is boring. The only thing worse is watching several hundred cyclists waiting on one guy to fix his bike. I hope you make it to the TDF but without a change in attitude there will be no white jerseys while you're a child or yellow ones after you grow up. On second thought, you might as well just get a job and bike to work. You don't seem able to get your head around the concept of winning.
See what i said to CyclingFan - that finger will be for you too!
FIX THE SOFTWARE

Blacklick, OH

#18 Aug 3, 2010
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
See what i said to CyclingFan - that finger will be for you too!
What color jersey do they give the guy(s) who helps someone else win? Pink?

I'll bet you like soccer too. HA!!
Cyclingfan

San Francisco, CA

#19 Aug 3, 2010
Stay in school Kyle you will never be any good, you are ranked #50 because you took steroids. People do not wait for people anymore, the sponsors and the moneyman will kill you if you do, grow up, I am telling you the truth. Being a chef or a box boy in a market is more of your pace.
Ahole

Norwalk, CA

#20 Aug 4, 2010
Kyle, you have the right attitude. You can be my domestique any time.
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
Again this just shows none of you know what cycling is really about. What I it really means to they cyclist that are out there every day pushing with everything we have to be the best we can be. I am currently ranked in the top 5 in my class. I have already been contacted by pro scouts. I know how to win a race and have done it many times. And whatever my name is I really don't think you could do shit to stop me or anyone else from becoming a pro. Who the heck do you think you are the Cycling King? Have you done a 10K climb? Do you do at least once every week? Have you worked with a team to put your teams sprinter in 1st place at the cost of your position in the race? I have and do. Just because I feel that winning a race means proving I'm the best rider not the best guy at taking advantage of someone else mechanical problems doesn't make me a sissy it makes me a sportsman!
And tell you what if one day you see the winner of the TdF flip the finger at the camera thats from me to you!
Kyle

United States

#21 Aug 4, 2010
Ahole wrote:
Kyle, you have the right attitude. You can be my domestique any time.
<quoted text>
Finally! Someone who knows what cycling is about! Thanks! My current team has talked a lot about what happened and our sponsor made it VERY clear that if any of us pulled a stunt like that we would not be riding for them any more. Most sponsors don't want riders who are not good sportsmen. Not only does it give the rider a bad reputation it does the same for the sponsor.

I'm not sure what happened that made being a good sport such a bad thing.:(

And that if I am a good sport and do win races then I must be doping.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomas Voeckler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wiggins tightens grip; another French victory o... (Jul '12) May '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 5
News Tour de France Stage 18 -- The Alps never disap... (Jul '11) Jul '11 JEFFRY HELMS 2
News Tour De France | Schleck upset by chain mishap ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 William 6
News Contador takes the lead (Jul '10) Jul '10 Cyclingfan 2
News Etiquette breach fuels anger (Jul '10) Jul '10 Cyclingfan 3
News International Cycling Union revoke Bbox Bouygue... (Sep '09) Oct '09 ZENmud 2
News Tour de France: Climbs will test Armstrong (Jul '09) Jul '09 goslipstream 1
More from around the web