Ex-Cycling Champ Riis Admits to Dopin...

Ex-Cycling Champ Riis Admits to Doping

There are 66 comments on the The Associated Press story from May 25, 2007, titled Ex-Cycling Champ Riis Admits to Doping . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

“Now time has come to put the cards on the table”

Former Danish cyclist Bjarne Riis admitted Friday he used performance-enhancing drugs during his 1996 Tour de France victory.

'I have taken doping. I have taken EPO,' Riis said during a televised news conference. 'I have made errors and I would like to apologize.'

Riis said he also used cortisone and human growth hormone, and that he didn't suffer any side effects from EPO, a blood-boosting hormone.

'The only effect I had was that I rode faster,' he said.

Riis said he used the substances from 1993 to 1998, including during his Tour victory. Riis said he no longer considers himself a worthy winner of the Tour, and indicated he would be willing to give back the title. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“crystelZENmud”

Since: Jan 07

Reality City

#62 Jul 3, 2007
Didn't finish my own thought (like that's NEVER happened, heh heh):

"you could MAYBE drink about 4L of water three minutes before winning your stage"

a- but you'd be beaten by those following;
b- but one can only ingest X/cl of fluids per hour...
c- EPO techies know how to keep you riding at a decent 45-47% ceiling...

Just ask my buddy, Mr 60%... har har...

ZENback

“crystelZENmud”

Reality City

#63 Jul 3, 2007
Gus!

When I first moved to Denver, on one of my passages through the airport, I 'bought' a Hare Krishna book for about $1.00.

In So. Denver, the house I shared with my bro (my legal guardian through parents' divorce) was on THE ROUTE for all the 'crazies': Mormons, Seventh Day Ad's, Scientologists, you name it...

But when I 'shielded' mySelf with that Krishna Book, with 'The Eternal Light' in my face, they RAN ran RAN away...

ZENtryit
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
...hey Zen...an oldie...what do get when you cross a Jehovah w. with an Agnostic? someone who comes to your door and just stands there shrugging his/her shoulders...cheers.

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

#64 Jul 4, 2007
I can remember seeing Hari Krishnars at airports all through the 1970s'. You don't see them anymore.

Cheers

“crystelZENmud”

Reality City

#65 Jul 5, 2007
RIIS STAYS AWAY FROM TdF.

Source:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2007/200...

QUOTE:
«Je ne l'(la décision) ai pas prise non plus car je me sens touché par ces accusations. Mais je n'ai tout simplement pas la force de bien aider mes coureurs le long du Tour de France».

ZENtrans:

"I didn't take it (the decision) either because I feel touched by these accusations [ed: by other D-Telekom riders]. But I simply didn't have the force to aid well my racers throughout the Tour de France."

He also claimed in this short article that the decision was 100% his, without pressure from any party.

Bjarne, I think you're the M. Gorbachev of cycling: with the visions of past and future failures, you have done the right thing; this decision at least gives you peace of mind, watching a TdF that at least will have less verbal abuse, at your expense, from all media sources (I HOPE).

See you next year!

ZEN2008
PS: I type *1998* for this post (cough: festina)

El Paso, Texas

#66 Jul 5, 2007
Seeing what Riis had accomplished with the CSC cycling team and shown himself at being an excellent team manager, it'll be sad for the team riders that he won't be with them at the TDF.

I found questionable qualities within Riis's behavior during the TDF as they surprised me. But, once he became a cycling team manager I saw a man whom I believe was born for the job and tasks at hand.

The final decision of Riis staying away from this years TDF may well have been his decision. But, I believe that he probably spoke with others within the CSC structure and even with the sponsors.

But, as he admitted that he dopped and cheated, than that was the best decision that he could have made as he allowed the TDF to shut out Ivan Basso from last years TDF.

I personally think that Riis faced a completely new environment and situation when Operation Puerto came out before the start of the 2006 TDF. A situation that may have left him clueless. With his knowledge of his own dopping, he probably found him self in, "I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't" sarnario.

We'll never know now, but if:
If Riis had taken better responsibility with Ivan Basso and really talked with him, they both could have come out together last year in admitting the truth. That was needed for the sport of cycling right there and than.

Than maybe the other riders would have come out all the sooner in admitting to their dopping and cheating. That in turn could have possably caused UCI, WADA, and ASO in working in a different direction with the teams and riders.

But, we'll never know as it never happened. But, what we do know is that it's become a "Soap Opera Circus."

Many seem to think that the TDF in itself is far greater than the sport of cycling. Granted that the TDF is a great cycling event and I love watching it every year. But, it would be dislusional to ever believe that the TDF is greater than the sport of cycling.

Only select riders get to compete in the TDF, while everyone the world over gets to paticipate in cycling. Face it, the costs are far better than driving a gas hog! And you pass every gas station while the idiot in the gas hog has to stop and gas up!

El Paso, Texas

#67 Jul 7, 2007
Armstrong slams Prudhomme
By Gregor Brown

Seven-time Tour de France winner critisied Tour Director Christian Prudhomme for his actions regarding Bjarne Riis. The Texan referred to the Frenchman as a "hypocrite" for wanting to take away Riis 1996 Tour jersey following the Dane's confession to doping during the same year.

"The hypocrisy of certain directors irritates me," Armstrong said, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "After the confession of Riis, Prudhomme asked for the return of the yellow jersey. Why did he never ask Virenque for his polka-dot jerseys? To Thévenet for his two yellow jerseys? The family of Anquetil for his five yellow jerseys?"

In his confession on May 26 the Team Manager of CSC stated, "My yellow jersey is in a box in my garage at home. You can come and collect it. What matters to me are my memories."

Over the last month pressure has been put on Riis by the ASO, including its president Patrice Clerc saying that the former Tour winner was not welcome at this year's event. In a press release yesterday Riis distanced himself from the Tour for the sake of his team riders.

"I have chosen not to be actively involved in this year's edition of the Tour apart from the obligations I have towards my sponsors," stated Riis. "It has been a very difficult decision, but it is mine alone and is not made because of pressure from the outside, nor does it in any way reflect on whether there is any truth to the allegations."

Like I stated before, I have only see dounble standards being conducted here by the ASO. If you're going to hold one man accountable, than you need to hold every dopping cheater accountable.

That also goes double for all the UCI and WADA so-called acredited labs! If Dicky Pounder is going to state that his labs are acredited, than that means that they have to beup to valid standards and need to be in uniform compliance with one another.

Cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

T-Mobile Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Opinion: Should we just stop asking about doping? (Jul '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 31
News Armstrong begins cycling comeback in Australia (Jan '09) Apr '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 51
News If Lance Armstrong wants to redeem himself, he ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 My_Opinion_El_Pas... 15
News Chris Kirwan Says: Tour doubters are not dopes (Jul '12) Jul '12 My Opinion_El Pas... 6
News Boonen bored of doping "soap operas" as he clos... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Couch Potato 1
News Ullrich banned for blood doping (Feb '12) Feb '12 fan 1
News Lance Armstrong and American Exceptionalism (May '11) Aug '11 mogwai73 12
More from around the web