Rob Oller commentary: Armstrong alleg...

Rob Oller commentary: Armstrong allegations cloud his good deeds | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 15 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 24, 2011, titled Rob Oller commentary: Armstrong allegations cloud his good deeds | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

While not brain surgery, sports often ask us to dig inside our skulls to contemplate complicated issues.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Mountainsofmiser y

Sheridan, AR

#1 May 24, 2011
Give it up already. He's retired. He's not hoping to go into the Hall of Fame like a baseball player. It doesn't matter anymore. If Hincapie says Armstrong doped, and there is some dispute he did, that would cinch it for me but again, so what? Are they going to strip him of one or more TDF titles? To whom would they give the title? The 2nd place finisher was a doper, so was the 3rd place finisher. You think the ASO wants to open that can of worms? Was he doping through 4 of the 7 TDF wins? Who knows? Who can prove it? Would I trust a French lab to retest "B" samples held in freezer for several years? Not a chance. It's not like HGH, the drug (EPO) they are accusing him of taking showed up in samples taken from other cyclists all during the 2000's. Why not him? Maybe his doctors created a program that started and ended at precise times to avoid detection but the fact is he was tested more frequently then anyone.He was the strongest cyclist of his era whether he was doping or not. Now, do a story on Tiger Woods. There has to be something going on with his body breaking down and HGH use. That guy is the Barry Bonds of golf, I think.
is he clean or not

Columbus, OH

#2 May 24, 2011
still no real proof that Lance Armstrong is honestly clean. no one can honestly say that Lance was not doping while he competed on the tour. can not claim he is any type of icon or hero until he Lance is willing to prove once and for all that he is honestly clean. his words mean nothing at this point. until then, he is just another also ran dirty biker
John Thorpe

Columbus, OH

#3 May 24, 2011
Mountainsofmisery wrote:
Give it up already. He's retired. He's not hoping to go into the Hall of Fame like a baseball player. It doesn't matter anymore. If Hincapie says Armstrong doped, and there is some dispute he did, that would cinch it for me but again, so what? Are they going to strip him of one or more TDF titles? To whom would they give the title? The 2nd place finisher was a doper, so was the 3rd place finisher. You think the ASO wants to open that can of worms? Was he doping through 4 of the 7 TDF wins? Who knows? Who can prove it? Would I trust a French lab to retest "B" samples held in freezer for several years? Not a chance. It's not like HGH, the drug (EPO) they are accusing him of taking showed up in samples taken from other cyclists all during the 2000's. Why not him? Maybe his doctors created a program that started and ended at precise times to avoid detection but the fact is he was tested more frequently then anyone.He was the strongest cyclist of his era whether he was doping or not. Now, do a story on Tiger Woods. There has to be something going on with his body breaking down and HGH use. That guy is the Barry Bonds of golf, I think.
What flavor is your kool-aid?
Irony

Dublin, OH

#4 May 24, 2011
It's ironic that the sentence, "But lack of integrity is an illness unto itself" is published in the Columbus Dispatch, given the blatant lying and moralizing from tOSU and Tressel. Whether it is Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, or Jim Tressel, I am amazed by the willingness to deny and/or rationalize an obvious misdeed. I guess that's what high priced lawyers advocate. I hope I don't need one someday, and if I do, I hope I have the cash to afford one.
Crooks Cycle Right

Lancaster, OH

#5 May 24, 2011
Dear Rob,
It is interesting that I could not find ANY coverage of the Tour of California in the Dispatch. Maybe the Dispatch Sports Department has not heard of it since it is a recent event here in the US. Since you are unaware of the event, it contained last years TdF runner up/near winner + the cream of US cycling. The podium was all US that was the result of an outstanding week of racing.
Yet, the Dispatch Sports Dept. is obsessed with the gossip of cycling from Tyler Hamilton. You should decide if you are a write about sport or gossip of sport and name your sections accordingly.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#6 May 24, 2011
The main theme that I haven't seen in any of this so far from Floyd Landis or Tyler Hamilton or George Hancapi or anyone else is, "how did Lance Armstrong beat all those drug tests during all of those races during those reported years!"
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#7 May 24, 2011
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas wrote:
The main theme that I haven't seen in any of this so far from Floyd Landis or Tyler Hamilton or George Hancapi or anyone else is, "how did Lance Armstrong beat all those drug tests during all of those races during those reported years!"
...I'll say it again,Lance had nothing to beat,since he said he didn't indulge!!!
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#8 May 25, 2011
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
...I'll say it again,Lance had nothing to beat,since he said he didn't indulge!!!
I was referring to the other posters!

I already knew your views.
earplugs needed

Columbus, OH

#9 May 27, 2011
Crooks Cycle Right wrote:
Dear Rob,
It is interesting that I could not find ANY coverage of the Tour of California in the Dispatch. Maybe the Dispatch Sports Department has not heard of it since it is a recent event here in the US. Since you are unaware of the event, it contained last years TdF runner up/near winner + the cream of US cycling. The podium was all US that was the result of an outstanding week of racing.
Yet, the Dispatch Sports Dept. is obsessed with the gossip of cycling from Tyler Hamilton. You should decide if you are a write about sport or gossip of sport and name your sections accordingly.
Well put. When does cycling get ANY coverage other than Armstrong/doping/Pelotonia?
How many Dispatch readers know that there are more Americans in the top ranks of the sport than ever before, which include many interesting and engaging personalities? How many know that it is a team sport even, much less that there are three American-based teams at the top level? How can they know, or care, when all that is ever presented to them is a steady diet of Armstrong and scandal?

Although I do note that the "gossip of sport" is a strong component of the coverage of all sports overall---why we are treated to column inches about this retired player's divorce or that forgotten retired player's illness...

Out at the Tour of California, in Los Angeles, I saw reporters and video news crews from countries all over the Europe -- but never a mention of the the USA's biggest pro cycling event in the sports section.
earplugs needed

Columbus, OH

#10 May 27, 2011
I do wonder why so many in our society demand higher standards of those who aspire to greater things -- but only some of those. Is the charitable work of Bill Clinton irrelevant or to be discounted because he is also a proven cheat and liar? How about the Kennedy family?

Livestrong and the LAF are worthy entities, and will continue to be, and the advocacy work Armstrong has done will also continue to be worthy of respect, even if his foolish denials of the reality of his sport are proven false.
SpeedyPete

Cape Town, South Africa

#11 May 29, 2011
Armstrong...what a silly name for a cycler. Should have been Legstrong
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

United States

#12 May 29, 2011
earplugs needed wrote:
I do wonder why so many in our society demand higher standards of those who aspire to greater things -- but only some of those. Is the charitable work of Bill Clinton irrelevant or to be discounted because he is also a proven cheat and liar? How about the Kennedy family?
Livestrong and the LAF are worthy entities, and will continue to be, and the advocacy work Armstrong has done will also continue to be worthy of respect, even if his foolish denials of the reality of his sport are proven false.
Good point!
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

United States

#13 May 29, 2011
SpeedyPete wrote:
Armstrong...what a silly name for a cycler. Should have been Legstrong
Hey Pieter, how is your wife doing now since her surgery?
SpeedyPete

Cape Town, South Africa

#14 May 29, 2011
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Pieter, how is your wife doing now since her surgery?
Hello Harry and thanks for asking. She's recuperating slowly but nicely. She can drive her car again and go to the mall. She also started nagging again which is a good sign!!

But she will never be her old self again as this is an incurable disease. We will just have to make the best of it.

Cheers

Pieter
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#15 May 31, 2011
SpeedyPete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Harry and thanks for asking. She's recuperating slowly but nicely. She can drive her car again and go to the mall. She also started nagging again which is a good sign!!
But she will never be her old self again as this is an incurable disease. We will just have to make the best of it.
Cheers
Pieter
Glad to hear that your wife is recovering and relly like that she's back to nagging you.

You are so right about not being able to cure her illness, but it's always nice if she has a little better quality now in life, in comparason to what she had to endure before the surgery.

Cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phonak Hearing Systems Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Not Even Lance Deserves This (Dec '13) Oct '14 stefanbed53 41
News Can Armstrong ever be forgiven? (Sep '14) Oct '14 stefanbed53 5
News Opinion: Should we just stop asking about doping? (Jul '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 31
News Lance Armstrong doping documentary contrasts be... (Oct '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 4
News Tygart waits for Armstrong to be part of the so... (May '13) Aug '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 3
News Tour convenes former riders for 100th edition (Jul '13) Jul '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 6
News 5 things to know about Tour de France (Jul '13) Jul '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 12
More from around the web