Ullrich planning to write a book

Jun 18, 2008 Full story: www.cyclingnews.com
Making a rare public appearance at the opening of his brother's bike shop in Berlin on Friday, Jan Ullrich announced his intention to write a book. The German reportedly wants to tell his side of the story after the revelations from the Operación Puerto doping investigation forced a premature end to his cycling career and virtual disappearance from the sport.

"I will write a book, to put forth my view of things, but first I have to gather energy for it," Ullrich told German press agency dpa. "Cycling will clean itself," he added. "The sponsors go away, the money goes away. Then people will ride for the love of it."

Now 34 years old, Ullrich revealed that he only rides his bike "out of passion". He has withdrawn from the public eye almost entirely since announcing his retirement in February 2007, a decision he described as "like shooting a hole in my heart". The 1997 Tour de France winner said he may watch this year's race on television, but only sporadically. "That brings back too many memories," he said. "Of course it is painful." Full Story
Wade Jacobson

Richmond, VA

#1 Jun 20, 2008
Boxers come out of retirement, why can't Jan?

“The truth will set you free...”

Since: Jul 07

Lisbon

#2 Jun 26, 2008
Wade Jacobson wrote:
Boxers come out of retirement, why can't Jan?
Hi Wade... it's virtually impossible that Jan Ullrich comes out of retirement. The UCI still hasn't pronounced in his case and due to the fact that he may be considered a second time offender (in what doping is concerned and although he hasn't been convicted), he could face a lifetime ban.

And I'm sure there are strong personal and organizational interests to keep him away from the sport...

Se what they're doing to the remarkable kid, Alberto Contador. I hope he wins the Vuelta and show everyone what a fantastic rider he is. The three Grand Tours in less than 2 years... and he's soooooo young !!!

I believe Jan is/was the most talented in years and remained true to himself, with his qualities and flaws... that's why he has so many true fans.

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

#3 Jun 26, 2008
Yes, that is one book that I will buy immediatelly upon its release.

Thanks for coming over to the Floyd Landis forum and reminding me that I need to check in here more often Mogwai73.

Cheers Everyone

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paolo Bettini Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mark Cavendish gives himself 'outside chance' o... (Sep '10) Oct '10 William MDanjon D... 6
Brief results, full report & photos (Sep '08) Sep '08 morg 1
Spanish rider critical of proposed DNA testing (Nov '06) Nov '07 ZENmud 21
UCI blasts Bettini, Italy (Sep '07) Oct '07 My Opinion_El Pas... 21
Pro Tour 2007 - Bettini: Test me, I quit (Dec '06) Feb '07 My Opinion_El Pas... 5
Time for change in the sport (Dec '06) Feb '07 My Opinion_El Pas... 3
No medals for Aussies at cycling titles (Sep '06) Sep '06 Jason 1
•••
•••

Paolo Bettini People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••