Give Lance Armstrong another chance?

Full story: CNN 110
CNN asked for views on whether disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong deserves another chance in light of his apologies to his charity, Livestrong, and his soon-to-be-aired interview with Oprah Winfre y, in which it's widely reported he admitted he used performance-enhancing drugs . Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
HELLNO

San Diego, CA

#1 Jan 16, 2013
ummmm NO
turtle

Huddersfield, UK

#2 Jan 16, 2013
what on earth are these people thinking!!
Give Lance Armstrong another chance? how can you even consider it, the man has been ruthless in his quest for money, fame, and winning at all costs.
Do not let the man try to sucker everyone again!! because there are those people out there who will support him whatever, they are blind to his wrong doings and just fing crazy and nuts.
litesong

Everett, WA

#3 Jan 16, 2013
I supported Lance Armstrong in several topix forums & threads, believing he was innocent, even despite numerous bicyclists testifying against him. But now, he is guilty & more than of personal usage of drugs.

The sins of Lance Armstrong goes beyond his personal involvement with drugs, which is reprehensible.
Professional bicycling is a team event in the greatest definition of the concept. Lance constructed & led several teams of competitors. Testimony from many competitors named Mr. Armstrong as a doper..... even bicyclers on his own team & of his own country. Beyond that, & due to his leadership, more testimony stated that he encouraged others to dope, if not outright, demanded that other teammates dope.

Yes, by definition, it appears that Mr. Armstrong must have been a drug dealer or as near to a drug dealer as you can get.

The wreckage to professional bicycling is worse than the bicycle accidents that sent riders over cliffs or into a barb-wire fence! Such an honorable sport, showing true courage by partakers, is cut to pieces by drugs, those that use drugs & now those that run drug rings behind the scenes.
JustsayN

San Diego, CA

#4 Jan 16, 2013
litesong wrote:
I supported Lance Armstrong in several topix forums & threads, believing he was innocent, even despite numerous bicyclists testifying against him. But now, he is guilty & more than of personal usage of drugs.
Don't feel bad, a lot of stupid dumb ass bitches like yourself believed his lies..........lol
litesong

Everett, WA

#5 Jan 16, 2013
just say troll wrote:
....bitches like yourself
Stuff your b(r)itches with poison ivy........
Magadala

Brownsville, OR

#6 Jan 16, 2013
He's over, he's done, stick a fork in it!!!

Remember when you left Cheryl Crow when she had breast cancer....Mr. Prostrate cancer survivor...OPPORTUNIST?!!!
rfirma1

Columbia, MD

#7 Jan 17, 2013
litesong wrote:
The sins of Lance Armstrong goes beyond his personal involvement with drugs, which is reprehensible.
Professional bicycling is a team event in the greatest definition of the concept. Lance constructed & led several teams of competitors. Testimony from many competitors named Mr. Armstrong as a doper..... even bicyclers on his own team & of his own country. Beyond that, & due to his leadership, more testimony stated that he encouraged others to dope, if not outright, demanded that other teammates dope.
Yes, by definition, it appears that Mr. Armstrong must have been a drug dealer or as near to a drug dealer as you can get.
The wreckage to professional bicycling is worse than the bicycle accidents that sent riders over cliffs or into a barb-wire fence! Such an honorable sport, showing true courage by partakers, is cut to pieces by drugs, those that use drugs & now those that run drug rings behind the scenes.
oh c'mon! the sport hasn't been drug free and clean since the 1960's when eddie merycx ruled the sport....and even he tested positive for banned substances at least three times.

“2014 TDF”

Since: Mar 09

Boca Raton, FL.

#8 Jan 17, 2013
Magadala wrote:
He's over, he's done, stick a fork in it!!!
Remember when you left Cheryl Crow when she had breast cancer....Mr. Prostrate cancer survivor...OPPORTUNIST?!!!
I'm a cyclist. When Lance first denied using PEDs, I had my doubts. When the news of Lance giving up the fight came out, my initial opinion was; damn! He did it. Why else would any man, with 7 TDF wins under his jersey would not defend his position, if the allegations against him are a sham?

His confession adds insult to injury and demeans him, the United States, and the entire sport of cycling. I'd be surprised if guys like Tejay Vangarderen will ever be recognized as the cyclist he is, because of the shame Lance has brought to this country and to the sport.

BTW, it wasn't prostate cancer; it was testicular cancer. And IMHO, any cancer survivor deserves a little credit. While I don't believe it's necessary for the whole world to bury him where he stands, when he's already buried himself, I do believe he deserves a minute amount of credit for beating a terminal disease.
litesong

Everett, WA

#9 Jan 17, 2013
litesong wrote:
Beyond that, & due to his leadership, more testimony stated that he encouraged others to dope, if not outright, demanded that other teammates dope.
//////////
rfirma1 wrote:
......the sport hasn't been drug free and clean since the 1960's.......
/////////
litesong wrote:
rfirma1....... Given.
As I stated, it isn't about Armstrong, individually taking drugs. Its about entire teams constructed to run as a drug unit, & run by a drug dealer. If all the truth does come out, it is about the bicycle teams, & peloton, surrounded, supported & operated by drug dealer rings.
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#10 Jan 17, 2013
...all we are sayyying,is give LANCE a chance!...piece Bruddas!:-)

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#11 Jan 17, 2013
Gus wrote:
...all we are sayyying,is give LANCE a chance!...piece Bruddas!:-)
What other chance should he be given, in your opinion? What other chance do you think he deserves?
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#12 Jan 17, 2013
Conservative Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
What other chance should he be given, in your opinion? What other chance do you think he deserves?
...time to give it a rest CD,stop being a bunch of vindictive a-hles,maybe you should bring up Monica & Bill for a change of pace,can't you think something better get your Jollies from...get a life! he didn't murder anyone!
Cycling fan

San Francisco, CA

#13 Jan 17, 2013
Gus is an evil jerk, Lance is wrong and lied for too many years about it. Gus also lied along with Lance, Gus should no longer be on this board.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#15 Jan 17, 2013
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>...time to give it a rest CD,stop being a bunch of vindictive a-hles,maybe you should bring up Monica & Bill for a change of pace,can't you think something better get your Jollies from...get a life! he didn't murder anyone!
It was a valid question Gus.
Cycling fan2

Gouda, Netherlands

#16 Jan 17, 2013
He didn't only dope. He lied against everybody, he deceived. years and years he covered it all up. And now he is trying to tell everybody that he had no choice, whitout really telling it. He was forced! we should all forgive him! please.. this sorry-society is really stupid, don't say sorry if you don't mean it. He has to tell the truth, now its out there and he has to go into court anyway and he would completely stupid if he tries to lie his way out of this again! He has to!

I hope he goes to jail for lying under oath. He deserves it.
Bart

Bushfield, Australia

#17 Jan 17, 2013
Suffer in your jocks Armstrong, you cheat!
Klivestrong48

Lake Charles, LA

#18 Jan 17, 2013
Taking more courage to do what he doing now than anything he's done. All you haters, look at yourself
Klivestrong48

Lake Charles, LA

#19 Jan 17, 2013
Didn't hear him ask for forgiveness.?????
rfirma1

Columbia, MD

#20 Jan 18, 2013
Klivestrong48 wrote:
Taking more courage to do what he doing now than anything he's done. All you haters, look at yourself
i have to disagree with you on that........Lance's greatest courage took place when he was fighting cancer and survived. not only survived but came back to dominate the sport of cycling.......doping or no doping........all his competitors were doing the very same thing only they didn't have to fight a life threatening disease.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#21 Jan 18, 2013
Cycling fan2 wrote:
He didn't only dope. He lied against everybody, he deceived. years and years he covered it all up. And now he is trying to tell everybody that he had no choice, whitout really telling it. He was forced! we should all forgive him! please.. this sorry-society is really stupid, don't say sorry if you don't mean it. He has to tell the truth, now its out there and he has to go into court anyway and he would completely stupid if he tries to lie his way out of this again! He has to!
I hope he goes to jail for lying under oath. He deserves it.
As much as I am an advocate for justice, blind justice (yes, I mean a conviction for perjury), in my professional opinion, he won't do a day in prison. I may be wrong, but in 17 years of practicing law, I can gauge these matters quite closely and I think there's way too much compelling argument in mitigation of sentence that can easily be won by a 1L.

The feds dropped their case against him. So, that's out, especially if they dropped it with prejudice. Strike 1.

USADA can't seek criminal penalties because they are in charge of monitoring doping and enforcing anti-doping laws. Plus, they already stripped him of his winnings and banned him from professional cycling, which was his livelihood. Strike 2.

He initially denied doping. Then, he decided not to defend. IMPO, that's tantamount to an admission of guilt, but that's only a presumption, not a fact.

He's now confessed. The amount of monetary restitution he'll have to make, to sponsors and the U.S. Government, is in the tenths of millions of dollars. Him sitting in jail will not guarantee the Government recoups even 1% of that amount.
Strike 3.

Like it or not, his confession has probably acted to his benefit.

FTR, I'm also a cyclist, although not a professional cyclist (I'm too old for that). Lance was a personal icon of mine and also to my cycling team. While watching the youtube videos of his winnings still brings an iota of positive emotion, it's mainly directed to the performance of a very well conditioned and extremely passionate athlete who wanted nothing more than to win at competition. You simply can't punish any athlete for wanting to win.

The type of doping Lance did, did not turn him into the proverbial "Popeye" after eating spinach. It mainly just enhanced, and not by much, abilities he already possessed.

But, I can't say I respect him much as a cyclist anymore, and even reminiscing on the wins is immediately clouded by the fact that the winnings were not "clean" winnings. Lance brought shame on himself, the sport of cycling and the United States. I simply can't really respect a man, or a woman if he/she does that. I can respect their passion and their athletic abilities, but not the person.

Be that as it may, I think Lance's punishment out of prison, will be far more unbearable than in prison. Having to wake up every day to face your kids and knowing your kids know you lied, would be too much for me to bear and if he's half the father I am, it should also be unbearable to him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lance Armstrong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Not Even Lance Deserves This (Dec '13) Oct '14 stefanbed53 41
Can Armstrong ever be forgiven? Oct '14 stefanbed53 5
Shadows on the Road, by Michael Barry (Apr '14) Apr '14 Donna OBrien 1
Cycling: Lance Armstrong 'still lying' says USA... (Jan '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 27
Lance Armstrong: Interview with Oprah Winfrey d... (Jan '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 2
Lance Armstrong Reveals Names, Details of Dopin... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 1
Opinion: Should we just stop asking about doping? (Jul '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 31
More from around the web